Posted to rec.food.preserving
SDT SDT is offline

Default Recipes needed

>for Seckel pear jam, jelly, preserves. My neighbor has a tree and
>does not seem to be using them. Thought I might help them use the
>up. They also have figs.

I'd be inclined to can most, dry some and try to learn if I could store
some for fresh.
I've never looked into preserving on this, but I have subbed pears into
apple recipes.
IIRC, the pear pie was quite tasty but a bit runnier than what I got
from the apple pie recipe I adjusted for Golden Delicious apples
(sweeter and cook faster than granny smith), and Seckel pears are
probably different from whatever pear I used, and ripeness is very
important.
-
This isn't completely a guess: So far as making a dish from the pears
and pear products goes I expect any apple, peach or apricot recipe
would be quite tasty if you subbed in pears.
You'd maybe get peach sauce if you subbed ripe and juicy peaches for
green apples, but? Worth picking up a spoon for
-
For canning I'd try to be aware of calcium chloride--
http://www.freshpreserving.com/pages...anules/323.php
is the first result at google, I suggest doing better on your search, and
why I'm saying this is pickle crisp actually helps keep thawed whiting from
going to mush when canned, and more.
SDT