Reg

Default Burnt ends

I'm doing a load of them today. When my packer cuts are done,
I cut off the points and throw them back in the cooker another
few hours. Then I chop em up and toss in a little sauce.

Does anybody else do burnt ends? How do you cook them?

Saunka [BOA]

"Reg" > wrote in message
. com...
> I'm doing a load of them today. When my packer cuts are done,
> I cut off the points and throw them back in the cooker another
> few hours. Then I chop em up and toss in a little sauce.
>
> Does anybody else do burnt ends? How do you cook them?
>
> --
> Reg email: RegForte (at) (that free MS email service)

(dot) com

I've been wanting to know about this for awhile too. I've made
brisket only a couple of times, using a packer cut both times. I
think I cooked the flat too long while waiting for the point to
come up to temp.

frohe

Saunka [BOA] wrote:
> I've been wanting to know about this for awhile too. I've made
> brisket only a couple of times, using a packer cut both times. I
> think I cooked the flat too long while waiting for the point to
> come up to temp.

The point ain't nuthin to worry over. When the flat's at 188°F or fork
tender, it's time to take the whole thing off.
--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

frohe

Reg wrote:
> I'm doing a load of them today. When my packer cuts are done,
> I cut off the points and throw them back in the cooker another
> few hours. Then I chop em up and toss in a little sauce.
> Does anybody else do burnt ends? How do you cook them?

I don't keep cookin my burnt ends; I just chop em up for sammiches like they
is.
--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

Monroe, of course...

In article >, "Saunka
[BOA]" > wrote:

> "Reg" > wrote in message
> . com...
> > I'm doing a load of them today. When my packer cuts are done,
> > I cut off the points and throw them back in the cooker another
> > few hours. Then I chop em up and toss in a little sauce.
> >
> > Does anybody else do burnt ends? How do you cook them?
> >
> > --
> > Reg email: RegForte (at) (that free MS email service)

> (dot) com
> >

> I've been wanting to know about this for awhile too. I've made
> brisket only a couple of times, using a packer cut both times. I
> think I cooked the flat too long while waiting for the point to
> come up to temp.

It's an odd thing. The point is usually done before the flat because of
the fat in it. The selfsame fat allows the point to be cooked longer
than the flat, where it is rendered away with the additional
cooking-leraving those yummy burnt ends.
I see a lot of trimmed flats but what happens to the points?They're
never sold separately. I could really enjoy q'in up about 3-4 nice
size points without the flats.....

Reg

Monroe, of course... wrote:

> I see a lot of trimmed flats but what happens to the points?They're
> never sold separately. I could really enjoy q'in up about 3-4 nice
> size points without the flats.....

Actually that's sort of my situation. I had all these uncooked
points in the freezer. Whenever I make pastrami I only use the flat
so I was looking for new things to do with all the points.

Louis Cohen

A few times, not always, the thinnest parts of the flat have come out too
dry. They get chopped up for burnt ends - great in beans or pasta sauce, or
just served with a lot of sauce.

----
Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

"Reg" > wrote in message
. com...
> I'm doing a load of them today. When my packer cuts are done,
> I cut off the points and throw them back in the cooker another
> few hours. Then I chop em up and toss in a little sauce.
>
> Does anybody else do burnt ends? How do you cook them?
>
> --
> Reg email: RegForte (at) (that free MS email service) (dot) com

Oh God...(sigh)-It Never Ends Memorella General Cooking 0 29-01-2009 04:28 AM
BBQ Burnt Ends w/ photos gs Recipes 4 10-01-2008 06:11 AM
BBQ Burnt Ends gs General Cooking 39 04-01-2008 04:07 AM
Burnt Ends w/ photos gs Barbecue 9 03-01-2008 05:32 AM
removing bud ends from fruit? William R. Watt Preserving 2 07-09-2005 05:42 AM