Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default 1729 Black walnut cake

Cream one pound of butter with one pound of sugar, then add one egg
yolk. Blend thoroughly, then add another, and so on until all nine
yolks are thoroughly mixed and creamed.

Sift one pound of flour in gradually, and finally add the stiffly beaten
egg whites.

Dredge one pound of black walnuts meats in small amount fo flour and add
to batter.

Bake in a very slow oven for two and one half to three hours, in a deep
mould.
---

Its in the oven, now i guessed 'very slow oven' to be 300 -325 F.
---
JL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 12 Apr 2006 05:52:20p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Joseph
Littleshoes?

> Cream one pound of butter with one pound of sugar, then add one egg
> yolk. Blend thoroughly, then add another, and so on until all nine
> yolks are thoroughly mixed and creamed.
>
> Sift one pound of flour in gradually, and finally add the stiffly beaten
> egg whites.
>
> Dredge one pound of black walnuts meats in small amount fo flour and add
> to batter.
>
> Bake in a very slow oven for two and one half to three hours, in a deep
> mould.

So it's a pound cake with black walnuts. Sounds yummy! Yes, your
temperature is about right. If the top browns too quickly, form a tent of
foil and place over it.

My grandmother made a similar pound cake, but with pecans instead of black
walnuts. She usually served it with a compote of stewed dried figs and
caramelized pears.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Wed 12 Apr 2006 05:52:20p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Joseph
> Littleshoes?
>

>>Cream one pound of butter with one pound of sugar, then add one egg
>>yolk. Blend thoroughly, then add another, and so on until all nine
>>yolks are thoroughly mixed and creamed.
>>
>>Sift one pound of flour in gradually, and finally add the stiffly beaten
>>egg whites.
>>
>>Dredge one pound of black walnuts meats in small amount fo flour and add
>>to batter.
>>
>>Bake in a very slow oven for two and one half to three hours, in a deep
>>mould.

> So it's a pound cake with black walnuts. Sounds yummy! Yes, your
> temperature is about right. If the top browns too quickly, form a tent of
> foil and place over it.
>
> My grandmother made a similar pound cake, but with pecans instead of black
> walnuts. She usually served it with a compote of stewed dried figs and
> caramelized pears.

I did reduce the heat to 300 as the top was getting a bit dark, i wish i
had thought of the pecans, i would have went out and got some. It took
all of 3 hours in the oven or i would have made the orange icing from
the same book "the willimansbug art of cookery".

I think i might try the 10 minute cake next time.
---
JL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 08:22:02 GMT, Joseph Littleshoes
> wrote:

>I did reduce the heat to 300 as the top was getting a bit dark, i wish i
>had thought of the pecans, i would have went out and got some. It took
>all of 3 hours in the oven or i would have made the orange icing from
>the same book "the willimansbug art of cookery".
>
>I think i might try the 10 minute cake next time.

But ... how was it?

Carol
--

Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Stolen from "traid" on the IRC
Posted to rec.food.cooking

That attachment is a text ng no-no. If it's the recipe (which I
requested in chat), please copy/paste it into a new message.

TIA
sf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 08:22:02 GMT, Joseph Littleshoes
> > wrote:
>

>>I did reduce the heat to 300 as the top was getting a bit dark, i wish i
>>had thought of the pecans, i would have went out and got some. It took
>>all of 3 hours in the oven or i would have made the orange icing from
>>the same book "the willimansbug art of cookery".
>>
>>I think i might try the 10 minute cake next time.

> But ... how was it?
>
> Carol

A not quite so dense as i would have expected pound cake, probly the
whipped egg whites, it was good, tasty but nothing special.
---
JL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> That attachment is a text ng no-no. If it's the recipe (which I
> requested in chat), please copy/paste it into a new message.
>
> TIA
> sf

What attachment?
---
JL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 20:16:08 GMT, Joseph Littleshoes wrote:

> sf wrote:
>
> > That attachment is a text ng no-no. If it's the recipe (which I
> > requested in chat), please copy/paste it into a new message.
> >
> > TIA
> > sf

> What attachment?

Some sort of "properties" thing... jpstifel.vcf
I'll email a screenshot to you, so you can figure it out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 20:16:08 GMT, Joseph Littleshoes wrote:
>

>> sf wrote:
>>
>> > That attachment is a text ng no-no. If it's the recipe (which I
>> > requested in chat), please copy/paste it into a new message.
>> >
>> > TIA
>> > sf

>> What attachment?

> Some sort of "properties" thing... jpstifel.vcf
> I'll email a screenshot to you, so you can figure it out.

Oh right! i was playing around with a setting on my computer called
'business card' it allows you to make a business card that is attached
to each piece of mail, but instead of the link on it taking one to my
web page the link on my business card hijacks you to a search engine,
odd, and not very nice, so i only used it for a couple of pieces of mail.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 20:41:33 GMT, Joseph Littleshoes wrote:

> sf wrote:

> >> What attachment?

> > Some sort of "properties" thing... jpstifel.vcf
> > I'll email a screenshot to you, so you can figure it out.

> Oh right! i was playing around with a setting on my computer called
> 'business card' it allows you to make a business card that is attached
> to each piece of mail, but instead of the link on it taking one to my
> web page the link on my business card hijacks you to a search engine,
> odd, and not very nice, so i only used it for a couple of pieces of mail.

Unfortunantely, it's still attaching itself to your ng posts.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 20:41:33 GMT, Joseph Littleshoes wrote:
>

>> sf wrote:

>> > Some sort of "properties" thing... jpstifel.vcf
>> > I'll email a screenshot to you, so you can figure it out.

>> Oh right! i was playing around with a setting on my computer called
>> 'business card' it allows you to make a business card that is attached
>> to each piece of mail, but instead of the link on it taking one to my
>> web page the link on my business card hijacks you to a search engine,
>> odd, and not very nice, so i only used it for a couple of pieces of mail.

> Unfortunantely, it's still attaching itself to your ng posts.

My apologies, i thought i had turned it off, i just checked my account
settings and found i had not, let me know if it show up on this one?
---
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 21:00:48 GMT, Joseph Littleshoes wrote:

> My apologies, i thought i had turned it off, i just checked my account
> settings and found i had not, let me know if it show up on this one?

You're clear now, thanks.

--

Former Fashion Floozy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 20:16:08 GMT, Joseph Littleshoes
> wrote:

>sf wrote:
>
>> That attachment is a text ng no-no. If it's the recipe (which I
>> requested in chat), please copy/paste it into a new message.

>What attachment?

You've suddenly started attaching your e-mail address card to your
postings.

Carol
--

Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Stolen from "traid" on the IRC
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Joseph Littleshoes wrote:
> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 08:22:02 GMT, Joseph Littleshoes
>> > wrote:
>>

>>> I did reduce the heat to 300 as the top was getting a bit dark, i
>>> wish i had thought of the pecans, i would have went out and got
>>> some. It took all of 3 hours in the oven or i would have made the
>>> orange icing from the same book "the willimansbug art of cookery".
>>>
>>> I think i might try the 10 minute cake next time.

>> But ... how was it?
>>
>> Carol

> A not quite so dense as i would have expected pound cake, probly the
> whipped egg whites, it was good, tasty but nothing special.
> ---
> JL

I don't think in those days they were going for "special" so much as "what
can I do with what I have?" I have a couple of cookbook reprints from the
1700's and 1800's and none of the recipes seem very "special"; sometimes
unique in terms of ingredients and cooking terms. It's a fun exploration,
though. Keep in mind back then they were cooking in large fireplaces, so
low heat probably meant low coals left from a wood fire the night before.

Jill

black walnut chickadee feed Wm Watt Preserving 0 28-12-2011 05:58 PM
black walnut Mike Baking 1 02-09-2006 02:35 PM
No Black Walnut? Alan S Barbecue 0 31-01-2006 08:18 PM
# Cake for Damsel - Cranberry Black Walnut Pound Cake Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 0 31-01-2005 02:39 PM
REC: Black Walnut Cake Charles Gifford General Cooking 3 02-10-2004 01:04 AM