Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default PING George Shirley

Happy birthday, you old goat! I hope you took Miz Anne to dinner to celebrate.
Barb
www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 9/23/2014 7:19 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Happy birthday, you old goat! I hope you took Miz Anne to dinner to
> celebrate.

Nope, I made dinner here at home while she was mowing. Beef wieners
wrapped in a crescent roll and baked, small batch of chili, some Swiss
Chard and beets on the side. We won't discuss dessert. <G>

I truly never expect to live this long, you know the reasons why. Not in
the best of health but still getting around and have all of our get
coming over on Sunday, only day all of them can get off work and duties.
Cake and ice cream and NO presents. I got greetings emails from my
dentist and the owner of the dealership where I bought our latest
vehicle plus an email card from my friend in Louisiana. That's enough
stuff for one day.

My next birthday party will be 25 years from now as the last one was 25
years ago. No point in having a party every year when we have 21
descendants parties to go to every year. Our youngest great
granddaughter was three yesterday.

George
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 9/23/2014 7:07 PM, George Shirley wrote:
> On 9/23/2014 7:19 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> Happy birthday, you old goat! I hope you took Miz Anne to dinner to
>> celebrate.

> I truly never expect to live this long, you know the reasons why. Not in
> the best of health but still getting around and have all of our get
> coming over on Sunday, only day all of them can get off work and duties.
> Cake and ice cream and NO presents. I got greetings emails from my
> dentist and the owner of the dealership where I bought our latest
> vehicle plus an email card from my friend in Louisiana. That's enough
> stuff for one day.

Add my wishes, too, George. Thirty-nine years old, aren't you?
Happy birthday and many more.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 9/23/2014 10:17 PM, gloria p wrote:
> On 9/23/2014 7:07 PM, George Shirley wrote:
>> On 9/23/2014 7:19 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>> Happy birthday, you old goat! I hope you took Miz Anne to dinner to
>>> celebrate.

>> I truly never expect to live this long, you know the reasons why. Not in
>> the best of health but still getting around and have all of our get
>> coming over on Sunday, only day all of them can get off work and duties.
>> Cake and ice cream and NO presents. I got greetings emails from my
>> dentist and the owner of the dealership where I bought our latest
>> vehicle plus an email card from my friend in Louisiana. That's enough
>> stuff for one day.
>>

> Add my wishes, too, George. Thirty-nine years old, aren't you?
> Happy birthday and many more.
>
> gloria p

Nope, I'm honest, hit 75 this year. At age thirty-nine I was still
studly. <G>

How's Colorado nowadays?

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Happy belated birthday, George! I will expect an invitation to the next
party.

djb

One site: <http://www.balderstone.ca>
The other site, with ww links<http://www.woodenwabbits.com>

Posted to rec.food.preserving

> Happy belated birthday, George! I will expect an invitation to the next
> party.
>
> djb

If we're both around in twenty-five years I certainly will invite you.
We could have a wheel chair race. <G>

George
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
> I truly never expect to live this long, you know the reasons why. Not in
> the best of health but still getting around...

Happy Birthday to George!

we only get to say this once every 25 years? hmmm...

picked three very nice huge red peppers today and
ate one of them with homemade sourdough bread, pulled
pork and a splash of mustard.

the green peppers think it is the middle of summer
and are flowering up a storm. all these nice sunny
days and reasonable temperatures.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 9/24/2014 6:18 PM, songbird wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>> I truly never expect to live this long, you know the reasons why. Not in
>> the best of health but still getting around...

> Happy Birthday to George!
>
> we only get to say this once every 25 years? hmmm...
>

> picked three very nice huge red peppers today and
> ate one of them with homemade sourdough bread, pulled
> pork and a splash of mustard.
>
> the green peppers think it is the middle of summer
> and are flowering up a storm. all these nice sunny
> days and reasonable temperatures.
>

> songbird

We're having some pretty nice weather right now, low sixties at night
and early morning, up into the nineties again by mid afternoon.
Harvesting cucumbers today,probably going to make a nice salad with some
store bought lettuce, chard from the garden, scallions, and some tiny
little tomatoes, and, of course, some store bought celery plus whatever
we can find in the herb garden. May even be some rain in sight.

George
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >, George Shirley
> wrote:

> On 9/24/2014 4:49 PM, Dave Balderstone wrote:
> > Happy belated birthday, George! I will expect an invitation to the next
> > party.
> >
> > djb
> >

> If we're both around in twenty-five years I certainly will invite you.
> We could have a wheel chair race. <G>
>
> George

Naw. We'll go deer hunting.

;-D

--
³Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness
sobered, but stupid lasts forever.² -- Aristophanes
Posted to rec.food.preserving

> In article >, George Shirley
> > wrote:
>
>> On 9/24/2014 4:49 PM, Dave Balderstone wrote:
>>> Happy belated birthday, George! I will expect an invitation to the next
>>> party.
>>>
>>> djb
>>>

>> If we're both around in twenty-five years I certainly will invite you.
>> We could have a wheel chair race. <G>
>>
>> George

> Naw. We'll go deer hunting.
>
> ;-D

I'm going in November, here in Texas, haven't hunted deer in over 25
years. Grandson has a free lease with lots of deer. Texas is allowing
two bucks and three does this year or just take five does. Can't eat
antlers so I'm looking for does.

I can remember when Texas allowed only bucks, no does, and any of them
were hard to find in East and SE Texas. I see deer alongside the roads
around here in broad daylight, carcasses also. Lots of buzzards floating
around all the time, you can nearly always tell where a deer was hit by
a vehicle by the circling buzzards. I nearly ran over a coyote the other
day on the street I live on.

You would think that with over 5 million people living in this area
there would be nothing wild left. We deer tracks behind our house nearly
every morning. Alas, no stands here.

George

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >, George Shirley
> wrote:

> On 9/26/2014 3:56 PM, Dave Balderstone wrote:
> > In article >, George Shirley
> > > wrote:

> >> If we're both around in twenty-five years I certainly will invite you.
> >> We could have a wheel chair race. <G>
> >>
> >> George

> > Naw. We'll go deer hunting.
> >
> > ;-D
> >

> I'm going in November, here in Texas, haven't hunted deer in over 25
> years. Grandson has a free lease with lots of deer. Texas is allowing
> two bucks and three does this year or just take five does. Can't eat
> antlers so I'm looking for does.
>
> I can remember when Texas allowed only bucks, no does, and any of them
> were hard to find in East and SE Texas. I see deer alongside the roads
> around here in broad daylight, carcasses also. Lots of buzzards floating
> around all the time, you can nearly always tell where a deer was hit by
> a vehicle by the circling buzzards. I nearly ran over a coyote the other
> day on the street I live on.
>
> You would think that with over 5 million people living in this area
> there would be nothing wild left. We deer tracks behind our house nearly
> every morning. Alas, no stands here.
>
> George

Deer populations are down here after a couple of hard winters.
Whitetails got hit the hardest, there are still a good number of mule
deer. But limits here are one, even for mulies this year.

I've got an archery tag for mulie, and regular season tags for
whitetail, elk and moose.

Hopefully I'll be making a lot of jerky and sausages this year (OB
preserving reference). I won't stock up on vacuum bags till I get an
animal, though.

--
³Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness
sobered, but stupid lasts forever.² -- Aristophanes
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Tuesday, September 23, 2014 8:19:28 PM UTC-4, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Happy birthday, you old goat! I hope you took Miz Anne to dinner to celebrate.

> Barb
>
> www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

I love how she still calls you "you old goat" ! happy Birthday George! and many many more

Kathi
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 10/2/2014 10:24 AM, Dave Balderstone wrote:
> In article >, George Shirley
> > wrote:
>
>> On 9/26/2014 3:56 PM, Dave Balderstone wrote:
>>> In article >, George Shirley

>>> Naw. We'll go deer hunting.
>>>
>>> ;-D
>>>

>> I'm going in November, here in Texas, haven't hunted deer in over 25
>> years. Grandson has a free lease with lots of deer. Texas is allowing
>> two bucks and three does this year or just take five does. Can't eat
>> antlers so I'm looking for does.
>>
>> I can remember when Texas allowed only bucks, no does, and any of them
>> were hard to find in East and SE Texas. I see deer alongside the roads
>> around here in broad daylight, carcasses also. Lots of buzzards floating
>> around all the time, you can nearly always tell where a deer was hit by
>> a vehicle by the circling buzzards. I nearly ran over a coyote the other
>> day on the street I live on.
>>
>> You would think that with over 5 million people living in this area
>> there would be nothing wild left. We deer tracks behind our house nearly
>> every morning. Alas, no stands here.
>>
>> George

> Deer populations are down here after a couple of hard winters.
> Whitetails got hit the hardest, there are still a good number of mule
> deer. But limits here are one, even for mulies this year.
>
> I've got an archery tag for mulie, and regular season tags for
> whitetail, elk and moose.
>
> Hopefully I'll be making a lot of jerky and sausages this year (OB
> preserving reference). I won't stock up on vacuum bags till I get an
> animal, though.

I generally try to get a feral hog at the same time. Venison and pork
link sausage is one of our favorites. Since there seems to be hundreds
of thousands of hogs running around our countryside maybe I will get the
chance.

I stock up on vacuum bags quite often. Today I emptied the clean, used
vac bags bucket and turned them back right side out and used a few of
them to vac seal some nice Angus ribeyes I found in the "used meat" bin
at the supermarket. Some call it the "Manager's Special" and it's where
the meat is coming off the "sell by" date. I've got a freezer completely
full of that sort of thing, running from chicken to beef and pork
roasts. I encourage other shoppers to think it's "icky" meat just so I
can hog it myself. I do that sort of shopping for my eldest, grown-up
grandkids because they have to work and I don't. <G>
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 10/2/2014 5:01 PM, Kathi wrote:
> On Tuesday, September 23, 2014 8:19:28 PM UTC-4, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> Happy birthday, you old goat! I hope you took Miz Anne to dinner to celebrate.
>>
>> --
>>
>> --
>>
>> Barb
>>
>> www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

> I love how she still calls you "you old goat" ! happy Birthday George! and many many more
>
> Kathi

Barb was with us in 2007 for a week and she realized she had met an "Old
Goat" right away. I have a tee shirt my grands gave me years ago, the
back says, "Warning, Grumpy Old Goat."
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >, George Shirley
> wrote:

> I generally try to get a feral hog at the same time. Venison and pork
> link sausage is one of our favorites. Since there seems to be hundreds
> of thousands of hogs running around our countryside maybe I will get the
> chance.

We've got a boar and feral problem up here, but the bastids is hard to
hunt in our terrain. Lots of sloughs and small water holes throughout
the farmland, and they like bedding down in the reeds and rushes there.
That makes them damn hard to spot, and on foot you run some pretty
serious risk of getting badly hurt. I wouldn't go with fewer than three
people. Just about rut time for deer up here, so I'm starting to plan
some hunting trips. We've got both whitetail and mule deer.

> I stock up on vacuum bags quite often. Today I emptied the clean, used
> vac bags bucket and turned them back right side out and used a few of
> them to vac seal some nice Angus ribeyes I found in the "used meat" bin
> at the supermarket. Some call it the "Manager's Special" and it's where
> the meat is coming off the "sell by" date. I've got a freezer completely
> full of that sort of thing, running from chicken to beef and pork
> roasts. I encourage other shoppers to think it's "icky" meat just so I
> can hog it myself. I do that sort of shopping for my eldest, grown-up
> grandkids because they have to work and I don't. <G>

We had a supermarket merger here, and my favorite stores are gone,
along with Safeway's used meat bin. Sad making. Still, there's a
warehouse club close by that has some decent pricing. Picked up a full
ribeye for under $70, and got 34 nice steaks out of it, vacuumed and in
the freezer.

I still remember shopping with Mom, she'd always look for the beef that
wasn't bright red... she always maintained the older stuff was more
tender, and she was right. These days, though, people seem to want the
bright red stuff. I guess they think fresher is better.

My latest experiment is sauerkraut... A small batch is in a 1 gallon
crock right now, a mix of green and red cabbage, and some shredded
carrot. Fingers crossed!