Default Really Sticky dough

I'm working with a 60 year old (at least) starter. I've been making
breads and rolls for years and just recently decided to try my hand at
sourdough.

While starting a firm sponge last night, I noticed the dough got more
sticky as the mixer worked it. Seemed as if there were lots of gluten
strands, but not enough flour. Is this normal?

I let it proof over night and then finished the kneading by hand and
adding more flour (as the recipe called for). I was able to get to the
"windowpane" stage, so I'm hoping things will turn out.

Any info (including "read the FAQ newbie") would be greatly appreciated.

Dick Adams

> wrote in message=20
ps.com...

> [ ... ]

> I was able to get to the "windowpane" stage,=20
> so I'm hoping things will turn out.

Well, to start, you're way ahead of me. I have never yet
seen a sourdough window pane. (I have read about them,
though, in books.)

--=20
Dick Adams
<firstname> dot <lastname> at bigfoot dot com
___________________
Sourdough FAQ guide at=20
http://www.nyx.net/~dgreenw/sourdoughfaqs.html

derrick.moreno*nospam*@gmail.com

looks ok...I haven't cut into them yet. I still need help with the
crust. Any ideas would be appreciated.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...bread002_b.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...bread001_a.jpg

Dick Adams

" > wrote in =
message oups.com...
> looks ok...I haven't cut into them yet. I still need help with the
> crust. Any ideas would be appreciated.
>=20
> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...bread002_b.jpg
> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...bread001_a.jpg

Dunno, Derrick -- how big are they? Might be good for throwing at
marauding dogs. Consider imbedding nails, broken glass, etc.

Did you succeed in cutting one open?

Hey, Derrick, these people do not want to see your loaves (buns?). They
are all wrapped up (mucked up) in their starters and yeast polemics.

--
DickA

P.S. Good photos!

I make stove top bread frequently. I make dough, flatten it (usually) to fit the bottom of my cast iron frypan, and cook it really slowly. Sometimes I let it rise, sometimes not. Depending on the dough volume, it ranges from a half inch thick to two Tim Recipes 0 22-12-2005 11:15 AM
Sticky batter hutchndi Sourdough 5 05-09-2005 08:49 PM
Sticky Dough? What causes? Stark Baking 15 31-05-2005 02:34 AM
Sticky Turkey? Mickey Zalusky General Cooking 0 08-11-2004 09:39 PM
Sticky Millet Gary K. Vegan 2 06-10-2003 04:58 PM