Sam

Default need for the invention of spaghetti

i am trying to find a answer to whether spaghetti bolognese is
traditionally done with long thin pasta like spaghetti or taghliatelle
or with shorter rotelle or if it makes any difference at all to the
original italians who made the meal.

why was spaghetti invented if it is so inferior to rotelle's salsa
holding ability?

was it designed to taste different or have a different ratio of salsa
to pasta in one fork. or was it made cause its fun to twirl and slurp
up? any idea on the history of these pasta? thanks

Sam
Bob (this one)

Sam wrote:

> i am trying to find a answer to whether spaghetti bolognese is
> traditionally done with long thin pasta like spaghetti or taghliatelle
> or with shorter rotelle or if it makes any difference at all to the
> original italians who made the meal.

It's called "spaghetti Bolognese." See, spaghetti...

> why was spaghetti invented if it is so inferior to rotelle's salsa
> holding ability?

Different pastas hold different sauces better than others. Read about
it. This is a big subject.

> was it designed to taste different or have a different ratio of salsa
> to pasta in one fork. or was it made cause its fun to twirl and slurp
> up? any idea on the history of these pasta? thanks

Google is your friend.

Why didn't you just continue the conversation you were having in
rec.food.cooking about this?

Pastorio

Combat Lit

Bob wrote

<< It's called "spaghetti Bolognese." See, spaghetti... >>

In Bologna and throughout Northern Italy, the dish is "Tagliatelle al Ragu alla
Bolognese." Spaghetti is not an acceptable substitution in the classic
presentation.

Robert

Bob (this one)

Combat Lit wrote:

> Bob wrote
>
> << It's called "spaghetti Bolognese." See, spaghetti... >>
>
> In Bologna and throughout Northern Italy, the dish is "Tagliatelle al Ragu alla
> Bolognese." Spaghetti is not an acceptable substitution in the classic
> presentation.

Of course. I was quoting the guy who asked the question. He asked
about whether "spaghetti Bolognese" used other pastas. I pointed out
that when something was called "spaghetti... anything" it was made
with spaghetti, not elbows or some other shape. It wasn't so much
about Bolognese as the use of "spaghetti" as a generic term for all
pastas.

I had a wide and thick "pasta alla chitarra" with a Bolognese sauce in
Italy some years back. I confess that I preferred it because there was
a heftier bite of pasta than the tagliatelle provide. It worked well
with the intensity of the sauce.

Pastorio