Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Automatic jam maker

I know I am feeling stressed today, but I was annoyed when I saw this
email from Ball:

http://tinyurl.com/cmch2eu (ad for an automatic jam maker)

"Make jam and jelly with no more standing over a hot stove."

I understand that they are trying to entice more people into trying
jam making, but my immediate response was "Just go buy a jar at the
store and do away with ALL the bother of the process."

It feels like a rebuke to all of us who enjoy the process and are aware
of and willing to put in the time and energy.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.preserving

gloria p wrote:
> I understand that they are trying to entice more people into trying
> jam making, but my immediate response was "Just go buy a jar at the
> store and do away with ALL the bother of the process."

Not that I have ever used it, but my English bread machine has a jam/jelly
setting. You put fruit, etc into the baking pan, set it for jam and when it
is done put in jars. Of course it does not sterilze them, so they have
to be refrigerated, but it's a simple way of making jam without having
to have a large stove, and so on.

> It feels like a rebuke to all of us who enjoy the process and are aware
> of and willing to put in the time and energy.

Don't take it that way. Think of it expanding the availabilty of home made
preserves to people who don't have the skill, or the time, or the money
to "do it right".

In our previous apartment (15 years there) our stove simply did not produce
enough heat to use a pressure cooker let alone a canner, or even a large
BWB pot. I could only do small jars, in small quantities.

Everyone has to start somewhere, and just think of where you would be
if whomever taught you had that attitude.

Geoff.

"Owning a smartphone: Technology's equivalent to learning to play
chopsticks on the piano as a child and thinking you're a musician."
(sent to me by a friend)

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 11/6/2012 1:49 PM, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> gloria p wrote:

>> It feels like a rebuke to all of us who enjoy the process and are aware
>> of and willing to put in the time and energy.

> Don't take it that way. Think of it expanding the availabilty of home made
> preserves to people who don't have the skill, or the time, or the money
> to "do it right".
>
> In our previous apartment (15 years there) our stove simply did not produce
> enough heat to use a pressure cooker let alone a canner, or even a large
> BWB pot. I could only do small jars, in small quantities.
>
> Everyone has to start somewhere, and just think of where you would be
> if whomever taught you had that attitude.
>
> Geoff.

Thanks for that, it has helped me put it in perspective.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.preserving

gloria p wrote:
> Thanks for that, it has helped me put it in perspective.

i was also thinking of those people who are
disabled enough that they cannot do some of the
tasks involved.

and then, another aspect is considering that
a lot of flavors/smells are involved in some of
the things that evaporate off the top of a boiling
pot that might be reserved and contained in a
more enclosed and automatic type of setup.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
gloria p > wrote:

> I know I am feeling stressed today, but I was annoyed when I saw this
> email from Ball:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/cmch2eu (ad for an automatic jam maker)
>
> "Make jam and jelly with no more standing over a hot stove."
>
> I understand that they are trying to entice more people into trying
> jam making, but my immediate response was "Just go buy a jar at the
> store and do away with ALL the bother of the process."
>
> It feels like a rebuke to all of us who enjoy the process and are aware
> of and willing to put in the time and energy.
>
> gloria p

I think the $100 price tag is ridiculous for a one-trick pony. And you
must use the recipes they have devised for the unit. They have more
than when it first came out, but still, I think $100 is nuts.
--
Barb,
http://www.barbschaller.com, as of August 20, 2012

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
gloria p > wrote:

> I know I am feeling stressed today, but I was annoyed when I saw this
> email from Ball:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/cmch2eu (ad for an automatic jam maker)
>
> "Make jam and jelly with no more standing over a hot stove."
>
> I understand that they are trying to entice more people into trying
> jam making, but my immediate response was "Just go buy a jar at the
> store and do away with ALL the bother of the process."
>
> It feels like a rebuke to all of us who enjoy the process and are aware
> of and willing to put in the time and energy.
>
> gloria p

Marketing at its finest: create a need and fill it.
--
Barb,
http://www.barbschaller.com, as of August 20, 2012
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 11/12/2012 09:17 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> gloria p > wrote:
>
>> I know I am feeling stressed today, but I was annoyed when I saw this
>> email from Ball:
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/cmch2eu (ad for an automatic jam maker)
>>
>> "Make jam and jelly with no more standing over a hot stove."
>>
>> I understand that they are trying to entice more people into trying
>> jam making, but my immediate response was "Just go buy a jar at the
>> store and do away with ALL the bother of the process."
>>
>> It feels like a rebuke to all of us who enjoy the process and are aware
>> of and willing to put in the time and energy.
>>
>> gloria p

> I think the $100 price tag is ridiculous for a one-trick pony. And you
> must use the recipes they have devised for the unit. They have more
> than when it first came out, but still, I think $100 is nuts.

I have an automatic jam maker. Her name is Debbie.
But she costs WAY more than $100.00
;-)

Sourdough with an automatic bread maker? Donald[_4_] Sourdough 30 26-10-2019 09:57 PM
Automatic Jam Maker by Ball dsi1[_18_] General Cooking 0 20-05-2013 10:51 PM
New Automatic Tea Maker ja Tea 40 18-10-2005 02:38 PM
help need blades for automatic bread maker john hawkins Baking 3 13-02-2005 09:19 PM
Automatic Chemex coffee maker? jknewsgroup Coffee 2 25-04-2004 05:00 PM