Kathi

Default salsa verde recipe

as per request...

7 cups chopped green tomatoes, about 3.5 lbs
5-10 jalapeno or scotch bonnet peppers, finely chopped
2 cups finely chopped red onion, about 1 large
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup lime juice
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon each, salt and black pepper

Wash, core, seed and coarsley chop tomatoes, drain off excess liquid.
Measure 7 cups into a large stainless steel saucepan; add peppers,
onion, garlic and lime juice. Bring to a boil. Stir in cilantro,
cumin, oregano, salt and pepper; simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
Ladel in to hot sterilized jars to within 1/2 inch headspace. BWB 250
ml jars for 15 minutes, 500 ml jars 20 minutes.

From 2003 Bernardin Guide to Home Preserving.

I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds good, and smelled good too.

Kathi
Anny Middon

Kathi--

Thanks loads. Sounds delicious -- just what I was looking for to use up the
remains of my garden.

A question -- perhaps a stupid one. This recipe is from a Canadian
cookbook. Do I need to convert any of the measurements to USA ones?
Normally I'd figure it all comes out in the wash -- everything in Canadian
cups vs. everything in US cups and the ratios are the same. But I'll
probably use the maximum amount of peppers and am a tad worried that the
lime juice may not then provide enough acidity.

I know -- I could just add a tad more lime juice. But I really don't want
the salsa to end up more acidic than it needs to be.

Or am I confused and Canadian cup measurements are now the same as US ones?

Anny

"Kathi" > wrote in message
m...
> as per request...
>
> 7 cups chopped green tomatoes, about 3.5 lbs
> 5-10 jalapeno or scotch bonnet peppers, finely chopped
> 2 cups finely chopped red onion, about 1 large
> 2 cloves garlic, minced
> 1/2 cup lime juice
> 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
> 2 teaspoons cumin
> 1 teaspoon oregano
> 1 teaspoon each, salt and black pepper
>
> Wash, core, seed and coarsley chop tomatoes, drain off excess liquid.
> Measure 7 cups into a large stainless steel saucepan; add peppers,
> onion, garlic and lime juice. Bring to a boil. Stir in cilantro,
> cumin, oregano, salt and pepper; simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
> Ladel in to hot sterilized jars to within 1/2 inch headspace. BWB 250
> ml jars for 15 minutes, 500 ml jars 20 minutes.
>
> From 2003 Bernardin Guide to Home Preserving.
>
> I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds good, and smelled good too.
>
> Kathi

Anny Middon

Kathi--

Thanks loads. Sounds delicious -- just what I was looking for to use up the
remains of my garden.

A question -- perhaps a stupid one. This recipe is from a Canadian
cookbook. Do I need to convert any of the measurements to USA ones?
Normally I'd figure it all comes out in the wash -- everything in Canadian
cups vs. everything in US cups and the ratios are the same. But I'll
probably use the maximum amount of peppers and am a tad worried that the
lime juice may not then provide enough acidity.

I know -- I could just add a tad more lime juice. But I really don't want
the salsa to end up more acidic than it needs to be.

Or am I confused and Canadian cup measurements are now the same as US ones?

Anny

"Kathi" > wrote in message
m...
> as per request...
>
> 7 cups chopped green tomatoes, about 3.5 lbs
> 5-10 jalapeno or scotch bonnet peppers, finely chopped
> 2 cups finely chopped red onion, about 1 large
> 2 cloves garlic, minced
> 1/2 cup lime juice
> 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
> 2 teaspoons cumin
> 1 teaspoon oregano
> 1 teaspoon each, salt and black pepper
>
> Wash, core, seed and coarsley chop tomatoes, drain off excess liquid.
> Measure 7 cups into a large stainless steel saucepan; add peppers,
> onion, garlic and lime juice. Bring to a boil. Stir in cilantro,
> cumin, oregano, salt and pepper; simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
> Ladel in to hot sterilized jars to within 1/2 inch headspace. BWB 250
> ml jars for 15 minutes, 500 ml jars 20 minutes.
>
> From 2003 Bernardin Guide to Home Preserving.
>
> I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds good, and smelled good too.
>
> Kathi

ellen wickberg

in article , Anny Middon at
wrote on 15/10/04 7:29 AM:

> Kathi--
>
> Thanks loads. Sounds delicious -- just what I was looking for to use up the
> remains of my garden.
>
> A question -- perhaps a stupid one. This recipe is from a Canadian
> cookbook. Do I need to convert any of the measurements to USA ones?
> Normally I'd figure it all comes out in the wash -- everything in Canadian
> cups vs. everything in US cups and the ratios are the same. But I'll
> probably use the maximum amount of peppers and am a tad worried that the
> lime juice may not then provide enough acidity.
>
> I know -- I could just add a tad more lime juice. But I really don't want
> the salsa to end up more acidic than it needs to be.
>
> Or am I confused and Canadian cup measurements are now the same as US ones?
>
> Anny
>
> "Kathi" > wrote in message
> m...
>> as per request...
>>
>> 7 cups chopped green tomatoes, about 3.5 lbs
>> 5-10 jalapeno or scotch bonnet peppers, finely chopped
>> 2 cups finely chopped red onion, about 1 large
>> 2 cloves garlic, minced
>> 1/2 cup lime juice
>> 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
>> 2 teaspoons cumin
>> 1 teaspoon oregano
>> 1 teaspoon each, salt and black pepper
>>
>> Wash, core, seed and coarsley chop tomatoes, drain off excess liquid.
>> Measure 7 cups into a large stainless steel saucepan; add peppers,
>> onion, garlic and lime juice. Bring to a boil. Stir in cilantro,
>> cumin, oregano, salt and pepper; simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
>> Ladel in to hot sterilized jars to within 1/2 inch headspace. BWB 250
>> ml jars for 15 minutes, 500 ml jars 20 minutes.
>>
>> From 2003 Bernardin Guide to Home Preserving.
>>
>> I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds good, and smelled good too.
>>
>> Kathi

Canadian "cups" are the same as the US ones. When converting the SI, 250
mls was chosen as a round figure for a cup, 5 ml for a teaspoon and 15 ml
for a tablespoon. The only difference in things of the same name was the
Quart ( and therefore the gallon of course). Canadian quarts were imperial
ones, 5 cups, not 4. Many Canadians were surprised at how fast they used up
a US quart of milk, not being aware of that difference.
Ellen

Kathi

"Anny Middon" > wrote in message om>...
> Kathi--
>
> Thanks loads. Sounds delicious -- just what I was looking for to use up the
> remains of my garden.
>
> A question -- perhaps a stupid one. This recipe is from a Canadian
> cookbook. Do I need to convert any of the measurements to USA ones?
> Normally I'd figure it all comes out in the wash -- everything in Canadian
> cups vs. everything in US cups and the ratios are the same. But I'll
> probably use the maximum amount of peppers and am a tad worried that the
> lime juice may not then provide enough acidity.
>
> I know -- I could just add a tad more lime juice. But I really don't want
> the salsa to end up more acidic than it needs to be.
>
> Or am I confused and Canadian cup measurements are now the same as US ones?
>
> Anny
>
> "Kathi" > wrote in message
> m...
> > as per request...
> >
> > 7 cups chopped green tomatoes, about 3.5 lbs
> > 5-10 jalapeno or scotch bonnet peppers, finely chopped
> > 2 cups finely chopped red onion, about 1 large
> > 2 cloves garlic, minced
> > 1/2 cup lime juice
> > 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
> > 2 teaspoons cumin
> > 1 teaspoon oregano
> > 1 teaspoon each, salt and black pepper
> >
> > Wash, core, seed and coarsley chop tomatoes, drain off excess liquid.
> > Measure 7 cups into a large stainless steel saucepan; add peppers,
> > onion, garlic and lime juice. Bring to a boil. Stir in cilantro,
> > cumin, oregano, salt and pepper; simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
> > Ladel in to hot sterilized jars to within 1/2 inch headspace. BWB 250
> > ml jars for 15 minutes, 500 ml jars 20 minutes.
> >
> > From 2003 Bernardin Guide to Home Preserving.
> >
> > I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds good, and smelled good too.
> >
> > Kathi

Hi Anny,

Um, I dunno...were Canadian cups ever different than US cups? I know
there is a difference in quarts and ounces, but cups? And if there
is/was a difference, y'know what? I've never converted anything in
ANY recipe, including baking and stuff. And I've made recipes from
the Ball Blue Book, without taking in to account that there may be a
difference. My guess is you should just follow the recipe and forget
there's a difference....if there is one ;-)

Kathi

Kathi

"Anny Middon" > wrote in message om>...
> Kathi--
>
> Thanks loads. Sounds delicious -- just what I was looking for to use up the
> remains of my garden.
>
> A question -- perhaps a stupid one. This recipe is from a Canadian
> cookbook. Do I need to convert any of the measurements to USA ones?
> Normally I'd figure it all comes out in the wash -- everything in Canadian
> cups vs. everything in US cups and the ratios are the same. But I'll
> probably use the maximum amount of peppers and am a tad worried that the
> lime juice may not then provide enough acidity.
>
> I know -- I could just add a tad more lime juice. But I really don't want
> the salsa to end up more acidic than it needs to be.
>
> Or am I confused and Canadian cup measurements are now the same as US ones?
>
> Anny
>
> "Kathi" > wrote in message
> m...
> > as per request...
> >
> > 7 cups chopped green tomatoes, about 3.5 lbs
> > 5-10 jalapeno or scotch bonnet peppers, finely chopped
> > 2 cups finely chopped red onion, about 1 large
> > 2 cloves garlic, minced
> > 1/2 cup lime juice
> > 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
> > 2 teaspoons cumin
> > 1 teaspoon oregano
> > 1 teaspoon each, salt and black pepper
> >
> > Wash, core, seed and coarsley chop tomatoes, drain off excess liquid.
> > Measure 7 cups into a large stainless steel saucepan; add peppers,
> > onion, garlic and lime juice. Bring to a boil. Stir in cilantro,
> > cumin, oregano, salt and pepper; simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
> > Ladel in to hot sterilized jars to within 1/2 inch headspace. BWB 250
> > ml jars for 15 minutes, 500 ml jars 20 minutes.
> >
> > From 2003 Bernardin Guide to Home Preserving.
> >
> > I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds good, and smelled good too.
> >
> > Kathi

Hi Anny,

Um, I dunno...were Canadian cups ever different than US cups? I know
there is a difference in quarts and ounces, but cups? And if there
is/was a difference, y'know what? I've never converted anything in
ANY recipe, including baking and stuff. And I've made recipes from
the Ball Blue Book, without taking in to account that there may be a
difference. My guess is you should just follow the recipe and forget
there's a difference....if there is one ;-)

Kathi

quick Mole Verde & Salsa Verde Gunner Mexican Cooking 0 23-12-2006 07:59 PM
salsa verde...? rox formerly rmg General Cooking 5 30-06-2006 11:03 AM
Technique for deseeding tomatillo/tomate verde for salsa verde? [email protected] Mexican Cooking 6 05-06-2006 11:47 PM
Salsa Verde The Bubbo General Cooking 13 27-03-2006 05:46 PM
Salsa Verde Rich McCormack Mexican Cooking 1 12-11-2003 05:07 PM