Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default salsa verde...?

Someone was talking about a "salsa verde" recipe containing the following:

flat leaf parsley
mint
basil
anchovies
capers
small gherkins
garlic
red wine vinegar
olive oil
mustard

I have made one with similar ingredients from Bibba Caggiano's Trattoria
cookbook which you serve on warm or cold chicken (it's yum), but it omits
the mint and gherkins and has bread crumbs in it. I can go from that recipe
with the above ingredients but what proportion of mint and gherkins would
you add, and wouldn't capers be enough re the gherkins?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

rox formerly rmg wrote:
> Someone was talking about a "salsa verde" recipe containing the following:
>
> flat leaf parsley
> mint
> basil
> anchovies
> capers
> small gherkins
> garlic
> red wine vinegar
> olive oil
> mustard
>
> I have made one with similar ingredients from Bibba Caggiano's Trattoria
> cookbook which you serve on warm or cold chicken (it's yum), but it omits
> the mint and gherkins and has bread crumbs in it. I can go from that recipe
> with the above ingredients but what proportion of mint and gherkins would
> you add, and wouldn't capers be enough re the gherkins?

if it were me i'd go light on the mint, but I'm not such a huge fan of mint.
I'd also skip the gherkins if you have the caper action going on.

Will you be serving this on fish? it sounds lovely.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> "rox formerly rmg" >
> et:
>
>> Someone was talking about a "salsa verde" recipe containing the
>> following:
>>
>> flat leaf parsley
>> mint
>> basil
>> anchovies
>> capers
>> small gherkins
>> garlic
>> red wine vinegar
>> olive oil
>> mustard
>>
>> I have made one with similar ingredients from Bibba Caggiano's
>> Trattoria cookbook which you serve on warm or cold chicken (it's yum),
>> but it omits the mint and gherkins and has bread crumbs in it. I can
>> go from that recipe with the above ingredients but what proportion of
>> mint and gherkins would you add, and wouldn't capers be enough re the
>> gherkins?

> Interesting list of ingredients. Quite frankly I've seen very few of those
> ingredients in any salsa verde recipe I've ever used. I've never used
> gherkins, mustard, capers, mint or anchovy but the anchovy sound
> interesting. I use onion, tomatillos, garlic, jalapeno peppers (sometimes
> habaneros), cilantro, a bit of sugar, lime juice and Kosher salt to taste.
>
> Michael

I use tomatillos (a mix of fully ripe and slightly underripe), serrano
peppers, garlic powder, onion, dried mint, and salt to taste.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> > "rox formerly rmg" >
> > et:
> >
> >> Someone was talking about a "salsa verde" recipe containing the
> >> following:
> >>
> >> flat leaf parsley
> >> mint
> >> basil
> >> anchovies
> >> capers
> >> small gherkins
> >> garlic
> >> red wine vinegar
> >> olive oil
> >> mustard
> >>
> >> I have made one with similar ingredients from Bibba Caggiano's
> >> Trattoria cookbook which you serve on warm or cold chicken (it's yum),
> >> but it omits the mint and gherkins and has bread crumbs in it. I can
> >> go from that recipe with the above ingredients but what proportion of
> >> mint and gherkins would you add, and wouldn't capers be enough re the
> >> gherkins?

> > Interesting list of ingredients. Quite frankly I've seen very few of

those
> > ingredients in any salsa verde recipe I've ever used. I've never used
> > gherkins, mustard, capers, mint or anchovy but the anchovy sound
> > interesting. I use onion, tomatillos, garlic, jalapeno peppers

(sometimes
> > habaneros), cilantro, a bit of sugar, lime juice and Kosher salt to

taste.

> > Michael

It's an Italian Salsa Verde (both words can also be Italian - I know, how
befuddling).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

rox formerly rmg wrote:

>>> ingredients in any salsa verde recipe I've ever used. I've never used
>>> gherkins, mustard, capers, mint or anchovy but the anchovy sound
>>> interesting. I use onion, tomatillos, garlic, jalapeno peppers
>>> (sometimes habaneros), cilantro, a bit of sugar, lime juice and Kosher
>>> salt to taste.

> It's an Italian Salsa Verde (both words can also be Italian - I know, how
> befuddling).

If you sing an aria while making it, can it be a Salsa Verdi?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message

Kosher

> > It's an Italian Salsa Verde (both words can also be Italian - I know,

how
> > befuddling).

> If you sing an aria while making it, can it be a Salsa Verdi?
>
> Bob

hehe cute

Salsa Verde Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 33 25-04-2008 02:48 AM
quick Mole Verde & Salsa Verde Gunner Mexican Cooking 0 23-12-2006 07:59 PM
Technique for deseeding tomatillo/tomate verde for salsa verde? [email protected] Mexican Cooking 6 05-06-2006 11:47 PM
Salsa Verde Barry Bean General Cooking 1 16-05-2005 07:06 PM
Salsa Verde urbanChiles General Cooking 12 08-03-2005 01:42 AM