ja

Default New Automatic Tea Maker

Just saw a new Sunbeam "Tea Drop" automatic (not iced) tea maker in a dept.
store. Anyone have any experience/knowledge of same?

Falky foo

what fun is that yo

"ja" > wrote in message
> Just saw a new Sunbeam "Tea Drop" automatic (not iced) tea maker in a

dept.
> store. Anyone have any experience/knowledge of same?

Howard

For people who can't boil water.

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 23:44:40 GMT, "Falky foo"
> wrote:

>what fun is that yo
>

>"ja" > wrote in message
.. .
>> Just saw a new Sunbeam "Tea Drop" automatic (not iced) tea maker in a

>dept.
>> store. Anyone have any experience/knowledge of same?

ja

And how do you boil water - by rubbing two twigs together for fire?

For the simpletons out there, the idea behind automatic tea makers is so the
person making the tea does not have to stand by and babysit with a
stopwatch.

"Howard" > wrote in message
> For people who can't boil water.
>
> On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 23:44:40 GMT, "Falky foo"
> > wrote:
>
>>what fun is that yo
>>

>>"ja" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> Just saw a new Sunbeam "Tea Drop" automatic (not iced) tea maker in a

>>dept.
>>> store. Anyone have any experience/knowledge of same?

Michael Plant

/12/05

> And how do you boil water - by rubbing two twigs together for fire?
>
> For the simpletons out there, the idea behind automatic tea makers is so the
> person making the tea does not have to stand by and babysit with a
> stopwatch.

Howard,

There are many options between rubbing sticks together and an automatic tea
maker. I refer you Rikyu and Luk Yu. Seriously, there are many ways to make
the tea experience viable for virtually any lifestyle without resorting to a
machine that takes all the pleasure out of the experience -- that last being
true for me and some others, but not everybody.

BTW, I'm not the brightest light on the tree, but I like to think on
occasion that I'm somewhat more than a simpleton, although as a simpleton, I
suspect I'd be much improved.

Michael

Scott Dorsey

ja > wrote:
>Just saw a new Sunbeam "Tea Drop" automatic (not iced) tea maker in a dept.
>store. Anyone have any experience/knowledge of same?

Let me guess, you put the teabag into the cup, then you put the cup into
the tea maker and pour hot water into the top of the tea maker? Then wait
a few minutes and take the bag out?
--scott
Scott Dorsey

In article >,
ja > wrote:
>And how do you boil water - by rubbing two twigs together for fire?
>
>For the simpletons out there, the idea behind automatic tea makers is so the
>person making the tea does not have to stand by and babysit with a
>stopwatch.

It's the new Mr. Tea machine. I pity the fool, I say I pity the fool.
--scott

toci

It accomodates either loose tea or tea bags. It costs $30. It's
attractive in a glass, streamlined way. It serves as both a tea kettle
and a teapot. I wouldn't buy it, but then, there are several teas I
wouldn't buy either. Why is everybody being so rude? Toci
Scott Dorsey wrote:
> ja > wrote:
> >Just saw a new Sunbeam "Tea Drop" automatic (not iced) tea maker in a dept.
> >store. Anyone have any experience/knowledge of same?

> Let me guess, you put the teabag into the cup, then you put the cup into
> the tea maker and pour hot water into the top of the tea maker? Then wait
> a few minutes and take the bag out?
> --scott

ja

"Michael Plant" > wrote in message
> /12/05
>
>> And how do you boil water - by rubbing two twigs together for fire?
>>
>> For the simpletons out there, the idea behind automatic tea makers is so
>> the
>> person making the tea does not have to stand by and babysit with a
>> stopwatch.

> Howard,
>
> There are many options between rubbing sticks together and an automatic
> tea
> maker. I refer you Rikyu and Luk Yu. Seriously, there are many ways to
> make
> the tea experience viable for virtually any lifestyle without resorting to
> machine that takes all the pleasure out of the experience -- that last
> being
> true for me and some others, but not everybody.
>
> BTW, I'm not the brightest light on the tree, but I like to think on
> occasion that I'm somewhat more than a simpleton, although as a simpleton,
> suspect I'd be much improved.
>
> Michael

Firstly, I am not Howard. Second, why is an automatic tea maker so
controversial?? Again, the main issue is so that people do not have to stand
there with a timer.

For people like me, that drink tea all the time, that is a blessing. Such as
in the morning when there is no time to stand around.

I guess you feel that coffee makers ruin the coffee brewing "experience."

ja

"Scott Dorsey" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> ja > wrote:
>>And how do you boil water - by rubbing two twigs together for fire?
>>
>>For the simpletons out there, the idea behind automatic tea makers is so
>>the
>>person making the tea does not have to stand by and babysit with a
>>stopwatch.

> It's the new Mr. Tea machine. I pity the fool, I say I pity the fool.
> --scott."

No, it is not that product, but that also sounds interesting!

Steve Hay

ja wrote:
> For people like me, that drink tea all the time, that is a blessing.

Such as
> in the morning when there is no time to stand around.
>
> I guess you feel that coffee makers ruin the coffee brewing "experience."

I am in a similar situation many times and I also feel that pure
automation ruins some of the finer aspects of creating a good cup of
tea. There is something of joy in doing it yourself; however, I would
agree that there are both (1) times when I just don't have time for it
and (2) times when I would prefer to simplify the process to a degree.

This makes me wonder if there isn't a market for a kettle/teapot that
tries to maximize the amount of control one has over the brewing
process. I could see one that allowed control of all of the brewing
parameters in an integrated unit might be something someone would really
enjoy.

Not to say that such a device would be for everyone or obviate the
manual brewing process. There is still something satisfying by doing it
all yourself. However, for people intersted in DOE/ANOVA separation of
variables and testing grids for optimizing parameters (I've heard some
folks speak of conducting such studies, either informally or more
specifically) such a machine might reduce variability.

steve
crymad

ja wrote:
> Firstly, I am not Howard. Second, why is an automatic tea maker
> so controversial?? Again, the main issue is so that people do
> not have to stand there with a timer.

No, the main issue is that this contraption most certainly dumps
212 degree boiling water on whatever tea happens to sit in its
brewing reservoir. This is far to hot for most teas. Secondly,
though Sunbeam claims it can brew up to 28 oz., the brewing
reservoir in no way can contain this much water, which means
the tea is crowded in a cramped little stewing cup. This is not
the way to good tea.

> For people like me, that drink tea all the time, that is a
> blessing. Such as in the morning when there is no time to stand
> around.

Cleaning this "tea making solution" is undoubtedly a chore, much
more so than a simple ceramic tea pot that needs only a quick
rinse and dump. Factor this in, and the Sunbeam Tea Drop is more
a burden than a convenience. Why not just get up 5 minutes
earlier? That should be ample time to make a simple cup of tea
the real way.

--crymad

ja

> ja wrote:
>> Firstly, I am not Howard. Second, why is an automatic tea maker
>> so controversial?? Again, the main issue is so that people do
>> not have to stand there with a timer.

> No, the main issue is that this contraption most certainly dumps
> 212 degree boiling water on whatever tea happens to sit in its
> brewing reservoir. This is far to hot for most teas. Secondly,
> though Sunbeam claims it can brew up to 28 oz., the brewing
> reservoir in no way can contain this much water, which means
> the tea is crowded in a cramped little stewing cup. This is not
> the way to good tea.
>
>> For people like me, that drink tea all the time, that is a
>> blessing. Such as in the morning when there is no time to stand
>> around.

> Cleaning this "tea making solution" is undoubtedly a chore, much
> more so than a simple ceramic tea pot that needs only a quick
> rinse and dump. Factor this in, and the Sunbeam Tea Drop is more
> a burden than a convenience. Why not just get up 5 minutes
> earlier? That should be ample time to make a simple cup of tea
> the real way.
>
> --crymad

Jeeeez - why is everyone so simple minded?? The points you bring up are
exactly why I asked the question in the first place - isn't that blatantly
obvious?

I am not endorsing the product, just asking about it. Such a product that
would have variable time and temp. controls would be perfect. I don't know
if this one does or does not.

As for your "just get up 5 minutes earlier" statement, that also was covered
before in my "rubbing two twigs for fire" reply.

Aloke Prasad

Judging by the posts, this crowd will totally unreceptive to a tea kettle
remotely controlled by your cell phone :-)

http://www.phonemag.com/index.php/we...nabled_kettle/

UK based PG Tips and cellular provider Orange team up to offer the World's
first SMS enabled kettle (The ReadyWhenUR), that allows you to control the
brewing of tea based on your SMS messages sent to the kettle, from anywhere,
anytime.
--
Aloke
----

"ja" > wrote in message
> Just saw a new Sunbeam "Tea Drop" automatic (not iced) tea maker in a
> dept. store. Anyone have any experience/knowledge of same?

Falky foo

I guess it all depends on how you look at tea: if one drinks it when one
"doesn't have time" to actually sit and enjoy it, then one is using it as
caffeine-fuel like so many of the bourgeoisie use coffee, and that type of
person may benefit from an automatic coffee maker.

However, if you're using tea for relaxation and meditation and health and
spirituality, then you wouldn't think of using an automatic machine to make
it, since making it by hand is part of the experience.

"ja" > wrote in message

> > ja wrote:
> >> Firstly, I am not Howard. Second, why is an automatic tea maker
> >> so controversial?? Again, the main issue is so that people do
> >> not have to stand there with a timer.

> > No, the main issue is that this contraption most certainly dumps
> > 212 degree boiling water on whatever tea happens to sit in its
> > brewing reservoir. This is far to hot for most teas. Secondly,
> > though Sunbeam claims it can brew up to 28 oz., the brewing
> > reservoir in no way can contain this much water, which means
> > the tea is crowded in a cramped little stewing cup. This is not
> > the way to good tea.
> >
> >> For people like me, that drink tea all the time, that is a
> >> blessing. Such as in the morning when there is no time to stand
> >> around.

> > Cleaning this "tea making solution" is undoubtedly a chore, much
> > more so than a simple ceramic tea pot that needs only a quick
> > rinse and dump. Factor this in, and the Sunbeam Tea Drop is more
> > a burden than a convenience. Why not just get up 5 minutes
> > earlier? That should be ample time to make a simple cup of tea
> > the real way.
> >
> > --crymad

> Jeeeez - why is everyone so simple minded?? The points you bring up are
> exactly why I asked the question in the first place - isn't that blatantly
> obvious?
>
> I am not endorsing the product, just asking about it. Such a product that
> would have variable time and temp. controls would be perfect. I don't know
> if this one does or does not.
>
> As for your "just get up 5 minutes earlier" statement, that also was

covered
> before in my "rubbing two twigs for fire" reply.

Steve Hay

Falky foo wrote:
> I guess it all depends on how you look at tea: if one drinks it when one
> "doesn't have time" to actually sit and enjoy it, then one is using it as
> caffeine-fuel like so many of the bourgeoisie use coffee, and that type of
> person may benefit from an automatic coffee maker.
>
> However, if you're using tea for relaxation and meditation and health and
> spirituality, then you wouldn't think of using an automatic machine to make
> it, since making it by hand is part of the experience.

I think this kind of a statement is a false dichotomy.
toci

The first cup is for fuel, the second cup is for relaxation, the third
cup is for meditation, the fourth cup is for health, the fifth cup is
for spirituality.... Toci
Steve Hay wrote:
> Falky foo wrote:
> > I guess it all depends on how you look at tea: if one drinks it when one
> > "doesn't have time" to actually sit and enjoy it, then one is using it as
> > caffeine-fuel like so many of the bourgeoisie use coffee, and that type of
> > person may benefit from an automatic coffee maker.
> >
> > However, if you're using tea for relaxation and meditation and health and
> > spirituality, then you wouldn't think of using an automatic machine to make
> > it, since making it by hand is part of the experience.

> I think this kind of a statement is a false dichotomy.

Lewis Perin

"toci" > writes:

> The first cup is for fuel, the second cup is for relaxation, the
> third cup is for meditation, the fourth cup is for health, the fifth
> cup is for spirituality....

But who's counting?

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /

Falky foo

please elaborate

"Steve Hay" > wrote in message
> Falky foo wrote:
> > I guess it all depends on how you look at tea: if one drinks it when one
> > "doesn't have time" to actually sit and enjoy it, then one is using it

as
> > caffeine-fuel like so many of the bourgeoisie use coffee, and that type

of
> > person may benefit from an automatic coffee maker.
> >
> > However, if you're using tea for relaxation and meditation and health

and
> > spirituality, then you wouldn't think of using an automatic machine to

make
> > it, since making it by hand is part of the experience.

> I think this kind of a statement is a false dichotomy.

Scott Dorsey

Aloke Prasad > wrote:
>Judging by the posts, this crowd will totally unreceptive to a tea kettle
>remotely controlled by your cell phone :-)
>
>http://www.phonemag.com/index.php/we...nabled_kettle/
>
> UK based PG Tips and cellular provider Orange team up to offer the World's
>first SMS enabled kettle (The ReadyWhenUR), that allows you to control the
>brewing of tea based on your SMS messages sent to the kettle, from anywhere,
>anytime.

I sure hope it's immune to SMS spam.... I would not like to explain to
guests that the reason the tea is so poor today is because of spam.
--scott

Scott Dorsey

Steve Hay > wrote:
>Falky foo wrote:
>> I guess it all depends on how you look at tea: if one drinks it when one
>> "doesn't have time" to actually sit and enjoy it, then one is using it as
>> caffeine-fuel like so many of the bourgeoisie use coffee, and that type of
>> person may benefit from an automatic coffee maker.
>>
>> However, if you're using tea for relaxation and meditation and health and
>> spirituality, then you wouldn't think of using an automatic machine to make
>> it, since making it by hand is part of the experience.

>I think this kind of a statement is a false dichotomy.

I agree, and I think part of the beauty of tea is that it _is_ so rapid
to make and easy to consume. I can't see a machine making it particularly
easier since there isn't much to make easier.
--scott
Derek

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 05:20:13 GMT, Falky foo wrote:

> "Steve Hay" > wrote in message
>
>> Falky foo wrote:
>>
>>> I guess it all depends on how you look at tea: if one drinks it
>>> when one "doesn't have time" to actually sit and enjoy it, then
>>> one is using it as caffeine-fuel like so many of the bourgeoisie
>>> use coffee, and that type of person may benefit from an automatic
>>> coffee maker.
>>>
>>> However, if you're using tea for relaxation and meditation and
>>> health and spirituality, then you wouldn't think of using an
>>> automatic machine to make it, since making it by hand is part
>>> of the experience.

>> I think this kind of a statement is a false dichotomy.

> please elaborate

I'm not Steve, but I share his sentiment. So I'll elaborate anyway.

It's a false dichotomy because it proposes that it is an "either/or"
situation. Either one drinks tea for caffeine or one drinks it to
relax, etc. In fact, one can do both at the same time.

In mid-afternoon, I typically "refuel" with a cup of tea. But I do so
by taking a break from work for a few minutes to enjoy the cup. It has
the dual benefit of a caffeine boost and a short distraction to
refresh the mind.

--
Derek

"Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get
tired." -- Jules Renard
Derek

Default rudeness/TPHK [was: something else]

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 17:09:16 GMT, Michael Plant wrote:

> 10/13/05
>

>> It accomodates either loose tea or tea bags. It costs $30. It's
>> attractive in a glass, streamlined way. It serves as both a tea kettle
>> and a teapot. I wouldn't buy it, but then, there are several teas I
>> wouldn't buy either. Why is everybody being so rude? Toci

> That is a really good question. I belong to literary groups, professional
> groups, teacher groups, groups specific to the pets I own, and tea groups.
> Only, solely, and uniquely on the tea groups do fights break out and does
> rudeness hold sway. All the others are civil without anybody ever talking
> about civility as an issue. Why does tea bring out the worst in us as so it
> seems to do sometimes?

You ought to try the science fiction groups some time. They're always
good for incivility.

As for the rudeness mentioned by Toci, I have seen similar in other
situations. It typically has to do with snobbery or arrogance. Some
tend to think that any way but their way is an affront. I've seen this
behavior in relation to wine, cars, and music. Oh, and Apple
computers.

Point being, it ain't just us tea drinkers who have a history of bein'
a wee bit cranky.

--
Derek

"Sometimes being a friend means mastering the art of timing. There is
a time for silence. A time to let go... And a time to prepare to pick
up the pieces when it's all over." -- Gloria Naylor

Nico

I agree with you, Scott. I think making tea with a gaiwan is pretty
straight forward, once you get the hang of it, although it depends of
how sensitive your tea is to water temperature. I usually drink raw
puer, which I can easily brew at work, though it does take a minute.

I tend to believe that any tea that is worth drinking is worth taking a
minute for, though that is definitely my own sensibility. I am also
very averse to hectic environments, so I'm happy to take the time.

Nevertheless I think a gaiwan is convenient enough, provided you have a
little space. Also, this 'Tea one' or whatever it's called also works
very well (I'm too lazy to find a link).

Nico

Scott Dorsey wrote:
> Steve Hay > wrote:
> >Falky foo wrote:
> >> I guess it all depends on how you look at tea: if one drinks it when one
> >> "doesn't have time" to actually sit and enjoy it, then one is using it as
> >> caffeine-fuel like so many of the bourgeoisie use coffee, and that type of
> >> person may benefit from an automatic coffee maker.
> >>
> >> However, if you're using tea for relaxation and meditation and health and
> >> spirituality, then you wouldn't think of using an automatic machine to make
> >> it, since making it by hand is part of the experience.

> >I think this kind of a statement is a false dichotomy.

> I agree, and I think part of the beauty of tea is that it _is_ so rapid
> to make and easy to consume. I can't see a machine making it particularly
> easier since there isn't much to make easier.
> --scott

dear Scott,

as i was not brewing tea
at the mercenary / manley party,
i ran into s. rosenthal
of the magic shop.

he is the tea drinker
who sent me to the
plating & pressing plant
on west 54th st.

he is trying to remember
the name of the company for you.

more info later
about that building .

i am trying to locate a 1978
yellow pages.

you must
have a scout - master
rub 2 cub scouts together
until they ignite.

Lewis Perin

"Nico" > writes:

> I agree with you, Scott. I think making tea with a gaiwan is pretty
> straight forward, once you get the hang of it, although it depends of
> how sensitive your tea is to water temperature.

I'm not sure what temperature has to do with the suitability of a
gaiwan, unless you're drinking from the gaiwan with the leaves still
steeping.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Melinda

"Derek" > wrote in message ...

snip

> Point being, it ain't just us tea drinkers who have a history of bein'
> a wee bit cranky.
>
> --
> Derek

Actually, the tea lists are the most polite and respectful lists I'm on. I
still think it's stunning that we get so little spam in here (of the "cheap
pills and no prescription required act now" variety).

Melinda

Melinda

"Aloke Prasad" > wrote in message
news
> Judging by the posts, this crowd will totally unreceptive to a tea kettle
> remotely controlled by your cell phone :-)
>
> http://www.phonemag.com/index.php/we...nabled_kettle/
>
> UK based PG Tips and cellular provider Orange team up to offer the World's
> first SMS enabled kettle (The ReadyWhenUR), that allows you to control the
> brewing of tea based on your SMS messages sent to the kettle, from
> anywhere, anytime.
> --
> Aloke

I want a kettle with a GPS in it, that way I will always know where I am
when brewing tea...

Melinda

Michael Plant

Aloke m10/14/05

> Judging by the posts, this crowd will totally unreceptive to a tea kettle
> remotely controlled by your cell phone :-)

Speak for yourself, fellow. I have solved the problem, and I am TOTALLY
receptive. It will give me good cause to on occasion turn my cell phone on.

> http://www.phonemag.com/index.php/we...ds_first_sms_e
> nabled_kettle/
>
> UK based PG Tips and cellular provider Orange team up to offer the World's
> first SMS enabled kettle (The ReadyWhenUR), that allows you to control the
> brewing of tea based on your SMS messages sent to the kettle, from anywhere,
> anytime.

Ah, yes. And you never have to actually touch the kettle, the pot, or the
tea itself. Why, soon you won't even have to *drink* the tea; there will be
capsule full of green tea powder. What a future! (Could it be here now?)

Seriously, thanks for the warning, Aloke.

Michael

Michael Plant

Steve HayE0Z3f.180$oy3.93@trnddc0410/14/05

> Falky foo wrote:
>> I guess it all depends on how you look at tea: if one drinks it when one
>> "doesn't have time" to actually sit and enjoy it, then one is using it as
>> caffeine-fuel like so many of the bourgeoisie use coffee, and that type of
>> person may benefit from an automatic coffee maker.
>>
>> However, if you're using tea for relaxation and meditation and health and
>> spirituality, then you wouldn't think of using an automatic machine to make
>> it, since making it by hand is part of the experience.

> I think this kind of a statement is a false dichotomy.

Yeah! You tell 'em, Steve.
Michael

Space Cowboy

Don't ask me for a title or list of actors but I saw this movie over
the weekend on a premium channel about two guys who spend a week
sampling the vineyards of California where one wants a fling before
getting married the next weekend and the other finds out his ex is
getting remarried. If you didn't know anything about what it takes to
be a wine snob you would at the end of this movie. I could see some of
my own mania about tea through the character experiences with wine as
both sexes tried to impress each other with their knowledge. In the
end it was nothing more than an excuse to end up in the sack. In my
experience tea drinking never had any social consequences. My wife and
I dated for several years but she never started drinking tea till
marriage. I occasionally put on a show for relatives. Besides this
group I've never had the opportunity just too chit chat and share tea
experiences besides with the local tea shoppe owner on a limited basis.
I'm a tea hermit and not a social wine sommelier. One of the
characters ends up drinking his favorite 61 Pinot out of a paper bag in
a burger joint. I just might attend the next after hours tea tastings
at the local shoppe. The boba palace up the road where the asian kids
hung out closed.

Jim

Michael Plant wrote:
> /17/05
>
> > On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 10:09:21 GMT, Michael Plant wrote:
> >
> >> 10/14/05

> >> ...the sixth cup is for writing reams of useless prose, the seventh is for
> >> knock down drag out fights over the "content" of said prose. Sorry, I'm
> >> oudda here!
> >>
> >> Michael

> > Would that mean that the eighth cup is for helping to swallow
> > oversized analgesics and anti-inflammatories?

> Yup.
>
> The ninth cup is for lying about how many steeps you can get, and how
> inexpensive the tea really is if you'd just do the math.
>
> Michael

Scott Dorsey

Space Cowboy > wrote:
>Don't ask me for a title or list of actors but I saw this movie over
>the weekend on a premium channel about two guys who spend a week
>sampling the vineyards of California where one wants a fling before
>getting married the next weekend and the other finds out his ex is
>getting remarried. If you didn't know anything about what it takes to
>be a wine snob you would at the end of this movie.

The film is called Sideways. It was directed by Alexander Payne and
released in 2004. It ran through the art house circuit around here
about six months back and got good audiences.
--scott

toci

It's here now. So are caffeine tablets. Toci
Michael Plant wrote:
> Aloke m10/14/05
>

> > Judging by the posts, this crowd will totally unreceptive to a tea kettle
> > remotely controlled by your cell phone :-)

> Speak for yourself, fellow. I have solved the problem, and I am TOTALLY
> receptive. It will give me good cause to on occasion turn my cell phone on.
> >
> > http://www.phonemag.com/index.php/we...ds_first_sms_e
> > nabled_kettle/
> >
> > UK based PG Tips and cellular provider Orange team up to offer the World's
> > first SMS enabled kettle (The ReadyWhenUR), that allows you to control the
> > brewing of tea based on your SMS messages sent to the kettle, from anywhere,
> > anytime.

> Ah, yes. And you never have to actually touch the kettle, the pot, or the
> tea itself. Why, soon you won't even have to *drink* the tea; there will be
> capsule full of green tea powder. What a future! (Could it be here now?)
>
> Seriously, thanks for the warning, Aloke.
>
> Michael

Falky foo

> Why, soon you won't even have to *drink* the tea; there will be
> capsule full of green tea powder.

They already have those. Check your local GNC store.