Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default STILL putting it by

Put up four jars of pear jelly this morning. Pretty much finishes off
the pear juice left from making the pearsauce. About 8 ounces of pear
nectar left that one of us will drink sometime today or tomorrow as we
like pear nectar.

At the moment I'm resting and Miz Anne is stirring the Gingered Pear
Preserves as they cook. should be about three or four pint jars of that
delicacy. Again, the recipe is from the BCBOP, aka bicbop, aka Ball
Complete Book of Preserving. The preserves have finely chopped pears,
ginger root, the zest and juice of three limes and a leetle sugar. First
time we've made this.

We've got enough pears left to cut up and make a pie or cobbler so I'll
have to cajole the Pie Lady (Miz Anne)into doing one up. Poor soul,
school starts again for her on 08/12. She will go to the art teachers
in-service and the following day to the in-service for her school. Much
as she groans about it I think she is going to be glad to be back. She's
been teaching in the same elementary school for over five years now and
has watched the kids go from Pre-K to fifth grade and on to junior high.
She's still planning to teach until age 70 as long as she enjoys it. I
just stay home and count the money she brings in. Yeah, right!
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
> Put up four jars of pear jelly this morning. Pretty much finishes off the
> pear juice left from making the pearsauce. About 8 ounces of pear nectar
> left that one of us will drink sometime today or tomorrow as we like pear
> nectar.

I love it too! :-) Yesterday I canned what I could save of the bird damaged
pears. They ripened first. I got 6 pints of cinnamon pears from them. There
was a lot of waste. There's at least 20 lbs left but they're not damaged
and not ripe yet.

> At the moment I'm resting and Miz Anne is stirring the Gingered Pear
> Preserves as they cook. should be about three or four pint jars of that
> delicacy. Again, the recipe is from the BCBOP, aka bicbop, aka Ball
> Complete Book of Preserving. The preserves have finely chopped pears,
> ginger root, the zest and juice of three limes and a leetle sugar. First
> time we've made this.

What do you put your preserves on?

> We've got enough pears left to cut up and make a pie or cobbler so I'll
> have to cajole the Pie Lady (Miz Anne)into doing one up. Poor soul, school
> starts again for her on 08/12. She will go to the art teachers in-service
> and the following day to the in-service for her school. Much as she groans
> about it I think she is going to be glad to be back. She's been teaching
> in the same elementary school for over five years now and has watched the
> kids go from Pre-K to fifth grade and on to junior high. She's still
> planning to teach until age 70 as long as she enjoys it. I just stay home
> and count the money she brings in. Yeah, right!

I don't blame her. If she enjoys working.... why not? I love retirement. I
hope I never have to work again.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Marie Dodge wrote:

> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
>> Put up four jars of pear jelly this morning. Pretty much finishes off
>> the pear juice left from making the pearsauce. About 8 ounces of pear
>> nectar left that one of us will drink sometime today or tomorrow as we
>> like pear nectar.

> I love it too! :-) Yesterday I canned what I could save of the bird
> damaged pears. They ripened first. I got 6 pints of cinnamon pears from
> them. There was a lot of waste. There's at least 20 lbs left but
> they're not damaged and not ripe yet.
>

>> At the moment I'm resting and Miz Anne is stirring the Gingered Pear
>> Preserves as they cook. should be about three or four pint jars of
>> that delicacy. Again, the recipe is from the BCBOP, aka bicbop, aka
>> Ball Complete Book of Preserving. The preserves have finely chopped
>> pears, ginger root, the zest and juice of three limes and a leetle
>> sugar. First time we've made this.

> What do you put your preserves on?

Toast, biscuits, whatever we think it might taste good on.

>> We've got enough pears left to cut up and make a pie or cobbler so
>> I'll have to cajole the Pie Lady (Miz Anne)into doing one up. Poor
>> soul, school starts again for her on 08/12. She will go to the art
>> teachers in-service and the following day to the in-service for her
>> school. Much as she groans about it I think she is going to be glad to
>> be back. She's been teaching in the same elementary school for over
>> five years now and has watched the kids go from Pre-K to fifth grade
>> and on to junior high. She's still planning to teach until age 70 as
>> long as she enjoys it. I just stay home and count the money she brings
>> in. Yeah, right!

> I don't blame her. If she enjoys working.... why not? I love
> retirement. I hope I never have to work again.

I still do a little work for the fellow who is running my old
consultancy. I fill in for him on occasion and he always pays me. I
still enjoy doing the things I did for over forty years but am also glad
when it's done and I can go home again. I ran my business out of my home
for about fifteen years and it was most convenient. Now I write the odd
magazine article when I need some extra cash for one of my projects too.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
"Marie Dodge" > wrote:

> What do you put your preserves on?

Biscuits. Waffles. Pancakes. Crepes.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller , blahblahblog is back and
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Marie Dodge" > wrote:
>
>> What do you put your preserves on?

> Biscuits. Waffles. Pancakes. Crepes.

Sounds good.

> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://web.mac.com/barbschaller , blahblahblog is back and
> is being updated quite regularly now, most recently 8-7-2008.
> "rec.food.cooking Preserved Fruit Administrator
> 'Always in a jam. Never in a stew.'" - Evergene

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Marie Dodge" > wrote in message

> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
>> Put up four jars of pear jelly this morning. Pretty much finishes off the
>> pear juice left from making the pearsauce. About 8 ounces of pear nectar
>> left that one of us will drink sometime today or tomorrow as we like pear
>> nectar.

> I love it too! :-) Yesterday I canned what I could save of the bird
> damaged pears. They ripened first. I got 6 pints of cinnamon pears from
> them. There was a lot of waste. There's at least 20 lbs left but they're
> not damaged and not ripe yet.
>

>> At the moment I'm resting and Miz Anne is stirring the Gingered Pear
>> Preserves as they cook. should be about three or four pint jars of that
>> delicacy. Again, the recipe is from the BCBOP, aka bicbop, aka Ball
>> Complete Book of Preserving. The preserves have finely chopped pears,
>> ginger root, the zest and juice of three limes and a leetle sugar. First
>> time we've made this.

> What do you put your preserves on?

Cottage cheese, yogurt, french toast.
Edrena