Posted to rec.food.cooking
gs gs is offline

Default BBQ Burnt Ends

Photos and captions up from this weekend's burnt end extravaganza at
http://bossytyle.blogspot.com/ .

Let me know if any of you try this and what you think.

-gs
Posted to rec.food.cooking

gs wrote:
> Photos and captions up from this weekend's burnt end extravaganza at
> http://bossytyle.blogspot.com/ .
>
> Let me know if any of you try this and what you think.

Too much use of foil, and the whole thing looked far too dry for my taste.
Of course this was about spam, not brisket, so you really don't care what
the feedback is.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gs gs is offline

On Dec 31 2007, 4:04 pm, jay > wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 07:19:10 -0800 (PST), gs wrote:
> > Photos and captions up from this weekend's burnt end extravaganza at
> >http://bossytyle.blogspot.com/.

> > Let me know if any of you try this and what you think.

> > -gs

> I think you sliced it way to thick.
>
> jay

Man it was good and still is. Just heat it up and add some sauce.

Dave, I like your site, looks like you have been around for a while.
It is good to have someone with as much knowledge as you for when I
have complicated questions.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

gs wrote:
> On Dec 31 2007, 4:04 pm, jay > wrote:
>> On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 07:19:10 -0800 (PST), gs wrote:
>>> Photos and captions up from this weekend's burnt end extravaganza at
>>> http://bossytyle.blogspot.com/.

>>> Let me know if any of you try this and what you think.

>>> -gs

>> I think you sliced it way to thick.
>>
>> jay

> Man it was good and still is. Just heat it up and add some sauce.
>
> Dave, I like your site, looks like you have been around for a while.
> It is good to have someone with as much knowledge as you for when I
> have complicated questions.

Back at ya :-)

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

gs wrote:

>athttp://bossytyle.blogspot.com/.
>
> Let me know if any of you try this and what you think.

Nothing to think... I know... prepped and cooked in all that aluminum
it will taste like crap. Don't you own proper cookware... cheap
*******.

SHELDON

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gs gs is offline

On Jan 1, 2:16 pm, Sheldon > wrote:
> gs wrote:
>
> >athttp://bossytyle.blogspot.com/.

> > Let me know if any of you try this and what you think.

> Nothing to think... I know... prepped and cooked in all that aluminum
> it will taste like crap. Don't you own proper cookware... cheap
> *******.
>
> SHELDON

Shedlon, So you think that removing the element of aluminum will make
it better. Please explain how. Also, please advise what your opinion
of proper cookware is?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 1, 3:52�pm, gs > wrote:
> On Jan 1, 2:16 pm, Sheldon > wrote:
>
> > gs wrote:

> > >athttp://bossytyle.blogspot.com/.

> > > Let me know if any of you try this and what you think.

> > Nothing to think... I know... prepped and cooked in all that aluminum
> > it will taste like crap. �Don't you own proper cookware... cheap
> > *******.

> > SHELDON

>> please advise what your opinion of proper cookware is?

Non reactive.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gs gs is offline

On Jan 1, 3:31 pm, Sheldon > wrote:
> On Jan 1, 3:52�pm, gs > wrote:

> > > Nothing to think... I know... prepped and cooked in all that aluminum
> > > it will taste like crap. �Don't you own proper cookware... cheap
> > > *******.

> > > SHELDON

> >> please advise what your opinion of proper cookware is?

> Non reactive.

Example.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

gs wrote:
> On Jan 1, 3:31 pm, Sheldon > wrote:

>> Non reactive.

> Example.

Anodized aluminum, stainless steel, cast iron would be the primary metals.
Of course, if someone has a problem with iron toxicity, acid based
preparations, like tomato sauces, will leach minute trace amounts of iron
into what's being cooked.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 1, 4:45 pm, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
> gs wrote:

> >> Non reactive.

> > Example.

> Anodized aluminum, stainless steel, cast iron would be the primary metals.
> Of course, if someone has a problem with iron toxicity, acid based
> preparations, like tomato sauces, will leach minute trace amounts of iron
> into what's being cooked.

Or iron taste. I'd never put anything acid into an iron pan.
> --
> Davewww.davebbq.com

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gs gs is offline

On Jan 1, 5:04 pm, "Bobo Bonobo®" > wrote:
> On Jan 1, 4:45 pm, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
>

> > gs wrote:

> > > Example.

> > Anodized aluminum, stainless steel, cast iron would be the primary metals.
> > Of course, if someone has a problem with iron toxicity, acid based
> > preparations, like tomato sauces, will leach minute trace amounts of iron
> > into what's being cooked.

> Or iron taste. I'd never put anything acid into an iron pan.
>
> > --
> > Davewww.davebbq.com

> --Bryan

Looks like we have a difference in opinion here. My point has been
proven.

Thanks for your input.

For your bookmarks my blog is http://bossytyle.blogspot.com/ . I hope
you all enjoy what I do.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gs gs is offline

On Jan 1, 5:28 pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 13:31:19 -0800 (PST), Sheldon wrote:

> > Non reactive.

> Yeah - those briskets really react with the aluminum <snicker>.
> The real problem is that it was cooked in a vessel of any sort.
> It should have been right on the grates.
>
> -sw

165 was the initial temp before cutting into cubes and placing back in
the pan with sauce. The pan was a special one passed down from
generations which has been used exclusively for burnt ends.

Seems like the big hang up is the pan. I have done them both, with
and without the pan. Next time I will do one directly on the grates
and take 350+ pictures to compare the notes. I will let you know when
I get this posted.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gs" > wrote in message

>165 was the initial temp before cutting into cubes and placing back in
>the pan with sauce. The pan was a special one passed down from
>generations which has been used exclusively for burnt ends.

>Seems like the big hang up is the pan. I have done them both, with
>and without the pan. Next time I will do one directly on the grates
>and take 350+ pictures to compare the notes. I will let you know when
>I get this posted.

I don't know how you think you have burnt ends when you boiled it in a pan.

Burnt ends are the crusty part you get when the meat sits on the grate.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gs gs is offline

On Jan 1, 6:14 pm, "Ms P" > wrote:
> "gs" > wrote in message

> >165 was the initial temp before cutting into cubes and placing back in
> >the pan with sauce. The pan was a special one passed down from
> >generations which has been used exclusively for burnt ends.
> >Seems like the big hang up is the pan. I have done them both, with
> >and without the pan. Next time I will do one directly on the grates
> >and take 350+ pictures to compare the notes. I will let you know when
> >I get this posted.

> I don't know how you think you have burnt ends when you boiled it in a pan.
>
> Burnt ends are the crusty part you get when the meat sits on the grate.
>
> Ms P

Oh they were crispy and moist. That is difficult for most to
achieve. Since I am a seasoned and skilled BBQ'r I can do that
consistently. You should give it a try. It would make you a better
cook.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
> > gs wrote:

> > Non reactive.

> Yeah - those briskets really react with the aluminum <snicker>.

Kitchen asshole.

> The real problem is that it was cooked in a vessel of any sort.
> It should have been right on the grates.

The brisket may not but the rub will react, moreso if it contains
salt, which I suspect all rubs do... it's just plain stupid to
marinate seasoned meat in aluminum and even dumber to then cook it in
aluminum... especially precarious (dangerous even) to use a single
disposable pan for a ten pound hunk of meat. And plain meat will
indeed react with aluminum. I don't recommend storing plain meat (or
any foods) in direct contact with aluminum, not even for short
duration, especially not seafood, never cook seafood in aluminum,
unless of course your concept of seafood is Mrs Pauls.

For resting meats with a rub plastic works best... even stainless
steel will react overnight... if not plastic use glass/glazed
ceramic.... beans with tomato the same... for cooking tomatoey beans
ceramic cookware is best. That hunk of rubbed brisket should have
been cooked directly on a grate, no cookware, with that I agree. But
for oven braizing glass/ceramic with a glass lid works best (no
metal), lining braising lids with foil to make a seal is something
only kitchen imbeciles do, use bread dough or even moistened stale
bread instead if you must, or simply buy better fitting cookware.
Corning makes some nice pieces for this purpose, of course there are
many other brands... I happen to prefer Anchor Hocking and Pyrex. I
never use aluminun foil to store foods, in fact I use very little
aluminum foil... a package can last me many years... about the only
food things I use it for is to protect steel bakeware from burnt sugar
such as when baking sweet potatoes in their jackets, or for tenting
roasts. I don't own any aluminum cookware other than nonstick
Nordicware... I don't own any cast iron cookware either (professional
cooks don't use cast iron cookware), I much prefer high carbon
steel... it's a kitchen, not Gold's Gym.

SHELDON

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gs" > wrote in message

>> I don't know how you think you have burnt ends when you boiled it in a
>> pan.
>>
>> Burnt ends are the crusty part you get when the meat sits on the grate.
>>
>> Ms P

> Oh they were crispy and moist. That is difficult for most to
> achieve. Since I am a seasoned and skilled BBQ'r I can do that
> consistently. You should give it a try. It would make you a better
> cook.

I don't think I'd call anybody that boils meat on a grill a "seasoned
BBQer." I'll stick to my tried and true dry methods.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gs gs is offline

On Jan 2, 12:19 pm, "Ms P" > wrote:
> "gs" > wrote in message

> >> I don't know how you think you have burnt ends when you boiled it in a
> >> pan.

> >> Burnt ends are the crusty part you get when the meat sits on the grate.

> >> Ms P

> > Oh they were crispy and moist. That is difficult for most to
> > achieve. Since I am a seasoned and skilled BBQ'r I can do that
> > consistently. You should give it a try. It would make you a better
> > cook.

> I don't think I'd call anybody that boils meat on a grill a "seasoned
> BBQer." I'll stick to my tried and true dry methods.
>
> Ms P

Nah, I have been doing it this way for many years and everyone agrees
that it is not only great, but an excellent piece of flavored meat.
Especially when accompanied by some beans. I have done both, on the
grate and in the pan and wowo, the pan is much more flavorful and
moist. The juices are what keep this burnt ends recipe from drying
out and going through the entire reconstitution of the meat. It was
fantastic, and still is. Everyone loves this meat and took some
home. The beans, wowo those were fantastic too. I will get you all
my sauce recipes for your books. You want to keep both of those in an
easily accessible place. I will let you know when they are up. I
hope to have them done tonight.

As for boiling, the beer never reached 212 so I do not know how you
could think that. You obviously are confused and should stick with
baking cookies and simple stuff like that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gs gs is offline

On Jan 2, 2:23 pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 10:49:33 -0800 (PST), gs wrote:
> > As for boiling, the beer never reached 212 so I do not know how you
> > could think that. You obviously are confused and should stick with
> > baking cookies and simple stuff like that.

> She's right. Most "seasoned and skilled BBQ'ers" would never
> think of cooking a brisket in aluminum. Or steel, or in anything
> but right on the grate of the pit.
>
> -sw

Oh I do that. Just not on this one. This is a special Burnt Ends
recipe. Just wait for the sauce. Wowo is that good stuff.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gs gs is offline

On Jan 2, 3:17 pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 12:47:10 -0800 (PST), gs wrote:

> >> She's right. Most "seasoned and skilled BBQ'ers" would never
> >> think of cooking a brisket in aluminum. Or steel, or in anything
> >> but right on the grate of the pit.

> > Oh I do that. Just not on this one. This is a special Burnt Ends
> > recipe. Just wait for the sauce. Wowo is that good stuff.

> And your insistence on calling it "burnt ends" is what's really
> odd. What you have there is simmered and smoked brisket, not
> burnt ends by any means.

-sw (somebody had to do it since that other guy is on vacation)

Thanks for the feedback on my Burnt Ends. Glad you all liked them. I
will try and get the sauces up tonight or tomorrow. Mmmm they were
good. Stay tuned...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 09:01:04 -0800 (PST), gs >
wrote:

>Oh they were crispy and moist. That is difficult for most to
>achieve. Since I am a seasoned and skilled BBQ'r I can do that
>consistently. You should give it a try. It would make you a better
>cook.

It seems you'd be better off with crock pot cooking. I think you're a
troll anyway.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gs gs is offline

On Jan 2, 4:40 pm, Lou Decruss > wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 09:01:04 -0800 (PST), gs >
> wrote:
>
> >Oh they were crispy and moist. That is difficult for most to
> >achieve. Since I am a seasoned and skilled BBQ'r I can do that
> >consistently. You should give it a try. It would make you a better
> >cook.

> It seems you'd be better off with crock pot cooking. I think you're a
> troll anyway.
>
> Lou

Thanks Lou. I have some great crockpot recipes as well. I may put
those up also. Glad to hear you like this. What is a troll?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 2, 3:42 pm, jay > wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 12:47:10 -0800 (PST), gs opined:
>

> > Just wait for the sauce. Wowo is that good stuff.

> To me BBQ done right doesn't need sauce.

It's a style thing. There's good dry Q, and good wet Q, and bad both
too.

> jay

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 12:47:10 -0800 (PST), gs wrote:

>>> She's right. Most "seasoned and skilled BBQ'ers" would never
>>> think of cooking a brisket in aluminum. Or steel, or in anything
>>> but right on the grate of the pit.

>> Oh I do that. Just not on this one. This is a special Burnt Ends
>> recipe. Just wait for the sauce. Wowo is that good stuff.

> And your insistence on calling it "burnt ends" is what's really
> odd. What you have there is simmered and smoked brisket, not
> burnt ends by any means.
>
> -sw (somebody had to do it since that other guy is on vacation)

He might as well dump some liquid smoke over it and stick it in the oven.
It would probably turn out about the same.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 21:26:54 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 15:23:32 -0800 (PST), gs wrote:
>
>> On Jan 2, 4:40 pm, Lou Decruss > wrote:

>>> It seems you'd be better off with crock pot cooking. I think you're a
>>> troll anyway.

>> Thanks Lou. I have some great crockpot recipes as well. I may put
>> those up also. Glad to hear you like this. What is a troll?

>The man refuses to let the laughter sink in.

I'll bet you can't wait for the crockpot recipes come rolling in.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ms P wrote:

> He might as well dump some liquid smoke over it

Is it better than smoking 2 cigarettes and then fart in the oven?
--
Vilco
Alaska: Scusa franchi, cantante del liga(bella merda). Tu avresti

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gs gs is offline

On Jan 3, 3:55 am, "Vilco" > wrote:
> Ms P wrote:
> > He might as well dump some liquid smoke over it

> Is it better than smoking 2 cigarettes and then fart in the oven?
> --
> Vilco
> Alaska: Scusa franchi, cantante del liga(bella merda). Tu avresti
> studiato musica per cantare il liga? Ok allora io studio astrofisica
> per scaccolarmi il naso.

Hey all check out the mustard BBQ sauce at:

http://bossytyle.blogspot.com/2008/0...bbq-sauce.html

Good stuff, no foil.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gs gs is offline

On Jan 3, 12:55 pm, jay > wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 10:25:20 -0800 (PST), gs wrote:

> >> Is it better than smoking 2 cigarettes and then fart in the oven?
> >> --
> >> Vilco
> >> Alaska: Scusa franchi, cantante del liga(bella merda). Tu avresti
> >> studiato musica per cantare il liga? Ok allora io studio astrofisica
> >> per scaccolarmi il naso.

> > Hey all check out the mustard BBQ sauce at:

> >http://bossytyle.blogspot.com/2008/0...bbq-sauce.html

> > Good stuff, no foil.

> Ok.. glad to see you learned a new word.. NONREACTIVE ..
> You have some promise. Your "sause" looks far better than your bbq.
>
> jay

My BBQ is great jay. Apparently your opinion is based solely on your
assumptions of what it may taste like. Since your opinion is derived
from photos and speculation and you are not an expert in the field, it
means nothing.

Thanks and enjoy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gs gs is offline

On Jan 3, 2:31 pm, jay > wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 11:20:00 -0800 (PST), gs wrote:

> >> Ok.. glad to see you learned a new word.. NONREACTIVE ..
> >> You have some promise. Your "sause" looks far better than your bbq.

> >> jay

> > Apparently your opinion is based solely on your
> > assumptions of what it may taste like. Since your opinion is derived
> > from photos and speculation

> DUH
>
> > and you are not an expert in the field, it
> > means nothing.

> I am a certified expert and my favorable opinion is critical.
>
> Check this site out.
>
> --> http://zapatopi.net/afdb/
>
> jay

Thanks jay for validating you are a certified idiot.

Enjoy the sauce and meat.

Oh God...(sigh)-It Never Ends Memorella General Cooking 0 29-01-2009 03:28 AM
BBQ Burnt Ends w/ photos gs Recipes 4 10-01-2008 05:11 AM
Burnt Ends w/ photos gs Barbecue 9 03-01-2008 04:32 AM
removing bud ends from fruit? William R. Watt Preserving 2 07-09-2005 05:42 AM
Burnt ends Reg Barbecue 6 27-02-2004 05:17 AM