Recipes (moderated) (rec.food.recipes) A moderated forum. The purpose of rec.food.recipes is for posting recipes and recipe requests only. It is for the *sharing* of recipes among the readers.

Posted to rec.food.recipes

Default Ube Ice Cream

Ube Ice Cream

submitted by butterflydog

2 cups heavy cream
1 cup milk or half and half
1 cup sugar
1 cup cooked ,cold mashed ubes ( purple yams )
- OR -
1, 8oz pkg dried ube powder ( dried ube with cane sugar )
1/2 cup finely shredded fresh coconut or coconut powder (optional but
nice )
1 to 2 tsp clear vanilla or to taste.

I made this with my packaged ube powder from a recipe I adapted from the
Internet. This ice cream froze up very hard and when I let it soften at
room temperature for a short while, it scooped out perfectly and was
delicious. I served it along with coconut almond macaroons which I thought
was a perfect match of color, flavor and textures. Combine cream, milk
and sugar and gently stir and heat in a saucepan only to dissolve sugar.
Cool and stir in ube squash or ube powder ,coconut and vanilla. Whisk
well to combine and chill mixture. Process chilled mixture in ice cream
make to manufacturer's instructions.

Note: coconut powder may be found in Indian grocery stores. If using fresh
coconut, it must be blenderized into a powder otherwise the ice cream
won't freeze properly and the texture will not be smooth.

Note 2: the color of the ice cream may be purple to shades of lavender
depending whether one uses the fresh ube squash or the ube powder. Ube's
may be found at oriental, or Pilipino grocery stores and the powder may be
ordered over the Net by doing a Google search for it.

Yield: 6 to 8 servings

http://www.simpleinternet.com/recipes/
International Recipes OnLine
On-Line Culinary Discussion at Food.Chat:
http://www.simpleinternet.com/foodchat/

--
Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia D. Hill at .
http://www.cdkitchen.com/rfr/ http://recipes.alastra.com/