William R. Watt

Default removing bud ends from fruit?

Looking for easy ways to remove bud ends from fruit.
That's the dried blossom that's left on the opposite end fo the fruit from
the stem.

Yesterday I spent hours pinching them off a bucket of haws before boiling
the haws up for the jelly bag.
I tried dumping the haws into a small barrel with some water in it and
rolling it around for a while to rub them off without success. The haws
came out nice and clean otherwise, but with bud ends still on.
I suspect this is why haws aren't used for anything. They're relatives of
apples and roses, full of pectin, and make nice wine and also preserves once a
bit of acid is added, but much work to prepare.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Bob (this one)

William R. Watt wrote:
> Looking for easy ways to remove bud ends from fruit.
> That's the dried blossom that's left on the opposite end fo the fruit from
> the stem.
>
> Yesterday I spent hours pinching them off a bucket of haws before boiling
> the haws up for the jelly bag.
> I tried dumping the haws into a small barrel with some water in it and
> rolling it around for a while to rub them off without success. The haws
> came out nice and clean otherwise, but with bud ends still on.
> I suspect this is why haws aren't used for anything. They're relatives of
> apples and roses, full of pectin, and make nice wine and also preserves once a
> bit of acid is added, but much work to prepare.

Why bother if you're just making jelly and not using fruit solids?

Pastorio
cooksalot

Bob's right. Your going to just strain this in a jelly bag so why bother.
When I make crab apple jelly I just chop them babies in half and toss in the
pot.

Vicky

"Bob (this one)" > wrote in message
> William R. Watt wrote:
>> Looking for easy ways to remove bud ends from fruit.
>> That's the dried blossom that's left on the opposite end fo the fruit
>> from
>> the stem.
>>
>> Yesterday I spent hours pinching them off a bucket of haws before boiling
>> the haws up for the jelly bag.
>> I tried dumping the haws into a small barrel with some water in it and
>> rolling it around for a while to rub them off without success. The haws
>> came out nice and clean otherwise, but with bud ends still on.
>> I suspect this is why haws aren't used for anything. They're relatives of
>> apples and roses, full of pectin, and make nice wine and also preserves
>> once a
>> bit of acid is added, but much work to prepare.

> Why bother if you're just making jelly and not using fruit solids?
>
> Pastorio

Oh God...(sigh)-It Never Ends Memorella General Cooking 0 29-01-2009 03:28 AM
BBQ Burnt Ends w/ photos gs Recipes 4 10-01-2008 05:11 AM
BBQ Burnt Ends gs General Cooking 39 04-01-2008 03:07 AM
6 TN's: Roundup of Odds and Ends Dan the Man Wine 7 20-08-2007 02:52 PM
Burnt ends Reg Barbecue 6 27-02-2004 05:17 AM