Dianna Visek

Default banana jam

How come the books don't tend to have any banana recipes? Is it
necessary to add lemon for acidity?

Thanks, Dianna
To reply, please remove "fluff" from my address.
Joyce

>>How come the books don't tend to have any banana recipes? Is it
necessary to add lemon for acidity?

Thanks, Dianna

Hi Dianna,

I, being a lover of banana's, wondered why one never heard of anyone making
banana jam and last year set out to find a recipe to make the jam. I found
and followed a recipe from MasterCook.
http://www.recipesource.com/side-dis...0/rec0082.html

I personally loved the jam but not in the traditional way. It just didn't
make it on any of the toasted breads. However, it was wonderful with peanut
butter in a sandwich and even better on top of vanilla ice cream.

I hope I helped a bit as I have been helped so very often by all the nice
people here in this newsgroup.

Joyce

A.T.Hagan

I believe that bananas by themselves do not have enough necessary
acidity, but it's easily added. I wanted to make some banana jam this
year and could not find a recipe that really suited me so I reviewed a
dozen or so other recipes then created my own.

Banana Tropic Jam

4 cups mashed or pureed ripe bananas*
1.5 cups fresh squeezed orange juice (I used Valencias)
0.5 cups fresh squeezed lime juice (Key or Mexican limes are best if
you can get them)
3 cups sugar
1 box no-sugar pectin (I used Sure-Jell, but other will probably work
just fine too.)

Combine bananas, juices, and pectin then bring to a boil. Stir in
sugar and boil hard (can't be stirred down) for one minute then remove
from heat. Skim foam, pack in jars, seal on lids. Process fifteen
minutes in boiling water bath. Jam may be soft for a few days before
it begins to firm up.

*Ripe bananas by my definition are all yellow with a sprinkling of
brown freckles with no green remaining. Cut out any dark or bruised
spots so as not to discolor finished product. Mix with citrus juices
right away to prevent browning.

ADDITIONAL NOTES: Having eaten two jars now I think this batch came
out sweeter that I really wanted so the next time I make it I'll cut
the sugar to one and a half cups. I'll probably more finely puree the
bananas next time as well as the chunky bits floated a little.
Finished color resembled canned crushed pineapple. Great on a PBJ,
like having a peanut butter and banana sandwich with a glass of orange
juice.

......Alan.

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 20:56:38 -0500, Dianna Visek
> wrote:

>How come the books don't tend to have any banana recipes? Is it
>necessary to add lemon for acidity?
>
>Thanks, Dianna
>To reply, please remove "fluff" from my address.

---
The Universe is utterly indifferent to the fact that
you do not realize the consequences of your actions.
You will have to deal with them just the same.

The Prudent Food Storage FAQ, V4.0
http://athagan.members.atlantic.net/Index.html
HelixStalwart

>Banana Tropic Jam
>
>4 cups mashed or pureed ripe bananas*
>1.5 cups fresh squeezed orange juice (I used Valencias)
>0.5 cups fresh squeezed lime juice (Key or Mexican limes are best if
>you can get them)
>3 cups sugar
>1 box no-sugar pectin (I used Sure-Jell, but other will probably work
>just fine too.)

What was the yield on this recipe please? Oh, and over here in the UK
we tend to only be able to get Certo liquid pectin - how does this
compare to the powdered in amount used?

William R. Watt

> What was the yield on this recipe please? Oh, and over here in the UK
> we tend to only be able to get Certo liquid pectin - how does this
> compare to the powdered in amount used?

bananas are high in pectin.
you might not have to add any at all.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

ellen wickberg

HelixStalwart wrote:
>>Banana Tropic Jam
>>
>>4 cups mashed or pureed ripe bananas*
>>1.5 cups fresh squeezed orange juice (I used Valencias)
>>0.5 cups fresh squeezed lime juice (Key or Mexican limes are best if
>>you can get them)
>>3 cups sugar
>>1 box no-sugar pectin (I used Sure-Jell, but other will probably work
>>just fine too.)

> What was the yield on this recipe please? Oh, and over here in the UK
> we tend to only be able to get Certo liquid pectin - how does this
> compare to the powdered in amount used?

I guess this is sticking my nose into the discussion, but if you
substitute certo liquid for "no sugar" pectin you will have to use a lot
more sugar ( usually 7 cups vs 3 cups or less) for the same recipe if it
is like the Bernardin "no sugar needed pectin" which uses 0 to 3 cups
maximum sugar per box. Good luck and let us know how it works out. The
year we lived in Hong Kong, banana jam ( without the citrus juices) was
available in the stores, but was very sweet.
Ellen

Atlantic.net is not posting my stuff these last several days though I
seem to be getting eveyrone else's posts so I'm doing this one via
Google.

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 20:11:38 GMT, HelixStalwart
> wrote:

>>Banana Tropic Jam
>>
>>4 cups mashed or pureed ripe bananas*
>>1.5 cups fresh squeezed orange juice (I used Valencias)
>>0.5 cups fresh squeezed lime juice (Key or Mexican limes are best if
>>you can get them)
>>3 cups sugar
>>1 box no-sugar pectin (I used Sure-Jell, but other will probably work
>>just fine too.)

>What was the yield on this recipe please? Oh, and over here in the UK
>we tend to only be able to get Certo liquid pectin - how does this
>compare to the powdered in amount used?

The yield was a bit more than four pints because I wasn't able to skim
it as well as I would have had I pureed the bananas more. Four pints
how ever you want to divide that up should be the normal yield. We go
through jam too fast for me to fool with half-pints which was the
reason why I wanted to try making lower sugar jams.

I can't say about the Certo liquid as I've never used liquid pectin. I
used no-sugar pectin so if you use ordinary pectin you're going to
need to use six cups of sugar which to my taste would be intolerably
sweet. Our resident Jam Queen may be able to tell us how to convert
between powdered and liquid pectins. Or you could do what I did and
simply wing it and see how it comes out. Do you all have the no-sugar
pectins over there?

A 1:1 orange:lime juice ratio may be even better. Or perhaps a
spoonful of a citrus or banana flavored liquer.

......Alan.

Dwayne

I made two batches following your recipe. I had problems witht he first
batch being scorched on the bottom of the pan. I had gotten in a hurry and
left out 2 cups of bananas. I didnt realize it until it was in the jars and
I was cooking the second batch. Here is what I did.

On the second batch, I added 3 Tbsp of peanut butter while running the
bananas through the processor. I put in 1 1/2 tsp of oleo to keep it from
sticking to the pan and burning. I used one cup of sugar and 1/2 cup
Splenda. I also turned the heat down from super high to 3/4 high and let it
take longer to come to a baby boil. Then I put it in jars and I dumped the
first batch back into the pan and turned the heat onto the same temp.

I added oleo and 1 tsp of cinnimon to cover the scorched taste (which it
didnt seem to have), and brought it to a baby boil. Then I put it into jars
and HWB both batches for 30 minutes.

They both taste pretty good, in fact better than I expected after going
through all that. The worst part is getting people to try it. Once they
do, they like it.

Dwayne

"A.T.Hagan" > wrote in message
>I believe that bananas by themselves do not have enough necessary
> acidity, but it's easily added. I wanted to make some banana jam this
> year and could not find a recipe that really suited me so I reviewed a
> dozen or so other recipes then created my own.
>
> Banana Tropic Jam
>
> 4 cups mashed or pureed ripe bananas*
> 1.5 cups fresh squeezed orange juice (I used Valencias)
> 0.5 cups fresh squeezed lime juice (Key or Mexican limes are best if
> you can get them)
> 3 cups sugar
> 1 box no-sugar pectin (I used Sure-Jell, but other will probably work
> just fine too.)
>
> Combine bananas, juices, and pectin then bring to a boil. Stir in
> sugar and boil hard (can't be stirred down) for one minute then remove
> from heat. Skim foam, pack in jars, seal on lids. Process fifteen
> minutes in boiling water bath. Jam may be soft for a few days before
> it begins to firm up.
>
> *Ripe bananas by my definition are all yellow with a sprinkling of
> brown freckles with no green remaining. Cut out any dark or bruised
> spots so as not to discolor finished product. Mix with citrus juices
> right away to prevent browning.
>
> ADDITIONAL NOTES: Having eaten two jars now I think this batch came
> out sweeter that I really wanted so the next time I make it I'll cut
> the sugar to one and a half cups. I'll probably more finely puree the
> bananas next time as well as the chunky bits floated a little.
> Finished color resembled canned crushed pineapple. Great on a PBJ,
> like having a peanut butter and banana sandwich with a glass of orange
> juice.
>
> .....Alan.
>

> On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 20:56:38 -0500, Dianna Visek
> > wrote:
>
>>How come the books don't tend to have any banana recipes? Is it
>>necessary to add lemon for acidity?
>>
>>Thanks, Dianna
>>______________________________________________ _
>>To reply, please remove "fluff" from my address.

> ---
> The Universe is utterly indifferent to the fact that
> you do not realize the consequences of your actions.
> You will have to deal with them just the same.
>
> The Prudent Food Storage FAQ, V4.0
> http://athagan.members.atlantic.net/Index.html

REC Banana Bread Bob Terwilliger[_1_] General Cooking 0 24-04-2010 03:35 AM
REC Banana Bread koko General Cooking 0 23-04-2010 11:13 PM
Have A Banana! JoeSpareBedroom General Cooking 2 15-03-2007 05:11 PM
Banana Poi International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 08-03-2006 05:55 AM
Banana Jam Joyce Preserving 13 14-08-2004 01:57 AM