Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default Technique for deseeding tomatillo/tomate verde for salsa verde?

My current (unsatisfying) method:

-Cook tomatillos
-Blend
-Mash through fine strainer with a spoon (^_^

This is pretty time consuming (especially the cleanup) and it results
in a lot of wasted tomatillo pulp/skin and a pretty runny, textureless
salsa. Do any of you deseed as well? If so, what's your technique?

For the skeptical, this is roughly what I'm shooting for:
http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/333/img0149026ha.jpg

Thanks!

-Gregory

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Nobody that I know de-seeds tomatillos, and very few de-seed red tomatoes.
I'm speaking from a Mexican native point of view.

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> My current (unsatisfying) method:
>
> -Cook tomatillos
> -Blend
> -Mash through fine strainer with a spoon (^_^
>
> This is pretty time consuming (especially the cleanup) and it results
> in a lot of wasted tomatillo pulp/skin and a pretty runny, textureless
> salsa. Do any of you deseed as well? If so, what's your technique?
>
> For the skeptical, this is roughly what I'm shooting for:
> http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/333/img0149026ha.jpg
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Gregory

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

I (currently) don't know anyone that does either which is too bad
because I really think it enhances the experience, but then again, I'm
not too fond of tangy/fruity salsa verde. I'm from the San Francisco
east bay area (not a mecca for authentic Mex. fare but I don't know of
such a place stateside; at least we've got our own respectable take on
it if you excuse all the cheese, but even that's often chihuahua ;-)
and of all the salsa verde I've had, I'd say at least half of it was
seedless. I know they do things differently there (I've recently had
the gastronomical misfortune of moving to New England) but even *here*
I've run into a few decent salsa verdes with very minimal to no seeds.
I've never been able to get the trick out of the restaurateurs however
so I'm stuck with my own either gelatinous and or unintentionally-soupy
salsa ;_(

Well, thanks for the reply! I hope there are more to come!

Wayne Lundberg wrote:
> Nobody that I know de-seeds tomatillos, and very few de-seed red tomatoes.
> I'm speaking from a Mexican native point of view.
>

> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > My current (unsatisfying) method:
> >
> > -Cook tomatillos
> > -Blend
> > -Mash through fine strainer with a spoon (^_^
> >
> > This is pretty time consuming (especially the cleanup) and it results
> > in a lot of wasted tomatillo pulp/skin and a pretty runny, textureless
> > salsa. Do any of you deseed as well? If so, what's your technique?
> >
> > For the skeptical, this is roughly what I'm shooting for:
> > http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/333/img0149026ha.jpg
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > -Gregory

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> My current (unsatisfying) method:
>
> -Cook tomatillos
> -Blend
> -Mash through fine strainer with a spoon (^_^

I have no idea why you would want to do this, but, since you do, just ...

.... cut the tomatillos in two

.... squeeze out the seeds

.... proceed to cook as you wish

David

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Squeeze out the seeds?? I couldn't imagine doing that and not taking
most of the pulp with them. I'd just as soon tweeze the seeds.

I want to do this because I don't like a mouthful of seeds (can't
imagine many would) and it really makes a moreso elegant "table"
salsa... I'm looking for a "I grind the tomatillos in a molcajete which
pulverizes them" or "most of them slip out when I grill the brined
tomatillos", not drama thank you.

PS: do either of you have an favorite sopa seca ("yellow/orange/red
rice") recipe you wouldn't mind divulging? I'm always looking to tweak
my own, I'd say I'm 90% "there", I feel it's lacking something (nuance)
in the spice department and am curious as to what a.f.m-c'ers use. I
use achiote for color, not a tomato product, I'd like a recipe that
does the same or has no color agent. Thanks

Gregory

David Wright wrote:
> I have no idea why you would want to do this, but, since you do, just ...
>
> ... cut the tomatillos in two
>
> ... squeeze out the seeds
>
> ... proceed to cook as you wish
>
> David

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
de de is offline

I venture there is more green chile and perhaps green tomato ratios in that
salsa pic than tomatillo. ( note the red flecks, probably ripening parts of
the chiles and the seeds are definitely chile seeds). That would also give
it the texture and taste I think you strive for.

Straight Tomatillos do not make for a good sauce nor would I prior strain
the seeds for a salsa ingredient. Too many good Salsa Verde recipes out
there

de
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> My current (unsatisfying) method:
>
> -Cook tomatillos
> -Blend
> -Mash through fine strainer with a spoon (^_^
>
> This is pretty time consuming (especially the cleanup) and it results
> in a lot of wasted tomatillo pulp/skin and a pretty runny, textureless
> salsa. Do any of you deseed as well? If so, what's your technique?
>
> For the skeptical, this is roughly what I'm shooting for:
> http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/333/img0149026ha.jpg
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Gregory

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:
> You seed tomatillos the same way you seed kiwi-fruit.
>
> -sw

I've never de-seeded a kiwi-fruit, could you explain the process? Thanks

quick Mole Verde & Salsa Verde Gunner Mexican Cooking 0 23-12-2006 07:59 PM
Salsa Verde Barry Bean General Cooking 1 16-05-2005 07:06 PM
Tomatillo Salsa Verde zxcvbob Preserving 0 04-10-2004 06:02 AM
Salsa Verde Rich McCormack Mexican Cooking 1 12-11-2003 05:07 PM