Posted to rec.food.cooking
jake

Default Dinner was a new invention

I tried something new and it worked:

Lentil Salad
cooked brown lentils
roasted red bell peppers, diced
diced onions, gently fried in mustard oil
fried smoked bacon (cut into small pieces)
balsamic vinegar
salt, pepper

Sorry, I winged it, so I have no measurements for you.

Served at room temperature.
It had been a while I'd invented something new. i liked the way this
tasted. Spring onions would have worked, too. And parsley. Something
green would have made it look better. But I didn't have any

I am calling this a new recipe, but probably someone somewhere out there
had already invented something similar before
Posted to rec.food.cooking
jake

jake wrote:

> I tried something new and it worked:
>
> Lentil Salad
> cooked brown lentils
> roasted red bell peppers, diced
> diced onions, gently fried in mustard oil
> fried smoked bacon (cut into small pieces)
> balsamic vinegar
> salt, pepper
>
> Sorry, I winged it, so I have no measurements for you.
>
> Served at room temperature.
> It had been a while I'd invented something new. i liked the way this
> tasted. Spring onions would have worked, too. And parsley. Something
> green would have made it look better. But I didn't have any
>
> I am calling this a new recipe, but probably someone somewhere out there
> had already invented something similar before

Okay, finally my brain produces the word I meant to use instead of
invention... experiment.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 18:32:01 +0100, jake >
wrote:

>I tried something new and it worked:
>
>Lentil Salad
>cooked brown lentils
>roasted red bell peppers, diced
>diced onions, gently fried in mustard oil
>fried smoked bacon (cut into small pieces)
>balsamic vinegar
>salt, pepper
>
>Sorry, I winged it, so I have no measurements for you.
>
>Served at room temperature.

I think I love you! Thanks for sharing!
Carol
--
Wash away the gray to respond.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
jake

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 18:32:01 +0100, jake >
> wrote:
>

>>I tried something new and it worked:
>>
>>Lentil Salad
>>cooked brown lentils
>>roasted red bell peppers, diced
>>diced onions, gently fried in mustard oil
>>fried smoked bacon (cut into small pieces)
>>balsamic vinegar
>>salt, pepper
>>
>>Sorry, I winged it, so I have no measurements for you.
>>
>>Served at room temperature.

> I think I love you! Thanks for sharing!
> Carol

Well, I'm very flattered!. But why? Do you love lentils?
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Janet Bostwick

"jake" > wrote in message
. nl...
>I tried something new and it worked:
>
> Lentil Salad
> cooked brown lentils
> roasted red bell peppers, diced
> diced onions, gently fried in mustard oil
> fried smoked bacon (cut into small pieces)
> balsamic vinegar
> salt, pepper
>
> Sorry, I winged it, so I have no measurements for you.
>
> Served at room temperature.
> It had been a while I'd invented something new. i liked the way this
> tasted. Spring onions would have worked, too. And parsley. Something
> green would have made it look better. But I didn't have any
>
> I am calling this a new recipe, but probably someone somewhere out there
> had already invented something similar before

Definitely parsley. I think that I would have gone for diced fresh peppers,
but the ingredients are tucked away in my mind for future reference. And
excellent idea, thanks!
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mark Thorson

jake wrote:

> jake wrote:
> >
> > I am calling this a new recipe, but probably someone somewhere out there
> > had already invented something similar before

> Okay, finally my brain produces the word I meant to use instead of
> invention... experiment.

It's not a recipe, because you don't cite amounts.
I'ts just a list of ingredients.

And you left out the capers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
dejablues

"jake" > wrote in message
. nl...
> I tried something new and it worked:
>
> Lentil Salad
> cooked brown lentils
> roasted red bell peppers, diced
> diced onions, gently fried in mustard oil
> fried smoked bacon (cut into small pieces)
> balsamic vinegar
> salt, pepper
>
> Sorry, I winged it, so I have no measurements for you.
>
> Served at room temperature.
> It had been a while I'd invented something new. i liked the way this
> tasted. Spring onions would have worked, too. And parsley. Something
> green would have made it look better. But I didn't have any
>
> I am calling this a new recipe, but probably someone somewhere out there
> had already invented something similar before

My MIL makes something similar. For New Years Day, she uses black-eyed peas
instead of lentils - for good luck.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Chris

"jake" > wrote in message
. nl...
>I tried something new and it worked:
>
> Lentil Salad
> cooked brown lentils
> roasted red bell peppers, diced
> diced onions, gently fried in mustard oil
> fried smoked bacon (cut into small pieces)
> balsamic vinegar
> salt, pepper
>
> Sorry, I winged it, so I have no measurements for you.

Sounds good. Where do you get mustard oil? Haven't seen that before.

Chris

Posted to rec.food.cooking
rox formerly rmg

"jake" > wrote in message
. nl...
> I tried something new and it worked:
> I am calling this a new recipe, but probably someone somewhere out there
> had already invented something similar before

Yanno, I was just reading a lentil/tomato salad recipe yesterday and I was
thinking to myself, "it sounds good but something is missing. Something....
something.... and after reading your adaptation I realized that SOMETHING is
bacon. hehehehe. MMMMMMMbacon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jake

Mark Thorson wrote:
> jake wrote:
>

>>jake wrote:
>>
>>>I am calling this a new recipe, but probably someone somewhere out there
>>>had already invented something similar before

>>Okay, finally my brain produces the word I meant to use instead of
>>invention... experiment.

> It's not a recipe, because you don't cite amounts.
> I'ts just a list of ingredients.

They are chefs measures

> And you left out the capers.

Capers would be good i it, yes,

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jake

Janet Bostwick wrote:

> "jake" > wrote in message
> . nl...
>
>>I tried something new and it worked:
>>
>>Lentil Salad
>>cooked brown lentils
>>roasted red bell peppers, diced
>>diced onions, gently fried in mustard oil
>>fried smoked bacon (cut into small pieces)
>>balsamic vinegar
>>salt, pepper
>>
>>Sorry, I winged it, so I have no measurements for you.
>>
>>Served at room temperature.
>>It had been a while I'd invented something new. i liked the way this
>>tasted. Spring onions would have worked, too. And parsley. Something
>>green would have made it look better. But I didn't have any
>>
>>I am calling this a new recipe, but probably someone somewhere out there
>>had already invented something similar before

> Definitely parsley. I think that I would have gone for diced fresh peppers,
> but the ingredients are tucked away in my mind for future reference. And
> excellent idea, thanks!
> Janet

I happened to have a jar of roast red peppers (with some vinegar in it),
so I used that. I think I might fnd fresh too crunchy for this sald, but
I woudl like the flavor.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
jake

dejablues wrote:

> "jake" > wrote in message
> . nl...
>
>>I tried something new and it worked:
>>
>>Lentil Salad
>>cooked brown lentils
>>roasted red bell peppers, diced
>>diced onions, gently fried in mustard oil
>>fried smoked bacon (cut into small pieces)
>>balsamic vinegar
>>salt, pepper
>>
>>Sorry, I winged it, so I have no measurements for you.
>>
>>Served at room temperature.
>>It had been a while I'd invented something new. i liked the way this
>>tasted. Spring onions would have worked, too. And parsley. Something
>>green would have made it look better. But I didn't have any
>>
>>I am calling this a new recipe, but probably someone somewhere out there
>>had already invented something similar before

> My MIL makes something similar. For New Years Day, she uses black-eyed peas
> instead of lentils - for good luck.

That sounds good, too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
jake

Chris wrote:

> "jake" > wrote in message
> . nl...
>
>>I tried something new and it worked:
>>
>>Lentil Salad
>>cooked brown lentils
>>roasted red bell peppers, diced
>>diced onions, gently fried in mustard oil
>>fried smoked bacon (cut into small pieces)
>>balsamic vinegar
>>salt, pepper
>>
>>Sorry, I winged it, so I have no measurements for you.
>>

> Sounds good. Where do you get mustard oil? Haven't seen that before.

I bought it in an Asian store that sells Indian spices.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
jake

rox formerly rmg wrote:

> "jake" > wrote in message
> . nl...
>
>>I tried something new and it worked:
>>I am calling this a new recipe, but probably someone somewhere out there
>>had already invented something similar before

> Yanno, I was just reading a lentil/tomato salad recipe yesterday and I was
> thinking to myself, "it sounds good but something is missing. Something....
> something.... and after reading your adaptation I realized that SOMETHING is
> bacon. hehehehe. MMMMMMMbacon.

And chives!