Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Putting it by

Picked six more eggplant, several tomatoes and cukes plus a small bucket
of sweet chiles today. We have a few varieties of sweet chiles we like
and grow. Mainly Gypsy, Sweet Banana, Green Bell, Carmen (a Poblano
type), and Giant Marconi. They're producing heavy crops as are the
Ichiban eggplant.

I cleaned and chopped enough sweet chiles today to freeze six packages
of vacuum sealed chiles for later use plus we ate a couple of them at
lunch. I'm thinking of french fried eggplant, fresh crowder peas, and
some smoked pork shoulder I made earlier in the week for our dinner
tonight. Maybe have a little Blue Bell Southern Blackberry cobbler ice
cream for desert.

We also harvested two small winter squash that grew from seeds that
didn't compost. Have some nice ground sausage that I will stuff in one
of them tomorrow and bake. Waste not, want not.

Summer squash have finally slowed down. The squash borers got all the
yellow squash but one and it is now blooming. The lone zucchini is
setting new blossoms so we will probably get another giant fruit soon.

No jellies or jams to make at this time and we still have a plethora of
pickles from last year. Pantry can't hold anymore home canned stuff
either. I'm getting bored, both freezers are also full. I catch myself
looking online at larger freezers. Help! I'm a canning addict!

George
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
> No jellies or jams to make at this time and we still have a plethora of
> pickles from last year. Pantry can't hold anymore home canned stuff
> either. I'm getting bored, both freezers are also full. I catch myself
> looking online at larger freezers. Help! I'm a canning addict!

you need to scout out the food pantries for the
poor folks that will accept home-canned goodies.

or get around to the neighbors and find out if
they want something.

or get more relatives, it might be too late to
make more, but adoption is a good thing.

where do i sign up? heeheehee...

songbird
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 6/21/2014 5:38 AM, songbird wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>> No jellies or jams to make at this time and we still have a plethora of
>> pickles from last year. Pantry can't hold anymore home canned stuff
>> either. I'm getting bored, both freezers are also full. I catch myself
>> looking online at larger freezers. Help! I'm a canning addict!

> you need to scout out the food pantries for the
> poor folks that will accept home-canned goodies.

Food pantries around here, to the best of my knowledge, do not accept
home canned goods. They will accept produce but none need any at the moment.

> or get around to the neighbors and find out if
> they want something.

We're on fairly good terms with six or seven of our neighbors but most
just go to work and come home and lock the door. Least friendly place
we've ever lived in. The ones who accept goodies get goodies.

> or get more relatives, it might be too late to
> make more, but adoption is a good thing.
>
> where do i sign up? heeheehee...
>

> songbird

Let's see, the two of us have two children, five grandchildren, and six
great grandchildren, about 21 descendants if you count spousal units.
Two of the great grands hit puberty last year and another one this year,
can't tell yet if we're going to get great great's anytime soon but I
hope not.

When we lived in Louisiana we lived in a much friendlier small town and
there were lots of people who would accept gifts of grub plus at least
two food charities that took any food they could get. All surplus went
there or to our church for the quarterly soup and salad dinners we had.
I'm sure there are other folks out here that would take the extra stuff
but I don't want to advertise it because there are some really greedy
people here.

Don't worry though, it will all get used up one way or the other.

George