Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Grass Fed vs. Grain Fed Beef: The Cook Off

After the recent discussion about grass fed beef vs. grain fed beef, I
ordered our usual Allen Bros. ribeyes (grain fed)
http://www.allenbrothers.com/ and also ordered our newly-found Neff
Family Ranch ribeyes (grass fed) http://www.nfrnaturalbeef.com/ . We
will be carefully grilling one of each tomorrow night (Saturday),
carefully halving each so the DH and I can compare one against the
other. Will make a full report back. After reading about the feed lots
(grain fed) cattle, I am hoping that the grass fed beef knocks us off
our feet. YMMV, but even if it's a wash, I'm inclined to go with grass
fed henceforth.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

"Most vigitaryans I iver see looked enough like their food to be
classed as cannybals."

Finley Peter Dunne (1900)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> After the recent discussion about grass fed beef vs. grain fed beef, I
> ordered our usual Allen Bros. ribeyes (grain fed)

http://www.allenbrothers.com/ and also ordered our newly-found Neff
> Family Ranch ribeyes (grass fed) http://www.nfrnaturalbeef.com/ . We
> will be carefully grilling one of each tomorrow night (Saturday),
> carefully halving each so the DH and I can compare one against the
> other. Will make a full report back. After reading about the feed lots
> (grain fed) cattle, I am hoping that the grass fed beef knocks us off
> our feet. YMMV, but even if it's a wash, I'm inclined to go with grass
> fed henceforth.
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

Don't forget to compare size before and after grilling of either beef.
If my experience is anything to go by, you should note a considerable
difference in shrinking factors.

-P.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 16:49:30 +1200, Peter Huebner
> wrote:

>In article >,
says...

>> After the recent discussion about grass fed beef vs. grain fed beef, I
>> ordered our usual Allen Bros. ribeyes (grain fed)
>> http://www.allenbrothers.com/ and also ordered our newly-found Neff
>> Family Ranch ribeyes (grass fed) http://www.nfrnaturalbeef.com/ . We
>> will be carefully grilling one of each tomorrow night (Saturday),
>> carefully halving each so the DH and I can compare one against the
>> other. Will make a full report back. After reading about the feed lots
>> (grain fed) cattle, I am hoping that the grass fed beef knocks us off
>> our feet. YMMV, but even if it's a wash, I'm inclined to go with grass
>> fed henceforth.
>>
>> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

>Don't forget to compare size before and after grilling of either beef.
>If my experience is anything to go by, you should note a considerable
>difference in shrinking factors.
>
>-P.

And weigh them before and after, compute weight loss.

jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking

at Sat, 25 Mar 2006 04:27:14 GMT in <52h922hfjnm5gh4s4k0p9vqqs1nm8d94st@
4ax.com>, (Terry Pulliam Burd) wrote :

>After the recent discussion about grass fed beef vs. grain fed beef, I
>ordered our usual Allen Bros. ribeyes (grain fed)

http://www.allenbrothers.com/ and also ordered our newly-found Neff
>Family Ranch ribeyes (grass fed) http://www.nfrnaturalbeef.com/

I wonder if that's the deciding factor? I'd hazard a guess that the quality
of grain fed beef and of grass-fed beef ranges from farm to farm. And I
have a suspicion that quality differences between farms are more
significant than those between feeding practices. In other words, there are
probably good and bad grass-fed meats, just as there are good and bad
grain-fed beef. And a good grain-fed vs. a bad grass-fed will win, and vice
versa - so that there's virtually no way to get an "objective" test, unless
you find a farm that does *both* types.

--
Alex Rast

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:
>After the recent discussion about grass fed beef vs. grain fed beef, I
>ordered our usual Allen Bros. ribeyes (grain fed)
>http://www.allenbrothers.com/ and also ordered our newly-found Neff
>Family Ranch ribeyes (grass fed) http://www.nfrnaturalbeef.com/ . We
>will be carefully grilling one of each tomorrow night (Saturday),
>carefully halving each so the DH and I can compare one against the
>other. Will make a full report back. After reading about the feed lots
>(grain fed) cattle, I am hoping that the grass fed beef knocks us off
>our feet. YMMV, but even if it's a wash, I'm inclined to go with grass
>fed henceforth.

When I was in the States in '77 I was reliably informed that there was
a move towards grass fed beef for health reasons (less fat).

However, there was also a 55 mph speed limit and an assumed move
towards smaller cars due to the "fuel crisis" of the times.

I'm curious to know if any of these fads remains, nearly 30 years on?
(Well, I guess the speed limit wasn't a "fad"; it could be expensive!)

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
> After the recent discussion about grass fed beef vs. grain fed beef, I
> ordered our usual Allen Bros. ribeyes (grain fed)
> http://www.allenbrothers.com/ and also ordered our newly-found Neff
> Family Ranch ribeyes (grass fed) http://www.nfrnaturalbeef.com/ . We
> will be carefully grilling one of each tomorrow night (Saturday),
> carefully halving each so the DH and I can compare one against the
> other. Will make a full report back. After reading about the feed lots
> (grain fed) cattle, I am hoping that the grass fed beef knocks us off
> our feet. YMMV, but even if it's a wash, I'm inclined to go with grass
> fed henceforth.
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

Looking forward to the results of your cookoff.

I'm going to predict that the grass fed will be a bit more flavorful,
but the grain fed a bit more tender. But given the commerical quality of
beef today, both will be pretty good.

Can you elaborate a bit more on your concerns regarding feed lots?

My grandfather worked in a packing plant. Never had the opportunity to
tour the place myself (too young at the time), but I remember him
telling me stories. And after he retired, he worked at a livestock sales
auction for a while. He sometimes took me there. Not exactly a feed lot,
but similar. Considering how cattle are handled, you'd wonder exactly
why people would even think about eating them. But then again, lobsters
look like big bugs and that doesn't stop us from eating them!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Phred wrote:
> In article >, Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:
>
>>After the recent discussion about grass fed beef vs. grain fed beef, I
>>ordered our usual Allen Bros. ribeyes (grain fed)
>>http://www.allenbrothers.com/ and also ordered our newly-found Neff
>>Family Ranch ribeyes (grass fed) http://www.nfrnaturalbeef.com/ . We
>>will be carefully grilling one of each tomorrow night (Saturday),
>>carefully halving each so the DH and I can compare one against the
>>other. Will make a full report back. After reading about the feed lots
>>(grain fed) cattle, I am hoping that the grass fed beef knocks us off
>>our feet. YMMV, but even if it's a wash, I'm inclined to go with grass
>>fed henceforth.

> When I was in the States in '77 I was reliably informed that there was
> a move towards grass fed beef for health reasons (less fat).
>
> However, there was also a 55 mph speed limit and an assumed move
> towards smaller cars due to the "fuel crisis" of the times.
>
> I'm curious to know if any of these fads remains, nearly 30 years on?

I know there's a lot more "Kobe" beef available these days and it's a
bit on the fatty side. But then again, finding pork with any fat on it
is nearly impossible. I guess maybe the fad remains....
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:

> After the recent discussion about grass fed beef vs. grain fed beef, I
> ordered our usual Allen Bros. ribeyes (grain fed)
> http://www.allenbrothers.com/ and also ordered our newly-found Neff
> Family Ranch ribeyes (grass fed) http://www.nfrnaturalbeef.com/ . We
> will be carefully grilling one of each tomorrow night (Saturday),
> carefully halving each so the DH and I can compare one against the
> other. Will make a full report back. After reading about the feed lots
> (grain fed) cattle, I am hoping that the grass fed beef knocks us off
> our feet. YMMV, but even if it's a wash, I'm inclined to go with grass
> fed henceforth.
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
> AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA
>
> "Most vigitaryans I iver see looked enough like their food to be
> classed as cannybals."
>
> Finley Peter Dunne (1900)
>
> To reply, replace "spaminator" with "cox"

It's lean and flavorful. Lean. Don't overcook it!!
--
-Barb
<www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 3-21-2006 Hot Stuff!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Phred" > wrote in message

> However, there was also a 55 mph speed limit and an assumed move
> towards smaller cars due to the "fuel crisis" of the times.
>
> I'm curious to know if any of these fads remains, nearly 30 years on?
> (Well, I guess the speed limit wasn't a "fad"; it could be expensive!)

Not a fad at all. The new Hummer H3 proves we are interested in smaller
cars. The 55 has been change to 65 or 70 though, depending on the state.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Alex Rast" > wrote in message
> at Sat, 25 Mar 2006 04:27:14 GMT in <52h922hfjnm5gh4s4k0p9vqqs1nm8d94st@
> 4ax.com>, (Terry Pulliam Burd) wrote :
>
>>After the recent discussion about grass fed beef vs. grain fed beef, I
>>ordered our usual Allen Bros. ribeyes (grain fed)

http://www.allenbrothers.com/ and also ordered our newly-found Neff
>>Family Ranch ribeyes (grass fed) http://www.nfrnaturalbeef.com/

> I wonder if that's the deciding factor? I'd hazard a guess that the
> quality
> of grain fed beef and of grass-fed beef ranges from farm to farm. And I
> have a suspicion that quality differences between farms are more
> significant than those between feeding practices. In other words, there
> are
> probably good and bad grass-fed meats, just as there are good and bad
> grain-fed beef. And a good grain-fed vs. a bad grass-fed will win, and
> vice
> versa - so that there's virtually no way to get an "objective" test,
> unless
> you find a farm that does *both* types.
>

> --
> Alex Rast

http://www.mercola.com/2005/apr/23/beef.htm
When you think of a cow in its natural environment, doing what it naturally
does, you likely will picture it grazing. Is it grazing on stalks of corn?
Of course not! It's grazing on GRASS.

Grass is a cow's natural food. Corn and other grains are not.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 14:54:11 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:

>Not a fad at all. The new Hummer H3 proves we are interested in smaller
>cars. The 55 has been change to 65 or 70 though, depending on the state.

Yeah, in Florida the unofficial speed limit is 85.

--
Siobhan Perricone
One trend that bothers me is the glorification of
Posted to rec.food.cooking
BOB BOB is offline

Dee Randall wrote:
:: "Alex Rast" > wrote in message
:: ...
::: at Sat, 25 Mar 2006 04:27:14 GMT in
<52h922hfjnm5gh4s4k0p9vqqs1nm8d94st@
::: 4ax.com>, (Terry Pulliam Burd) wrote :
:::
:::: After the recent discussion about grass fed beef vs. grain fed
beef, I
:::: ordered our usual Allen Bros. ribeyes (grain fed)
::::
[...]
::: --
::: Alex Rast
::
:: http://www.mercola.com/2005/apr/23/beef.htm
:: When you think of a cow in its natural environment, doing what it
naturally
:: does, you likely will picture it grazing. Is it grazing on stalks
of corn?
:: Of course not! It's grazing on GRASS.
::
:: Grass is a cow's natural food. Corn and other grains are not.
::
:: Dee Dee

I dunno. Have you ever seen a cow pasture next to a corn field?
Every time I have and the corn is nearing maturity, the cows are over
at the fence munching on the corn. I can't say whether they are
eating the grain or the stalks, but I'll bet they are eating some of
both.

BOB

--
Raw Meat Should NOT Have An Ingredients List

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> ::
> :: http://www.mercola.com/2005/apr/23/beef.htm
> :: When you think of a cow in its natural environment, doing what it
> naturally
> :: does, you likely will picture it grazing. Is it grazing on stalks of
> corn?
> :: Of course not! It's grazing on GRASS.
> ::
> :: Grass is a cow's natural food. Corn and other grains are not.
> ::
> :: Dee Dee
>
> I dunno. Have you ever seen a cow pasture next to a corn field? Every
> time I have and the corn is nearing maturity, the cows are over at the
> fence munching on the corn. I can't say whether they are eating the grain
> or the stalks, but I'll bet they are eating some of both.
>
> BOB

Hmm, Bob, I was raised on a farm -- we had both cows and corn. But for some
reason the cows were never near the corn patch. Perhaps they weren't
allowed for that very reason. :-)

I do recall tee-pees of corn fodder in an area, and a building full of corn
cobs, but I'm trying to remember who ate this corn, who it was fed to, and
if the cows were actually eating the corn fodder. I do not remember! Not
that I'm getting Alzheimer's, I was on this farm thru 7th grade, but I'll be
darned if I remember those particulars.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I grew up on a small farm in the midwest. In the spring we would buy
yearling calves from local farmers. The yearlings were usually Angus
and Angus crosses with Hereford or Shorthorn. They would eat from the
pasture (mix of grass, clovers, and weeds) during the summer with a
small treat of sweet feed. As the weather got cooler we'd increase the
sweet feed a little at a time to as much as they'd clean up at a
feeding. They got the grain before and after school. They always had
pasture blend grasses and hay. The steers had a much larger and
cleaner area to roam during the feeding process than they would have
ever seen in a feed lot operation. Dad had his own sweet feed formula
and would have it mixed at the grain elevator by the 1/2 ton. When the
weather was cold, and Dad felt that the time was right, he would call
the slaughter man out to the farm to kill, skin, and quarter the
beeves. Mr. Whiteside would arrive at the house at the same time we
would have fed the grain mix. Within 2 hours all (2 to 6) would be
rinsed and wrapped in wet bed sheets and the hanging 1/4s dropped off
at the (locker plant) butcher to age and be processed (cut, wrapped and
frozen) into the packaged cuts of meat. We would keep the organ meats
to process ourselves.

That was about 35 years ago. The county/state changed the rules,
Livestock had to be slaughtered at the same location as the meat
processing, vet inspected, and privately owned meat could not be in the
same hanging locker as meat for resale. Probabably protection from the
unscrupulous that would slaughter a downer (sick or dead animal) and
take it in to be processed anyway.

That was the last year we farm raised and fed our own beef. The meat
quality was significantly lower. Transporting, handling, diet changes
all stress the animals and has a direct impact on the flavor and
quality of the meat. It was significantly more expensive and the
logistics for a small farmer astronomical. Dad also doubted the
integrity or professionalism of the new processing operation as the
quality of the meat would be significantly different from package to
package of the same cuts of meat. There was too much variation in the
size and mass of the bones, meat, fat texture, color and the marbling
was different.

I remember one date I went out on. It was a real event, nice
restaurant and concert. My date recommended the prime rib. I never
ordered beef out before, and recall the meat being fatty and mushy. No
flavor or texture. I would rather eat a pot roast from home. Not his
fault, but what he was accustomed to eating, and I'm sure it must have
been "good", just different from what I expected from beef. Of course,
I was only 17 at the time, fresh off the farm with no clue, thinking
"this is slop, I've thrown better meat away than they are over charging
for in this place". BTW, I did not tell my date that, but it was the
only time in my life I ordered prime rib.

"When you think of a cow in its natural environment, doing what it
naturally
does, you likely will picture it grazing. Is it grazing on stalks of
corn?
Of course not! It's grazing on GRASS.
Grass is a cow's natural food. Corn and other grains are not."

Cattle will eat what they want, if it is available, in season, and if
the variety is there. I've seen them eat dandelion, lambsquarter,
ragweed, wild carrot, onions, fallen fruit, nuts, while standing knee
deep in grass and clover. They will also try to escape the fences
(also not natural) to ransack a corn field or vegetable garden. You
can not confuse the "pictures" with real life. Those bulls on the
"happy cows" commercials aren't. They are black steers with big horns.
You can recognize the sillouette of a bull from a mile away without
seeing the testicals to know it is a bull.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Alex Rast" > wrote in message
> at Sat, 25 Mar 2006 04:27:14 GMT in <52h922hfjnm5gh4s4k0p9vqqs1nm8d94st@
> 4ax.com>, (Terry Pulliam Burd) wrote :
>
>>After the recent discussion about grass fed beef vs. grain fed beef, I
>>ordered our usual Allen Bros. ribeyes (grain fed)

http://www.allenbrothers.com/ and also ordered our newly-found Neff
>>Family Ranch ribeyes (grass fed) http://www.nfrnaturalbeef.com/

> I wonder if that's the deciding factor? I'd hazard a guess that the
> quality
> of grain fed beef and of grass-fed beef ranges from farm to farm. And I
> have a suspicion that quality differences between farms are more
> significant than those between feeding practices. In other words, there
> are
> probably good and bad grass-fed meats, just as there are good and bad
> grain-fed beef. And a good grain-fed vs. a bad grass-fed will win, and
> vice
> versa - so that there's virtually no way to get an "objective" test,
> unless
> you find a farm that does *both* types.

Not to mention the differences in processing. If one takes the time to age
the beef where the other doesn't, you'll see a significant difference in the
meat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not
so great) words of knowledge:

> After the recent discussion about grass fed beef vs. grain fed beef, I
> ordered our usual Allen Bros. ribeyes (grain fed)
> http://www.allenbrothers.com/ and also ordered our newly-found Neff
> Family Ranch ribeyes (grass fed) http://www.nfrnaturalbeef.com/ . We
> will be carefully grilling one of each tomorrow night (Saturday),
> carefully halving each so the DH and I can compare one against the
> other. Will make a full report back. After reading about the feed lots
> (grain fed) cattle, I am hoping that the grass fed beef knocks us off
> our feet. YMMV, but even if it's a wash, I'm inclined to go with grass
> fed henceforth.
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
> AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA
>
> "Most vigitaryans I iver see looked enough like their food to be
> classed as cannybals."
>
> Finley Peter Dunne (1900)
>
> To reply, replace "spaminator" with "cox"

One thing no one seems to mention is that grass feed beef has about 400
times the amount of CO-Q10 enzyme (necessary for proper heart function).
This enzyme is leeched from the body by several different medications,
the most common medication are the "statins" (used for high cholesterol).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

at Sat, 25 Mar 2006 15:22:27 GMT in >,

(Terry Pulliam Burd) wrote :

>>>After the recent discussion about grass fed beef vs. grain fed beef, I
>>>ordered our usual Allen Bros. ribeyes (grain fed)

http://www.allenbrothers.com/ and also ordered our newly-found Neff
>>>Family Ranch ribeyes (grass fed) http://www.nfrnaturalbeef.com/

>> I wonder if that's the deciding factor? I'd hazard a guess that the
>> quality
>> of grain fed beef and of grass-fed beef ranges from farm to farm. And
>> I have a suspicion that quality differences between farms are more
>> significant than those between feeding practices....

>http://www.mercola.com/2005/apr/23/beef.htm
>When you think of a cow in its natural environment, doing what it
>naturally does, you likely will picture it grazing. Is it grazing on
>stalks of corn? Of course not! It's grazing on GRASS.

I'm making no claims as to *nutritional* quality or the ethicality of
different practices. Even there there are probably large differences from
farm to farm but it's wide of the point. My comment is directed at
*sensory* quality - how good does the beef taste? Here I would be willing
to hazard a guess that the variation is too large to make broad categorical
statements.

--
Alex Rast

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 11:46:04 -0700, "D.Currie"
> rummaged among random neurons and
opined:

>Not to mention the differences in processing. If one takes the time to age
>the beef where the other doesn't, you'll see a significant difference in the
>meat.

They're both dry aged, although neither site tells me how long. The
grill's heating up as I keyboard this (and the homefries are sizzling
in the pan, the garlic bread is ready for the oven and the Caesar
salad just needs dressing and tossing).

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

"Most vigitaryans I iver see looked enough like their food to be
classed as cannybals."

Finley Peter Dunne (1900)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 07:51:01 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> rummaged among random neurons
and opined:

>It's lean and flavorful. Lean. Don't overcook it!!

Silly girl, I like my beef so rare that all you need to do is yell,
"FIRE!" at it. (Or "walking wounded" as the DH calls it.)

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

"Most vigitaryans I iver see looked enough like their food to be
classed as cannybals."

Finley Peter Dunne (1900)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:
> >It's lean and flavorful. Lean. Don't overcook it!!

> Silly girl, I like my beef so rare that all you need to do is yell,
> "FIRE!" at it. (Or "walking wounded" as the DH calls it.)
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

Reminds me of my late BIL - "Just walk it through a warm room."
A few years ago I posted about some ground beef from grass-fed beef that
was really tasty IIR -- and about $4/lb. I had it the one time only.
--
-Barb
<www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 3-21-2006 Hot Stuff!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 11:46:04 -0700, "D.Currie"
> > rummaged among random neurons and
> opined:
>
>>Not to mention the differences in processing. If one takes the time to age
>>the beef where the other doesn't, you'll see a significant difference in
>>the
>>meat.
>>

> They're both dry aged, although neither site tells me how long. The
> grill's heating up as I keyboard this (and the homefries are sizzling
> in the pan, the garlic bread is ready for the oven and the Caesar
> salad just needs dressing and tossing).

That's good, then. I bought some locally-raised grass-fed beef, just a few
pieces -- as a sample. If I liked it, I was going to buy a side or quarter
of beef. I decided not to buy any. I'm pretty sure the aging was the
difference. If I find another local supplier, I'll give it another try.

Donna

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 07:51:01 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > rummaged among random neurons
> and opined:
>
> >It's lean and flavorful. Lean. Don't overcook it!!

> Silly girl, I like my beef so rare that all you need to do is yell,
> "FIRE!" at it. (Or "walking wounded" as the DH calls it.)

Ten minutes with a good vet could have it back on its feet, yeah?

Miche

--
WWMVD?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 18:09:12 -0800, Terry Pulliam Burd
> wrote:

>On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 07:51:01 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> rummaged among random neurons
>and opined:
>
>>It's lean and flavorful. Lean. Don't overcook it!!

>Silly girl, I like my beef so rare that all you need to do is yell,
>"FIRE!" at it. (Or "walking wounded" as the DH calls it.)
>
>Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
>AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA
>
>"Most vigitaryans I iver see looked enough like their food to be
>classed as cannybals."
>
>Finley Peter Dunne (1900)
>
>To reply, replace "spaminator" with "cox"

How about cutting off a slice while the cow walks through?

jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 22:11:23 +1200, Miche >
rummaged among random neurons and opined:

>In article >,
> Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 07:51:01 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
>> > rummaged among random neurons
>> and opined:
>>
>> >It's lean and flavorful. Lean. Don't overcook it!!

>> Silly girl, I like my beef so rare that all you need to do is yell,
>> "FIRE!" at it. (Or "walking wounded" as the DH calls it.)

>Ten minutes with a good vet could have it back on its feet, yeah?

Eggsackly.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

"Most vigitaryans I iver see looked enough like their food to be
classed as cannybals."

Finley Peter Dunne (1900)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Grass Fed a vs. Grain Fed Beef: The Cook Off

Beef or cattle are fed grass tillt hey are ready to butcher,
but for a month or so before they are fed grain in the feed lot,
where they are kept in a place where they don't move arround so they can
gain weight faster,
Thy will be fatter with a lot of marble, fat meat is more tender.
Grass fed beef will taste different, it all depends on the type of grass,
same as deer meat, if you shoot a deer that ate a lot of pine branches it
will taste
different than the deer that grazed on alfalfa and corn.
I prefer grass fed beef because it has less fat.
Sergio

"Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message
> After the recent discussion about grass fed beef vs. grain fed beef, I
> ordered our usual Allen Bros. ribeyes (grain fed)
> http://www.allenbrothers.com/ and also ordered our newly-found Neff
> Family Ranch ribeyes (grass fed) http://www.nfrnaturalbeef.com/ . We
> will be carefully grilling one of each tomorrow night (Saturday),
> carefully halving each so the DH and I can compare one against the
> other. Will make a full report back. After reading about the feed lots
> (grain fed) cattle, I am hoping that the grass fed beef knocks us off
> our feet. YMMV, but even if it's a wash, I'm inclined to go with grass
> fed henceforth.
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
> AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA
>
> "Most vigitaryans I iver see looked enough like their food to be
> classed as cannybals."
>
> Finley Peter Dunne (1900)
>
> To reply, replace "spaminator" with "cox"

Posted to rec.food.cooking