Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Meringue

I have a horrible time making meringue, I just can't get any volume.
Any suggestions?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jovanilla" > wrote in message
>I have a horrible time making meringue, I just can't get any volume.
> Any suggestions?

Make sure your bowl and beaters or whisk are totally clean and there isn't
so much as a speck of egg yolk in there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10 Mar, 11:20, jovanilla > wrote:
> I have a horrible time making meringue, I just can't get any volume.
> Any suggestions?

Thinking of the basics he-

room temperature eggs, fresh as possible
cleanest and driest of bowl and beaters
no yolks in the separated egg whites
a pinch of salt in the whites helps with whipping
don't sugar product until whites are thick and foamy; then add in a
slow stream whilst beating (this allows the sugar to melt into the
whites slowly)
use metal spoon when removing whipped whites and folding into other
mixes

Adhere to these suggestions and report back to us!

cheers
Bronwyn
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 9, 8:20*pm, jovanilla > wrote:
> I have a horrible time making meringue, I just can't get any volume.
> Any suggestions?

Your bowl and beaters must be scrupuously CLEAN. That means no oil,
butter, or grease of any sort on or in either one. The egg whites
have to be free of any egg yolk, even a smidge will defeat your
purpose. Last but not least, egg whites should be at room temperature
beforing beating.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 9 Mar 2008 18:20:03 -0700 (PDT), jovanilla
> wrote:

>I have a horrible time making meringue, I just can't get any volume.
>Any suggestions?

Spotless bowl.
Egg whites at room temp.
A great arm and whisk or a decent hand or stand mixer.
Add sugar, if required, a bit at a time.

Boron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Meringue ... she's a spammer.

I think we are wasting our time by replying to a lowlife, scum of the
earth spammer.

We've been suckered in by a bitch.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 9 Mar 2008 18:20:03 -0700 (PDT), jovanilla
> > wrote:
>
>>I have a horrible time making meringue, I just can't get any volume.
>>Any suggestions?

> Spotless bowl.
> Egg whites at room temp.
> A great arm and whisk or a decent hand or stand mixer.
> Add sugar, if required, a bit at a time.

Next time try addiing some cream of tartar, Escoffier.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 02:04:49 GMT, "Paul M. Cook"
> wrote:

>"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sun, 9 Mar 2008 18:20:03 -0700 (PDT), jovanilla
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>I have a horrible time making meringue, I just can't get any volume.
>>>Any suggestions?

>> Spotless bowl.
>> Egg whites at room temp.
>> A great arm and whisk or a decent hand or stand mixer.
>> Add sugar, if required, a bit at a time.
>>

>Next time try addiing some cream of tartar, Escoffier.
>
>Paul

....and the magic of a copper bowl.

--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jovanilla <jovanilla >> wrote:

> I have a horrible time making meringue, I just can't get any volume.
> Any suggestions?

Email me and I'll tell you how to do perfect Meringue with my secret
recipe!

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jovanilla wrote:
> I have a horrible time making meringue, I just can't get any volume.
> Any suggestions?

1. Make sure that the bowl, beater, and any other utensils
are scrupulously free of any oil or fat left by previous
use. Wash them well with dish soap.

2. The eggs should be at room temperature.

3. Absolutely no egg yolk should contaminate the whites.
Crack and separate each egg separately into a small cup to
make certain there's no yolk, then add each to the beating bowl.

4. Many recipes call for cream of tartar to help the whites
keep their volume.

That said, sometimes mine come out better than others even
when I follow all the rules.
:-(
gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 09 Mar 2008 07:25:50p, Sqwertz told us...

> jovanilla <jovanilla >> wrote:
>
>> I have a horrible time making meringue, I just can't get any volume.
>> Any suggestions?

> Email me and I'll tell you how to do perfect Meringue with my secret
> recipe!
>
> -sw

Why keep it a secret? Share it!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Sunday, 03(III)/09(IX)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
3.184:

> On Sun 09 Mar 2008 07:25:50p, Sqwertz told us...
>
>> jovanilla <jovanilla >> wrote:
>>
>>> I have a horrible time making meringue, I just can't get any volume.
>>> Any suggestions?

>> Email me and I'll tell you how to do perfect Meringue with my secret
>> recipe!
>>
>> -sw
>>

> Why keep it a secret? Share it!

I know her secret...It's some watkins crap...possibly cream of tattar at
a inflated price.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

A man in line at the bank kept falling over...when he got to a teller he
asked for his balance.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright <Wayne Boatwright
>> wrote:

> On Sun 09 Mar 2008 07:25:50p, Sqwertz told us...
>
>> jovanilla <jovanilla >> wrote:
>>
>>> I have a horrible time making meringue, I just can't get any volume.
>>> Any suggestions?

>> Email me and I'll tell you how to do perfect Meringue with my secret
>> recipe!

> Why keep it a secret? Share it!

This is the Watkins spammer from the previous post. One of those
"Lose weight now! Ask me how!" types of posts.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 09 Mar 2008 07:38:38p, Sqwertz told us...

> Wayne Boatwright <Wayne Boatwright
> >> wrote:

>>> Email me and I'll tell you how to do perfect Meringue with my secret
>>> recipe!

>> Why keep it a secret? Share it!

> This is the Watkins spammer from the previous post. One of those
> "Lose weight now! Ask me how!" types of posts.
>
> -sw

Steve, it appeared that you had posted to email you about your secret
recipe.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Sunday, 03(III)/09(IX)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Memorial Day
11wks 4hrs
All words are pegs on which to hang ideas.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright <Wayne Boatwright
>> wrote:

> On Sun 09 Mar 2008 07:38:38p, Sqwertz told us...
>
>> Wayne Boatwright <Wayne Boatwright
>>
>>> On Sun 09 Mar 2008 07:25:50p, Sqwertz told us...

>>> Why keep it a secret? Share it!

>> This is the Watkins spammer from the previous post. One of those
>> "Lose weight now! Ask me how!" types of posts.

> Steve, it appeared that you had posted to email you about your secret
> recipe.

I did. Deposit $5 into my PayPal account and I'll tell you how,
too! Call in the next 20 minutes for an extra bonus!

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 09 Mar 2008 08:14:22p, Sqwertz told us...

> Wayne Boatwright <Wayne Boatwright
> >> wrote:
>
>> On Sun 09 Mar 2008 07:38:38p, Sqwertz told us...
>>
>>> Wayne Boatwright <Wayne Boatwright

>>> This is the Watkins spammer from the previous post. One of those
>>> "Lose weight now! Ask me how!" types of posts.

>> Steve, it appeared that you had posted to email you about your secret
>> recipe.

> I did. Deposit $5 into my PayPal account and I'll tell you how,
> too! Call in the next 20 minutes for an extra bonus!
>
> -sw

LOL! Anyway, I can already make a perfect meringue.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Sunday, 03(III)/09(IX)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Memorial Day
11wks 3hrs 5mins
Oxymoron: Definite possibility

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jovanilla wrote:
> I have a horrible time making meringue, I just can't get any volume.
> Any suggestions?

Try adding some artificial Watkins crap.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jovanilla wrote:

> I have a horrible time making meringue, I just can't get any volume.
> Any suggestions?

I had to check with my wife for this one because she makes incredible
meringues.

5 egg whites (room temperatue)
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
3/4 tsp. vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 225 F
Place parchment or plain paper on cooking sheets. With fingers, butter
the papper lightly and dust with corn starch.

Beat egg whites until frothy. Sprinkle salt and cream of tartar over
them and continue beating until stiff not dry. Slowly add the sugar *
by spoonfuls*..... do not hurry this part. The mixture should be beaten
until it stands in very stiff. glossy peaks. Add vanilla at the end.

With a large serving spoon or pastry bag, shape mounds on the prepared
baking sheets. Bake for 1 1/2 hour. Turn off heat and leave them in the
oven for another half hour at least. It is more of a matter od drying
them out, otherwise the inside remains tacky.

Remove the meringue shell fromt he paper. Meringues keep well in air
tight cans for several days.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 15:31:18 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>jovanilla wrote:
>
>> I have a horrible time making meringue, I just can't get any volume.
>> Any suggestions?

>I had to check with my wife for this one because she makes incredible
>meringues.
>
>5 egg whites (room temperatue)
>1/4 tsp. salt
>1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
>1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
>3/4 tsp. vanilla extract
>
>Preheat oven to 225 F
>Place parchment or plain paper on cooking sheets. With fingers, butter
>the papper lightly and dust with corn starch.
>
>Beat egg whites until frothy. Sprinkle salt and cream of tartar over
>them and continue beating until stiff not dry. Slowly add the sugar *
>by spoonfuls*..... do not hurry this part. The mixture should be beaten
>until it stands in very stiff. glossy peaks. Add vanilla at the end.
>
>With a large serving spoon or pastry bag, shape mounds on the prepared
>baking sheets. Bake for 1 1/2 hour. Turn off heat and leave them in the
>oven for another half hour at least. It is more of a matter od drying
>them out, otherwise the inside remains tacky.
>
>Remove the meringue shell fromt he paper. Meringues keep well in air
>tight cans for several days.

There are many, many uses for meringue... to use as you mention, or in
Pavlova, to use as pie topping, to use to lighten/add volume to a
batter or other dish.

If one is using it in the latter way, there is often nothing added to
the egg whites at all.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boron Elgar wrote:

> >5 egg whites (room temperatue)
> >1/4 tsp. salt
> >1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
> >1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
> >3/4 tsp. vanilla extract
> >
> >Preheat oven to 225 F
> >Place parchment or plain paper on cooking sheets. With fingers, butter
> >the papper lightly and dust with corn starch.
> >
> >Beat egg whites until frothy. Sprinkle salt and cream of tartar over
> >them and continue beating until stiff not dry. Slowly add the sugar *
> >by spoonfuls*..... do not hurry this part. The mixture should be beaten
> >until it stands in very stiff. glossy peaks. Add vanilla at the end.
> >
> >With a large serving spoon or pastry bag, shape mounds on the prepared
> >baking sheets. Bake for 1 1/2 hour. Turn off heat and leave them in the
> >oven for another half hour at least. It is more of a matter od drying
> >them out, otherwise the inside remains tacky.
> >
> >Remove the meringue shell fromt he paper. Meringues keep well in air
> >tight cans for several days.
> >

> There are many, many uses for meringue... to use as you mention, or in
> Pavlova, to use as pie topping, to use to lighten/add volume to a
> batter or other dish.

My mother used to make meringue shells frequently and served them with ice
cream and an assortment of fruit, chocolate sauce or butterscotch sauce. She
used to freeze strawberries and raspberries in a bag with some sugar, and
when the thawed they created a nice sauce, perfect for spooning over the ice
cream and meringue.

My wife makes them once in a while. One time made several large ones, but
thin, and added slivered almonds. She used the egg yolks to make a pot de
chocolat and stacked the meringues using the pot do chocolat as a filling.
Delicious!

It didn't occur to me until after I posted that recipe that perhaps the OP
was asking about meringue topping, which would be the same basic technique,
but with less sugar and higher cooking temperature and for a shorter time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 16:29:32 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>Boron Elgar wrote:
>

>> There are many, many uses for meringue... to use as you mention, or in
>> Pavlova, to use as pie topping, to use to lighten/add volume to a
>> batter or other dish.

>My mother used to make meringue shells frequently and served them with ice
>cream and an assortment of fruit, chocolate sauce or butterscotch sauce. She
>used to freeze strawberries and raspberries in a bag with some sugar, and
>when the thawed they created a nice sauce, perfect for spooning over the ice
>cream and meringue.
>
>My wife makes them once in a while. One time made several large ones, but
>thin, and added slivered almonds. She used the egg yolks to make a pot de
>chocolat and stacked the meringues using the pot do chocolat as a filling.
>Delicious!
>
>It didn't occur to me until after I posted that recipe that perhaps the OP
>was asking about meringue topping, which would be the same basic technique,
>but with less sugar and higher cooking temperature and for a shorter time.

Last Thanksgiving I made extra meringue to bake as cookies. I used
Splenda, though, so the diabetic among us could have them. They came
out very nicely. Not as crisp or deeply browned as they would with
sugar, but a nice texture and an interesting variation on a theme.
Even the kids liked them.

Boron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boron Elgar > wrote:

:There are many, many uses for meringue... to use as you mention, or in
:Pavlova, to use as pie topping, to use to lighten/add volume to a
:batter or other dish.

:If one is using it in the latter way, there is often nothing added to
:the egg whites at all.

If it doesn't have sugar in it, it's not a meringue. It's just
whipped egg whites.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 20:51:28 +0000 (UTC), David Scheidt
> wrote:

>Boron Elgar > wrote:
>
>:There are many, many uses for meringue... to use as you mention, or in
>:Pavlova, to use as pie topping, to use to lighten/add volume to a
>:batter or other dish.
>
>:If one is using it in the latter way, there is often nothing added to
>:the egg whites at all.
>
>If it doesn't have sugar in it, it's not a meringue. It's just
>whipped egg whites.

You are correct.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 10, 4:58*am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> jovanilla wrote:
> > I have a horrible time making meringue, I just can't get any volume.
> > Any suggestions?

> Try adding some artificial Watkins crap.

Why do you have to be so rude? Yes I posted something about Watkins,
because I believe in the product. If you don't, that's fine but it
doesn't give you the right to act like an ass. It also has nothing to
do with this question. So suck it up and act like an adult.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 9, 8:14*pm, Kenneth > wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 02:04:49 GMT, "Paul M. Cook"
>

> > wrote:
>
> >"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
> .. .
> >> On Sun, 9 Mar 2008 18:20:03 -0700 (PDT), jovanilla

> >> Spotless bowl.
> >> Egg whites at room temp.
> >> A great arm and whisk or a decent hand or stand mixer.
> >> Add sugar, if required, a bit at a time.

> >Next time try addiing some cream of tartar, Escoffier.

> >Paul

> ...and the magic of a copper bowl.
>
> --
> Kenneth
>
> If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."- Hide quoted text -

That's a new one that I never heard - the copper bowl I mean. As for
the cream of tartar, I've heard this before but am not sure how much
to add!?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jovanilla" > wrote in message
On Mar 9, 8:14 pm, Kenneth > wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 02:04:49 GMT, "Paul M. Cook"
>

> > wrote:
>
> >"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
> .. .
> >> On Sun, 9 Mar 2008 18:20:03 -0700 (PDT), jovanilla

> >> Spotless bowl.
> >> Egg whites at room temp.
> >> A great arm and whisk or a decent hand or stand mixer.
> >> Add sugar, if required, a bit at a time.

> >Next time try addiing some cream of tartar, Escoffier.

> >Paul

> ...and the magic of a copper bowl.
>
> --
> Kenneth
>
> If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."- Hide quoted text -

"That's a new one that I never heard - the copper bowl I mean. As for
the cream of tartar, I've heard this before but am not sure how much
to add!?"

Copper really is amazing and I am not sure they really know exactly why.
It's hard to keep looking nice though. I only have one and it looks like
the underside of the USS Constitution.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jovanilla <jovanilla >> wrote:

> On Mar 10, 4:58*am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
>> jovanilla wrote:
>>> I have a horrible time making meringue, I just can't get any volume.
>>> Any suggestions?

>> Try adding some artificial Watkins crap.

> Why do you have to be so rude? Yes I posted something about Watkins,
> because I believe in the product.

Yeah - you believe pushing this overpriced crap here int he
newsgroups will make you money.

So suck THIS up.

ObFood: Home-made ham on white bread with horseradish mayo.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 11, 9:38*pm, jovanilla > wrote:

> > On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 02:04:49 GMT, "Paul M. Cook"

> > >Next time try addiing some cream of tartar, Escoffier.

> > >Paul

> As for
> the cream of tartar, I've heard this before but am not sure how much
> to add!?

Oh, I would add at least a cup of cream of tartar, the more the
better. Can't have enough cream of tartar. Then try some of that
Watkins artificial crap you are so willing to peddle by way of being a
spammer to REALLY help with the volume and flavor.

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuum.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 12, 2:29*am, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
> "hahabogus" > wrote in message

Hey fellas, it was a joke! I just thought a _cup_ of cream of tartar
would just be mouth watering with some added Watkins fake spice.

;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 16:26:56 -0700 (PDT), itsjoannotjoann
> wrote:

>On Mar 12, 2:29*am, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
>> "hahabogus" > wrote in message
>>

>Hey fellas, it was a joke! I just thought a _cup_ of cream of tartar
>would just be mouth watering with some added Watkins fake spice.
>
>;-)

i got it right away, j-not-j. some folks just have a taste for
disputation.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 16:26:56 -0700 (PDT), itsjoannotjoann
> > wrote:
>
>>On Mar 12, 2:29 am, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
>>> "hahabogus" > wrote in message
>>>

>>Hey fellas, it was a joke! I just thought a _cup_ of cream of tartar
>>would just be mouth watering with some added Watkins fake spice.
>>
>>;-)

> i got it right away, j-not-j. some folks just have a taste for
> disputation.

No, they don't.

Paul

Meringue jovanilla General Cooking 1 17-03-2008 03:06 AM
Meringue Joan General Cooking 8 07-05-2006 09:16 PM
REC - Meringue Damsel in dis Dress General Cooking 0 28-03-2006 06:42 PM
meringue cookies and almond meringue cookies Bob (this one) General Cooking 3 19-12-2005 01:43 PM
Meringue Pie with Jam cmo Recipes 0 31-12-2004 06:31 PM