Dave Bazell

Default sources for grain

Does anyone have suggestions for where to get a variety of grains online?
My local markets carry some grains but I can't find any rye meal to try
Ulrike's Schwartzbrot. I can get it from Bob's Organic grains (or whatever
its called) but five pounds of rye meal will cost me about $10 in shipping.
I can justify that sometimes, but would rather not pay so much in shipping.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dave

Mike Avery

Dave Bazell wrote:

>Does anyone have suggestions for where to get a variety of grains online?
>My local markets carry some grains but I can't find any rye meal to try
>Ulrike's Schwartzbrot. I can get it from Bob's Organic grains (or whatever
>its called) but five pounds of rye meal will cost me about $10 in shipping.
>I can justify that sometimes, but would rather not pay so much in shipping.

Why go on-line? Depending on where you are, check with any grocery
store or health food store that has a bulk area. They may have it
already. You may be able to get them to order you some in any case.
When you buy through a local store, you usually don't pay any shipping,
so you might get a 50lb sack for not much more than the 5 pounds plus
shipping you see.

You might also check your phone book for food wholesalers, and ask
around about food coops. Many wholesalers will sell to the public,
though they don't advertise the fact. And food coops are usually
helpful and inexpensive.

Mike