Gary K.

Default Sticky Millet

My millet always sticks together. Is that the way it is or is there a way
to cook it so the grains stay separated. It's especially bad when I take
it from the refrigerater.
If I use less water, it doesn't get all cooked. I use 2.5 cups of water
to 1 cup millet. Cookes for 35 minutes.

-Gary
Hannah Gruen

I usually use a 2:1 ratio of water to millet. Bring to a boil and when
boiling vigorously, put a tight-fitting lid on the pan and turn down to a
low simmer, simmer till cooked - about 40 minutes or so - then remove lid,
stir, and allow to cook slowly until dry and fluffy. If I want it to be
sticky, I add more water.

Proportions and cooking time/ methods will depend on several factors,
including how fast your stovetop brings the mixture to a boil, how tight
your pan lid is, and the specific properties of the grain you are using, so
you may need to experiment a bit.

Refrigeration will make almost all cooked grains sticky, so I wouldn't
expect it to remain fluffy after refrigeration. Millet is always best
freshly cooked, IMO, but I don't throw away the leftovers. Millet is one of
my favorite grains, and supposedly has exceptional nutritional properties.

Hannah

"Gary K." > wrote in message
> My millet always sticks together. Is that the way it is or is there a way
> to cook it so the grains stay separated. It's especially bad when I take
> it from the refrigerater.
> If I use less water, it doesn't get all cooked. I use 2.5 cups of water
> to 1 cup millet. Cookes for 35 minutes.
>
> -Gary

Sue milham

I use 2 parts water to 1 for grains including millet. If you get the water
boiling first then sprinkle in the grain so the water keeps boiling, it can
keep the stickiness out. Turn it down to simmer after all the grain is added,
20 minutes for millet. You're probably using too much water.

(Gary K.) wrote:
<< My millet always sticks together. Is that the way it is or is there a way
to cook it so the grains stay separated. It's especially bad when I take
it from the refrigerater.
If I use less water, it doesn't get all cooked. I use 2.5 cups of water
to 1 cup millet. Cookes for 35 minutes.

-Gary>><BR><BR>

Sue M.

ground millet....use? [email protected] General Cooking 7 08-05-2009 11:34 PM
Millet Julie Bove Diabetic 6 08-11-2008 06:27 AM
Millet? Blair P. Houghton General Cooking 6 07-01-2007 06:20 PM
millet andyv General Cooking 5 05-05-2006 01:38 PM
Millet (5) Collection Faith C Recipes (moderated) 0 30-06-2005 04:47 AM