Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Long day!

Today, starting with apples we picked yesterday, we peeled, cored and
sliced enough apples to can two 7-quart batches of Apple Pie Filling
using the USDA guide recipe
http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_02/can_...e_filling.html
We used a mixture of our own home grown, totally organic apples so
they were essentially free. But, if the two of us had been on a
payroll, even at minimum wage, each quart of pie filling is worth
about CAD$16.00 (USD$12.00).
We will appreciate them in the miserable cold months that are right
around the corner.

Ross.
Southern Ontario, Canada
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 10/25/2016 5:10 PM, wrote:
> Today, starting with apples we picked yesterday, we peeled, cored and
> sliced enough apples to can two 7-quart batches of Apple Pie Filling
> using the USDA guide recipe

http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_02/can_...e_filling.html
> We used a mixture of our own home grown, totally organic apples so
> they were essentially free. But, if the two of us had been on a
> payroll, even at minimum wage, each quart of pie filling is worth
> about CAD$16.00 (USD$12.00).
> We will appreciate them in the miserable cold months that are right
> around the corner.
>
> Ross.
> Southern Ontario, Canada

We picked our pears earlier this year at the peak of ripeness. In
addition to juicing the pears with the steamer and making pear jelly, a
lovely rosy yellow, we also turned the pulp into pear sauce, half the
jars with cinnamon, the other half with other spices. Will taste at
least one soon.

It's not the wage Ross, it's the self-satisfaction of making something
you will later enjoy and so will family and friends. It's also great fun
for we old people who are following our old people who have now gone to
their final reward.

George
Posted to rec.food.preserving

wrote:
> Today, starting with apples we picked yesterday, we peeled, cored and
> sliced enough apples to can two 7-quart batches of Apple Pie Filling
> using the USDA guide recipe

http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_02/can_...e_filling.html
> We used a mixture of our own home grown, totally organic apples so
> they were essentially free. But, if the two of us had been on a
> payroll, even at minimum wage, each quart of pie filling is worth
> about CAD$16.00 (USD$12.00).
> We will appreciate them in the miserable cold months that are right
> around the corner.

i love apple season! i'm not sure this
year if we're doing apple sauce or not.

even when i do the math for how much it
takes us to put things up it always comes
up pretty good in comparison to what it
would cost at the store.

the added benefits are often that i don't
have to taste metal cans or odd additives,
less sugar/salt or black pepper.

we have pickled beets to do soon.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sat, 29 Oct 2016 05:58:26 -0500, George Shirley >
wrote:

>On 10/28/2016 8:04 PM, gloria p wrote:
>> On 10/25/2016 4:10 PM, wrote:
>>> But, if the two of us had been on a
>>> payroll, even at minimum wage, each quart of pie filling is worth
>>> about CAD$16.00 (USD$12.00).
>>> We will appreciate them in the miserable cold months that are right
>>> around the corner.

>> Consider your labor the cost of the wonderful winter apple desserts you
>> will enjoy. Wouldn't it be a shame to leave the fruit on the tree or on
>> the ground?
>>
>> George and others are right about the sense of satisfaction most of us
>> get from seeing our products on the table throughout the year.
>>
>> gloria p
>>

>Amen. Up early giving the dawg her morning meds. Who ever thought that a
>dog could have allergies. God Bless veterinarians.
>
>George

You mean those guys with a licence to print money.
Our dog Ali has a recurring bladder infection so every time it happens
we just call the vet and ask for the same antibiotics. We drive in to
town to the vet's office to pick up the meds and are charged for an
office visit, and a dispensing fee on top of the meds, total $106.00.
This is the same type of antibiotic a dentist prescribes for a gum
infection which cost $30.00. Grrrrr!

OB: r.f.p. Did another 7 quarts of apple pie filling yesterday. Today
used the Mehu stainless juicer to produce almost 6 quarts of Concord
grape juice which we will turn into jelly in the next day or two.

Ross.
Southern Ontario, Canada
Posted to rec.food.preserving

wrote:

>>> Consider your labor the cost of the wonderful winter apple desserts you
>>> will enjoy. Wouldn't it be a shame to leave the fruit on the tree or on
>>> the ground?
>>>
>>> George and others are right about the sense of satisfaction most of us
>>> get from seeing our products on the table throughout the year.
>>>
>>> gloria p
>>>

>> Amen. Up early giving the dawg her morning meds. Who ever thought that a
>> dog could have allergies. God Bless veterinarians.
>>
>> George

> You mean those guys with a licence to print money.
> Our dog Ali has a recurring bladder infection so every time it happens
> we just call the vet and ask for the same antibiotics. We drive in to
> town to the vet's office to pick up the meds and are charged for an
> office visit, and a dispensing fee on top of the meds, total $106.00.
> This is the same type of antibiotic a dentist prescribes for a gum
> infection which cost $30.00. Grrrrr!
>
> OB: r.f.p. Did another 7 quarts of apple pie filling yesterday. Today
> used the Mehu stainless juicer to produce almost 6 quarts of Concord
> grape juice which we will turn into jelly in the next day or two.
>
> Ross.
> Southern Ontario, Canada

Tilly is on antihistamines two pills a day twelve hours apart. Total
cost for 30 days is $11.00. Office call is $30.00 but that includes
checking out the dog. To get meds call, go pick up, pay for meds. You're
obviously getting screwed Ross. Previous vet for us turned into a doggie
boutique, don't much attention to sick dogs, high charges for
everything. Run by six different female vets, our new one is an older
female too but very down to earth. Had an older female and an older male
vet that take turns as they work ten hour days. I'm already liking the
new vets.

We're harvesting a few okra pods daily, a few eggplant a week, and still
getting very small sweet peppers off the now three year old plant. I
suspect a frost, if we ever get any, will kill the pepper and other
summer plants.

George, SE Texas, USA
Posted to rec.food.preserving

> >> Consider your labor the cost of the wonderful winter apple desserts you
> >> will enjoy. Wouldn't it be a shame to leave the fruit on the tree or on
> >> the ground?
> >>
> >> George and others are right about the sense of satisfaction most of us
> >> get from seeing our products on the table throughout the year.
> >>
> >> gloria p
> >>

> >Amen. Up early giving the dawg her morning meds. Who ever thought that a
> >dog could have allergies. God Bless veterinarians.
> >
> >George

> You mean those guys with a licence to print money.
> Our dog Ali has a recurring bladder infection so every time it happens
> we just call the vet and ask for the same antibiotics. We drive in to
> town to the vet's office to pick up the meds and are charged for an
> office visit, and a dispensing fee on top of the meds, total $106.00.
> This is the same type of antibiotic a dentist prescribes for a gum
> infection which cost $30.00. Grrrrr!
>

> Ross.
> Southern Ontario, Canada

This recently was posted by a vet industry professional in a FB group in Toronto, might be something you could investigate sometime:

"A tip to Pet Parents ... if you have a prescription for your pet, give your pharmacist a call and ask if it's a prescription they can fill for you. Most pet medications they'll be able to fill with a veterinarians prescription (vet's you've established a relationship with shouldn't charge to write you a prescription, but worst case scenario they shouldn't charge more than 20.00 to write it out for you).... If you have a prescription from your veterinarian, and your pet is on medication long term, there are local options available that will very likely save you a large amount of money."

The 10th Annual Schaller State Fair Ribbon Report - The Queen is Dead! Long live the Queen! - But Life Ain't Bad (Long) Melba's Jammin' Preserving 16 01-09-2005 06:33 PM
The 10th Annual Schaller State Fair Ribbon Report - The Queen is Dead! Long live the Queen! - But Life Ain't Bad (Long) Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 50 28-08-2005 02:07 AM
How long does it last? Ruddell General Cooking 13 25-04-2005 06:28 AM
How long at the bar? Musashi Sushi 63 12-11-2004 10:04 PM
Maybe I should say "So long" frohe Barbecue 45 23-05-2004 06:37 AM