Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Putting it by again

We harvested enough broccoli this morning to put up six quart vacuum
bags in the freezer. There are at least three or four more quarts worth
still making heads on the plants and then we will be harvesting the side
shoots. Good eats for later in the year. Luckily we, our kids, and
grandkids love broccoli.

Cabbages aren't heading up yet but I'm thinking this may be the time to
make a few quarts of kraut once they do make good heads. Cauliflower
isn't doing much at the moment and the sugar snap peas aren't even
blooming yet.

About the time we got done in the garden it started to rain and the wind
blew pretty hard for a bit. Now it's drizzling rain but the wind has
died. We're supposed to get a cold front sometime today but I'm hoping
it will go back to Minnesota where they're used to such things.

George
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
> We harvested enough broccoli this morning to put up six quart vacuum
> bags in the freezer. There are at least three or four more quarts worth
> still making heads on the plants and then we will be harvesting the side
> shoots. Good eats for later in the year. Luckily we, our kids, and
> grandkids love broccoli.

(Sigh.) We shoveled three more inches of snow off the driveway. In 10
degree temperatures. With a wind chill.

> About the time we got done in the garden it started to rain and the wind
> blew pretty hard for a bit. Now it's drizzling rain but the wind has
> died. We're supposed to get a cold front sometime today but I'm hoping
> it will go back to Minnesota where they're used to such things.
>
> George

Have I ever told you you are a wise guy?

;-)
gloria p
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Puester wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>> We harvested enough broccoli this morning to put up six quart vacuum
>> bags in the freezer. There are at least three or four more quarts
>> worth still making heads on the plants and then we will be harvesting
>> the side shoots. Good eats for later in the year. Luckily we, our
>> kids, and grandkids love broccoli.
>>

> (Sigh.) We shoveled three more inches of snow off the driveway. In 10
> degree temperatures. With a wind chill.
>

>> About the time we got done in the garden it started to rain and the
>> wind blew pretty hard for a bit. Now it's drizzling rain but the wind
>> has died. We're supposed to get a cold front sometime today but I'm
>> hoping it will go back to Minnesota where they're used to such things.
>>
>> George

> Have I ever told you you are a wise guy?
>
> ;-)
> gloria p

Gee, I appreciate that. Barb just says I'm a wise ass.

George
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Puester" > wrote in message
> George Shirley wrote:
> > We harvested enough broccoli this morning to put up six quart vacuum
> > bags in the freezer. There are at least three or four more quarts worth
> > still making heads on the plants and then we will be harvesting the side
> > shoots. Good eats for later in the year. Luckily we, our kids, and
> > grandkids love broccoli.
> >

> (Sigh.) We shoveled three more inches of snow off the driveway. In 10
> degree temperatures. With a wind chill.
>

> > About the time we got done in the garden it started to rain and the wind
> > blew pretty hard for a bit. Now it's drizzling rain but the wind has
> > died. We're supposed to get a cold front sometime today but I'm hoping
> > it will go back to Minnesota where they're used to such things.
> >
> > George

> Have I ever told you you are a wise guy?

Hey, some consolation at least - they have _broccoli_. Now, if it was
carrots or tomatos or some other GOOD tasting veggie, then I would
be jealous.

Ted

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> "Puester" > wrote in message
>> George Shirley wrote:
>>> We harvested enough broccoli this morning to put up six quart vacuum
>>> bags in the freezer. There are at least three or four more quarts worth
>>> still making heads on the plants and then we will be harvesting the side
>>> shoots. Good eats for later in the year. Luckily we, our kids, and
>>> grandkids love broccoli.
>>>

>> (Sigh.) We shoveled three more inches of snow off the driveway. In 10
>> degree temperatures. With a wind chill.
>>
>>> About the time we got done in the garden it started to rain and the wind
>>> blew pretty hard for a bit. Now it's drizzling rain but the wind has
>>> died. We're supposed to get a cold front sometime today but I'm hoping
>>> it will go back to Minnesota where they're used to such things.
>>>
>>> George

>> Have I ever told you you are a wise guy?

> Hey, some consolation at least - they have _broccoli_. Now, if it was
> carrots or tomatos or some other GOOD tasting veggie, then I would
> be jealous.
>
> Ted

Unfortunately the carrots aren't ready to harvest yet. Nowadays we only
plant a small row just for munching as the kids, grands, and great
grands don't like them cooked. Tomatoes disappear on us in August due to
the heat. With just the two of us and a small dog we don't plant as much
variety as we did when the kids were still living here and that was over
twenty years ago.

George