Posted to rec.food.cooking
Rich[_1_] Rich[_1_] is offline

Default Meringue help

"LadyJane" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> wrote:
>> I made a lemon meringue pie today. I couldn't get the meringue part to
>> make soft peaks, like the recipe calls for. The last time I made a
>> pie, I think I overbeat the egg whites, because there were little clear
>> dots on the surface once the pie had cooled. I was afraid of
>> overbeating the egg whites this time, so I poured the frothy (but
>> runny) egg white/sugar mixture on top of the lemon layer. It's had
>> sufficient time to cool in the fridge, and yes, there are clear little
>> dots on the surface. Is it possible to overbeat the meringue mixture
>> if no soft peaks are formed?

> Unless the bowl and beater you're using is scrupulously clean the
> whites won't form stiff peaks.
> They also won't form if there is the merest speck of yolk.
> Once you've added the sugar it will not get any thicker.
> Sad but true.
> The 'white dots' could well be unbeaten sugar crystals. Once the sugar
> is added you can beat to your hearts content... and generally need to
> beat for a good 3-5 minutes to make sure all the sugar is 'dissolved'.

What she said. Also, your eggwhites should be at room temperature before you
begin beating. Besides being very careful to make sure there is not even the
tiniest speck of yolk in the whites, you must also be sure that your mixing
bowl and beaters are bone dry; water will interfere with the process. Start
the mixer slowly, and when the eggwhites get liquid with bubbles, add a
little cream of tarter. Gradually speed up the mixer. Use powdered
sugar--the small amount of cornstarch in the powdered sugar will help
stabilize your meringue. Make sure the sugar is completely disolved in the
mixture; the "clear little dots" are cuased by moisture from the air being
drawn by undisolved grains of sugar. ALWAYS put the soft-to-slightly-stiff
eggwhite on the lemon pie while the lemon mixture is still blistering hot.
This will prevent the slimy slip-zone between the meringue and the lemon
curd.

I hope this helps.

--Rich