Old 27-03-2005, 02:10 PM
Dick Adams

"Roy" wrote in message =
oups.com...

... I have seen natural sourdoughs leavened with the
final dough flour to starter ratio of 55/45 and it really ferments
and proof really fast as if yeast was added; when the fact is ii was
just 100% naturally leavened! ...

Aha!

Could that be taken to mean that the "sponge" method can be applied
to sourdough baking?

Old 27-03-2005, 03:27 PM
Dick Adams

"Repeating Rifle" wrote in message=20

... I now thought that you would be pleased with me for avoiding =

store
bought yeast. ...

Of course! We are very pleased. And now it can be hoped that another
brief interval in geologic time will bring the realization that the ABM =
and=20
the Krusteaz mix can also be avoided.

The only problem is that after 24 hours the bread has degraded=20
considerably from what it was during the first few hours.

Consider this: If it could be made to degrade sufficiently =
exothermically
and instantaneously, it could offered to Al Qaeda to promote their=20
causes.

--
DickA

Old 27-03-2005, 05:16 PM
Jonathan Kandell

I also don't clean the coffee mug I use to renew my starter; but mine
is thoroughly dried along the edges before it's renewed. Is your's
dried or still moist?

Old 27-03-2005, 05:16 PM
Jonathan Kandell

Old 27-03-2005, 05:16 PM
Jonathan Kandell

Old 27-03-2005, 07:42 PM
Roy

Hmnn....something similar Dick.....but in the normal sponge and dough
breadmaking with bakers yeast s the leavening material.... the ratio is
between the sponge and the dough flour. While in acclerated natural
sourdough baking the baker is modifying the calculation; but it is
between the ratio of the starter weight and the weight of the dough
flour.
Roy

Old 27-03-2005, 08:06 PM
Dick Adams

"Roy" wrote in message =
oups.com...
Hmnn....something similar Dick.....but in the normal sponge and dough
breadmaking with bakers yeast s the leavening material.... the ratio =

is
between the sponge and the dough flour. While in acclerated natural
sourdough baking the baker is modifying the calculation; but it is
between the ratio of the starter weight and the weight of the dough
flour.

Oops, that's more complicated than I ever could have guessed. Looks=20
like it's back to bread at the store for me (since I have no formal =
education
as a baker).