Anny Middon

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Anny Middon wrote:
>
>> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>>

>>>They don't make real Corningware anymore. The new stuff is just
>>>stoneware. If you want the freezer-to-stovetop ceramic, you gotta buy
>>>old stuff on eBay or at thrift stores.
>>>

>> According to their website, the French White line (still in production)
>> is freezer-to-oven and freezer-to-microwave safe. Their other products
>> don't make this claim, so I would guess this isn't true for them.
>>
>> Anny
>>

> But none of the new stuff is safe for the broiler or stovetop like the old
> square "Cornflower" (and other patterns) was.

Hadn't thought about the stovetop business. I rarely use my corningware
that way. I think I mentally associate the stuff with pyrex, which does the
freezer-to-oven (conventional or microwave) fine, but can't be used on the
stovetop.

Not that pyrex is indestructible in the hot-to-cold transition. One I
wanted to make a beef roast with oven-roasted potatoes. I typically preheat
my oven as high as it will go, pop in the roast and then lower the temp to
325F. (I know Alton Brown does it the other way around, but this works for
me.)

This day I was running a little late in starting dinner and I decided to put
the roast in while the oven preheated and then add the potatoes when I
turned the temp down. I pulled the hot pyrex pan from the oven and
concluded the roast hadn't yet put off enough fat to prevent the potatoes
from sticking so I decided to add some butter to the pan. When the
refrigerator-cold butter hit the dish it exploded.

Luckily I was wearing a heavy sweatshirt and was standing very close to the
pan, which exploded out instead of up -- I wasn't cut by the flying glass.

Anny