Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Putting it by

Yesterday I harvested a large bucket of Swiss chard, washed, then
blanched, froze in two-person servings on a bun sheet, then vacuum
bagged it this morning. Ended up with four packages, good eats for a
little later.

I also harvested the last of the BEETS and carrots yesterday. I've got
the liquid slow simmering at the moment and then the mixture of BEETS,
onion, and elephant garlic will go in to simmer for a bit. After that it
is the jar, most likely be about five or six pints of loverly pickled BEETS.

If I feel up to it I am going to put up several jars of dilly carrots
today also. The great grands just love those and pickled green beans.

Yesterday we worked in our garden off and on for the whole day. We
planted four more tomato plants, two Ichiban eggplant, a dozen straight
neck yellow squash plants, about a dozen Armenian cucumber seeds on one
side of the garden and about the same amount of burpless cukes on the
other side. Also a row and a half of Bush Blue Lake green beans for
canning, freezing, and pickling. Will plant some other stuff later just
to fill in the empty places.

The two plums, the peach, the quince, and the Japanese persimmon have
set fruit and the fig tree is starting to put out some fruit also. This
may be a good year if we can beat off the birds, squirrels, and other
assorted vermin.

Our new lawn man is working out well, comes every two weeks to mow and
edge and is available on a moments notice for other work (he lives two
doors down on the other side of the street). A couple of days ago he
took out a holly bush at the corner of the house that has been the bane
of my life for twenty years, now it has gone to the tree eater the city
uses. Other trash trees are slated to come out in coming days,
magnolias, a crape myrtle that has consumed the front door along with
some old roses by the front walk that will be transplanted so they don't
snag us as we walk by. Lots of work to do to get this old place in shape
to be sold.

Miz Anne is mostly walking with a cane now and has the doctors
authorization to drive as long as she doesn't need her left leg to do
it. She never fails to amaze me with her determination to get her full
life back, hip replacement or not.

George
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 11:39:37 -0500, George Shirley
> wrote:

>Yesterday I harvested a large bucket of Swiss chard, washed, then
>blanched, froze in two-person servings on a bun sheet, then vacuum
>bagged it this morning. Ended up with four packages, good eats for a
>little later.
>
>I also harvested the last of the BEETS and carrots yesterday. I've got
>the liquid slow simmering at the moment and then the mixture of BEETS,
>onion, and elephant garlic will go in to simmer for a bit. After that it
>is the jar, most likely be about five or six pints of loverly pickled BEETS.
>
>If I feel up to it I am going to put up several jars of dilly carrots
>today also. The great grands just love those and pickled green beans.
>
>Yesterday we worked in our garden off and on for the whole day. We
>planted four more tomato plants, two Ichiban eggplant, a dozen straight
>neck yellow squash plants, about a dozen Armenian cucumber seeds on one
>side of the garden and about the same amount of burpless cukes on the
>other side. Also a row and a half of Bush Blue Lake green beans for
>canning, freezing, and pickling. Will plant some other stuff later just
>to fill in the empty places.
>
>The two plums, the peach, the quince, and the Japanese persimmon have
>set fruit and the fig tree is starting to put out some fruit also. This
>may be a good year if we can beat off the birds, squirrels, and other
>assorted vermin.
>
>Our new lawn man is working out well, comes every two weeks to mow and
>edge and is available on a moments notice for other work (he lives two
>doors down on the other side of the street). A couple of days ago he
>took out a holly bush at the corner of the house that has been the bane
>of my life for twenty years, now it has gone to the tree eater the city
>uses. Other trash trees are slated to come out in coming days,
>magnolias, a crape myrtle that has consumed the front door along with
>some old roses by the front walk that will be transplanted so they don't
>snag us as we walk by. Lots of work to do to get this old place in shape
>to be sold.
>
>Miz Anne is mostly walking with a cane now and has the doctors
>authorization to drive as long as she doesn't need her left leg to do
>it. She never fails to amaze me with her determination to get her full
>life back, hip replacement or not.
>
>George

There you go again George, rubbing it in on gardening. Temperature
here this morning running right around 0șC with light snow.
On hips, congratulations to Miz Anne on her progress.
Gerry's right hip has been bothering quite a bit lately so she went to
the doctor earlier in the week. It's been 14 years since it was
replaced and after X-rays he told her it was time for some
maintenance. Left hip still seems fine and it was replaced just 6
months after the right. He also said there'd be no gardening for her
this summer if she decided to have the tuneup done now so she's trying
to decide if she'll live with the hurt and put it off 'till fall,
after the garden is done. Quilting is her other passion so that way
she could garden this summer and spend more time quilting during
recovery.
I can't keep up with her, but then again, she's just a youngster, only
turns 70 next week.
OB preserving: Opened a jar from a different lot of dilly beans
yesterday, that Pickle Crisp sure works well and it's so easy to use.
When I first found it late last season I bought two jars to make sure
I wouldn't run out. Hardly made a dent in the first jar. At the rate
it's used, I'll be gone before it is.
Just looked out the window and the snow is not so light anymore, and
it's travelling almost horizontally with the wind at ~ 60 km/h.

Ross.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 4/17/2011 10:12 AM, Ross@home wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 11:39:37 -0500, George Shirley
> > wrote:
>
>> Yesterday I harvested a large bucket of Swiss chard, washed, then
>> blanched, froze in two-person servings on a bun sheet, then vacuum
>> bagged it this morning. Ended up with four packages, good eats for a
>> little later.
>>
>> I also harvested the last of the BEETS and carrots yesterday. I've got
>> the liquid slow simmering at the moment and then the mixture of BEETS,
>> onion, and elephant garlic will go in to simmer for a bit. After that it
>> is the jar, most likely be about five or six pints of loverly pickled BEETS.
>>
>> If I feel up to it I am going to put up several jars of dilly carrots
>> today also. The great grands just love those and pickled green beans.
>>
>> Yesterday we worked in our garden off and on for the whole day. We
>> planted four more tomato plants, two Ichiban eggplant, a dozen straight
>> neck yellow squash plants, about a dozen Armenian cucumber seeds on one
>> side of the garden and about the same amount of burpless cukes on the
>> other side. Also a row and a half of Bush Blue Lake green beans for
>> canning, freezing, and pickling. Will plant some other stuff later just
>> to fill in the empty places.
>>
>> The two plums, the peach, the quince, and the Japanese persimmon have
>> set fruit and the fig tree is starting to put out some fruit also. This
>> may be a good year if we can beat off the birds, squirrels, and other
>> assorted vermin.
>>
>> Our new lawn man is working out well, comes every two weeks to mow and
>> edge and is available on a moments notice for other work (he lives two
>> doors down on the other side of the street). A couple of days ago he
>> took out a holly bush at the corner of the house that has been the bane
>> of my life for twenty years, now it has gone to the tree eater the city
>> uses. Other trash trees are slated to come out in coming days,
>> magnolias, a crape myrtle that has consumed the front door along with
>> some old roses by the front walk that will be transplanted so they don't
>> snag us as we walk by. Lots of work to do to get this old place in shape
>> to be sold.
>>
>> Miz Anne is mostly walking with a cane now and has the doctors
>> authorization to drive as long as she doesn't need her left leg to do
>> it. She never fails to amaze me with her determination to get her full
>> life back, hip replacement or not.
>>
>> George

> There you go again George, rubbing it in on gardening. Temperature
> here this morning running right around 0șC with light snow.

Got cold here last night too, down to about 65F, had to get up and put
the thermal blanket back on the bed.

> On hips, congratulations to Miz Anne on her progress.
> Gerry's right hip has been bothering quite a bit lately so she went to
> the doctor earlier in the week. It's been 14 years since it was
> replaced and after X-rays he told her it was time for some
> maintenance. Left hip still seems fine and it was replaced just 6
> months after the right. He also said there'd be no gardening for her
> this summer if she decided to have the tuneup done now so she's trying
> to decide if she'll live with the hurt and put it off 'till fall,
> after the garden is done. Quilting is her other passion so that way
> she could garden this summer and spend more time quilting during
> recovery.

How do they tune up a hip replacement? Put in grease fittings or something?

> I can't keep up with her, but then again, she's just a youngster, only
> turns 70 next week.

Miz Anne will be 71 come May 20, 2011 and I get to be 72 in September.
When I was young I didn't think I would live to be this old so spent my
money on foolish things like housing, groceries, and college for the
kids. Go figure.

> OB preserving: Opened a jar from a different lot of dilly beans
> yesterday, that Pickle Crisp sure works well and it's so easy to use.
> When I first found it late last season I bought two jars to make sure
> I wouldn't run out. Hardly made a dent in the first jar. At the rate
> it's used, I'll be gone before it is.

I have a brand new unopened jar I bought last year. Used the last of a
box from a few years ago yesterday on the beets and still have another
box with three packets in it to go before I hit the jar. I really like
the Pickle Crisp, have to wait at least three weeks before opening a
fresh jar of pickles but it is worth it. I don't have to mess with
household lime, soaking, waiting, rinsing three times, etc. anymore.
Simply put some PC in the jar and get on with it.
> Just looked out the window and the snow is not so light anymore, and
> it's travelling almost horizontally with the wind at ~ 60 km/h.
>
> Ross.

Wow! I'm glad you live there and not me. I hate snow and cold with a
passion. My favorite temperature is about 80F with about 50% humidity.
When we lived in the desert in the Middle East we got used to temps up
to 50C but the humidity was about 2%, even on the coast of the Red Sea.
Was amazing to be snorkeling in the Red Sea, stand up to wade ashore and
your tee shirt and swim trunks would be dry by the time you hit the
beach. I was out in it so much my old hide looked like tanned cowhide,
now I'm just a pale brown.