Posted to rec.food.preserving
Becca[_4_] Becca[_4_] is offline

Default Recipes needed

On Oct 22, 5:25*pm, George Shirley > wrote:
> On 10/22/2010 5:12 PM, The Cook wrote:
>
> > for Seckel pear jam, jelly, preserves. *My neighbor has a tree and
> > does not seem to be using them. *Thought I might help them *use the
> > up. *They also have figs.

> U of GA has lots of pear and fig recipes on line and the Ball Blue Book
> and the Ball Big Book both have some good recipes. I can pear slices in
> a solution of Splenda and water and, I believe, the recipe is available
> at UofGA also.
>
> My favorite is pear jelly, made after I sieve the cooked pears to remove
> seeds, and skins, then I drain the pulp to make pear sauce, either with
> cinnamon or cloves, and the juice is then strained through the jelly bag
> to make a beautiful yellow jelly.
>
> Figs are very easy, very often we make fig jam with figs that have been
> crushed and use only lemon juice and sugar and then BWB the result.

George, do you by any chance of a link to the recipe with pear slices
in
a solution of Splenda and water or perhaps the recipe? I'm mainly
interested in the solution of Splenda and water recipe. I would like
to make jams and or can fruit, but I really don't want to make a bunch
of stuff with sugar as I know it isn't the healthiest to it. I am
having a hard time finding jam or fruit canning recipes with sugar
alternatives that will taste good. I thought that Splenda would give
the recipe a funny tast when canning. TIA!