Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Shipping cast iron cookware to Australia

I am planning to purchase some cast iron cookware items from US, but
suppliers do not seem to want to ship to Australia, anyone experienced this?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 May 2006 16:55:58 +1000, "Bazza" >
wrote:

>I am planning to purchase some cast iron cookware items from US, but
>suppliers do not seem to want to ship to Australia, anyone experienced this?

Why dont you spend that bit extra and get the enamel-coated cast iron
(le Crousset or similar). They are safe and retain heat wonderfully
and can cook food at very high termperatures. I like the idea of
starting to cook on the cooktop and then transferring to the oven.

I also have a Copco (Swedish or Scandinavian) Dutch oven type
oven-proof casserole type cooking dish that can be used on a cooktop
and then transferred to the oven. I am not sure of the name - but
it is black and is guaranteed for life! It will probably outlive me!

I just love it. It sears meat a very high temperatures and cooks
meals like curries very very well.

Daisy

Carthage demands an explanation for this insolence!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bazza wrote on 16 May 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> I am planning to purchase some cast iron cookware items from US, but
> suppliers do not seem to want to ship to Australia, anyone experienced
> this?

Yes...And I live in Canada...

--
-Alan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bazza wrote:
> I am planning to purchase some cast iron cookware items from US, but
> suppliers do not seem to want to ship to Australia, anyone experienced this?

Why are you suprised... Australian suppliers do not seem to want to
ship to the US either. Most retail companies won't ship to individuals
out of country, how can they gaurantee payment? Payment (and
*substantial* shipping costs) would need to be secured in advance, and
they'd need to exchange foriegn funds, and deal with import-export
tarrifs... most companies are not willing to get involved as they
really don't have any legal clout if someone refuses to pay, and/or
return merchandise. Besides, most cast iron is produced in Asia and
Europe, so the same products are available directly from Australian
purveyers, because they import the same as the US. For any item
falling outside of that catagory you'd best secure a friend who will
ship privately. I'm sure you can find someone who you can arrrange
with in the US who will agree to ship your cookware if you agree to
pay. Be aware though, that shipping cast iron cookware from the US to
Australia can cost as much if not more than the cost of the cookware.

And as you say, you're only "*planning* to purchase"... you don't sound
too sure of yourself, I'd be leary of getting involved with a business
transaction with you too... especially not some bloke so untrusting
that they ID themself as Big Bazza from down under and with a munged
email yet... too funny to take seriously. <G>

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
> Bazza wrote on 16 May 2006 in rec.food.cooking
>
> > I am planning to purchase some cast iron cookware items from US, but
> > suppliers do not seem to want to ship to Australia, anyone experienced
> > this?
> >

> Yes...And I live in Canada...

Are you saying that Canadian purveyers won't ship to Australia either,
I'm not surprised.
But I've not experienced where Canadian businesses won't ship to me in
the US... I think there is better reciprocity with credit card
companies between the US and Canadian banks than with Australian banks.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bazza wrote:
> I am planning to purchase some cast iron cookware items from US, but
> suppliers do not seem to want to ship to Australia, anyone experienced this?

Maybe you have already seen these, but here are some Australian links
that sell cast iron cookwa

http://www.campco.com.au/18-cook.html

http://www.grangerscampingworld.com.au/default.htm

http://www.homecouture.com.au/index....dSubCategory=4

http://www.weddinglistcompany.com.au...ts.asp?dept=19

http://www.kookaburragas.com.au/foodware_skillets.htm

http://www.kookaburragas.com.au/foodware_campovens.htm

http://www.agashopaustralia.com/NewF.../tradcast.html

http://www.davebensoncaravans.com.au... parent4id=315

http://www.yourhabitat.com.au/habita...splay=products

http://centre.net.au/index.html?cat=...0008LS&it=prod

-Rusty

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
> > Bazza wrote on 16 May 2006 in rec.food.cooking
> >
> > > I am planning to purchase some cast iron cookware items from US, but
> > > suppliers do not seem to want to ship to Australia, anyone experienced
> > > this?
> > >

> > Yes...And I live in Canada...

> Are you saying that Canadian purveyers won't ship to Australia either,
> I'm not surprised.
> But I've not experienced where Canadian businesses won't ship to me in
> the US... I think there is better reciprocity with credit card
> companies between the US and Canadian banks than with Australian banks.
>
> Sheldon

I ship to Canada all the time...
We use Paypal. ;-)

Works fine.

Australia too.

I agree that, due to the weight, shipping cast iron to Australia (or
England) would cost more than the cookware.

But, if he were willing to pay the shipping, I'd ship it.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bazza" > wrote in message
>I am planning to purchase some cast iron cookware items from US, but
> suppliers do not seem to want to ship to Australia, anyone experienced
> this?

Can't say that I blame them. Unless they do a big business shipping things
to other countries, the paperwork alone can be a nightmare. Shipping costs
normally increase based on distance and weight, so just plain shipping is
pricey. And if there are tariffs or import fees or whatever as the stuff
crosses borders, not to mention delays in customs...well, the whole thing
ends up being more time and money than anyone wants to deal with.

If the company regularly ships to other countries, they have methods in
place to deal with the red tape. But to do it once or twice for just a few
customers, I don't think anyone's going to be real thrilled about the
process. And if they've looked into it once, they probably realize that
people aren't going to want to pay they shipping costs, so why bother even
trying.

You might be better off finding someone in the US who is willing to buy the
stuff for you and ship it to you as a gift or whatever. But still, be
prepared to pay a lot for shipping.

Good luck...

Donna

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote on 16 May 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
> > Bazza wrote on 16 May 2006 in rec.food.cooking
> >
> > > I am planning to purchase some cast iron cookware items from US,
> > > but suppliers do not seem to want to ship to Australia, anyone
> > > experienced this?
> > >

> > Yes...And I live in Canada...

> Are you saying that Canadian purveyers won't ship to Australia either,
> I'm not surprised.
> But I've not experienced where Canadian businesses won't ship to me in
> the US... I think there is better reciprocity with credit card
> companies between the US and Canadian banks than with Australian
> banks.
>
> Sheldon

I'm saying some US purveyers won't ship to me in Canada. Certain
items...such as cookware...others in the US will...Example Amazon won't
ship me cookware...But I did get a wok from a San Fran shop.

--
-Alan