Julianne

Default cast iron cookware

My BF has a camp with plenty of cast iron cookware. It seems very difficult
to clean and very heavy. I have some lighter things up there but the guy who
does a lot of the cooking prefers the cast iron stuff and it is used at
almost every meal. When I use it, things tend to stick on the bottom.
Also, a lot of times when I first get to the camp, there are pieces in the
oven that have been left there with oil in them? Is this how they are
seasoned?

Are there any good rules for cooking with this stuff?

The Joneses

Julianne wrote:

> My BF has a camp with plenty of cast iron cookware. It seems very difficult
> to clean and very heavy. I have some lighter things up there but the guy who
> does a lot of the cooking prefers the cast iron stuff and it is used at
> almost every meal. When I use it, things tend to stick on the bottom.
> Also, a lot of times when I first get to the camp, there are pieces in the
> oven that have been left there with oil in them? Is this how they are
> seasoned?
>
> Are there any good rules for cooking with this stuff?

I love mine for various specific jobs. Good quality cast iron holds heat well
and evenly. When I use a cast iron covered dutch oven to cook a roast (sear
first, then add stuff), it cooks in about 1/2 the time of an enameled roaster.
If you have a pan for eggs properly seasoned (that oil thing) stuff won't stick
with just a little oil. But don't heat up a skillet too hot of course or
anything would stick, I bring mine up to heat slowly. But it is heavy, no way
around that. But it lasts forever. My son now uses my cast (!) offs I bought
at garage sales 30 years ago. Maybe check out the Lodge website for how to keep
the cast iron nice? Basically, clean well but not too scratchy, dry, re-oil,
wipe off residue. Also, if you cook anything acidic/tomatoey, you pick up more
than a few molecules of iron in your diet.
Edrena

PENMART01

The Dumb Joneses writes:

>Julianne wrote:
>
>>My BF has a camp with plenty of cast iron cookware. It seems very
>>difficult to clean and very heavy.

>if you cook anything acidic/tomatoey, you pick up
>more than a few molecules of iron in your diet.

That would be Iron *atoms*... Iron (Fe) is an element.

I know, an imbecile like you will say "whatever".

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

levelwave

Julianne wrote:

> Are there any good rules for cooking with this stuff?

This has been discussed to death... try using the Google Archives to
search rec.food.cooking for "Cast Iron"... and then if you have any
specific questions I'll be glad to help...

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=ca...=Google+Search

~john!

Dave Smith

Julianne wrote:

> My BF has a camp with plenty of cast iron cookware. It seems very difficult
> to clean and very heavy. I have some lighter things up there but the guy who
> does a lot of the cooking prefers the cast iron stuff and it is used at
> almost every meal. When I use it, things tend to stick on the bottom.
> Also, a lot of times when I first get to the camp, there are pieces in the
> oven that have been left there with oil in them? Is this how they are
> seasoned?
>
> Are there any good rules for cooking with this stuff?

Do you scrub them clean before using them? That would explain why things stick.
The pans that were left with a little oil on them were probably left that way to
prevent them from rusting. Just wipe out the excess oil and heat them up. The
heat will kill any germs in them. You can cool them off a bit and wipe them
with a wet rag and dry them, even over low heat. Bt for good ness sake, do not
use soap on them. A properly seasoned pan should not stick if you are using the
right heat under them. A nice heavy pan will distribute heat evenly and retain
heat for proper cooking.

Katra

PENMART01 wrote:

> The Dumb Joneses writes:
>
> >Julianne wrote:
> >
> >>My BF has a camp with plenty of cast iron cookware. It seems very
> >>difficult to clean and very heavy.

> >if you cook anything acidic/tomatoey, you pick up
> >more than a few molecules of iron in your diet.

> That would be Iron *atoms*... Iron (Fe) is an element.
>
> I know, an imbecile like you will say "whatever".
>
> ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =---
> ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
> Sheldon
> ````````````
> "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

Sheldon hon' you are WAY too fricking anal! :-)
Get over yourself already and join the human race???

K.

--
>^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^< >^,,^<

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...s&userid=katra
Katra

levelwave wrote:

> Julianne wrote:
>
> > Are there any good rules for cooking with this stuff?

> This has been discussed to death... try using the Google Archives to
> search rec.food.cooking for "Cast Iron"... and then if you have any
> specific questions I'll be glad to help...
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?q=ca...=Google+Search
>
> ~john!

In a bitchy mood are we hon'? :-)

Personally, I never get tired of singing the praises
of cast iron!

But then, I'm new here. :-)

<hugs>
K.

--
>^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^< >^,,^<

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...s&userid=katra
Katra

Dave Smith wrote:

> Julianne wrote:
>
> > My BF has a camp with plenty of cast iron cookware. It seems very difficult
> > to clean and very heavy. I have some lighter things up there but the guy who
> > does a lot of the cooking prefers the cast iron stuff and it is used at
> > almost every meal. When I use it, things tend to stick on the bottom.
> > Also, a lot of times when I first get to the camp, there are pieces in the
> > oven that have been left there with oil in them? Is this how they are
> > seasoned?
> >
> > Are there any good rules for cooking with this stuff?
> >

> Do you scrub them clean before using them? That would explain why things stick.
> The pans that were left with a little oil on them were probably left that way to
> prevent them from rusting. Just wipe out the excess oil and heat them up. The
> heat will kill any germs in them. You can cool them off a bit and wipe them
> with a wet rag and dry them, even over low heat. Bt for good ness sake, do not
> use soap on them. A properly seasoned pan should not stick if you are using the
> right heat under them. A nice heavy pan will distribute heat evenly and retain
> heat for proper cooking.

If my pans get really messy, I DO use a little dish soap in them,
but never, ever soak them! It does not damage the seasoning, but
I always re-oil with a little oil and a paper towel between uses.

Even eggs don't stick. :-)

K.

--
>^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^< >^,,^<

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...s&userid=katra
John Snell

The key to cleaning cast iron is not to wash it. Water tends to remove the
"cure" that is on it. One good way to clean it is to pour coarse salt, like
kosher salt, into the pan and rub it with a paper towel or old rag until the
gunk is in the salt and not on the pan, Then wipe it out, put a clean paper
towel over it and store it.
The heavy nature of cast iron is part of the reason it's great. It holds
heat better than anything else.

PENMART01 wrote:

> The Dumb Joneses writes:
>
> >Julianne wrote:
> >
> >>My BF has a camp with plenty of cast iron cookware. It seems very
> >>difficult to clean and very heavy.

> >if you cook anything acidic/tomatoey, you pick up
> >more than a few molecules of iron in your diet.

> That would be Iron *atoms*... Iron (Fe) is an element.
>
> I know, an imbecile like you will say "whatever".
>
> ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =---
> ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
> Sheldon
> ````````````
> "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

Oxygen is also an element but you seldom find it in single atoms but rather in
two atom molecules bound by a covalent bond. Most gases are like that. Carbon
is also multiple atoms to make a molecule. For example C60 and C70 carbon
molecules are made of 60 and 70 atom molecules known as buckyballs or
buckminsterfullerene. Look up
http://www.bris.ac.uk/Depts/Chemistr...yball/c60a.htm

Iron molecules on the other hand, consist of single atoms so it is right to
say either one. a molecule of iron is a single atom.

In chemistry the difference is important.

John Snell wrote:

> The key to cleaning cast iron is not to wash it. Water tends to remove the
> "cure" that is on it. One good way to clean it is to pour coarse salt, like
> kosher salt, into the pan and rub it with a paper towel or old rag until the
> gunk is in the salt and not on the pan, Then wipe it out, put a clean paper
> towel over it and store it.
> The heavy nature of cast iron is part of the reason it's great. It holds
> heat better than anything else.
>
> Julianne wrote:
> > My BF has a camp with plenty of cast iron cookware. It seems very
> > difficult to clean and very heavy. I have some lighter things up
> > there but the guy who does a lot of the cooking prefers the cast iron
> > stuff and it is used at almost every meal. When I use it, things
> > tend to stick on the bottom. Also, a lot of times when I first get to
> > the camp, there are pieces in the oven that have been left there with
> > oil in them? Is this how they are seasoned?
> >
> > Are there any good rules for cooking with this stuff?

My wife has carpal tunnel syndrome and will not use either our cast iron
skillet or the dutch oven. I get called when she wants to use either.
PENMART01

Katra writes:

>PENMART01 wrote:
>>
>> The Dumb Joneses writes:

>> >if you cook anything acidic/tomatoey, you pick up
>> >more than a few molecules of iron in your diet.

>> That would be Iron *atoms*... Iron (Fe) is an element.
>>
>> I know, an imbecile like you will say "whatever".

>Sheldon hon' you are WAY too fricking anal! :-)

"friking anal"? You must be thinking of getting ASS ****ED, you ignorant
trailor trash ****.

Frick was an industrialist.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

PENMART01

aasainz-masturbater writes:

>My wife has carpal tunnel syndrome and will not use either our cast iron
>skillet or the dutch oven. I get called when she wants to use either.

You have strong wrists from all that on-line personal training.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Julianne

Thanks for all the responses. I feel so guilty. I always wash and soak
dishes In the future, I will try to refrain from using the brillo pad on
the cast iron.

"John Snell" > wrote in message
> The key to cleaning cast iron is not to wash it. Water tends to remove the
> "cure" that is on it. One good way to clean it is to pour coarse salt,

like
> kosher salt, into the pan and rub it with a paper towel or old rag until

the
> gunk is in the salt and not on the pan, Then wipe it out, put a clean

paper
> towel over it and store it.
> The heavy nature of cast iron is part of the reason it's great. It holds
> heat better than anything else.
>
> Julianne wrote:
> > My BF has a camp with plenty of cast iron cookware. It seems very
> > difficult to clean and very heavy. I have some lighter things up
> > there but the guy who does a lot of the cooking prefers the cast iron
> > stuff and it is used at almost every meal. When I use it, things
> > tend to stick on the bottom. Also, a lot of times when I first get to
> > the camp, there are pieces in the oven that have been left there with
> > oil in them? Is this how they are seasoned?
> >
> > Are there any good rules for cooking with this stuff?

levelwave

Katra wrote:

> In a bitchy mood are we *John*? :-)
>
> Personally, I never get tired of singing the praises
> of cast iron!
>
> But then, I'm new here. :-)

Yep... stick around for a while... After the 17 Millionth time someone
asks how to season their cast iron... you Katra, will understand too...

~john!

....who couldn't live without his cast iron skillet

Julianne

"levelwave" > wrote in message
> Katra wrote:
>

> > In a bitchy mood are we *John*? :-)
> >
> > Personally, I never get tired of singing the praises
> > of cast iron!
> >
> > But then, I'm new here. :-)

> Yep... stick around for a while... After the 17 Millionth time someone
> asks how to season their cast iron... you Katra, will understand too...

My apologies.

> ~john!
>

> ...who couldn't live without his cast iron skillet

levelwave

Julianne wrote:

> My apologies.

No need to apologize Julianne!... We're here to help...

~john!

....and to patronize

Katra

I keep seeing this over and over...
no water for washing the cast iron pans. Wierd!
I use my pans pretty much daily and I wash them
with soap and water just like any other pan, but
I _never_ ever soak them. If I cook something messy
or greasy, I just place the pan in the sink, add a little
dish soap to the pan and scrub it lightly with my soft
scrub brush, (I never use scouring pads or scrubbies
on it!) then rinse it out. If it's not TOO grungy,
I just wipe it out with a clean paper towel.

I always dry them and re-coat them with a light coating
of olive oil between uses.

Food does not stick to my Griswolds at all, I don't seem
to be removing my seasoning by washing them with water.

K.

John Snell wrote:

> The key to cleaning cast iron is not to wash it. Water tends to remove the
> "cure" that is on it. One good way to clean it is to pour coarse salt, like
> kosher salt, into the pan and rub it with a paper towel or old rag until the
> gunk is in the salt and not on the pan, Then wipe it out, put a clean paper
> towel over it and store it.
> The heavy nature of cast iron is part of the reason it's great. It holds
> heat better than anything else.
>
> Julianne wrote:
> > My BF has a camp with plenty of cast iron cookware. It seems very
> > difficult to clean and very heavy. I have some lighter things up
> > there but the guy who does a lot of the cooking prefers the cast iron
> > stuff and it is used at almost every meal. When I use it, things
> > tend to stick on the bottom. Also, a lot of times when I first get to
> > the camp, there are pieces in the oven that have been left there with
> > oil in them? Is this how they are seasoned?
> >
> > Are there any good rules for cooking with this stuff?

>^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^< >^,,^<

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...s&userid=katra
Katra

wrote:

> John Snell wrote:
> >
> > The key to cleaning cast iron is not to wash it. Water tends to remove the
> > "cure" that is on it. One good way to clean it is to pour coarse salt, like
> > kosher salt, into the pan and rub it with a paper towel or old rag until the
> > gunk is in the salt and not on the pan, Then wipe it out, put a clean paper
> > towel over it and store it.
> > The heavy nature of cast iron is part of the reason it's great. It holds
> > heat better than anything else.
> >
> > Julianne wrote:
> > > My BF has a camp with plenty of cast iron cookware. It seems very
> > > difficult to clean and very heavy. I have some lighter things up
> > > there but the guy who does a lot of the cooking prefers the cast iron
> > > stuff and it is used at almost every meal. When I use it, things
> > > tend to stick on the bottom. Also, a lot of times when I first get to
> > > the camp, there are pieces in the oven that have been left there with
> > > oil in them? Is this how they are seasoned?
> > >
> > > Are there any good rules for cooking with this stuff?

> My wife has carpal tunnel syndrome and will not use either our cast iron
> skillet or the dutch oven. I get called when she wants to use either.

If she does not want to have surgery for it, there IS a hand exercise
that can help to relieve the symptoms. :-)

Carpal tunnel tends to occur due to nerve impingement in the wrist, and
it can be due to an imbalance in muscular tension/strength between the
top and bottom muscles of the forearm. (I read this somewhere in a body
building magazine and do this exercise myself and have never developed
carpel tunnel despite many hours per week typing on the computer).

Take a large, strong rubber band, (the ones that come on bundled produce
work well) and place them around your fingers. with the palm facing
down, spread your fingers, stretching the rubber band. This helps to
strengthen the muscles in the _top_ of the forearm. Do at least 12 sets
of 10 reps per day or more. You can feel the muscles work.

It might help her, sure won't hurt. :-)

K.

--
>^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^<
>^,,^<

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...s&userid=katra

Dimitri

"Julianne" > wrote in message
> My BF has a camp with plenty of cast iron cookware. It seems very

difficult
> to clean and very heavy. I have some lighter things up there but the guy

who
> does a lot of the cooking prefers the cast iron stuff and it is used at
> almost every meal. When I use it, things tend to stick on the bottom.
> Also, a lot of times when I first get to the camp, there are pieces in the
> oven that have been left there with oil in them? Is this how they are
> seasoned?
>
> Are there any good rules for cooking with this stuff?

Cast iron cookware has been around for a very very long time. Many people
say it is the original non-stick cookware. When treated properly it will
outlive the user.

Lodge cast iron cookware will give you much more information than you can
find he

http://www.lodgemfg.com/

The seasoning of the pans can be done several ways and there is almost never
a need to reseason the pans. What we refer to as seasoning on the pans just
comes from use over a long period of time. Initially this can be hastened
by coating the pan with vegetable oil and then baking the pan for several
hours. You can accomplish the same effect by just frying bacon in a new pan
several times.

If you food is sticking then you a

A) not letting the pan heat sufficiently before adding the cooking
fat/butter/oil.
B) not using enough fat to coat the bottom of the pan.

A pan is ready to add oil with a drop of water "dances" on the surface.

Remember the pan heats the oil and the oil fries/cooks the food.

Acid foods like a tomato sauce will remove some of the seasoning so they are
not a good idea to use.

Finally you should be able to clean your pan with just some hot water and a
dish cloth or a brush. Generally soap is unnecessary, and cleanser is a
no-no. the important part of the cleaning is making sure the pan is
completely DRY before putting it away.

You will find people who get used to using cast iron cookware become
passionate. It's the only cookware that gets better and better with age.

Dimitri

Katra

PENMART01 wrote:

> Katra writes:
>
> >PENMART01 wrote:

> >> That would be Iron *atoms*... Iron (Fe) is an element.
> >>
> >> I know, an imbecile like you will say "whatever".

> >Sheldon hon' you are WAY too fricking anal! :-)

> "friking anal"? You must be thinking of getting ASS ****ED, you ignorant
> trailor trash ****.
>
> Frick was an industrialist.
>
> Sheldon

Oh Sheldon, you are _SUCH_ a charmer! <kiss>

K.

--
>^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^< >^,,^<

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...s&userid=katra
Dave Smith

Dimitri wrote:

> Cast iron cookware has been around for a very very long time. Many people
> say it is the original non-stick cookware. When treated properly it will
> outlive the user.

So true. We have a variety of cast iron pans. Our grill pan is a recent
addition, bought new just a year or two ago. It does a fantastic job on steaks
and chops. The smallest frying pan is also a relatively new addition which we
picked up at a neighbour's garage sale. It is great for frying an egg ot two.
The two larger pans are hand me down items. My wife's mother got them from her
mother and then handed them down to us, so those two have outlasted two previous
owners.

Dimitri wrote:

> "Julianne" > wrote in message
> > My BF has a camp with plenty of cast iron cookware. It seems very

> difficult
> > to clean and very heavy. I have some lighter things up there but the guy

> who
> > does a lot of the cooking prefers the cast iron stuff and it is used at
> > almost every meal. When I use it, things tend to stick on the bottom.
> > Also, a lot of times when I first get to the camp, there are pieces in the
> > oven that have been left there with oil in them? Is this how they are
> > seasoned?
> >
> > Are there any good rules for cooking with this stuff?

> Cast iron cookware has been around for a very very long time. Many people
> say it is the original non-stick cookware. When treated properly it will
> outlive the user.
>
> Lodge cast iron cookware will give you much more information than you can
> find he
>
> http://www.lodgemfg.com/
>
> The seasoning of the pans can be done several ways and there is almost never
> a need to reseason the pans. What we refer to as seasoning on the pans just
> comes from use over a long period of time. Initially this can be hastened
> by coating the pan with vegetable oil and then baking the pan for several
> hours. You can accomplish the same effect by just frying bacon in a new pan
> several times.
>
> If you food is sticking then you a
>
> A) not letting the pan heat sufficiently before adding the cooking
> fat/butter/oil.
> B) not using enough fat to coat the bottom of the pan.
>
> A pan is ready to add oil with a drop of water "dances" on the surface.
>
> Remember the pan heats the oil and the oil fries/cooks the food.
>
> Acid foods like a tomato sauce will remove some of the seasoning so they are
> not a good idea to use.
>
> Finally you should be able to clean your pan with just some hot water and a
> dish cloth or a brush. Generally soap is unnecessary, and cleanser is a
> no-no. the important part of the cleaning is making sure the pan is
> completely DRY before putting it away.
>
> You will find people who get used to using cast iron cookware become
> passionate. It's the only cookware that gets better and better with age.
>
> Dimitri

Has anyone used cast iron loaf pans for making bread? I see the warnings about
foods containing acid and I bake sourdough bread. Is there a problem with
using a cast iron loaf pan for sourdough due to the acid characteristics?

I am looking at
https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefro...idProduct=2808
Dimitri

> wrote in message
> Dimitri wrote:

<Snip>

> Has anyone used cast iron loaf pans for making bread? I see the warnings

about
> foods containing acid and I bake sourdough bread. Is there a problem with
> using a cast iron loaf pan for sourdough due to the acid characteristics?
>
> I am looking at
> https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefro...idProduct=2808

IMHO

The acid within the sourdough is not in contact with the surface as a liquid
for long enough or at a strong enough PH to damage the surface. Not a
problem.

Dimitri

Dimitri wrote:

> > wrote in message
> > Dimitri wrote:

> <Snip>
>
> > Has anyone used cast iron loaf pans for making bread? I see the warnings

> about
> > foods containing acid and I bake sourdough bread. Is there a problem with
> > using a cast iron loaf pan for sourdough due to the acid characteristics?
> >
> > I am looking at
> > https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefro...idProduct=2808

> IMHO
>
> The acid within the sourdough is not in contact with the surface as a liquid
> for long enough or at a strong enough PH to damage the surface. Not a
> problem.
>
> Dimitri

Thanks, Dimitri. Now I need to figure out if it would be possible to drop a
fully formed loaf into the already hot pan. Somehow that does not sound like
it would work well.

Bert
The Joneses

wrote:

> Dimitri wrote:
> >
> > > wrote in message
> > > Dimitri wrote:

> > <Snip>
> >
> > > Has anyone used cast iron loaf pans for making bread? I see the warnings

> > about
> > > foods containing acid and I bake sourdough bread. Is there a problem with
> > > using a cast iron loaf pan for sourdough due to the acid characteristics?
> > >
> > > I am looking at

https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefro...idProduct=2808

> > IMHO
> >
> > The acid within the sourdough is not in contact with the surface as a liquid
> > for long enough or at a strong enough PH to damage the surface. Not a
> > problem.
> >
> > Dimitri

> Thanks, Dimitri. Now I need to figure out if it would be possible to drop a
> fully formed loaf into the already hot pan. Somehow that does not sound like
> it would work well.
>
> Bert

That's the way we make *corn*bread though. Best of course with bacon
fat melted in the hot pan. For traditional wheat type breads, you could use a
room temperature pan, but calculate a little longer to cook? for the time it takes

to heat the pan up? This might be a good thing for a dense recipe with stuff like

nuts and veggies, etc. I've made round breads on a frypan or griddle, but it's
been many years and I don't remember any specifics. But it's getting cold out
and wet and it might be a nice week to play around with it.
Edrena with warm socks

A.T. Hagan

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 00:45:35 -0600, Katra >
wrote:

>PENMART01 wrote:
>>
>> The Dumb Joneses writes:

>> >if you cook anything acidic/tomatoey, you pick up
>> >more than a few molecules of iron in your diet.

>> That would be Iron *atoms*... Iron (Fe) is an element.
>>
>> I know, an imbecile like you will say "whatever".
>>
>> ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =---
>> ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
>> Sheldon
>> ````````````
>> "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."
>>

>Sheldon hon' you are WAY too fricking anal! :-)
>Get over yourself already and join the human race???
>
>K.

No, no. We don't want him.

Besides, it would require him to become a mammal.

......Alan.

--
Curiosity killed the cat -
lack of it is killing mankind.

A.T. Hagan

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 04:05:25 GMT, wrote:

>Dimitri wrote:
>>
>> "Julianne" > wrote in message
>> > My BF has a camp with plenty of cast iron cookware. It seems very

>> difficult
>> > to clean and very heavy. I have some lighter things up there but the guy

>> who
>> > does a lot of the cooking prefers the cast iron stuff and it is used at
>> > almost every meal. When I use it, things tend to stick on the bottom.
>> > Also, a lot of times when I first get to the camp, there are pieces in the
>> > oven that have been left there with oil in them? Is this how they are
>> > seasoned?
>> >
>> > Are there any good rules for cooking with this stuff?

>> Cast iron cookware has been around for a very very long time. Many people
>> say it is the original non-stick cookware. When treated properly it will
>> outlive the user.
>>
>> Lodge cast iron cookware will give you much more information than you can
>> find he

http://www.lodgemfg.com/

>> The seasoning of the pans can be done several ways and there is almost never
>> a need to reseason the pans. What we refer to as seasoning on the pans just
>> comes from use over a long period of time. Initially this can be hastened
>> by coating the pan with vegetable oil and then baking the pan for several
>> hours. You can accomplish the same effect by just frying bacon in a new pan
>> several times.
>>
>> If you food is sticking then you a
>>
>> A) not letting the pan heat sufficiently before adding the cooking
>> fat/butter/oil.
>> B) not using enough fat to coat the bottom of the pan.
>>
>> A pan is ready to add oil with a drop of water "dances" on the surface.
>>
>> Remember the pan heats the oil and the oil fries/cooks the food.
>>
>> Acid foods like a tomato sauce will remove some of the seasoning so they are
>> not a good idea to use.
>>
>> Finally you should be able to clean your pan with just some hot water and a
>> dish cloth or a brush. Generally soap is unnecessary, and cleanser is a
>> no-no. the important part of the cleaning is making sure the pan is
>> completely DRY before putting it away.
>>
>> You will find people who get used to using cast iron cookware become
>> passionate. It's the only cookware that gets better and better with age.
>>
>> Dimitri

>Has anyone used cast iron loaf pans for making bread? I see the warnings about
>foods containing acid and I bake sourdough bread. Is there a problem with
>using a cast iron loaf pan for sourdough due to the acid characteristics?
>
>I am looking at
>https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefro...idProduct=2808

They work fine, but you may need to adjust your oven temperature or
your baking time to compensate for the greater thermal mass of the
cast iron pan relative to the relatively thin sheet metal pans that
are commonly used. Shouldn't be any problem with rusting or the pan
seasoning.

......Alan.