Old 21-12-2004, 10:32 PM

Default Best Cast Iron Cookware Brand

I am thinking about buying a new set of Cast Iron Cookware . I am
completely new to this. I want to get a good brand, not too heavy,
affordable set. Any ideas ?

Old 21-12-2004, 10:55 PM
Pizen

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am thinking about buying a new set of Cast Iron Cookware . I am
completely new to this. I want to get a good brand, not too heavy,
affordable set. Any ideas ?

Lodge is what I use. Cheaper yet - peruse garage and yard sales.
People are all the time putting out good cast iron cookware out for
sale, and you might find a real bargain.

--
"Life is hard. Life is harder when
you're stupid". - John Wayne

"Politics is war without bloodshed while
war is politics with bloodshed" - Mao Zedong

'99 FLHRCI

Old 21-12-2004, 11:29 PM
Goomba38

Chris De Young wrote:

Unless you're looking for enameled cast iron? That's a bit of a
different beast, and quite a bit more expensive as I recall.

Cheers,
-Chris

I love my Le Creuset dutch oven. I don't care for
plain cast iron but love the enameled stuff. It
certainly does heat nicely and the lovely color
just cheers me every time I see or use it.
Goomba

Old 21-12-2004, 11:44 PM
Vox Humana

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am thinking about buying a new set of Cast Iron Cookware . I am
completely new to this. I want to get a good brand, not too heavy,
affordable set. Any ideas ?

Light cast iron is an oxymoron. I would just go to your favorite discount
store and buy what they have that meets your needs. I don't know what one
would consider a "set" of cast iron. The only pices that come to minde are
skillets, grill pans, and dutch ovens. I love my big cast iron skillet!

Old 22-12-2004, 12:34 AM
Wazza

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am thinking about buying a new set of Cast Iron Cookware . I am
completely new to this. I want to get a good brand, not too heavy,
affordable set. Any ideas ?

cast iron......heavy
rain.......wet
fire......hot
whale......large
snow....cold

get the picture ;?)

It really doesn't matter which brand, what matters is how you look after it.
I only use cast iron, BTW, except for a small omelette pan, which is
non-stick, as my original cast iron one cracked open. It was over 30 years
old!! :-(
cheers
Wazza

Old 22-12-2004, 12:40 AM
Levelwave©

Jessica V. wrote:

FWIW I've seen dramatic differances in price on Lodge cookware depending
on where it is being sold. LL Bean & Williams-Sonoma sell it but the
exact same piece can be had a smallish kitchen shops and big box
retailers for less .

Lodge can be found in most Walmarts for dirty cheap... You should never
pay more than $10 bucks for a 10" skillet. Amazon also sells Lodge and
offers free shipping on orders over $25, which for cast iron, is a bargain.

~john
Old 22-12-2004, 09:28 AM
Katra

"Wazza" wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am thinking about buying a new set of Cast Iron Cookware . I am
completely new to this. I want to get a good brand, not too heavy,
affordable set. Any ideas ?

cast iron......heavy
rain.......wet
fire......hot
whale......large
snow....cold

get the picture ;?)

It really doesn't matter which brand, what matters is how you look after it.
I only use cast iron, BTW, except for a small omelette pan, which is
non-stick, as my original cast iron one cracked open. It was over 30 years
old!! :-(
cheers
Wazza

Uhn. Seriously, at least try hefting a Griswold.
I can easily handle my #10 with one hand, lifting it up to dump stuff
into a bowl and scraping it out with a spatula held in the opposite hand.

It really is a LOT lighter than the modern stuff.

I've heard that Wagner is every bit as good, but I've not owned one so
really cannot comment on the differences between Wagner and Griswold.
--
K.