Joyce

Default Banana Jam

Hello,

I would like to make banana jam for the first time. To be perfectly honest,
I have never had banana jam but am a big fan of banana's so I thought I'd
give it a try.

I have searched for and found a very interesting recipe which includes
orange juice, lemon and orange peel, cinnamon and cloves. Sounds yummie!

My question to you fine folks is have you ever made banana jam and what does
the color look like?

Thanks and I hope you are all enjoying as nice a weather day as we here in
Ct. are.

Joyce

Brian Mailman

Joyce wrote:

> My question to you fine folks is have you ever made banana jam and what does
> the color look like?

It's not going to be yellow, if that's what you're asking, especially
with the spices you're adding. Don't be surprised that it comes out the
color of banana bread.

As far as the bananss themselves go, unless you're adding banana extract
it's also going to be somewhat difficult to get a strong banana flavor.
Use ripe bananas, really really ripe. So ripe they'll squish out of
the peels.

A banana-rum conserve with walnuts is on the list, I have the bananas
delicately aging as I type.

B/
Brian Mailman

Joyce wrote:

> My question to you fine folks is have you ever made banana jam and what does
> the color look like?

It's not going to be yellow, if that's what you're asking, especially
with the spices you're adding. Don't be surprised that it comes out the
color of banana bread.

As far as the bananss themselves go, unless you're adding banana extract
it's also going to be somewhat difficult to get a strong banana flavor.
Use ripe bananas, really really ripe. So ripe they'll squish out of
the peels.

A banana-rum conserve with walnuts is on the list, I have the bananas
delicately aging as I type.

B/
rebecca

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 18:43:38 -0700, Brian Mailman
> wrote:

>Joyce wrote:
>
>> My question to you fine folks is have you ever made banana jam and what does
>> the color look like?

>As far as the bananss themselves go, unless you're adding banana extract
>it's also going to be somewhat difficult to get a strong banana flavor.
> Use ripe bananas, really really ripe. So ripe they'll squish out of
>the peels.

My banana jam (just bananas, lemon, and sugar) comes out very
banana-y. I use kind of firm bananas, too, so there'll still be
banana bits instead of uniform mush.

--Rebecca
rebecca

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 18:43:38 -0700, Brian Mailman
> wrote:

>Joyce wrote:
>
>> My question to you fine folks is have you ever made banana jam and what does
>> the color look like?

>As far as the bananss themselves go, unless you're adding banana extract
>it's also going to be somewhat difficult to get a strong banana flavor.
> Use ripe bananas, really really ripe. So ripe they'll squish out of
>the peels.

My banana jam (just bananas, lemon, and sugar) comes out very
banana-y. I use kind of firm bananas, too, so there'll still be
banana bits instead of uniform mush.

--Rebecca

Joyce

Thank you both. You have been very informative.

"Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
> Joyce wrote:
>
> > My question to you fine folks is have you ever made banana jam and what

does
> > the color look like?

> It's not going to be yellow, if that's what you're asking, especially
> with the spices you're adding. Don't be surprised that it comes out the
> color of banana bread.
>
> As far as the bananss themselves go, unless you're adding banana extract
> it's also going to be somewhat difficult to get a strong banana flavor.
> Use ripe bananas, really really ripe. So ripe they'll squish out of
> the peels.
>
> A banana-rum conserve with walnuts is on the list, I have the bananas
> delicately aging as I type.
>
> B/

dizzi

Could you share the recipe for the conserve? And also the banana jam with
the spices?

Thanks,
dizzi

"Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
> Joyce wrote:
>
> > My question to you fine folks is have you ever made banana jam and what

does
> > the color look like?

> It's not going to be yellow, if that's what you're asking, especially
> with the spices you're adding. Don't be surprised that it comes out the
> color of banana bread.
>
> As far as the bananss themselves go, unless you're adding banana extract
> it's also going to be somewhat difficult to get a strong banana flavor.
> Use ripe bananas, really really ripe. So ripe they'll squish out of
> the peels.
>
> A banana-rum conserve with walnuts is on the list, I have the bananas
> delicately aging as I type.
>
> B/

dizzi

Could you share the recipe for the conserve? And also the banana jam with
the spices?

Thanks,
dizzi

"Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
> Joyce wrote:
>
> > My question to you fine folks is have you ever made banana jam and what

does
> > the color look like?

> It's not going to be yellow, if that's what you're asking, especially
> with the spices you're adding. Don't be surprised that it comes out the
> color of banana bread.
>
> As far as the bananss themselves go, unless you're adding banana extract
> it's also going to be somewhat difficult to get a strong banana flavor.
> Use ripe bananas, really really ripe. So ripe they'll squish out of
> the peels.
>
> A banana-rum conserve with walnuts is on the list, I have the bananas
> delicately aging as I type.
>
> B/

Brian Mailman

dizzi wrote:

> Could you share the recipe for the conserve?

I don't use the butter or the fruit fresh...

4 cups thoroughly mashed bananas
5 cups granulated sugar
2/3 cup bottled lemon juice
1 teaspoon Fruit Fresh (absorbic acid)
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 package liquid pectin -- (3 ounce)
3 tablespoons pure cocoa powder
2 tablespoons light rum or rum extract
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts

In a medium stockpot, combine the mashed bananas, lemon juice and Fruit
Fresh. Gradually add in the sugar, cocoa powder and butter. Over medium
heat, heat the mixture stirring constantly, until the sugar is dissolved.

Increase the heat to medium-high and bring the mixture to a full rolling
boil, stirring constantly so it will not scorch. Stir in the liquid
pectin and return to a full rolling boil for 1 more minute, stirring
constantly.

Skim off any foam. Remove the stockpot from the heat, stir in the
walnuts and the rum. Ladle into sterilized jars leaving 1/4 inch head
space. Wipe rims. Cap and seal. Process in a water bath canner for 10
minutes for half-pints or 15 minutes for pints. Yields 9 to 10 half-pints.

Brian Mailman

dizzi wrote:

> Could you share the recipe for the conserve?

I don't use the butter or the fruit fresh...

4 cups thoroughly mashed bananas
5 cups granulated sugar
2/3 cup bottled lemon juice
1 teaspoon Fruit Fresh (absorbic acid)
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 package liquid pectin -- (3 ounce)
3 tablespoons pure cocoa powder
2 tablespoons light rum or rum extract
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts

In a medium stockpot, combine the mashed bananas, lemon juice and Fruit
Fresh. Gradually add in the sugar, cocoa powder and butter. Over medium
heat, heat the mixture stirring constantly, until the sugar is dissolved.

Increase the heat to medium-high and bring the mixture to a full rolling
boil, stirring constantly so it will not scorch. Stir in the liquid
pectin and return to a full rolling boil for 1 more minute, stirring
constantly.

Skim off any foam. Remove the stockpot from the heat, stir in the
walnuts and the rum. Ladle into sterilized jars leaving 1/4 inch head
space. Wipe rims. Cap and seal. Process in a water bath canner for 10
minutes for half-pints or 15 minutes for pints. Yields 9 to 10 half-pints.

dizzi

"Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
> dizzi wrote:
>
> > Could you share the recipe for the conserve?

> I don't use the butter or the fruit fresh...

> 4 cups thoroughly mashed bananas
> 5 cups granulated sugar
> 2/3 cup bottled lemon juice
> 1 teaspoon Fruit Fresh (absorbic acid)
> 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
> 1 package liquid pectin -- (3 ounce)
> 3 tablespoons pure cocoa powder
> 2 tablespoons light rum or rum extract
> 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
>
> In a medium stockpot, combine the mashed bananas, lemon juice and Fruit
> Fresh. Gradually add in the sugar, cocoa powder and butter. Over medium
> heat, heat the mixture stirring constantly, until the sugar is dissolved.
>
> Increase the heat to medium-high and bring the mixture to a full rolling
> boil, stirring constantly so it will not scorch. Stir in the liquid
> pectin and return to a full rolling boil for 1 more minute, stirring
> constantly.
>
> Skim off any foam. Remove the stockpot from the heat, stir in the
> walnuts and the rum. Ladle into sterilized jars leaving 1/4 inch head
> space. Wipe rims. Cap and seal. Process in a water bath canner for 10
> minutes for half-pints or 15 minutes for pints. Yields 9 to 10 half-pints.

mmmmmmmmm........yum!

Thanks, dizzi

dizzi

"Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
> dizzi wrote:
>
> > Could you share the recipe for the conserve?

> I don't use the butter or the fruit fresh...

> 4 cups thoroughly mashed bananas
> 5 cups granulated sugar
> 2/3 cup bottled lemon juice
> 1 teaspoon Fruit Fresh (absorbic acid)
> 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
> 1 package liquid pectin -- (3 ounce)
> 3 tablespoons pure cocoa powder
> 2 tablespoons light rum or rum extract
> 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
>
> In a medium stockpot, combine the mashed bananas, lemon juice and Fruit
> Fresh. Gradually add in the sugar, cocoa powder and butter. Over medium
> heat, heat the mixture stirring constantly, until the sugar is dissolved.
>
> Increase the heat to medium-high and bring the mixture to a full rolling
> boil, stirring constantly so it will not scorch. Stir in the liquid
> pectin and return to a full rolling boil for 1 more minute, stirring
> constantly.
>
> Skim off any foam. Remove the stockpot from the heat, stir in the
> walnuts and the rum. Ladle into sterilized jars leaving 1/4 inch head
> space. Wipe rims. Cap and seal. Process in a water bath canner for 10
> minutes for half-pints or 15 minutes for pints. Yields 9 to 10 half-pints.

mmmmmmmmm........yum!

Thanks, dizzi

Joyce

Sure Dizzi here is the recipe. I have never made this jam before, I just
found it at www.cyber-kitchen.com and it sounded real good. If I were
more informed on jam making, I would like to add a box of pectin and process
it as I do all my other jams. I guess I would have to cut down on some of
the orange juice. Maybe someone out there could help me with it?

12 cups sliced bananas (about 20 medium)
6 cups of sugar
1 1/2 cups orange juice
3 strips orange peel
6 strips lemon peel
2 sticks cinnamon
6 whole cloves

In a large kettle, combine sliced bananas with sugar, orange juice, orange
and lemon peels, cinnamon and cloves. Stir over medium heat until sugar
dissolves. Boil rapidly 10 minutes. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring
constantly, until thickened, about 15-20 minutes. When jam is thick, remove
from heat and ladle immediately into sterilized canning jars. Fill to
within 1/8-inch of the top. Screw caps on evenly and tightly. Invert for
few seconds, then stand jars upright to cool.

If jam is to be stored for long period, place jars on a rack in large kettle
and cover with boiling water. Boil 10 to 15 minutes to sterilize. Remove
from water and cool.

Makes about 5 pints.

Joyce

[...]

REC Banana Bread Bob Terwilliger[_1_] General Cooking 0 24-04-2010 03:35 AM
REC Banana Bread koko General Cooking 0 23-04-2010 11:13 PM
Have A Banana! JoeSpareBedroom General Cooking 2 15-03-2007 04:11 PM
Banana Poi International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 08-03-2006 04:55 AM
banana jam Dianna Visek Preserving 8 11-10-2005 01:38 AM