Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Meringue

Thanks to everyone who kindly provided useful tips for making a
better, fluffier meringue. I finally got to put these tips to use and
although I didn't get as much volume as I would like, the results were
vastly superior to past attempts. I think I may still be adding the
sugar too soon. Anyway, practice makes perfect.

I have heard that berry sugar is better for making meringue. Any
thoughts?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 16 Mar 2008 01:56:16p, jovanilla told us...

> Thanks to everyone who kindly provided useful tips for making a
> better, fluffier meringue. I finally got to put these tips to use and
> although I didn't get as much volume as I would like, the results were
> vastly superior to past attempts. I think I may still be adding the
> sugar too soon. Anyway, practice makes perfect.
>
> I have heard that berry sugar is better for making meringue. Any
> thoughts?

Berry sugar, or superfine sugar, really does work better since it dissolves
more easily into the egg whites. If you can't get any, whirl regular
granulated sugar in a blender until it is fine pulverized.

Here is a meringue topping for a pie that is not at all conventional, but the
best and highest meringue I've ever made. It also does not weep.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Ultimate Meringue Pie Topping

Recipe By :
Serving Size : Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Desserts Pies

-----MERINGUE-----
7 ea Large egg whites
1/2 ts Cream of tartar
1 2/3 c Powdered sugar

MERINGUE: Preheat oven to 300° F. Using elecric mixer, beat egg whites in
large stainless steel bowl at low speed until foamy. Beat in cream of tartar
and 1 tablespoon sugar. gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a
time. Beat at medium speed until stiff glossy peaks form, about 8 minutes.

Spread meringue over warm filling, covering completely, sealing meringue to
crust edges and mounding in center. (This will seem like far too much
meringue, but after baking the meringue will shrink in height, and will not
separate or weep.)

Bake pie for 30 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 275 degrees F. and
continue to bake untiil meringue is golden brown and set when pie is shaken
slightly, about 50 minutes. Transfer pie to rack and cool completely, about
4 hours. (Can be baked 1 day ahead. Refrigerate uncovered.)

--
Wayne Boatwright
Sunday, 03(III)/16(XVI)/08(MMVIII)

Meringue jovanilla General Cooking 32 13-03-2008 08:33 PM
Meringue Joan General Cooking 8 07-05-2006 09:16 PM
REC - Meringue Damsel in dis Dress General Cooking 0 28-03-2006 06:42 PM
meringue cookies and almond meringue cookies Bob (this one) General Cooking 3 19-12-2005 01:43 PM
Meringue Pie with Jam cmo Recipes 0 31-12-2004 06:31 PM