Posted to alt.food.wine

Default 6 TN's: Roundup of Odds and Ends

In my typical fashion, I tried these wines without food. None of them
were terribly pricy.

2005 Skouras White (from Greece) - light yellow in color, peaches and
grapes on the nose, peach and lemon flavors with tangy acidity, off-
dry on the finish. 60% Roditis and 40% Moscofilero blend.

2006 Arca Nova Vinho Verde Branco Seco (Portugal) - light golden
color, peach/gasoline aroma, flavors of peach and grapefruit with racy
acidity, clean and dry finish.

2002 Blue Mountain Vineyards Pinot Grigio (Pennsylvania) - honey
colored with mead and apricot bouquet, lemon and grapefruit flavors
with the expected acidity, grapefruit lingering on the dry finish.

2005 Renwood Barbera (Calif) - cranberry in color, cherry and plum
aromas and flavors, moderate tannins and acidity, fairly long finish
with purple plums dominant.

2004 Crane Lake Petite Sirah (Calif) - deep maroon color, complex nose
of cherry and Italian sausage, soft flavors of black cherry and green
bell pepper with moderate tannins on the finish.

2005 Francois Labet Pinot Noir Vin de Pays de l'Ile de Beaute' -
medium red color, slightly earthen/black cherry aroma, mouthful of
dusty cherries with mild tannins, slightly hot finish.

Dan-O

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Aug 12, 9:22?pm, Dan the Man > wrote:
> In my typical fashion, I tried these wines without food. None of them
> were terribly pricy.
>
> 2005 Skouras White (from Greece) - light yellow in color, peaches and
> grapes on the nose, peach and lemon flavors with tangy acidity, off-
> dry on the finish. 60% Roditis and 40% Moscofilero blend.
>
> 2006 Arca Nova Vinho Verde Branco Seco (Portugal) - light golden
> color, peach/gasoline aroma, flavors of peach and grapefruit with racy
> acidity, clean and dry finish.
>
> 2002 Blue Mountain Vineyards Pinot Grigio (Pennsylvania) - honey
> colored with mead and apricot bouquet, lemon and grapefruit flavors
> with the expected acidity, grapefruit lingering on the dry finish.
>
> 2005 Renwood Barbera (Calif) - cranberry in color, cherry and plum
> aromas and flavors, moderate tannins and acidity, fairly long finish
> with purple plums dominant.
>
> 2004 Crane Lake Petite Sirah (Calif) - deep maroon color, complex nose
> of cherry and Italian sausage, soft flavors of black cherry and green
> bell pepper with moderate tannins on the finish.
>
> 2005 Francois Labet Pinot Noir Vin de Pays de l'Ile de Beaute' -
> medium red color, slightly earthen/black cherry aroma, mouthful of
> dusty cherries with mild tannins, slightly hot finish.
>
> Dan-O

I just tried the Arco Nova VV last week. Sounded like we both thought
it a good value if not especially exciting,

Crane Lake sounds nice, a bit more managable tannin-wise than most
PS.

Thanks for notes.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Aug 13, 3:23?pm, DaleW > wrote:
> On Aug 12, 9:22?pm, Dan the Man > wrote:
>

> > In my typical fashion, I tried these wines without food. None of them
> > were terribly pricy.

> > 2005 Skouras White (from Greece) - light yellow in color, peaches and
> > grapes on the nose, peach and lemon flavors with tangy acidity, off-
> > dry on the finish. 60% Roditis and 40% Moscofilero blend.

> > 2006 Arca Nova Vinho Verde Branco Seco (Portugal) - light golden
> > color, peach/gasoline aroma, flavors of peach and grapefruit with racy
> > acidity, clean and dry finish.

> > 2002 Blue Mountain Vineyards Pinot Grigio (Pennsylvania) - honey
> > colored with mead and apricot bouquet, lemon and grapefruit flavors
> > with the expected acidity, grapefruit lingering on the dry finish.

> > 2005 Renwood Barbera (Calif) - cranberry in color, cherry and plum
> > aromas and flavors, moderate tannins and acidity, fairly long finish
> > with purple plums dominant.

> > 2004 Crane Lake Petite Sirah (Calif) - deep maroon color, complex nose
> > of cherry and Italian sausage, soft flavors of black cherry and green
> > bell pepper with moderate tannins on the finish.

> > 2005 Francois Labet Pinot Noir Vin de Pays de l'Ile de Beaute' -
> > medium red color, slightly earthen/black cherry aroma, mouthful of
> > dusty cherries with mild tannins, slightly hot finish.

> > Dan-O

> I just tried the Arco Nova VV last week. Sounded like we both thought
> it a good value if not especially exciting,
>
> Crane Lake sounds nice, a bit more managable tannin-wise than most
> PS.
>
> Thanks for notes.- Hide quoted text -

The Crane Lake that I've had never quite agreed with me. It's about
$6.00 here in Ohio so it's probably under $5 in many States. Like many
inexpensive wines it has a chemical after taste to me. They probably
use tannin powder and flavor enhancers.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Aug 13, 4:06 pm, Bi!! > wrote:
> On Aug 13, 3:23?pm, DaleW > wrote:
>

> > On Aug 12, 9:22?pm, Dan the Man > wrote:

> > > In my typical fashion, I tried these wines without food. None of them
> > > were terribly pricy.

> > > 2005 Skouras White (from Greece) - light yellow in color, peaches and
> > > grapes on the nose, peach and lemon flavors with tangy acidity, off-
> > > dry on the finish. 60% Roditis and 40% Moscofilero blend.

> > > 2006 Arca Nova Vinho Verde Branco Seco (Portugal) - light golden
> > > color, peach/gasoline aroma, flavors of peach and grapefruit with racy
> > > acidity, clean and dry finish.

> > > 2002 Blue Mountain Vineyards Pinot Grigio (Pennsylvania) - honey
> > > colored with mead and apricot bouquet, lemon and grapefruit flavors
> > > with the expected acidity, grapefruit lingering on the dry finish.

> > > 2005 Renwood Barbera (Calif) - cranberry in color, cherry and plum
> > > aromas and flavors, moderate tannins and acidity, fairly long finish
> > > with purple plums dominant.

> > > 2004 Crane Lake Petite Sirah (Calif) - deep maroon color, complex nose
> > > of cherry and Italian sausage, soft flavors of black cherry and green
> > > bell pepper with moderate tannins on the finish.

> > > 2005 Francois Labet Pinot Noir Vin de Pays de l'Ile de Beaute' -
> > > medium red color, slightly earthen/black cherry aroma, mouthful of
> > > dusty cherries with mild tannins, slightly hot finish.

> > > Dan-O

> > I just tried the Arco Nova VV last week. Sounded like we both thought
> > it a good value if not especially exciting,

> > Crane Lake sounds nice, a bit more managable tannin-wise than most
> > PS.

> > Thanks for notes.- Hide quoted text -

> The Crane Lake that I've had never quite agreed with me. It's about
> $6.00 here in Ohio so it's probably under $5 in many States. Like many
> inexpensive wines it has a chemical after taste to me. They probably
> use tannin powder and flavor enhancers.- Hide quoted text -

I think the Crane Lake was $6.00 here in PA as well. Thought it was
worth a shot. I have little experience with PS, so I can't say if
there were any additives.

Dan-O

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Aug 13, 3:23 pm, DaleW > wrote:
> On Aug 12, 9:22?pm, Dan the Man > wrote:
>

> > In my typical fashion, I tried these wines without food. None of them
> > were terribly pricy.

> > 2005 Skouras White (from Greece) - light yellow in color, peaches and
> > grapes on the nose, peach and lemon flavors with tangy acidity, off-
> > dry on the finish. 60% Roditis and 40% Moscofilero blend.

> > 2006 Arca Nova Vinho Verde Branco Seco (Portugal) - light golden
> > color, peach/gasoline aroma, flavors of peach and grapefruit with racy
> > acidity, clean and dry finish.

> > 2002 Blue Mountain Vineyards Pinot Grigio (Pennsylvania) - honey
> > colored with mead and apricot bouquet, lemon and grapefruit flavors
> > with the expected acidity, grapefruit lingering on the dry finish.

> > 2005 Renwood Barbera (Calif) - cranberry in color, cherry and plum
> > aromas and flavors, moderate tannins and acidity, fairly long finish
> > with purple plums dominant.

> > 2004 Crane Lake Petite Sirah (Calif) - deep maroon color, complex nose
> > of cherry and Italian sausage, soft flavors of black cherry and green
> > bell pepper with moderate tannins on the finish.

> > 2005 Francois Labet Pinot Noir Vin de Pays de l'Ile de Beaute' -
> > medium red color, slightly earthen/black cherry aroma, mouthful of
> > dusty cherries with mild tannins, slightly hot finish.

> > Dan-O

> I just tried the Arco Nova VV last week. Sounded like we both thought
> it a good value if not especially exciting,

Yes, the VV was probably my favorite of this lot. All were under $10.

> Crane Lake sounds nice, a bit more managable tannin-wise than most
> PS.
>
> Thanks for notes.- Hide quoted text -

Your welcome. I was overdue for a new posting!

Dan-O

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Aug 14, 12:34?pm, Dan the Man > wrote:
> On Aug 13, 4:06 pm, Bi!! > wrote:

> > > I just tried the Arco Nova VV last week. Sounded like we both thought
> > > it a good value if not especially exciting,

> > > Crane Lake sounds nice, a bit more managable tannin-wise than most
> > > PS.

> > > Thanks for notes.- Hide quoted text -

> > The Crane Lake that I've had never quite agreed with me. It's about
> > $6.00 here in Ohio so it's probably under $5 in many States. Like many
> > inexpensive wines it has a chemical after taste to me. They probably
> > use tannin powder and flavor enhancers.- Hide quoted text -

> I think the Crane Lake was $6.00 here in PA as well. Thought it was
> worth a shot. I have little experience with PS, so I can't say if
> there were any additives.
>
> Dan-O- Hide quoted text -

Crane Lake is a Bronco brand (Charles Shaw aka Two Buck Chuck) and my
guess is that it never sees a barrel and from vineyard to bottle is a
very short time probably under a week. In order to make wine this
fast the makers tend to use chemicals and additives to add flavor and
body that normally would come with fermentation and barrel aging. If
you ever saw Bronco's facility you would guess it to be a Dow Chemical
plant not a winery.

Posted to alt.food.wine

In article .com>,
Bi!! > wrote:

> On Aug 14, 12:34?pm, Dan the Man > wrote:

> > > The Crane Lake that I've had never quite agreed with me. It's about
> > > $6.00 here in Ohio so it's probably under $5 in many States. Like many
> > > inexpensive wines it has a chemical after taste to me. They probably
> > > use tannin powder and flavor enhancers.- Hide quoted text -

> > I think the Crane Lake was $6.00 here in PA as well. Thought it was
> > worth a shot. I have little experience with PS, so I can't say if
> > there were any additives.
> >
> > Dan-O- Hide quoted text -

> Crane Lake is a Bronco brand (Charles Shaw aka Two Buck Chuck) and my
> guess is that it never sees a barrel and from vineyard to bottle is a
> very short time probably under a week. In order to make wine this
> fast the makers tend to use chemicals and additives to add flavor and
> body that normally would come with fermentation and barrel aging. If
> you ever saw Bronco's facility you would guess it to be a Dow Chemical
> plant not a winery.

I have seen one and I would have to agree. This is one of my main
reasons for not buying or drinking 2 or 3 buck chuck. They are chemistry
experiments at best.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Aug 17, 9:35?am, Lawrence Leichtman > wrote:
> In article .com>,
>

> Bi!! > wrote:

> > > I think the Crane Lake was $6.00 here in PA as well. Thought it was
> > > worth a shot. I have little experience with PS, so I can't say if
> > > there were any additives.

> > > Dan-O- Hide quoted text -

> > Crane Lake is a Bronco brand (Charles Shaw aka Two Buck Chuck) and my
> > guess is that it never sees a barrel and from vineyard to bottle is a
> > very short time probably under a week. In order to make wine this
> > fast the makers tend to use chemicals and additives to add flavor and
> > body that normally would come with fermentation and barrel aging. If
> > you ever saw Bronco's facility you would guess it to be a Dow Chemical
> > plant not a winery.

> I have seen one and I would have to agree. This is one of my main
> reasons for not buying or drinking 2 or 3 buck chuck. They are chemistry
> experiments at best.- Hide quoted text -

It always amazes me when I see people buying cases of Charles Shaw or
any other under $5.00 bulk wine and they explain that they are
drinking red wine for health reasons. While I'm not a big fan of
regulation by the government, I'm beginning to think that wine should
be labeled with a disclosure notice of additives......for health
reasons.