Old 09-11-2005, 12:12 AM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,alt.support.diabetes,rec.food.cooking
TODD TAMANEND CLARK

Default Crock Pot Recipes ?

I just bought a beautiful new black and gray six quart
crock pot, and now I need some new recipes to go
with it.

My favorite quisines are Mexican, seafood, and wild
game.

I don't eat beef, chicken, or pork for religious reasons,
and like many Native Americans, I'm also limited by
diabetes and lactose intolerance.

Any suggestions?

- - - -
TODD TAMANEND CLARK
Poet/Composer/Multi-Instrumentalist/Cultural Historian

Owls In Obsidian (CD: Instrumental, 2000)
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/ttc
Staff, Mask, Rattle (2-CD: Instrumental, 2002)
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/ttc2
Monongahela Riverrun (CD: Instrumental, 2004)
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/ttc3
Nova Psychedelia (2-CD: Vocal, 2005)
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/ttc4

Old 09-11-2005, 12:34 AM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,alt.support.diabetes,rec.food.cooking
Julie Bove

"TODD TAMANEND CLARK" wrote in message
oups.com...
I just bought a beautiful new black and gray six quart
crock pot, and now I need some new recipes to go
with it.

My favorite quisines are Mexican, seafood, and wild
game.

I don't eat beef, chicken, or pork for religious reasons,
and like many Native Americans, I'm also limited by
diabetes and lactose intolerance.

Any suggestions?

I've found that the crockpot works best for things like meat, soups and
stews. You can do beans in the crockpot, but you have to first bring them to
a boil on the stove. And it's best to do them without any seasonings until
they get soft. If you add things like tomatoes before they are soft, they
can get tough.

You can make a nice soup by starting with some tomato juice or vegetable
juice. Or you can use a combination of vegetable broth and chopped tomatoes
(canned or fresh). Start with whatever low carb veggies you like. I'm
partial to green or wax beans, onions, celery and carrots. Leafy vegetables
such as spinach should be added at the end of the cooking time because they
take less time to cook. Add whatever seasonings you like, such as salt,
pepper, parsley, bay leaf (remove before serving), or other herbs. I like
Italian seasoning. Just be sure not to add too much liquid. You need to
leave several inches clear at the top because as the vegetables cook they'll
give off liquid.

You can add carby things to this if your diet allows. Dried beans are best
cooked first before adding. Rice and pasta should also be cooked separately
so they don't soak up too much of the cooking liquid. Add these things
towards the end of cooking. Other things like peas, corn or potatoes can be
added at the beginning. Cook on low for 6-8 hours and you'll have a yummy
soup! Taste before serving and add more seasonings if needed.

A favorite of mine prior to the diabetes diagnosis was bean/corn chili. I
still eat it now sometimes, but in limited amounts. Simply take three cans
of beans (different kinds), one can of corn, and a large jar of salsa.
Since your crockpot is so large, you may have to double these amounts.
These things are already cooked, so they'll only have to heat for a couple
of hours. Heat them through on low. Serve over a bed of rice if you can
have that many carbs. I don't do the rice. Top with things like cheese (if
you can eat it), fresh chopped cilantro, onions, avocado, peppers, or
whatever you like. I often add some chopped onions to this as it cooks
because I love onions!

--
See my webpage:

Old 09-11-2005, 01:17 AM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,alt.support.diabetes,rec.food.cooking
Marcella Peek

In article .com,
"TODD TAMANEND CLARK" wrote:

I just bought a beautiful new black and gray six quart
crock pot, and now I need some new recipes to go
with it.

My favorite quisines are Mexican, seafood, and wild
game.

I don't eat beef, chicken, or pork for religious reasons,
and like many Native Americans, I'm also limited by
diabetes and lactose intolerance.

Any suggestions?

- - - -
TODD TAMANEND CLARK

Here's a slow cooker enchilada recipe. I would just leave out the meat
and add more veggies, use soy cheese or skip it too.

1 pound ground beef
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
16 ounces kidney beans -- rinsed and drained
15 ounces canned black or pinto beans -- rinsed and drained
10 ounces diced tomatoes and green chiles -- undrained
1/3 cup water
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
6 flour tortillas
In a skillet, cook beef, onion, and green bell pepper until beef is
browned and vegetables are tender; drain. Add the next 8 ingredients;
bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Combine
cheeses. In a 5-quart crockpot, layer about 3/4 cup beef mixture, one
tortilla, and about 1/3 cup cheese. Repeat layers. Cover and cook on LOW
for 5 to 7 hours or until heated through.

I just bought a magazine at the grocery store. It's called "Fix it and
forget it slow-cooker magic" There is a section on meatless entrees as
well as some seafood recipes. Might be worth looking for near you.

marcella
Old 09-11-2005, 01:36 AM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,alt.support.diabetes,rec.food.cooking
Julie Bove

"Marcella Peek" wrote in message
In article .com,
"TODD TAMANEND CLARK" wrote:

[...]

That sounds yummy, but too high in carbs for me. I can occasionally eat one
bean enchilada if my BG is low enough. But that doesn't happen very often.

--
See my webpage:

Old 09-11-2005, 04:01 AM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,alt.support.diabetes,rec.food.cooking
W. Baker

In alt.support.diabetes TODD TAMANEND CLARK wrote:
: I just bought a beautiful new black and gray six quart
: crock pot, and now I need some new recipes to go
: with it.

: My favorite quisines are Mexican, seafood, and wild
: game.

: I don't eat beef, chicken, or pork for religious reasons,
: and like many Native Americans, I'm also limited by
: diabetes and lactose intolerance.

: Any suggestions?

: - - - -
: TODD TAMANEND CLARK
: Poet/Composer/Multi-Instrumentalist/Cultural Historian

: Owls In Obsidian (CD: Instrumental, 2000)
: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/ttc
: Staff, Mask, Rattle (2-CD: Instrumental, 2002)
: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/ttc2
: Monongahela Riverrun (CD: Instrumental, 2004)
: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/ttc3
: Nova Psychedelia (2-CD: Vocal, 2005)
: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/ttc4

Not a recipe, but you could adapt a good bison or venison stew to the
crock pot and it shuld work out well.

Wendy

Old 09-11-2005, 10:10 AM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,alt.support.diabetes,rec.food.cooking
TODD TAMANEND CLARK

Julie Bove wrote:

I've found that the crockpot works best for things
like meat, soups and stews. You can do beans
in the crockpot, but you have to first bring them
to a boil on the stove. And it's best to do them
without any seasonings until they get soft. If you
add things like tomatoes before they are soft,
they can get tough.

You can make a nice soup by starting with some
tomato juice or vegetable juice. Or you can use
a combination of vegetable broth and chopped
tomatoes (canned or fresh). Start with whatever
low carb veggies you like. I'm partial to green or
wax beans, onions, celery and carrots. Leafy
vegetables such as spinach should be added at
the end of the cooking time because they take
less time to cook. Add whatever seasonings
you like, such as salt, pepper, parsley, bay leaf
(remove before serving), or other herbs.

Some of my favorite seasonings are chili powder,
chives, garlic powder, honey, liquid smoke, onion
powder, paprika, sage, salt, and walnut extract.

I like Italian seasoning. Just be sure not to add
too much liquid. You need to leave several inches
clear at the top because as the vegetables cook
they'll give off liquid.

You can add carby things to this if your diet allows.

Only in moderation.

Dried beans are best cooked first before adding.
Rice and pasta should also be cooked separately
so they don't soak up too much of the cooking liquid.
Add these things towards the end of cooking. Other
things like peas, corn, or potatoes can be added at
the beginning. Cook on low for 6-8 hours and you'll
have a yummy soup! Taste before serving and add
more seasonings if needed.

A favorite of mine prior to the diabetes diagnosis was
bean/corn chili. I still eat it now sometimes, but in
limited amounts. Simply take three cans of beans
(different kinds), one can of corn, and a large jar of
salsa.

Since your crockpot is so large, you may have to
double these amounts.

I bought a larger one because I have six offspring (four
adults and two minors) plus guests.

These things are already cooked, so they'll only have
to heat for a couple of hours. Heat them through on
low.

Thanks for all the great advice, Julie.

Serve over a bed of rice if you can have that many
carbs. I don't do the rice.

I eat wild rice, which is really a seed and not actually
a true rice. One time I accidentally ate some white
rice in a store bought Mexican skillet dish that one of
my sons prepared, and it spiked my blood glucose
reading into the stratosphere. I don't like the taste of
rice anyway, so I don't miss it.

I also avoid pastas made from wheat and use the ones
that are made from corn and quinoa instead.

Top with things like cheese (if you can eat it)...

Informing the newsgroups of what dairy products do
to my system would be more information than most
readers would want to know. Suffice it to say, Native
American digestive tracts evolved for thousands of
years without dairy products prior to the Spanish
conquistadores bringing cows to the Americas.

I also boycott cow products because of cattle
herding's negative impact on the environment, as well
as the negative impact on human cholesterol control.

... fresh chopped cilantro, onions, avocado, peppers,
or whatever you like. I often add some chopped
onions to this as it cooks because I love onions!

Mayan onions are especially delicious!

= = = =
TODD TAMANEND CLARK
Lyricist/Composer/Arranger/Producer/Graphic Artist/
Vocalist/Synthesist/Guitarist/Percussionist/Flutist
The Monongahela River, Turtle Island
http://tinyurl.com/5uu5c

Old 09-11-2005, 10:34 AM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,alt.support.diabetes,rec.food.cooking
TODD TAMANEND CLARK

Marcella Peek wrote:

Here's a slow cooker enchilada recipe. I would just
leave out the meat...

I substitute bison, ground turkey, or venison for
recipes that call for beef.

and add more veggies, use soy cheese or skip it too.

I'll probably just skip the cheese entirely. I'm not a
fan of soy products.

1 pound ground beef
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
16 ounces kidney beans -- rinsed and drained
15 ounces canned black or pinto beans --
rinsed and drained
10 ounces diced tomatoes and green chiles --
undrained
1/3 cup water
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

I'll substitute chili powder for the black pepper.

1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
6 flour tortillas

And I'll substitute corn tortillas for the wheat tortillas.

In a skillet, cook beef, onion, and green bell pepper
until beef is browned and vegetables are tender; drain.
Add the next 8 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce
heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Combine
cheeses. In a 5-quart crockpot, layer about 3/4 cup
beef mixture, one tortilla, and about 1/3 cup cheese.
Repeat layers. Cover and cook on LOW for 5 to 7
hours or until heated through.

Sounds delicious.

I just bought a magazine at the grocery store. It's
called "Fix it and forget it slow-cooker magic".
There is a section on meatless entrees as well as
some seafood recipes. Might be worth looking for
near you.

Thanks, Marcella, I'll check it out.

+ + + +
TODD TAMANEND CLARK
Electronic Multi-Instrumental Tone Scientist
The Monongahela River, Turtle Island
http://rateyourmusic.com/view_albums/artist_id_is_25350

Old 09-11-2005, 11:04 AM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,alt.support.diabetes,rec.food.cooking
TODD TAMANEND CLARK

Wendy Baker wrote:

Not a recipe, but you could adapt a good bison or venison
stew to the crock pot, and it should work out well.

I was hoping that would be the case!

_ _ _ _
Name: Todd Tamanend Clark
Age: 53
Location: The Monongahela River
Nations: Onodowaga & Lenape
Continent: Turtle Island
Profession: Poet/Composer/Multi-Instrumentalist
Collects: Native American Items & 1960s Psychedelia
http://tinyurl.com/9y6l4

Old 09-11-2005, 04:11 PM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,alt.support.diabetes,rec.food.cooking
~patches~

TODD TAMANEND CLARK wrote:

Wendy Baker wrote:

Not a recipe, but you could adapt a good bison or venison
stew to the crock pot, and it should work out well.

I was hoping that would be the case!

_ _ _ _
Name: Todd Tamanend Clark
Age: 53
Location: The Monongahela River
Nations: Onodowaga & Lenape
Continent: Turtle Island
Profession: Poet/Composer/Multi-Instrumentalist
Collects: Native American Items & 1960s Psychedelia
http://tinyurl.com/9y6l4

Todd, I'm looking for venison recipes as the guys have had a successful
hunt. They won't be home until late tomorrow so I have time to get
recipes and necessary supplies. I found this site helpful and a few
could be done in the crockpot.
http://www.recipezaar.com/r/372/310/311

PS. I hear you on the lactose intolerance!
Old 09-11-2005, 05:14 PM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,alt.support.diabetes,rec.food.cooking
Julie Bove

"TODD TAMANEND CLARK" wrote in message
oups.com...
snip

Informing the newsgroups of what dairy products do
to my system would be more information than most
readers would want to know. Suffice it to say, Native
American digestive tracts evolved for thousands of
years without dairy products prior to the Spanish
conquistadores bringing cows to the Americas.

I'm part Cherokee and also have lactose intolerance. But cheese doesn't
bother me. Only milk. And then only if it is uncooked.

snip

Mayan onions are especially delicious!

Yes! I just bought some. I love all kinds of onions.

--
See my web:

Old 09-11-2005, 06:01 PM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,alt.support.diabetes,rec.food.cooking
Default User

TODD TAMANEND CLARK wrote:

_ _ _ _
Name: Todd Tamanend Clark

Technical note:

Looks like you're trying to do a .sig here, but you don't have a usenet
standard delimiter. Rather than that _ _ _ _ thing, the standard is
dash, dash, space, carriage return.

Brian

won't shut up.
Old 09-11-2005, 06:11 PM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,alt.support.diabetes,rec.food.cooking
~patches~

Julie Bove wrote:

"TODD TAMANEND CLARK" wrote in message
oups.com...
snip

Informing the newsgroups of what dairy products do
to my system would be more information than most
readers would want to know. Suffice it to say, Native
American digestive tracts evolved for thousands of
years without dairy products prior to the Spanish
conquistadores bringing cows to the Americas.

I'm part Cherokee and also have lactose intolerance. But cheese doesn't
bother me. Only milk. And then only if it is uncooked.

I'm of native ancestry as well and have lactose intolerance. Milk, milk
products like dried milk, and some cheeses are a huge problem. Other
cheeses are fine. Lactaid helps especially when eating out where hidden
milk finds its way into dishes. Milk can be hidden in sauces, gravies,
dressing, etc. What also helps is digestive enzymes. The one I'm
currently taking is by Swiss Natural Sources. It has full spectrum
activity containing protease, lipase, amylase, cellulase, and lactase.
Unlike lactaid that can be taken just prior to eating, the digestive
enzymes caplet is supposed to be taken 1/2 hr before eating. I carry
caplets of digestive enzymes with me for those times I know we will be
stopping for a meal and lactaid for those spur of the moment stops.

snip

Old 09-11-2005, 09:11 PM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,alt.support.diabetes,rec.food.cooking
Wayne Lundberg

"TODD TAMANEND CLARK" wrote in message
oups.com...
I just bought a beautiful new black and gray six quart
crock pot, and now I need some new recipes to go
with it.

My favorite quisines are Mexican, seafood, and wild
game.

I don't eat beef, chicken, or pork for religious reasons,
and like many Native Americans, I'm also limited by
diabetes and lactose intolerance.

Any suggestions?

Barbacoa. The crock pot was invented to replicate the deep hole dug in earth
and lined with rocks, then heated all day by burning mesquite and the like
so that in the evening a maguey leaf wrapped chunk of lamb, with a few
avocado leaves, salt and a touch of ground red chile (just a touch!) and put
for overnight cooking in the diminishing heat of the rocks. To take it out
steaming and deliciously flakeable chunks of meat into a hot tortilla,
spiced with just enough salsa... that is true heaven.

May you enjoy your crock pot! A wonderful, excellent, delightful method for
cooking game, lamb, kid, and Irish stews!

Wayne

Old 09-11-2005, 11:51 PM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,alt.support.diabetes,rec.food.cooking
Kswck

http://www.cookingcache.com/crockpot.html

Old 10-11-2005, 08:02 PM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,alt.support.diabetes,rec.food.cooking
TODD TAMANEND CLARK

"Brian/Default User" wrote:
Technical note:

Looks like you're trying to do a .sig here, but you don't
have a usenet standard delimiter. Rather than that _ _ _ _
thing, the standard is dash, dash, space, carriage return.

My signature keeps changing in each of my individual posts
within every different thread in order to defeat the annoying
new Google quotation system.

- -
TODD TAMANEND CLARK

Crock pot recipes Jay General Cooking 9 03-10-2008 10:37 PM
crock pot recipes Ria General Cooking 32 29-01-2006 12:07 PM
Crock Pot Recipes ? TODD TAMANEND CLARK General Cooking 23 11-11-2005 11:21 PM
Low Carb Crock Pot Recipes Kat Newsgroups General Cooking 12 14-03-2005 09:41 PM
summer crock pot recipes??? SPOONS General Cooking 4 11-06-2004 02:32 AM