Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default cast iron cookware

Is there much difference in the cooked food between plain cast-iron
cookware and enameled cast-iron?
--
DreadfulBitch

I'm not a complete idiot. Some parts are missing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/28/2015 5:32 PM, DreadfulBitch wrote:
> Is there much difference in the cooked food between plain cast-iron
> cookware and enameled cast-iron?

Enameled is less likely to stick, otherwise, not so much.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/28/2015 5:43 PM, los Golondrinas wrote:
> On 8/28/2015 5:32 PM, DreadfulBitch wrote:
>> Is there much difference in the cooked food between plain cast-iron
>> cookware and enameled cast-iron?

> Enameled is less likely to stick, otherwise, not so much.

Oh snap - also enameled can take acidic or sugary foods better.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, August 28, 2015 at 4:32:51 PM UTC-7, DreadfulBitch wrote:
> Is there much difference in the cooked food between plain cast-iron
> cookware and enameled cast-iron?

Le Creuset says to use only medium and low heat with its coated pots.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/28/2015 7:32 PM, DreadfulBitch wrote:
> Is there much difference in the cooked food between plain cast-iron
> cookware and enameled cast-iron?

I tend to quickly brown then braise in my enameled cast iron. I
generally make smothered pork chops or something similar. Browned on
the stove top then put in the oven.

Difference in taste? Not really. It's the difference in the cooking
methods and ingredients that matter.

The fun thing about enameled cast iron is it can be used on the stovetop
and also put in the oven.

Mine is Descoware. A very old version of Le Crueset, made in Belgium.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 28/08/2015 6:01 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 8/28/2015 7:32 PM, DreadfulBitch wrote:
>> Is there much difference in the cooked food between plain cast-iron
>> cookware and enameled cast-iron?

> I tend to quickly brown then braise in my enameled cast iron. I
> generally make smothered pork chops or something similar. Browned on
> the stove top then put in the oven.
>
> Difference in taste? Not really. It's the difference in the cooking
> methods and ingredients that matter.
>
> The fun thing about enameled cast iron is it can be used on the stovetop
> and also put in the oven.
>
> Mine is Descoware. A very old version of Le Crueset, made in Belgium.
>
> Jill

Back in the 60s, some tests done in the UK on LeCreuset casseroles found
such nasties as Cadmium in the glazes. Overnight, LeCreuset changed
their formulas to safe ones.
There are a lot of Chinese knock-offs out there. Nobody in their right
minds would trust their glazes!
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/28/15 7:32 PM, DreadfulBitch wrote:
> Is there much difference in the cooked food between plain cast-iron
> cookware and enameled cast-iron?

IMO, the enamel layer is slightly less conductive than the seasoning of
plain cast iron; it has slightly less surface area; and (most
importantly) it doesn't develop the non-stick qualities of plain cast iron.

I have one enameled cast iron pan, and I don't much care for it.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 Aug 2015 17:43:34 -0600, los Golondrinas > wrote:

>On 8/28/2015 5:32 PM, DreadfulBitch wrote:
>> Is there much difference in the cooked food between plain cast-iron
>> cookware and enameled cast-iron?

>Enameled is less likely to stick, otherwise, not so much.

Enameled has those fancy schmancy colors.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/28/2015 7:40 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Aug 2015 17:43:34 -0600, los Golondrinas > wrote:
>
>> On 8/28/2015 5:32 PM, DreadfulBitch wrote:
>>> Is there much difference in the cooked food between plain cast-iron
>>> cookware and enameled cast-iron?

>> Enameled is less likely to stick, otherwise, not so much.

> Enameled has those fancy schmancy colors.

Meh.

It does, but with occasional bubbling over they're just something else
to scrub clean.

I like cast iron plain and simple.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 28/08/2015 9:02 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 8/28/2015 9:19 PM, DreadfulBitch wrote:

>>> Le Creuset is not the only enameled cookware on the planet.
>>>

>> My mother had a complete set of LeCreuset and one point and it was
>> beautiful to look at, but OMG, that stuff weighed a ton! I could
>> tolerate that for a pan or two, but not a complete set. Still trying to
>> decide if I want an dutch oven or skillet. Maybe both with an
>> interchangeable lid.
>>

> I have ancient Descoware, which was bought out by Le Crueset decades
> ago. Yes, it's heavy! I have a large enamel coated skillet with a lid
> that also fits a matching deep pot. I'd call it a stew pot. Sorry, I
> don't feel like getting them out of the cupboard to give you the exact
> measurements.
>
> I like them a lot and they cook very well. But yes, they're extremely
> heavy. I don't know about Le Crueset saying only use on medium or low
> heat. I use these old pots on the stove and can easily transfer them to
> a hot oven. Then again, mine are antiques. Le Crueset probably doesn't
> make 'em like that anymore.
>
> Jill

Le Creuset also sell these neat spatulas with a little hook to get at
the stuff just below the necks of jars:
http://tiny.cc/ua5l2x
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 Aug 2015 18:32:45 -0500, DreadfulBitch
> wrote:

>Is there much difference in the cooked food between plain cast-iron
>cookware and enameled cast-iron?

A well-seasoned non-enamelled pot/pan is more non-stick than
enamelled. Non-enamelled can discolour some foods a little. Other than
those two things, not much difference IMO.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 Aug 2015 20:19:34 -0600, los Golondrinas > wrote:

> I like cast iron plain and simple.

Me too.

--
Elitist Snob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 Aug 2015 21:20:42 -0400, pltrgyst > wrote:

> On 8/28/15 7:32 PM, DreadfulBitch wrote:
> > Is there much difference in the cooked food between plain cast-iron
> > cookware and enameled cast-iron?

> IMO, the enamel layer is slightly less conductive than the seasoning of
> plain cast iron; it has slightly less surface area; and (most
> importantly) it doesn't develop the non-stick qualities of plain cast iron.
>
> I have one enameled cast iron pan, and I don't much care for it.

Me too. Different strokes, I guess. I've never understood the
hoo-ha, but I don't ordinarily start meat cooking on the stove and
finish it in the oven unless it's a pot roast of some kind and my
uncoated cast iron works just fine for that. I don't plop my food in
on the table in a cooking vessel either, so I don't need pretty colors
to match my decor. Basic black is fine.

--
Elitist Snob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

wrote:

> >> Le Creuset says to use only medium and low heat with its coated pots.
> >>

> > Le Creuset is not the only enameled cookware on the planet.
> >

> My mother had a complete set of LeCreuset and one point and it was
> beautiful to look at, but OMG, that stuff weighed a ton! I could
> tolerate that for a pan or two, but not a complete set. Still trying to
> decide if I want an dutch oven or skillet. Maybe both with an
> interchangeable lid.

The le Creuset dutch oven is one of the heavier items, especially when
full. I used one for decades (cooking for big family) but with age and
arthritis my arms/ wrists are not as strong as they used to be, and I
began to worry about dropping the full pot, and now we mostly cook for
two I don't need the volume. I've passed on the dutch oven to the next
generation where it's still going strong and in frequent use. I still
use my smaller enamelled cast iron le Creuset (often) both on the hob
and in the oven. At high and low temps.

I confess I have always used enamelled cast iron le Creusets on and
in very high temperatures (the hottest ring and oven of an Aga) and my
son still does. 30-plus years of this has not damaged their performance
or external appearance at all. The exterior enamel is still "as new" but
the interior is somewhat stained. It's only cosmetic damage; the
interior enamel is still intact.

Because of its weight and heat I'd rarely use any le Creuset cooking
pot to serve food at table, so any cosmetic disadvantage of using it on
high heat is really not worth worrying about IMO. Mine have decades of
use left in them yet.

Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

DreadfulBitch wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Is there much difference in the cooked food between plain cast-iron
> cookware and enameled cast-iron?

Well, depends on what you want. The coated stuff is never 'seasoned'
so will stick. It heat diffuses the same though pretty much.

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Fri, 28 Aug 2015 21:20:42 -0400, pltrgyst > wrote:
>
> > On 8/28/15 7:32 PM, DreadfulBitch wrote:
> > > Is there much difference in the cooked food between plain
> > > cast-iron cookware and enameled cast-iron?

> > IMO, the enamel layer is slightly less conductive than the
> > seasoning of plain cast iron; it has slightly less surface area;
> > and (most importantly) it doesn't develop the non-stick qualities
> > of plain cast iron.
> >
> > I have one enameled cast iron pan, and I don't much care for it.
> >

> Me too. Different strokes, I guess. I've never understood the
> hoo-ha, but I don't ordinarily start meat cooking on the stove and
> finish it in the oven unless it's a pot roast of some kind and my
> uncoated cast iron works just fine for that. I don't plop my food in
> on the table in a cooking vessel either, so I don't need pretty colors
> to match my decor. Basic black is fine.

Same here. I had a cast iron enameled thing but passed it on via the
local yahoo freecycle group years ago. Had no utility in my personal
cookery types. That doesnt mean it doesnt fit others.

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 Aug 2015 23:17:15 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Fri, 28 Aug 2015 21:20:42 -0400, pltrgyst > wrote:
>
>> On 8/28/15 7:32 PM, DreadfulBitch wrote:
>> > Is there much difference in the cooked food between plain cast-iron
>> > cookware and enameled cast-iron?

>> IMO, the enamel layer is slightly less conductive than the seasoning of
>> plain cast iron; it has slightly less surface area; and (most
>> importantly) it doesn't develop the non-stick qualities of plain cast iron.
>>
>> I have one enameled cast iron pan, and I don't much care for it.
>>

>Me too. Different strokes, I guess. I've never understood the
>hoo-ha, but I don't ordinarily start meat cooking on the stove and
>finish it in the oven unless it's a pot roast of some kind and my
>uncoated cast iron works just fine for that. I don't plop my food in
>on the table in a cooking vessel either, so I don't need pretty colors
>to match my decor. Basic black is fine.

It doesn't have to be colorful so that it can be a serving dish. IMO
that is just a tag line some salesman came up with to sell the goods.
Color in the kitchen makes me feel good (or better) about a daily
chore. I don't feel like I am in a prison commissary.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 Aug 2015 09:47:45 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>DreadfulBitch wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> Is there much difference in the cooked food between plain cast-iron
>> cookware and enameled cast-iron?

>Well, depends on what you want. The coated stuff is never 'seasoned'
>so will stick. It heat diffuses the same though pretty much.
>
> Carol

It shouldn't stick because of the enamel. I've only got an enameled
dutch oven that I use for specific kinds of food. I have other plain
cast iron that I use hardly at all. I guess I have a wardrobe of
different pots and pans from years of cooking and I have settled on a
couple things that suit what I cook.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 Aug 2015 21:20:42 -0400, pltrgyst > wrote:

>On 8/28/15 7:32 PM, DreadfulBitch wrote:
>> Is there much difference in the cooked food between plain cast-iron
>> cookware and enameled cast-iron?

>IMO, the enamel layer is slightly less conductive than the seasoning of
>plain cast iron; it has slightly less surface area; and (most
>importantly) it doesn't develop the non-stick qualities of plain cast iron.
>
>I have one enameled cast iron pan, and I don't much care for it.
>
>-- Larry

I like the plain cast iron too! I remember as a Boy Scout watching my
Scout Master cooking Cherry Cobbler on the Campfire in a plain old
cast iron Dutch Oven just sitting it on hot coals. The blacker it
burns the better it cooks!

William

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/29/2015 11:43 AM, Janet B wrote:

> It doesn't have to be colorful so that it can be a serving dish. IMO
> that is just a tag line some salesman came up with to sell the goods.
> Color in the kitchen makes me feel good (or better) about a daily
> chore. I don't feel like I am in a prison commissary.
> Janet US

Or maybe stuck on a Navy ship?

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/29/2015 11:48 AM, Janet B wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Aug 2015 09:47:45 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
>> DreadfulBitch wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>
>>> Is there much difference in the cooked food between plain cast-iron
>>> cookware and enameled cast-iron?

>> Well, depends on what you want. The coated stuff is never 'seasoned'
>> so will stick. It heat diffuses the same though pretty much.
>>
>> Carol

> It shouldn't stick because of the enamel. I've only got an enameled
> dutch oven that I use for specific kinds of food. I have other plain
> cast iron that I use hardly at all. I guess I have a wardrobe of
> different pots and pans from years of cooking and I have settled on a
> couple things that suit what I cook.
> Janet US

My enameled cast iron doesn't stick. Then again, I generally use it
when I'm browning something in oil...

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/29/2015 7:10 AM, Janet wrote:
> Mine have decades of
> use left in them yet.
>
> Janet UK

Heat 'em up and mash your face in.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/29/2015 10:09 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> My enameled cast iron doesn't stick.

Well keep licking it then!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 Aug 2015 09:43:34 -0600, Janet B >
wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Aug 2015 23:17:15 -0700, sf > wrote:
>

> >Me too. Different strokes, I guess. I've never understood the
> >hoo-ha, but I don't ordinarily start meat cooking on the stove and
> >finish it in the oven unless it's a pot roast of some kind and my
> >uncoated cast iron works just fine for that. I don't plop my food in
> >on the table in a cooking vessel either, so I don't need pretty colors
> >to match my decor. Basic black is fine.

> It doesn't have to be colorful so that it can be a serving dish. IMO
> that is just a tag line some salesman came up with to sell the goods.
> Color in the kitchen makes me feel good (or better) about a daily
> chore. I don't feel like I am in a prison commissary.

Maybe that's the difference. I don't consider cooking a chore. Not
even when I repeated meals more often than I do now.

--
Elitist Snob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 Aug 2015 09:48:47 -0600, Janet B >
wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Aug 2015 09:47:45 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> >DreadfulBitch wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> >
> >> Is there much difference in the cooked food between plain cast-iron
> >> cookware and enameled cast-iron?

> >Well, depends on what you want. The coated stuff is never 'seasoned'
> >so will stick. It heat diffuses the same though pretty much.
> >
> > Carol

> It shouldn't stick because of the enamel. I've only got an enameled
> dutch oven that I use for specific kinds of food. I have other plain
> cast iron that I use hardly at all. I guess I have a wardrobe of
> different pots and pans from years of cooking and I have settled on a
> couple things that suit what I cook.

You have to be as careful cooking with enameled cast iron as you are
with stainless steel or else food will stick. It also discolors
(scorches) and scratches if you aren't careful.

--
Elitist Snob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/29/2015 11:13 AM, sf wrote:
> Maybe that's the difference. I don't consider cooking a chore. Not
> even when I repeated meals more often than I do now.

That's because your cooking is an art form, period.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 29/08/2015 9:48 AM, Janet B wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Aug 2015 09:47:45 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
>> DreadfulBitch wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>
>>> Is there much difference in the cooked food between plain cast-iron
>>> cookware and enameled cast-iron?

>> Well, depends on what you want. The coated stuff is never 'seasoned'
>> so will stick. It heat diffuses the same though pretty much.
>>
>> Carol

> It shouldn't stick because of the enamel. I've only got an enameled
> dutch oven that I use for specific kinds of food. I have other plain
> cast iron that I use hardly at all. I guess I have a wardrobe of
> different pots and pans from years of cooking and I have settled on a
> couple things that suit what I cook.
> Janet US

I have a LC "marmitout" - a casserole with a lid that can also be used
as a baking dish, and a large casserole. The only cast iron pan is a
Lodge dutch oven used exclusively for bread baking.
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 Aug 2015 12:31:07 -0600, graham > wrote:

snip
The only cast iron pan is a
>Lodge dutch oven used exclusively for bread baking.
>Graham

I have that too
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/28/2015 11:02 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> I like them a lot and they cook very well. But yes, they're extremely
> heavy. I don't know about Le Crueset saying only use on medium or low
> heat. I use these old pots on the stove and can easily transfer them to
> a hot oven. Then again, mine are antiques. Le Crueset probably doesn't
> make 'em like that anymore.
>
> Jill

You get those instruction on any cookware made with dissimilar
materials. Extreme heat can cause de-lamination or cracking of the glaze
as they expand and contract at different rates. My copper pans have
stainless steal on the inside and they tell you medium heat is best.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> On 8/28/2015 11:02 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>
> > I like them a lot and they cook very well. But yes, they're extremely
> > heavy. I don't know about Le Crueset saying only use on medium or low
> > heat. I use these old pots on the stove and can easily transfer them to
> > a hot oven. Then again, mine are antiques. Le Crueset probably doesn't
> > make 'em like that anymore.
> >
> > Jill

> You get those instruction on any cookware made with dissimilar
> materials. Extreme heat can cause de-lamination or cracking of the glaze
> as they expand and contract at different rates. My copper pans have
> stainless steal on the inside and they tell you medium heat is best.

On the other hand, I exclusively use Revereware pots and pans.
Stainless steel with copper bottom. Thin and cheap layer of copper, no
doubt.

That said, I take my large frying pan to very hot to sear meat and
I've never had any problem. The only thing I don't do is put it into
the oven to finish a meat. I just turn the stovetop heat down to
finish with no problem.

Don't put into oven as I don't know if their handles would be ok in
the oven. I suspect they are not good for the oven.

I've got a set of 3 seasoned cast iron pans but I never use them. I
never see the need to use them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/30/2015 7:48 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 8/28/2015 11:02 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> I like them a lot and they cook very well. But yes, they're extremely
>> heavy. I don't know about Le Crueset saying only use on medium or low
>> heat. I use these old pots on the stove and can easily transfer them to
>> a hot oven. Then again, mine are antiques. Le Crueset probably doesn't
>> make 'em like that anymore.
>>
>> Jill

> You get those instruction on any cookware made with dissimilar
> materials. Extreme heat can cause de-lamination or cracking of the glaze
> as they expand and contract at different rates. My copper pans have
> stainless steal on the inside and they tell you medium heat is best.

Thank goodness for lawyers, Ed! CYA. As I said, I transfer the
(Descoware) enameled cast iron from stovetop to a hot oven, no problems.
The cookware is at least as old as I am.

I should look for the wooden handle for the large covered frying pan.
The one that came with it eventually got stripped.

Jill