Melba's Jammin'

Default Okra

In article >, Sylvia
> wrote:

> Count me in as another okra lover WHEN properly prepared. Great in
> soups like jambalaya or batter-fried. Horrible stewed with tomatoes --
> ruins two good vegetables.
>
> Since I'm the only okra lover in my family, I don't get to eat it very
> often.

Is jambalaya a soup? The recipes I have are not soupy at all. I think
of okra in gumbo, but not jambalaya. But then again, I'm a
Minnesotan--what do I know?
--
-Barb,
I've got a bunch of Pillsbury Classic Cookbooks
Jack Schidt®

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >, Sylvia
> > wrote:
>
> > Count me in as another okra lover WHEN properly prepared. Great in
> > soups like jambalaya or batter-fried. Horrible stewed with tomatoes --
> > ruins two good vegetables.
> >
> > Since I'm the only okra lover in my family, I don't get to eat it very
> > often.

> Is jambalaya a soup? The recipes I have are not soupy at all. I think
> of okra in gumbo, but not jambalaya. But then again, I'm a
> Minnesotan--what do I know?
> --

That'll teach ya to venture out beyond hot dish.

Jack MN

modom

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 14:19:47 GMT, "Jack Schidt®"
> wrote:

>"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>> In article >, Sylvia
>> > wrote:
>>
>> > Count me in as another okra lover WHEN properly prepared. Great in
>> > soups like jambalaya or batter-fried. Horrible stewed with tomatoes --
>> > ruins two good vegetables.
>> >
>> > Since I'm the only okra lover in my family, I don't get to eat it very
>> > often.

>> Is jambalaya a soup? The recipes I have are not soupy at all. I think
>> of okra in gumbo, but not jambalaya. But then again, I'm a
>> Minnesotan--what do I know?
>> --

>That'll teach ya to venture out beyond hot dish.
>
>Jack MN

Actually, I was just thinking that jambalaya IS a kind of hot dish.

modom

Since I lost the brindle cat,
The rats come right up and peer into the pot.
-- Han Shan
Jeff Bienstadt

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

[snip]

> THANK YOU, Michael! Note to Jack MN: Pppfftthhhgggbbttt!

One of the things we love about you, Barb, is your facility with the English
tongue :-)

---jkb

--
"Ack! There is no "emoticon" to express what I am feeling right now!"
-- Comic Book Guy

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Jeff Bienstadt
> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > THANK YOU, Michael! Note to Jack MN: Pppfftthhhgggbbttt!

> One of the things we love about you, Barb, is your facility with the
> English tongue :-)

> ---jkb

It's a gift. "-) (The spelling is the tricky part.)
--
-Barb,
I've got a bunch of Pillsbury Classic Cookbooks
(paperbacks) that I want to get rid of. Interested?
Harry Demidavicius

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 17:55:45 -0500, Melba's Jammin'

wrote:

>> On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 14:19:47 GMT, "Jack Schidt®"
>> > wrote:

>> >That'll teach ya to venture out beyond hot dish.
>> >
>> >Jack MN

>> Actually, I was just thinking that jambalaya IS a kind of hot dish.
>> modom

>THANK YOU, Michael! Note to Jack MN: Pppfftthhhgggbbttt!

You back on the Elbonian again, Barb? ;0)

Harry
A.T. Hagan

wrote:

>> On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 14:19:47 GMT, "Jack Schidt®"
>> > wrote:

>> >That'll teach ya to venture out beyond hot dish.
>> >
>> >Jack MN

>> Actually, I was just thinking that jambalaya IS a kind of hot dish.
>> modom

>THANK YOU, Michael! Note to Jack MN: Pppfftthhhgggbbttt!

That's like saying chili is a kind of soup.

True. Sort of. In a technical sense. I suppose. Kinda...

......Alan.

Post no bills

Sylvia

> If you haven't tried pickled okra yet, give it a try.

I'm not a big pickling fan, period. A jar of regular pickles in this
house can last for years.

--
Sylvia Steiger RN, homeschooling mom since Nov 1995
http://www.SteigerFamily.com

Sylvia

> I think of okra in gumbo, but not jambalaya.

Hey, I don't need any help to look stupid -- I manage fine all by
myself. <g> I mistyped, I meant gumbo. I guess you could call
jambalaya a stew rather than a soup, the ones I've had have been kind of
borderline -- a thick soup or a thin stew, take your pick.

Okra gloria.p General Cooking 39 09-05-2010 03:43 PM
Fried Okra Carolyn Ranker Recipes (moderated) 0 24-08-2008 03:08 PM
okra recipe Joan and Papillons: Cosmo & Midge Diabetic 0 14-09-2007 04:49 PM
okra in stir fry blake murphy General Cooking 0 08-09-2007 09:41 PM
Grilled Okra Kathy[_2_] Recipes (moderated) 0 17-08-2007 03:14 AM