Posted to rec.food.equipment
Jaclyn

Default Question about cast-iron cookware

First I want to thank everyone for their helpful replies to my first
post, about trying to decide on a brand of cookware.

I've noticed on this newsgroup, as well as several message boards on the
web, people often recommend a cast-iron frying pan and a cast-iron dutch
oven as pieces of essential kitchen equipment. I've never used cast-iron
before, so I hope you don't mind my asking, why is this so highly
recommended? Is it better than other materials, for these two cookware
items?

I usually stay away from non-stick cookware, but was thinking of getting
a non-stick pan just for scrambing eggs. Would a cast-iron pan be better
for this purpose? Also, I've heard about how you have to "season" your
pan, which also makes it almost like nonstick. But if you're not
supposed to use soap to clean the pan (because it will ruin the
seasoning) how do you clean it when you are done cooking?

Thanks again.

-Jaclyn
Posted to rec.food.equipment
Jaclyn

Oops, I forgot to include this in my original post:

When using seasoned cast-iron cookware, do you have to stay away from
using metal utensils, as with regular non-stick? I thought I heard
somewhere that metal utensils could scrape off the seasoning, but I
don't remember where I heard it.

-Jaclyn
Posted to rec.food.equipment
Norvin

Jaclyn wrote:
> Oops, I forgot to include this in my original post:
>
> When using seasoned cast-iron cookware, do you have to stay away from
> using metal utensils, as with regular non-stick? I thought I heard
> somewhere that metal utensils could scrape off the seasoning, but I
> don't remember where I heard it.
>
> -Jaclyn

We have been using cast-iron dutch oven for years and we can use any
utensil we want. Everybody says that you should not use soap to clean
but we do and have had no problems with it. Our dutch oven over the
years has become very "non-stick". When we wash it we make sure that it
gets heated up enough to dry the water out and then we applied a tbsp or
two of oil and spread over the entire surface. Cast-iron will not wear
out or loose their seasoning if treated right. Non-stick pan is good for
eggs etc.
Posted to rec.food.equipment
Edwin Pawlowski

"Jaclyn" > wrote in message

I've never used cast-iron
> before, so I hope you don't mind my asking, why is this so highly
> recommended? Is it better than other materials, for these two cookware
> items?

It will distribute and hold heat well. It is durable, bowns food well, can
double as a roasting pan and goes right in the oven. The Dutch oven is
super for pot roast. PUt meatloaf in the cunder, cut up some potatoes and
place around the moundof meat. Put in a 350 degree oven for about an hour
and dinnere is done.

> I usually stay away from non-stick cookware, but was thinking of getting a
> non-stick pan just for scrambing eggs. Would a cast-iron pan be better for
> this purpose?

It will work OK, but I use a Teflon coated pan for eggs most times.

> Also, I've heard about how you have to "season" your pan, which also makes
> it almost like nonstick. But if you're not supposed to use soap to clean
> the pan (because it will ruin the seasoning) how do you clean it when you
> are done cooking?

Hot water and a paper towel does 90% of it. If you have stuff stuck on the
bottom, put water in the an and let it sit a few hours, then hot water and a
paper towel, or one of those green scrubbie things.

To answer your other question posted we use metal utensils all the time.

The seasoning is what happens wien the oils from cooking polymerize in the
pan and make a durable coating.

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Vox Humana

"Jaclyn" > wrote in message
> First I want to thank everyone for their helpful replies to my first
> post, about trying to decide on a brand of cookware.
>
> I've noticed on this newsgroup, as well as several message boards on the
> web, people often recommend a cast-iron frying pan and a cast-iron dutch
> oven as pieces of essential kitchen equipment. I've never used cast-iron
> before, so I hope you don't mind my asking, why is this so highly
> recommended? Is it better than other materials, for these two cookware
> items?
>
> I usually stay away from non-stick cookware, but was thinking of getting
> a non-stick pan just for scrambing eggs. Would a cast-iron pan be better
> for this purpose? Also, I've heard about how you have to "season" your
> pan, which also makes it almost like nonstick. But if you're not
> supposed to use soap to clean the pan (because it will ruin the
> seasoning) how do you clean it when you are done cooking?

I use my cast iron skillet more than any other piece of cookware. You can
get it smoking hot and it holds the heat well because of the large mass.
That makes it great for searing meat or frying chicken. Once it is well
seasoned, you just need to rinse it. The food will slide right out. In the
unlikely event that something sticks, you can use coarse salt as an
abrasive. I generally put mine in the skink and spray it with water,
scrubbing with my dish brush. I wipe it dry with a towel and put it on the
stove where I heat it for a few minutes to make sure it is totally dry. I
wipe it with oil and store it in the oven. You really should get a cast
iron skillet regardless of whether you make eggs it in or not. They aren't
expensive.

As for the Dutch oven, I would consider getting a porcelain lined cast iron
piece. You will be using that for braising which often uses an acid like
wine or tomatoes. The lining will prevent the iron from reacting with the
acid. While this isn't dangerous, it may cause a perceptible flavor. That
piece is likely to be expensive, so it may be something for your "wish
list."

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Vox Humana

"Jaclyn" > wrote in message
> Oops, I forgot to include this in my original post:
>
> When using seasoned cast-iron cookware, do you have to stay away from
> using metal utensils, as with regular non-stick? I thought I heard
> somewhere that metal utensils could scrape off the seasoning, but I
> don't remember where I heard it.

You can use metal with cast iron. That said, I prefer wooden spoons. I use
them will all of my cookware, not to preserve the pans but because they are
comfortable, quiet, and stay cool. I have had the same wooden spoons for
years and I put them in the dishwasher which is not generally recommended.

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Patti Beadles

In article >,
Vox Humana > wrote:

>I have had the same wooden spoons for
>years and I put them in the dishwasher which is not generally recommended.

Me too. I decided that it was worth spending a couple bucks every
couple of years to replace a few wooden spoons, rather than having
to mess with hand-washing them. After three and a half years, mine
are starting to look a touch ratty from the dishwasher.

-Patti
--
Patti Beadles, Oakland, CA |
pattib~pattib.org | Check out the Dating Horrors blog:
Posted to rec.food.equipment
KLS

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 01:43:09 GMT, "Vox Humana" >
wrote to "Jaclyn" > wrote in message
m.:

>I use my cast iron skillet more than any other piece of cookware. You can
>get it smoking hot and it holds the heat well because of the large mass.
>That makes it great for searing meat or frying chicken. Once it is well
>seasoned, you just need to rinse it. The food will slide right out. In the
>unlikely event that something sticks, you can use coarse salt as an
>abrasive. I generally put mine in the skink and spray it with water,
>scrubbing with my dish brush. I wipe it dry with a towel and put it on the
>stove where I heat it for a few minutes to make sure it is totally dry. I
>wipe it with oil and store it in the oven. You really should get a cast
>iron skillet regardless of whether you make eggs it in or not. They aren't
>expensive.

I also have a couple of cast iron skillets (via my sweetie, a Southern
belle whose mother passed these on to her), but we don't use them much
because I grill a lot and when we do eggs, we use the cheap T-Fal
nonstick frypan we bought just for that purpose (it's nearing the end
of its life after 3 years, and it's the ONLY nonstick item in our
repertoire of cookware). Good info here, though, that may motivate me
to try using ours more, but likely not, unless they're good for fish,
which I doubt.

>As for the Dutch oven, I would consider getting a porcelain lined cast iron
>piece. You will be using that for braising which often uses an acid like
>wine or tomatoes. The lining will prevent the iron from reacting with the
>acid. While this isn't dangerous, it may cause a perceptible flavor. That
>piece is likely to be expensive, so it may be something for your "wish
>list."

Now, *THIS* is the single piece of cookware I could not live without.
I use our 8.75 qt Le Creuset French oven for just about everything (I
also have a 5.5 qt size and a 4.5 qt), but then again, I'm partial to
gumbos, roasts, stews, risottos, and that kind of all-in-one meal. I
don't do presentations well, but I feed people well.

If you decide to splurge on one (and you like stews and that sort of
one-pot meal), check out Caplan Duval in Montreal if TJMaxx doesn't
have pieces in sizes you want:
http://www.caplanduval2000.com/le_creuset.html
Posted to rec.food.equipment
Vox Humana

"KLS" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 01:43:09 GMT, "Vox Humana" >
> wrote to "Jaclyn" > wrote in message
> m.:

> I also have a couple of cast iron skillets (via my sweetie, a Southern
> belle whose mother passed these on to her), but we don't use them much
> because I grill a lot and when we do eggs, we use the cheap T-Fal
> nonstick frypan we bought just for that purpose (it's nearing the end
> of its life after 3 years, and it's the ONLY nonstick item in our
> repertoire of cookware). Good info here, though, that may motivate me
> to try using ours more, but likely not, unless they're good for fish,
> which I doubt.

I like cast iron for things that need to be cooked quickly in a smoking hot
pan, or things that need to be cooked very slowly. You could use the pan
for fish, particularly thick fillets or steaks of oily fish like salmon. I
tend to heat my pan quite hot, sear the fish, poultry, or meat on one side,
turn the food, and then place the skillet into a very hot oven for about 5 -
7 minutes to finish - depending on the thickness of the food. Of course
this wouldn't work for thin, delicate pieces of fish.

Posted to rec.food.equipment
MrMercutio

A cast iron cookware is like having a pan shaped plate. The pan soaks
up heat and then retains it well and evenly, allowing excellent
temperature control - stainless steel and aluminium cookware disperse
its heat very quickly. You just have to remove them from the plate for
a minute. A cast iron pot or pan looses its heat slowly. For that
reason it is very useful.

Second, it is metal against metal, as regards utensils. A metal fork
won't harm a cast iron pot because the cast iron is pure metal. There's
no metal or material coating that you can damage. There can be an oil
coating, but that can be improved.

Anyway, you can always use wooden utensils instead of metal.

/B
http://shop.northern-home.com
bjorn (at) northern home dot com

Posted to rec.food.equipment
S Viemeister

Patti Beadles wrote:

> In article >,
> Vox Humana > wrote:
>
> >I have had the same wooden spoons for
> >years and I put them in the dishwasher which is not generally recommended.

> Me too. I decided that it was worth spending a couple bucks every
> couple of years to replace a few wooden spoons, rather than having
> to mess with hand-washing them. After three and a half years, mine
> are starting to look a touch ratty from the dishwasher.

I've switched to bamboo tools - they show no damage at all, from _years_ of
daily dishwashering.

Sheila
Posted to rec.food.equipment
Bob Giel

First, I must recommend going to the following site for great info and the
only proper instructions I have ever seen on cast iron cookware seasoning
and care.

http://www.melindalee.com/Cast-Iron.html

I don't know if any disclaimer is needed, but I have nothing to do with the
site, except my enjoyment of it.

Cast iron has fantastic properties, even without the enamel version, which
is superior for some foods and preparation. Cast iron can go from stove top
to oven, or over a campfire, or directly in the coals, or on the BBQ
instantly, with no fear of harming plastic or wooden handles. Properly
cured, it is every bit as non-stick as the modern and potentially harmful,
(see last paragraph below) plastic coating in vogue today. The good thermal
properties of cast iron result in even distribution of heat, and the ability
to hold heat well.

Properly maintained cast iron cookware can be, and has been, handed down
from generation to generation, and it actually improves with age and use.
The little known secret of cast iron cookware is that the "non-stick"
surface is good old fashioned carbon! The instructions that come with most
cast iron cookware (sometimes molded into the bottom of a pan) is simply not
good enough. The right way (as seen at the link given above) takes some
time, effort, and very high heat. I guess most manufacturers don't think
consumers are willing to put in that effort when they can just go out and
buy plastic coated cookware. I can tell you there is NO comparison,
however. The little effort and time are well rewarded with years
(generations) of fantastic culinary service.. If you see any signs of rust,
the carbon is gone from that location and it needs to be cleaned and
re-seasoned/cured.

On the "negative side" [You didn't really think there wouldn't be some did
you?)cast iron, unlike its steel counterparts, can be sensitive to thermal
shock. Cast iron is "brittle" compared to most other metals, and any
imperfection in the casting (there always is at least one) will eventually
show up if the vessel is subjected to very quick and/or one sided thermal
shock. If you must cool off a cast iron vessel, use the hottest water
possible on all sides (in and out) to minimize this thermal shock. Think,
cheap thick glass, and you'll get the idea. You would NEVER want to place a
really hot cast iron vessel under a stream of cold water from the tap. It
may not crack the first time, the second time, or even the thousandth time,
but it will crack eventually.

Second down side, don't drop it. It will not bend, it will either survive
or crack into two or more pieces. The only thing to do after that is
discard a good and faithful friend (the pan) and buy a replacement. Still a
bargain, however.

As mentioned above, one of the reasons cast iron is so good is its ability
to hold heat and distribute it evenly throughout the cooking vessel. Some
of that property comes from its mass, so cast iron cookware is much heavier
than its steel counterparts. Personally, I like the feel, but it could be a
problem for folks with physical limitations or limited strength. You can
heft the thing when you buy it. Just don't think the average 9 or 90-year
old is going to flip pancakes without a spatula. (If you put popcorn in the
batter would they turn themselves over? <Big Grin>) Using any cast iron pan
over 9-inches is weight training in disguise, and I have a few fry pans in
the 16 inches range that require two strong arms just to get out of the
cupboard and on the stove. Fantastic, but not light. Of course, a good
Dutch Oven is even heavier than that and a good cast iron lid may weigh
almost as much as the pan.

Soap is NOT the problem is once was believed. Soap does NOT harm a well
cured carbon surface, but scouring pads (metal or plastic) can rub through
before you know it.

Fortunately, in most cases, once cured properly the vessel can be wiped
clean with a cloth or paper towel. If you have a more stubborn situation,
(yes, you can make food stick and burn even a perfectly seasoned and cured
pan) the best way I have found is to place some salt and vegetable oil into
the pan and scour lightly using a paper towel. When finished, just rinse
with warm water and you are good to go.

Even if you screw up the nice black carbon cooking surface, it's just not
that big a deal to cure it again.

No two cast iron pots or pans are alike because they are usually made from a
one-shot mold, so the surface can be smoother or rougher on one pan than
another. Try to select the smoothest surface you can find. The surface
will eventually wear down but it takes years of cooking and some
aggravation. When I find a pot too rough, I literally sand it down using an
orbital sander and lots of sandpaper in sequentially finer grades, until the
cooking surface is smooth. This can take minutes or hours, but is well
worth the effort and can be done while watching TV or listening to good
music. In essence this replaces years of scraping and re-seasoning.
Remember you are cooking on carbon, not the metal itself, so unless the
carbon is strong and thick enough to fill the little imperfections, you will
be constantly removing the very surface you want to keep. If you start with
a nice smooth surface and then cure it, all these problems are avoided and
the fantastic pleasures of cast iron cooking will be yours quickly and for
years to come. If it were metal on metal (as suggested in this thread) you
would have horrible rusting problems as cast iron rusts about as fast as you
can say, "Yeech!"

A vital note for anyone with a pet bird: If over-heated, (it only takes one
moment of distraction like a short phone call or a screaming baby) non-stick
plastic coatings like Teflon (TM) et al, give off fumes which are extremely
toxic to birds. The result is a particularly horrible death for any bird,
unlucky enough to breath it in. The effects can be slow, and really nasty
after just one breath. Since my extended family has pet birds, you will not
find any of these potentially deadly "non-stick" plastics in our homes.

I know this is long, but I hope it is helpful.

Bob

Los Angeles, Calif.

<Original post snipped to save space because this is too long all by
itself!>

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Gordon Airporte

Pardon my hijacking, but I have a cast-iron question. I tried to cook
pancakes in my (new, first) cast-iron skillet today and they were
seriously unevenly browned. You could tell right were the burner flame was.
Is this not an appropriate use, or was it something I did like not
letting it heat up long enough? Perhaps I didn't properly take into
account the extra mass. Or maybe the base is just too thin to avoid
hotspots, which I'd expect to hurt it for all kinds of cooking.

--
My spelling is really atrocious.
Posted to rec.food.equipment
Edwin Pawlowski

"Gordon Airporte" > wrote in message
> Pardon my hijacking, but I have a cast-iron question. I tried to cook
> pancakes in my (new, first) cast-iron skillet today and they were
> seriously unevenly browned. You could tell right were the burner flame
> was.
> Is this not an appropriate use, or was it something I did like not letting
> it heat up long enough? Perhaps I didn't properly take into account the
> extra mass. Or maybe the base is just too thin to avoid hotspots, which
> I'd expect to hurt it for all kinds of cooking.

Try a little less heat and more time to warm up before putting the first
batch in. I have seen that on mine when I use high heat as the center will
get hotter.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Jaclyn wrote:
> First I want to thank everyone for their helpful replies to my first
> post, about trying to decide on a brand of cookware.
>
> I've noticed on this newsgroup, as well as several message boards on the
> web, people often recommend a cast-iron frying pan and a cast-iron dutch
> oven as pieces of essential kitchen equipment. I've never used cast-iron
> before, so I hope you don't mind my asking, why is this so highly
> recommended? Is it better than other materials, for these two cookware
> items?
>
> I usually stay away from non-stick cookware, but was thinking of getting
> a non-stick pan just for scrambing eggs. Would a cast-iron pan be better
> for this purpose? Also, I've heard about how you have to "season" your
> pan, which also makes it almost like nonstick. But if you're not
> supposed to use soap to clean the pan (because it will ruin the
> seasoning) how do you clean it when you are done cooking?
>
> Thanks again.
>
> -Jaclyn

Clean cast iron only as much as needed, no more. Don't use soap.
Avoid cooking with acids, alcohols, or other degreasers. Cast iron is
designed to be oil-based cookware. Usually hot water and a brush will
clean properly seasoned. If some food is hard to get out, get water in
the pan hotter on a burner until the food gives way under a brush. The
cooktop is the most underutilized cleaning instrument in the kitchen.
Again, the less you clean it, the better. It will avoid thinning the
seasoned coating.

Secondly, when you season the pan, most cast-iron enthusiasts have
learned that higher temperature seasonings produces better results,
without the sticky, gummy coating that you get from the woefully
inadequate instructions that come from the manufacturers. You'll have
a little more smoke seasoning at 425F-450F, but the results are vastly
better. Vary the temperature with the smoking point of the oil you
use. I like the results peanut oil give.

It's nice to have a non-stick piece of cookware that is renewable, can
take high heat (broiling), and doesn't give off toxic chemicals. Its
weight is a drawback, but it reduces hotspots.

Wood utensils just feel better on cast iron.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

I am just saving this great thread.

Posted to rec.food.equipment
jes

What I want to toss out is: looks. Cast iron will look the same 50
yrs. from now when you pass it on to your heirs. Black. If nothing
else, that's a bonefide bargain!

My stainless steel cookware looks terrible. It didn't survive my
absentmindeness very well. It functions so I don't toss it out, but it
is unsightly.

Teflon coated have a limited life, and it's not anywhere near the 50
yrs. I gave up on the costly ones and the $3. from Ikea is at the end
of its useful life. Who cares if it got scorched on the campfire.
It's recyclable.

I particularly like my cast iron griddle pans. They have ridges so the
fat drains off.

You might look at Lodge's website.

Joan

** Don't lead me into temptation. I can find it all by myself. **

Posted to rec.food.equipment
P.Aitken

jes wrote:

> What I want to toss out is: looks. Cast iron will look the same 50
> yrs. from now when you pass it on to your heirs. Black. If nothing
> else, that's a bonefide bargain!

Why on earth would anyone care what their pans will look like in 50
years????? Maybe if you are 10 years old, but ... really!

Peter

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Vox Humana

"jes" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> What I want to toss out is: looks. Cast iron will look the same 50
> yrs. from now when you pass it on to your heirs. Black. If nothing
> else, that's a bonefide bargain!
>
> My stainless steel cookware looks terrible. It didn't survive my
> absentmindeness very well. It functions so I don't toss it out, but it
> is unsightly.

If your SS cookware looks bad because it has a build-up of varnish-like
coating on it, then you can restore it to like-new condition. Eighteen-ten
stainless can be cleaned with oven cleaner. I have the best results with
Easy-Off Heavy Duty cleaner in the yellow can (not the fume-free in the blue
can.) Put the cookware in a garbage bag, spray with oven cleaner, close the
bag, and let it sit over night. The next day you should be able to rinse it
clean. Any stubborn spots can be cleaned with Bar Keeper's Friend and a
Scotchbright pad. Don't use oven cleaner on aluminum, non-stick coatings,
or painted surfaces.

Posted to rec.food.equipment
jes

> Why on earth would anyone care what their pans will look like in 50
> years????? Maybe if you are 10 years old, but ... really!
>
> Peter

Me. I've been married 51 years! And I'm still using things from
early on. My ironing board is wood -- probably from the 1920s -- it
came from someone who gave up housekeeping because she was too old!
;-).

Joan

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Matthew L. Martin

P.Aitken wrote:

> jes wrote:
>
>> What I want to toss out is: looks. Cast iron will look the same 50
>> yrs. from now when you pass it on to your heirs. Black. If nothing
>> else, that's a bonefide bargain!

> Why on earth would anyone care what their pans will look like in 50
> years????? Maybe if you are 10 years old, but ... really!

Not that I care very much about how they look, but some of my magnalite
brand pans are more than 50 years old.

Matthew

--
What if you arrived at the fountain of youth, only to find dead toddlers
floating in the pond? -- John O on AFB
Posted to rec.food.equipment
Vox Humana

"Matthew L. Martin" > wrote in message
> P.Aitken wrote:
>>

>> jes wrote:
>>
>>> What I want to toss out is: looks. Cast iron will look the same 50
>>> yrs. from now when you pass it on to your heirs. Black. If nothing
>>> else, that's a bonefide bargain!

>> Why on earth would anyone care what their pans will look like in 50
>> years????? Maybe if you are 10 years old, but ... really!
>>

> Not that I care very much about how they look, but some of my magnalite
> brand pans are more than 50 years old.

I was using a set of Magnalite cookware for 25 years before I switched to
stainless. I much prefer the stainless. The Magnalite has wooden handles
and couldn't go under the broiler or into a very hot oven. Also, the
interiors were a bit rough (probably from going into the dishwasher) and
things tended to stick. They were a gift and I really got a lot of use from
them. I can't part with them so they take up space on a shelf in the
basement.

Posted to rec.food.equipment
wff_ng_7

"P.Aitken" > wrote:
> Why on earth would anyone care what their pans will look like in 50
> years????? Maybe if you are 10 years old, but ... really!

There's other ways off looking at that... it's not necessarily that the
original purchaser will be using it in 50 years, but that someone may be
using it in 50 years. I'm not one for wasting resources unnecessarily. If I
can buy something that will last a very long time, or keep something
operational for an extended period by treating it gently and putting some
minor effort into repairs, I consider that a plus.

Among the things I use regularly are a 70 year old cast iron chicken fryer,
a 70 year old #8 cast iron skillet and a 50 year old #10 cast iron skillet.
The first two I got second hand for the same or less than current Lodge
products, the last I inherited from my father. Those are three items that
didn't require any of today's resources to manufacture. Waste not, want not.

--
( #wff_ng_7# at #verizon# period #net# )

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Vox Humana wrote:
> "Matthew L. Martin" > wrote in message
>> P.Aitken wrote:

>>> Why on earth would anyone care what their pans will look like in 50
>>> years????? Maybe if you are 10 years old, but ... really!
>>>

>> Not that I care very much about how they look, but some of my magnalite
>> brand pans are more than 50 years old.

> I was using a set of Magnalite cookware for 25 years before I switched to
> stainless. I much prefer the stainless. The Magnalite has wooden handles
> and couldn't go under the broiler or into a very hot oven. Also, the
> interiors were a bit rough (probably from going into the dishwasher) and
> things tended to stick. They were a gift and I really got a lot of use from
> them. I can't part with them so they take up space on a shelf in the
> basement.

You must have had the Magnalite Professional. The Classic Magnalite has
bakelite handles. They can't go under a broiler, but they can go into a
375F oven. I really don't care all that much how they look I find they
excellent for cooking.

I never polish my copper pans, either.

Matthew

--
What if you arrived at the fountain of youth, only to find dead toddlers
floating in the pond? -- John O on AFB
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"wff_ng_7" > wrote in message
> "P.Aitken" > wrote:
>> Why on earth would anyone care what their pans will look like in 50
>> years????? Maybe if you are 10 years old, but ... really!

> There's other ways off looking at that... it's not necessarily that the
> original purchaser will be using it in 50 years, but that someone may be
> using it in 50 years. I'm not one for wasting resources unnecessarily. If
> I can buy something that will last a very long time, or keep something
> operational for an extended period by treating it gently and putting some
> minor effort into repairs, I consider that a plus.
>
> Among the things I use regularly are a 70 year old cast iron chicken
> fryer, a 70 year old #8 cast iron skillet and a 50 year old #10 cast iron
> skillet. The first two I got second hand for the same or less than current
> Lodge products, the last I inherited from my father. Those are three items
> that didn't require any of today's resources to manufacture. Waste not,
> want not.

I appreciate what you are saying, and I too get enjoyment from using things
that are old and have lasted a long time. But that's not the point I was
making - if something lasts 50 years, great, but I think it's strange to
make that a factor in your purchase decision. Pots are tools, and tools wear
out.

--
Peter Aitken

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On 7 Jan 2006 05:20:39 -0800, "MrMercutio"
> wrote:

>The pan soaks
>up heat and then retains it well and evenly, allowing excellent
>temperature control

Howdy,

Perhaps I am misinterpreting something, but what you have
written seems to be the opposite of "excellent temperature
control."

With (for example) a copper pan, if you turn off the heat,
the pan starts to cool very rapidly. If you increase the
heat, the pan responds.

With cast iron, there is a long lag between adjusting the
heat source, and seeing the results in the pan.

There are significant advantages to cast iron that have been
mentioned by others, but "allowing excellent temperature
control" is not one of its virtues.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 01:06:14 GMT, Norvin
> wrote:

>Everybody says that you should not use soap to clean
>but we do and have had no problems with it.

Howdy,

You know that you are treading on dangerous religious ground
with that comment...<g>

I will tread further...

A few years ago, Consumers Reports did a piece on cookware
that included cast iron.

One of the things they said was that with regard to
non-stick properties, they could tell no difference between
newly purchased cast iron pans and pans lovingly seasoned
and passed down for generations.

That has been my experience as well:

When the temperature is right, things tend not to stick,
when it is wrong, they often stick like glue.

I actually use cast iron rarely, but use French steel omelet
pans very frequently. The same thing applies. It I preheat
them properly, put in some butter, and put the eggs in,
within a few seconds, they slide from the pan with a shake
of the handle.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message

> I appreciate what you are saying, and I too get enjoyment from using
> things that are old and have lasted a long time. But that's not the point
> I was making - if something lasts 50 years, great, but I think it's
> strange to make that a factor in your purchase decision. Pots are tools,
> and tools wear out.

But like most tools, the better ones last longer and are a joy to use along
the way. While 50 years expectation is not a reasonable factor, certainly
10 or 20 may be compared to one year with a cheap pan. There is a curve of
cost and life use and a factor for performance that is considered when we
make most purchases even if it is not a formal written process. .

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> "Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
> >
> > I appreciate what you are saying, and I too get enjoyment from using
> > things that are old and have lasted a long time. But that's not the point
> > I was making - if something lasts 50 years, great, but I think it's
> > strange to make that a factor in your purchase decision. Pots are tools,
> > and tools wear out.

> But like most tools, the better ones last longer and are a joy to use along
> the way. While 50 years expectation is not a reasonable factor, certainly
> 10 or 20 may be compared to one year with a cheap pan. There is a curve of
> cost and life use and a factor for performance that is considered when we
> make most purchases even if it is not a formal written process. .

We have an iron skillet from my wife's grandmother that I bet has to be
at least 20 years old. I think durable and dependable cookware and how
well it lends itself to the "heirloom factor" should be considered when
looking at pots and pans. I don't use that test with everything I buy,
but I do with bigger cookware purchases.

We still use the cast iron skillet all the time.

--
http://pansandmore.com
Cookware, Bakeware, and Kitchen Reviews

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On 6 Feb 2006 06:40:31 -0800, wrote:

>We have an iron skillet from my wife's grandmother that I bet has to be
>at least 20 years old.

If your wife's grandmother is *anywhere near* 20 years old, you're in serious
trouble with the law, son...

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 19:42:02 -0500, Jaclyn >
wrote:

>First I want to thank everyone for their helpful replies to my first
>post, about trying to decide on a brand of cookware.
>
>I've noticed on this newsgroup, as well as several message boards on the
>web, people often recommend a cast-iron frying pan and a cast-iron dutch
>oven as pieces of essential kitchen equipment. I've never used cast-iron
>before, so I hope you don't mind my asking, why is this so highly
>recommended? Is it better than other materials, for these two cookware
>items?
>
>I usually stay away from non-stick cookware, but was thinking of getting
>a non-stick pan just for scrambing eggs. Would a cast-iron pan be better
>for this purpose? Also, I've heard about how you have to "season" your
>pan, which also makes it almost like nonstick. But if you're not
>supposed to use soap to clean the pan (because it will ruin the
>seasoning) how do you clean it when you are done cooking?
>
>Thanks again.
>
>-Jaclyn

Baking soda will clean everything.
Paul...