Posted to rec.food.preserving
Geoffrey S. Mendelson Geoffrey S. Mendelson is offline

Default Salt for brined pickles

Andy Petro wrote:
> I like to make Kosher brined pickles using salt only, no vinegar, and
> ready in 2 to 7 days. The problem i am having is how much salt to use.
> Recipes call for anywhere from 1/4 tablespoon to 5 tablespoons for a
> quart jar. Any suggestions will be welcome.

5 tablespoons of salt will make nice crisp pickles, but IMHO they will be
too salty to eat, and probably too salty to pickle. With that much
salt, I brine sliced cucumbers for 2-8 hours, drain and wash them
and then pickle them in a 50% vinegar solution. They either go
in the fridge or get "cooked" in a boiling water bath.

Geoff.
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/