Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Invention of the Juicy Lucy

How old are they? Two restaurants claim to have been the first, but
wikipedia doesn't say when. My mom made them in 1976. She called it a
surprise burger.

--

Reply in group, but if emailing remove the last word.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 Oct 2013 01:17:06 -0400, "Tom Del Rosso"
> wrote:

> How old are they? Two restaurants claim to have been the first, but
> wikipedia doesn't say when. My mom made them in 1976. She called it a
> surprise burger.

No idea what that is.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Oct 2013 01:17:06 -0400, "Tom Del Rosso"
> > wrote:
>

> > How old are they? Two restaurants claim to have been the first, but
> > wikipedia doesn't say when. My mom made them in 1976. She called
> > it a surprise burger.

> No idea what that is.

The cheese is melted inside the burger.

--

Reply in group, but if emailing remove the last word.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 Oct 2013 03:02:31 -0400, "Tom Del Rosso"
> wrote:
>
> sf wrote:
> > On Sat, 26 Oct 2013 01:17:06 -0400, "Tom Del Rosso"
> > > wrote:
> >

> > > How old are they? Two restaurants claim to have been the first, but
> > > wikipedia doesn't say when. My mom made them in 1976. She called
> > > it a surprise burger.

> > No idea what that is.

> The cheese is melted inside the burger.

Thanks, I've seen pictures of those burgers (untitled).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tom Del Rosso" wrote:
>sf wrote:
>> On Sat, 26 Oct 2013 01:17:06 -0400, "Tom Del Rosso"
>> > wrote:
>>

>> > How old are they? Two restaurants claim to have been the first, but
>> > wikipedia doesn't say when. My mom made them in 1976. She called
>> > it a surprise burger.

>> No idea what that is.

>The cheese is melted inside the burger.

Nothing new... every lunchonette in NYC had cheese stuffed burgers on
their menu when I was a kid... of course the cheese of choice was
Velveeta... my mom did stuffed burgers, my dad's favorite, she stuffed
meat loaf with cheese as well. There have been cheese stuffed meat
dishes forever, especially sausage, so the concept is nothing new.
Nowadays there are cheese filled dog biscuits... canned pet food
contains chunks of cheese too, my cats love it. Saying all that I
don't like cheeseburgers. About the only meat and cheese combo I like
is ham n' swiss.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/26/2013 11:27 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> "Tom Del Rosso" wrote:
>> sf wrote:
>>> On Sat, 26 Oct 2013 01:17:06 -0400, "Tom Del Rosso"

>>> No idea what that is.

>> The cheese is melted inside the burger.

> Nothing new... every lunchonette in NYC had cheese stuffed burgers on
> their menu when I was a kid... of course the cheese of choice was
> Velveeta... my mom did stuffed burgers, my dad's favorite, she stuffed
> meat loaf with cheese as well. There have been cheese stuffed meat
> dishes forever, especially sausage, so the concept is nothing new.
> Nowadays there are cheese filled dog biscuits... canned pet food
> contains chunks of cheese too, my cats love it. Saying all that I
> don't like cheeseburgers. About the only meat and cheese combo I like
> is ham n' swiss.

I prefer swiss on a burger, myself. I do add cheddar cheese or <gasp>
sometimes chunks of Velveeta to my meatloaf mix.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:
> "Tom Del Rosso" wrote:
> > sf wrote:
> > > On Sat, 26 Oct 2013 01:17:06 -0400, "Tom Del Rosso"

> > > No idea what that is.

> > The cheese is melted inside the burger.

> Nothing new... every lunchonette in NYC had cheese stuffed burgers on
> their menu when I was a kid...

That was before the 70's, right?

> of course the cheese of choice was Velveeta...

For me too. I wish I had been introduced to mild cheeses earlier, but when
all a kid knows is Velveeta and sharp Provolone he chooses the former. At
least the rectangular Velveeta box was good for various creative uses. I
made a bus out of one.

> Nowadays there are cheese filled dog biscuits... canned pet food
> contains chunks of cheese too, my cats love it.

In one supermarket I saw a refrigerated case in the pet food isle. They
have food and treats with fresh meat now.

--

Reply in group, but if emailing remove the last word.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 Oct 2013 11:36:58 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 10/26/2013 11:27 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> >> The cheese is melted inside the burger.

> > Nothing new... every lunchonette in NYC had cheese stuffed burgers on
> > their menu when I was a kid... of course the cheese of choice was
> > Velveeta... my mom did stuffed burgers, my dad's favorite, she stuffed
> > meat loaf with cheese as well. There have been cheese stuffed meat
> > dishes forever, especially sausage, so the concept is nothing new.
> > Nowadays there are cheese filled dog biscuits... canned pet food
> > contains chunks of cheese too, my cats love it. Saying all that I
> > don't like cheeseburgers. About the only meat and cheese combo I like
> > is ham n' swiss.
> >

> I prefer swiss on a burger, myself. I do add cheddar cheese or <gasp>
> sometimes chunks of Velveeta to my meatloaf mix.

Just looking at pictures of cheese oozing out of a burger turns me
off. I want my burgers pink on the inside with cheese on top. I love
cheeseburgers and would eat them more often, if they weren't so
calorie laden. Swiss cheese is one of the few cheeses I truly dislike
(although melted is okay) - so when I order a cheeseburger and I'm
given a choice, I'll take blue cheese. I do love patty melts (fairly
dry, not greasy) and don't care what cheese goes on it - probably
because I'm focusing on those lovely grilled onions. Love it on
marble rye, but few restaurants do patty melts that way.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 27 Oct 2013 08:49:08 -0700, sf > wrote:

>Just looking at pictures of cheese oozing out of a burger turns me
>off. I want my burgers pink on the inside with cheese on top. I love
>cheeseburgers and would eat them more often, if they weren't so
>calorie laden. Swiss cheese is one of the few cheeses I truly dislike
>(although melted is okay) -

Typical sliced Swiss from the deli is horrible stuff. A woman I work
with said the same thing, "I don't like Swiss cheese". I said sure
you do. Next day I brought her some cheese to try. She loved it.
Yes, it was Swiss, but of a high quality Emmental.

Like you, I prefer the cheese on top of a pink burger.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/26/2013 12:17 AM, Tom Del Rosso wrote:
> How old are they? Two restaurants claim to have been the first, but
> wikipedia doesn't say when. My mom made them in 1976. She called it a
> surprise burger.

The only thing new about them is the name. I first recall reading
about burgers formed out of two patties with the cheese in the middle
in George Herter's Bull Cook and Historical Recipes book (he disdained
the practice, btw). And that dates back more than a half-century.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tom Del Rosso wrote:

> How old are they? Two restaurants claim to have been the first, but
> wikipedia doesn't say when. My mom made them in 1976. She called it
> a surprise burger.

Man vs Food had an episode about JL sandwiches, they went to both the
Minneapolis pubs who claim their invention. I don't remember if they talked
about the date of birth of JL but the episode should be available on the
channels's website.
yes, here it is, maybe check it out and see
http://www.travelchannel.com/video/a...-burgers-12365
--
"Un pasto senza vino e' come un giorno senza sole"
Anthelme Brillat Savarin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ViLco" > wrote:
> Tom Del Rosso wrote:
>
>> How old are they? Two restaurants claim to have been the first, but
>> wikipedia doesn't say when. My mom made them in 1976. She called it
>> a surprise burger.

> Man vs Food had an episode about JL sandwiches, they went to both the
> Minneapolis pubs who claim their invention. I don't remember if they talked
> about the date of birth of JL but the episode should be available on the
> channels's website.
> yes, here it is, maybe check it out and see
> http://www.travelchannel.com/video/a...-burgers-12365

Supposedly the were "invented" here in Minneapolis in the mid 1950's. I've
eaten them at both establishments that claim to be the originator. Matt's
beats the 5-8 hands down.

--
jinx the minx
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article

g>,
jinx the minx > wrote:

> "ViLco" > wrote:
> > Tom Del Rosso wrote:
> >
> >> How old are they? Two restaurants claim to have been the first, but
> >> wikipedia doesn't say when. My mom made them in 1976. She called it
> >> a surprise burger.

> > Man vs Food had an episode about JL sandwiches, they went to both the
> > Minneapolis pubs who claim their invention. I don't remember if they talked
> > about the date of birth of JL but the episode should be available on the
> > channels's website.
> > yes, here it is, maybe check it out and see
> > http://www.travelchannel.com/video/a...-burgers-12365

> Supposedly the were "invented" here in Minneapolis in the mid 1950's. I've
> eaten them at both establishments that claim to be the originator. Matt's
> beats the 5-8 hands down.

Hear, hear!!
--
Barb,
http://www.barbschaller.com, as of April 8, 2013.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I have no idea who or when they ere invented, but the name just
reminds me of a popular girl in high school.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, October 26, 2013 3:10:33 PM UTC-7, Tom Del Rosso wrote:
> Brooklyn1 wrote:

> > > The cheese is melted inside the burger.

> > Nothing new... every lunchonette in NYC had cheese stuffed burgers on

> > their menu when I was a kid...

> That was before the 70's, right?
>

> > of course the cheese of choice was Velveeta...

> For me too. I wish I had been introduced to mild cheeses earlier, but when
>
> all a kid knows is Velveeta and sharp Provolone he chooses the former. At
>
> least the rectangular Velveeta box was good for various creative uses. I
>
> made a bus out of one.
>

> > Nowadays there are cheese filled dog biscuits... canned pet food

> > contains chunks of cheese too, my cats love it.

> In one supermarket I saw a refrigerated case in the pet food isle. They
>
> have food and treats with fresh meat now.
>

> --
>

> Reply in group, but if emailing remove the last word.

"Pet Fresh"? It's the best. Been feeding my poodle that and the treats since it came out. the vet said he'd never seen a healthier dog.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> jinx the minx > wrote:
> >
> > Supposedly the were "invented" here in Minneapolis in the mid 1950's. I've
> > eaten them at both establishments that claim to be the originator. Matt's
> > beats the 5-8 hands down.

> Hear, hear!!

The name might have been invented there, but the actual idea is more
likely to have originated with, for example, the Greek bifteki or the
Balkan pleskavica (which is often enough stuffed with cheese).

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> I have no idea who or when they ere invented, but the name just
> reminds me of a popular girl in high school.

<slaps Ed upside the head!>