Default Freezer to stovetop

What kind of containers would withstand going from freezer to stovetop ?
Thanks
The Joneses

A wrote:

> What kind of containers would withstand going from freezer to stovetop ?
> Thanks

The Foodsaver (and clones I expect) advertises that one can take frozen food
in their little baggies and place in boiling water to heat, or vented and
carefully heated in the microwave. One can also freeze food in any kind of
container (lined with plastic?) and decant to the foodsaver bags when stiff
enuf not to slop around during the vacuum process. This might solve your
problem with containers after all.
Edrena

The Cook

The Joneses > wrote:

>A wrote:
>
>> What kind of containers would withstand going from freezer to stovetop ?
>> Thanks

>The Foodsaver (and clones I expect) advertises that one can take frozen food
>in their little baggies and place in boiling water to heat, or vented and
>carefully heated in the microwave. One can also freeze food in any kind of
>container (lined with plastic?) and decant to the foodsaver bags when stiff
>enuf not to slop around during the vacuum process. This might solve your
>problem with containers after all.
>Edrena

Corning Ware.
--
Susan N.

"Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral, 48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."
zxcvbob

The Cook wrote:
> The Joneses > wrote:
>

>>A wrote:
>>

>>>What kind of containers would withstand going from freezer to stovetop ?
>>>Thanks

>>The Foodsaver (and clones I expect) advertises that one can take frozen food
>>in their little baggies and place in boiling water to heat, or vented and
>>carefully heated in the microwave. One can also freeze food in any kind of
>>container (lined with plastic?) and decant to the foodsaver bags when stiff
>>enuf not to slop around during the vacuum process. This might solve your
>>problem with containers after all.
>>Edrena
>>

> Corning Ware.

They don't make real Corningware anymore. The new stuff is just
stoneware. If you want the freezer-to-stovetop ceramic, you gotta buy
old stuff on eBay or at thrift stores.

Best regards,
Bob
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 30 Jul 2005 08:12:45a, zxcvbob wrote in rec.food.preserving:

> The Cook wrote:
>> The Joneses > wrote:

>>>The Foodsaver (and clones I expect) advertises that one can take frozen
>>>food in their little baggies and place in boiling water to heat, or
>>>vented and carefully heated in the microwave. One can also freeze food
>>>in any kind of container (lined with plastic?) and decant to the
>>>foodsaver bags when stiff enuf not to slop around during the vacuum
>>>process. This might solve your problem with containers after all.
>>>Edrena
>>>

>> Corning Ware.

> They don't make real Corningware anymore. The new stuff is just
> stoneware. If you want the freezer-to-stovetop ceramic, you gotta buy
> old stuff on eBay or at thrift stores.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

You're kidding, right? What I've seen looks the same as what they used to
make.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0530-3, 07/29/2005
Tested on: 7/30/2005 11:04:17 AM

Anny Middon

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message

> They don't make real Corningware anymore. The new stuff is just
> stoneware. If you want the freezer-to-stovetop ceramic, you gotta buy old
> stuff on eBay or at thrift stores.

According to their website, the French White line (still in production) is
freezer-to-oven and freezer-to-microwave safe. Their other products don't
make this claim, so I would guess this isn't true for them.

Anny

zxcvbob

Anny Middon wrote:

> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>

>>They don't make real Corningware anymore. The new stuff is just
>>stoneware. If you want the freezer-to-stovetop ceramic, you gotta buy old
>>stuff on eBay or at thrift stores.
>>

> According to their website, the French White line (still in production) is
> freezer-to-oven and freezer-to-microwave safe. Their other products don't
> make this claim, so I would guess this isn't true for them.
>
> Anny

But none of the new stuff is safe for the broiler or stovetop like the
old square "Cornflower" (and other patterns) was.

Bob
Boron Elgar

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 16:01:13 GMT, "Anny Middon"
> wrote:

>"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>>

>> They don't make real Corningware anymore. The new stuff is just
>> stoneware. If you want the freezer-to-stovetop ceramic, you gotta buy old
>> stuff on eBay or at thrift stores.
>>

>According to their website, the French White line (still in production) is
>freezer-to-oven and freezer-to-microwave safe. Their other products don't
>make this claim, so I would guess this isn't true for them.
>
>Anny

Over the years I gave away or moved away from my old Corning ware. I
bought the French White to replace it. They are nothing like the old.
They are poorly made, easily chipped and useless. Plastic tops instead
of glass covers. blech

I found myself a wonderful collection of the old blue cornflower on
eBay a few months ago and I have been thrilled ever since. They can
bury me in this stuff

Boron
Anny Middon

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Anny Middon wrote:
>
>> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>>

>>>They don't make real Corningware anymore. The new stuff is just
>>>stoneware. If you want the freezer-to-stovetop ceramic, you gotta buy
>>>old stuff on eBay or at thrift stores.
>>>

>> According to their website, the French White line (still in production)
>> is freezer-to-oven and freezer-to-microwave safe. Their other products
>> don't make this claim, so I would guess this isn't true for them.
>>
>> Anny
>>

> But none of the new stuff is safe for the broiler or stovetop like the old
> square "Cornflower" (and other patterns) was.

Hadn't thought about the stovetop business. I rarely use my corningware
that way. I think I mentally associate the stuff with pyrex, which does the
freezer-to-oven (conventional or microwave) fine, but can't be used on the
stovetop.

Not that pyrex is indestructible in the hot-to-cold transition. One I
wanted to make a beef roast with oven-roasted potatoes. I typically preheat
my oven as high as it will go, pop in the roast and then lower the temp to
325F. (I know Alton Brown does it the other way around, but this works for
me.)

This day I was running a little late in starting dinner and I decided to put
the roast in while the oven preheated and then add the potatoes when I
turned the temp down. I pulled the hot pyrex pan from the oven and
concluded the roast hadn't yet put off enough fat to prevent the potatoes
from sticking so I decided to add some butter to the pan. When the
refrigerator-cold butter hit the dish it exploded.

Luckily I was wearing a heavy sweatshirt and was standing very close to the
pan, which exploded out instead of up -- I wasn't cut by the flying glass.

Anny