hutchndi

Default Sticky batter

Sourdough starter. Very sticky. Has anyone ever tryed using it as a deep fry
batter? I have tried in the past to come up with something that sticks to
jalepenos to make "hot poppers" (jalepenos stuffed with mozzerela, battered
and deep fried) but my attempts (never with sourdough) were always rewarded
with the batter sliding off the peppers. I had pretty much given up,
thinking about trying again.

Just taking a shot here.

hutchndi

Brian Mailman

hutchndi wrote:

> Sourdough starter. Very sticky. Has anyone ever tryed using it as a
> deep fry batter?

Yes. For onion rings and chicken-fried steak.

> I have tried in the past to come up with something that sticks to
> jalepenos to make "hot poppers" (jalepenos stuffed with mozzerela,
> battered and deep fried) but my attempts (never with sourdough) were
> always rewarded with the batter sliding off the peppers. I had
> pretty much given up,

Try dusting the peppers with corn- or potato starch before dipping in
the batter. Possibly rice flour (mochiko), if that's handier.

B/
HaJo Schatz

hutchndi wrote:
> Sourdough starter. Very sticky. Has anyone ever tryed using it as a deep fry
> batter? I have tried in the past to come up with something that sticks to
> jalepenos to make "hot poppers" (jalepenos stuffed with mozzerela, battered
> and deep fried) but my attempts (never with sourdough) were always rewarded
> with the batter sliding off the peppers. I had pretty much given up,
> thinking about trying again.

A proper _Sour_ Dough used as batter will probably leave your jalapenos
behind in the dust and pull your mouth all the way up to behind where
your ears are attached to your head. If you ever stuck your finger into
SD starter and licked it off, you wouldn't want to try above recipe I
guess...

> Just taking a shot here.

Yepp, a serious one ;-)

PS: But then they make this refreshing drink out of SD in Russia. Maybe
that's more like a path to follow?
Dave Bell

HaJo Schatz wrote:
> hutchndi wrote:
>
>> Sourdough starter. Very sticky. Has anyone ever tryed using it as a
>> deep fry
>> batter? I have tried in the past to come up with something that sticks to
>> jalepenos to make "hot poppers" (jalepenos stuffed with mozzerela,
>> battered
>> and deep fried) but my attempts (never with sourdough) were always
>> rewarded
>> with the batter sliding off the peppers. I had pretty much given up,
>> thinking about trying again.

> A proper _Sour_ Dough used as batter will probably leave your jalapenos
> behind in the dust and pull your mouth all the way up to behind where
> your ears are attached to your head. If you ever stuck your finger into
> SD starter and licked it off, you wouldn't want to try above recipe I
> guess...
>
>> Just taking a shot here.

> Yepp, a serious one ;-)
>
> PS: But then they make this refreshing drink out of SD in Russia. Maybe
> that's more like a path to follow?

You don't mean Kvas, do you?

Dave
Kenneth

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 00:32:30 +0800, HaJo Schatz
> wrote:

>If you ever stuck your finger into
>SD starter and licked it off, you wouldn't want to try above recipe I
>guess...

Howdy,

It might not be that simple...

Just yesterday I had a scheduling difficulty that left me
with about 300g of very ripe 100% hydration white starter.
It was very sour to the taste.

But, rather than tossing it out, I decided on a quick
experiment:

I took 100g of it, and added 2g of salt and mixed it
thoroughly.

I heated a skillet and put in a dash of olive oil.

I poured the starter in and baked it until brown on one
side. Then I flipped it over and repeated the bake.

It made an interesting, and rather tasty, bread, but the
resulting bread was not nearly as sour as the starter from
which it was made.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

td

Try roasting the peppers to black skin and then peal the skin off. Then
dust with a real light dusting of flour. THEN try the batter.

In article <AmqSe.21964$hp.21052@lakeread08>, hutchndi

Sticky Finger's piedmont Barbecue 0 10-01-2010 05:10 PM
Non sticky chocolate? peter Chocolate 1 02-04-2008 09:36 PM
Batter vs. Dough At what point does a batter become a dough or does a dough become a batter? Richard Hollenbeck Baking 3 15-12-2006 01:31 AM
Sticky Fingers MonopTN Barbecue 8 08-04-2006 06:26 AM
Sticky Rice luckytrim Recipes (moderated) 0 17-12-2003 04:34 PM