Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Salt for brined pickles

I like to make Kosher brined pickles using salt only, no vinegar, and
ready in 2 to 7 days. The problem i am having is how much salt to use.
Recipes call for anywhere from 1/4 tablespoon to 5 tablespoons for a
quart jar. Any suggestions will be welcome.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Andy Petro wrote:
> I like to make Kosher brined pickles using salt only, no vinegar, and
> ready in 2 to 7 days. The problem i am having is how much salt to use.
> Recipes call for anywhere from 1/4 tablespoon to 5 tablespoons for a
> quart jar. Any suggestions will be welcome.

I use a scant tablespoon of kosher salt per cup of water. Bring to a
boil to dissolve salt, and let cool.

They won't ferment in 2 days. Takes 3 days minimum, and probably 4 for
half-sours. Begin slicing and tasting at 3 days.

From my site (the recipe archive for my Yahoogroup), this is the recipe
I use:
http://www.jewishfood-list.com/recip...pickles02.html

You can go up a node and see other salt-brined pickle recipes.

B/
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Andy Petro wrote:
> I like to make Kosher brined pickles using salt only, no vinegar, and
> ready in 2 to 7 days. The problem i am having is how much salt to use.
> Recipes call for anywhere from 1/4 tablespoon to 5 tablespoons for a
> quart jar. Any suggestions will be welcome.

5 tablespoons of salt will make nice crisp pickles, but IMHO they will be
too salty to eat, and probably too salty to pickle. With that much
salt, I brine sliced cucumbers for 2-8 hours, drain and wash them
and then pickle them in a 50% vinegar solution. They either go
in the fridge or get "cooked" in a boiling water bath.

Geoff.
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Thu, 9 Aug 2007 20:21:30 -0400, "Andy Petro"
> wrote:

>I like to make Kosher brined pickles using salt only, no vinegar, and
>ready in 2 to 7 days. The problem i am having is how much salt to use.
>Recipes call for anywhere from 1/4 tablespoon to 5 tablespoons for a
>quart jar. Any suggestions will be welcome.

The author of The Joy of Pickling recommends weighing salt in order to
be consistent for salt-brine fermented pickles.

The stength of the brine (and ambient temperature) control the speed
of fermentation.

According to the book, you can get half-sours in about a week by using
a 3.5% brine - 4.9 ounces of salt to a gallon of water

The batch I've got going now is in about a 5.5% brine (7.5
ounces/gallon). They'll take 3 weeks or so to finish fermenting and
will be full-sours.

- Mark
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 18:15:58 -0700, Dave Bell

>> On Thu, 9 Aug 2007 20:21:30 -0400, "Andy Petro"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I like to make Kosher brined pickles using salt only, no vinegar, and
>>> ready in 2 to 7 days. The problem i am having is how much salt to use.
>>> Recipes call for anywhere from 1/4 tablespoon to 5 tablespoons for a
>>> quart jar. Any suggestions will be welcome.

>> The author of The Joy of Pickling recommends weighing salt in order to
>> be consistent for salt-brine fermented pickles.
>>
>> The stength of the brine (and ambient temperature) control the speed
>> of fermentation.
>>
>> According to the book, you can get half-sours in about a week by using
>> a 3.5% brine - 4.9 ounces of salt to a gallon of water
>>
>> The batch I've got going now is in about a 5.5% brine (7.5
>> ounces/gallon). They'll take 3 weeks or so to finish fermenting and
>> will be full-sours.
>>
>> - Mark

>I'm curious, Mark - is that an Imperial gallon, or what?
> From your percentages, I make it 136 to 140 ounces of water.
>
>Dave

The book doesn't say. But, since it's by an American author for an
American audience I assume it's a U. S. gallon which I believe is 128
fluid ounces. I said "about 5.5%" - it's probably closer to 5.3%.

The table in the book says 7.4 ounces salt/gallon for 5.2% - I used
7.5 ounces and guesstimated 5.5% which is a little high.

- Mark