Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Meringue help

I made a lemon meringue pie today. I couldn't get the meringue part to
make soft peaks, like the recipe calls for. The last time I made a
pie, I think I overbeat the egg whites, because there were little clear
dots on the surface once the pie had cooled. I was afraid of
overbeating the egg whites this time, so I poured the frothy (but
runny) egg white/sugar mixture on top of the lemon layer. It's had
sufficient time to cool in the fridge, and yes, there are clear little
dots on the surface. Is it possible to overbeat the meringue mixture
if no soft peaks are formed?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"LadyJane" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> wrote:
>> I made a lemon meringue pie today. I couldn't get the meringue part to
>> make soft peaks, like the recipe calls for. The last time I made a
>> pie, I think I overbeat the egg whites, because there were little clear
>> dots on the surface once the pie had cooled. I was afraid of
>> overbeating the egg whites this time, so I poured the frothy (but
>> runny) egg white/sugar mixture on top of the lemon layer. It's had
>> sufficient time to cool in the fridge, and yes, there are clear little
>> dots on the surface. Is it possible to overbeat the meringue mixture
>> if no soft peaks are formed?

> Unless the bowl and beater you're using is scrupulously clean the
> whites won't form stiff peaks.
> They also won't form if there is the merest speck of yolk.
> Once you've added the sugar it will not get any thicker.
> Sad but true.
> The 'white dots' could well be unbeaten sugar crystals. Once the sugar
> is added you can beat to your hearts content... and generally need to
> beat for a good 3-5 minutes to make sure all the sugar is 'dissolved'.

What she said. Also, your eggwhites should be at room temperature before you
begin beating. Besides being very careful to make sure there is not even the
tiniest speck of yolk in the whites, you must also be sure that your mixing
bowl and beaters are bone dry; water will interfere with the process. Start
the mixer slowly, and when the eggwhites get liquid with bubbles, add a
little cream of tarter. Gradually speed up the mixer. Use powdered
sugar--the small amount of cornstarch in the powdered sugar will help
stabilize your meringue. Make sure the sugar is completely disolved in the
mixture; the "clear little dots" are cuased by moisture from the air being
drawn by undisolved grains of sugar. ALWAYS put the soft-to-slightly-stiff
eggwhite on the lemon pie while the lemon mixture is still blistering hot.
This will prevent the slimy slip-zone between the meringue and the lemon
curd.

I hope this helps.

--Rich

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Thu 06 Jul 2006 06:49:49p, meant to say...

> I made a lemon meringue pie today. I couldn't get the meringue part to
> make soft peaks, like the recipe calls for. The last time I made a
> pie, I think I overbeat the egg whites, because there were little clear
> dots on the surface once the pie had cooled. I was afraid of
> overbeating the egg whites this time, so I poured the frothy (but
> runny) egg white/sugar mixture on top of the lemon layer. It's had
> sufficient time to cool in the fridge, and yes, there are clear little
> dots on the surface. Is it possible to overbeat the meringue mixture
> if no soft peaks are formed?

I agree with what everyone else has said. However, I came across a recipe
on Epicurious several years ago that has an unconventional meringue that
has, so far, proved to be foolproof for me.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Epicurious Lemon Meringue Pie

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
5 ounces vegetable shortening
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons ice water
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
6 large egg yolks
5 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons unsalted butter -- (1/4 stick)
7 large egg whites
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 2/3 cups powdered sugar

For crust, combine flour and salt. Cut shortening into flour mixture until
the size of small peas. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of ice water at a time over
mixture, tossing mixture lightly with 2 forks. When most of water has been
added, press mixture together. If it doesn't hold together in a mass, add
the additional ice water until it does. Gently press mixture into a ball,
flatten into a disk, and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for up to 1
hour.

Roll pastry to 1/8 inch thick between to large squares of plastic wrap
which has been dusted lightly with flour. Fit pastry into deep pie pan,
trim edges, and crimp a high border on crust. Prick surface of crust
uniformly with a fork. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes before baking.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line inside of pastry with foil or baking
parchment. Fill with pie weights or dried rice or beans. Bake in
preheated oven for 10 minutes. Remove foil or paper and weights, and
return to oven. Bake an additional 5-7 minutes or until lightly browned.
Remove from oven and cool completely before filling.

Whisk first 7 ingredients in heavy medium saucepan to blend. Using whisk,
stir over medium heat until filling thickens and just begins to boil, about
20 minutes. Remove from heat. Whisk in butter. Spoon hot filling into
prepared crust.

Using electric mixer, beat egg whites in large stainless steel bowl at low
speed until foamy. Beat in cream of tartar and 1 tablespoon sugar.

Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. Beat at medium
speed until stiff glossy peaks form, about 8 minutes.

Spread meringue over warm filling, covering completely, sealing meringue to
crust edges and mounding in center.

Bake pie for 30 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 275°F and continue to
bake until meringue is golden brown and set when pie is shaken slightly,
about 50 minutes. Transfer pie to rack and cool completely, about 4 hours.
(Can be made 1 day ahead. Refrigerate uncovered.)

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7 Jul 2006 05:55:46 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
<wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>I agree with what everyone else has said. However, I came across a recipe
>on Epicurious several years ago that has an unconventional meringue that
>has, so far, proved to be foolproof for me.
>

>* Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Epicurious Lemon Meringue Pie

Cool! Thank you, Wayne! Crash loves, loves, loves lemon meringue
pie, and I've been too scared to even attempt it. Until now. This
might make a good birthday cake for him.

Pssst! To center the "Exported from MasterCook" text, click your
cursor at the end of the line above it. Then hit Delete, and you
should have nice, centered text. I have NO idea why they don't have
that automated yet.

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The recipe I used only calls for egg whites and sugar, no cream of
tarter. Is that the key ingredient that I am missing? Today's pie was
only my second one. I haven't tried today's pie, but don't remember
any weird taste/texture of the meringue of the last one. Is the cream
of tarter only for the structure, and not the taste, of the meringue?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> Oh pshaw, on Thu 06 Jul 2006 09:03:49p, meant to say...
>
> > The recipe I used only calls for egg whites and sugar, no cream of
> > tarter. Is that the key ingredient that I am missing? Today's pie was
> > only my second one. I haven't tried today's pie, but don't remember
> > any weird taste/texture of the meringue of the last one. Is the cream
> > of tarter only for the structure, and not the taste, of the meringue?

> Egg whites beat better when there is a mild acid present. Chefs or cooks who
> beat egg whites in a copper bowl rely on the reaction of the egg whites with
> the copper to produce this effect. For the rest of us, the cream of tartar
> provides just the right reaction.
>
> While you can beat egg whites without cream of tartar, the results are more
> realiable when it is added.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
> _____________________

I remember this lady who made fantastic walnut meringues, we ate them
like eating cookies.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Thu 06 Jul 2006 09:02:44p, Damsel in dis Dress meant to
say...

> On 7 Jul 2006 05:55:46 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
> <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I agree with what everyone else has said. However, I came across a
>>recipe on Epicurious several years ago that has an unconventional
>>meringue that has, so far, proved to be foolproof for me.
>>

>>* Exported from MasterCook *
>>
>> Epicurious Lemon Meringue Pie

> Cool! Thank you, Wayne! Crash loves, loves, loves lemon meringue
> pie, and I've been too scared to even attempt it. Until now. This
> might make a good birthday cake for him.

Carol, this is the best LMP I've ever eaten, and also the most reliable
recipe I've used. You're an accomplished cook...you'll have absolutely no
problem, I'm sure.

> Pssst! To center the "Exported from MasterCook" text, click your
> cursor at the end of the line above it. Then hit Delete, and you
> should have nice, centered text. I have NO idea why they don't have
> that automated yet.

Thanks for the tip! I didn't know that.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Thu 06 Jul 2006 09:02:44p, Damsel in dis Dress meant to say...

> Pssst! To center the "Exported from MasterCook" text, click your
> cursor at the end of the line above it. Then hit Delete, and you
> should have nice, centered text. I have NO idea why they don't have
> that automated yet.

Hmm... I just tried that and it didn't work for me. It's probably my
newsreader. I use Xnews.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Thu 06 Jul 2006 09:26:14p, dee meant to say...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> Oh pshaw, on Thu 06 Jul 2006 09:03:49p, meant to say...
>>
>> > The recipe I used only calls for egg whites and sugar, no cream of
>> > tarter. Is that the key ingredient that I am missing? Today's pie
>> > was only my second one. I haven't tried today's pie, but don't
>> > remember any weird taste/texture of the meringue of the last one. Is
>> > the cream of tarter only for the structure, and not the taste, of the
>> > meringue?

>> Egg whites beat better when there is a mild acid present. Chefs or
>> cooks who beat egg whites in a copper bowl rely on the reaction of the
>> egg whites w ith the copper to produce this effect. For the rest of
>> us, the cream of tart ar provides just the right reaction.
>>
>> While you can beat egg whites without cream of tartar, the results are
>> mo re realiable when it is added.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬ _____________________

> I remember this lady who made fantastic walnut meringues, we ate them
> like eating cookies.

That would be easy to do. Sounds delicious!

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7 Jul 2006 08:10:01 -0700, "Nancy2" > wrote:

>The "clear dots" is undissolved sugar.

Those were always my favorite part of meringue pies (don't tell Mom
that I told the world that she had undissolved sugar in her
meringue!). Like little dew drops. ) They make me happy.

Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I believe it is almost impossible to overbeat egg whites.
You should use a stainless mixing bowl; not plastic. It should very clean
as should the beaters. If the weather is warm, I stick the beater blades
and the bowl in the fridge to keep cold. I also add a little cream of
tarter to the egg white mixture; can't remember how much, possibly 1
teaspoon.

ups.com...

Meringue jovanilla General Cooking 1 17-03-2008 04:06 AM
Meringue jovanilla General Cooking 32 13-03-2008 09:33 PM
Meringue Joan General Cooking 8 07-05-2006 09:16 PM
meringue cookies and almond meringue cookies Bob (this one) General Cooking 3 19-12-2005 02:43 PM
Meringue Pie with Jam cmo Recipes 0 31-12-2004 07:31 PM