Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Rabbits are dumb!

Dave Smith wrote:

> The Bubbo wrote:
>

>>but if my guests are uncomfortable then how can I be comfortable?
>>I mean it's not like I have guests that refuse to eat anything but boxed mac
>>and cheese, they are just as adventurous as i am with food, they just have
>>restrictions.

> IIRC you had mentioned a person who does not eat red meat so you cooked something
> else for him. I have to wonder why he doesn't eat red meat. Some people
> generally avoid is because they believe it to be less healthy than other foods.
> If that is his situation, the occasional serving is not going to hurt him. If is
> is a matter of being squeamish I imagine that he has qualms about other foods
> too. I don't want to have to deal with stuff like that, so I avoid having
> squeamish people for meals. I invite them for other gatherings.

But Dave, that is his choice and IMO if he is a guest in my home, I
should respect that and at the very least offer something else.
Generally if they are vegetarian or vegan or won't eat a certain type of
meat you will know about it *before* they are in your home to eat so a
little inconvenience on your part goes a long way.

>>Generally speaking, it's not like I have the menu set before I invite people
>>over. None of us are kids being invited over to our friend's house for dinner
>>and graciously having to eat what their mom serves.

> That's true. When I have Jewish friends over I don't serve pork or shellfish. I
> realize that if they were strict and kept kosher they wouldn't be coming to dine
> with us anyway, but I accept that there are some things they avoid. But when I
> have my family over and it's peach season, we're having peach pie. The nephew who
> is adamant about his dislike of peaches, and anything red, he is S O L. He can
> bring his own dessert.

So just a question to play devil's advocate, why take into consideration
your Jewish friends' dietary restrictions but not your nephew's. I
*know* you can cover all bases but having an alternative desert
available if only jello would not hurt you all that much, would it?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

~patches~ wrote:

> So just a question to play devil's advocate, why take into consideration
> your Jewish friends' dietary restrictions but not your nephew's. I
> *know* you can cover all bases but having an alternative desert
> available if only jello would not hurt you all that much, would it?

We're talking a 30 year old who has a selection of close to a dozen different choices,
plus fresh fruit, whines "There's nothing I like". When they came for Christmas this
year I told his mother to bring something he likes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> ~patches~ wrote:
>

>>In your country, not mine Our animal shelters are over run and under
>>funded. It seems like the funding is going to more important things
>>like humans. Go figure. Damn gov't can't get anything right!

> Of course they are under -funded. They insist on keeping animals around
> until they are adopted instead of putting them down sooner.
>
> At one place where I worked we had a big vicious dog hanging around for more
> than a week. The local Humane Society came several times to try to coax him
> into a cage. They ended up spending two full days. When they finally got
> the miserable mutt the girl came in to announce it and say how glad she was
> that they finally caught him. I asked why they didn't just shoot him. She
> was shocked and said they wanted to find a home for him. This was a big
> (120 lb. +) make dog who was vicious. No one was going to adopt him. Two
> and a half days of labour for two people plus the cost of feeding that cur
> until they finally accept that no one wants a dog like that.... no wonder
> they don't have money.

Seriously, our local animal shelter is even worse. My postition is I
would hunt then humanely kill the animal *but* only if using for food.
A few years back and in a different house where we heated with wood a
squirrel somehow got into the wood burning stove. We were frantic and
called animal control because it was apparent the animal was suffering.
Their solution - leave it there until it dies then remove it. It took
2 days for the poor thing to actually die. I'm very pragmatic and
follow the law of the farm which is why this rabbit is gone. Our animal
shelter is a joke! It is now charging people $50 to drop off an animal.
The result is, and we are in a rural setting, people dropping of
animals they don't want on our front lawn. People here are really
getting ticked off because the animal shelter is a half hour away and
they have to pay so many have just decided trapping and releasing (a
finable offense) or trapping and killing are better than taking the
animal to the shelter. I'm not making the rules and that's the reality
of the situation here. Some animals have bounties on them so shoot to
kill whether it is humane or not. I think a lot of city folk or
vegetarian just don't understand what others are dealing with.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> ~patches~ wrote:
>

>>>Of course I say that rather tongue in cheek, but personally, I would never
>>>deign to boss my guests around and tell them "eat it or hit the road you
>>>ungrateful coelacanths!!!"
>>>

>>Agreed! If you want to boss your guests around and dictate what they
>>eat, why bother having them as guests? I want people to be comfortable
>>in my home and never leave my table hungry. For that reason, I will
>>take into consideration special dietary needs irregardless of the nature.

> Pshaw. Maybe the power trip is the other way around, with squeamish eaters forcing
> people to cater to them. That means it is they who are trying to be their host's
> boss.
>
> People like that may have their virtues and likely enjoy doing other things. Go out
> for drinks or dinner with them, go to a hockey game or something. Jut don't have
> them over for a meal if you know they are going to be hard to please.

That's not the point Dave. I *want* people to be comfortable in my
home. Part of that experience will more than likely involve food. To
each their own. I'll do what it takes to please my guests but you have
a different viewpoint. No problem.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

~patches~ wrote:

> Seriously, our local animal shelter is even worse. My postition is I
> would hunt then humanely kill the animal *but* only if using for food.
> A few years back and in a different house where we heated with wood a
> squirrel somehow got into the wood burning stove. We were frantic and
> called animal control because it was apparent the animal was suffering.
> Their solution - leave it there until it dies then remove it. It took
> 2 days for the poor thing to actually die. I'm very pragmatic and
> follow the law of the farm which is why this rabbit is gone. Our animal
> shelter is a joke! It is now charging people $50 to drop off an animal.
> The result is, and we are in a rural setting, people dropping of
> animals they don't want on our front lawn.

I live in the country too. When the local towns and cities started limiting the
number of garbage bags you can set out each week and charging to use the local
dumb people started dumping the stuff at the side of the roads around here.

A friend of mine has a dog that was dumped in front of their house. She's a nice
dog. What a prick it would take to dump a dog, or any critter.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> ~patches~ wrote:
>
>> > Of course I say that rather tongue in cheek, but personally, I would

never
>> > deign to boss my guests around and tell them "eat it or hit the road you
>> > ungrateful coelacanths!!!"
>> >

>> Agreed! If you want to boss your guests around and dictate what they
>> eat, why bother having them as guests? I want people to be comfortable
>> in my home and never leave my table hungry. For that reason, I will
>> take into consideration special dietary needs irregardless of the nature.

> Pshaw. Maybe the power trip is the other way around, with squeamish eaters

forcing
> people to cater to them. That means it is they who are trying to be their

host's
> boss.
>
> People like that may have their virtues and likely enjoy doing other things.

Go out
> for drinks or dinner with them, go to a hockey game or something. Jut don't

have
> them over for a meal if you know they are going to be hard to please.

I don't have to invite them and they don't have to come over but I like to
have people over and I like to feed people and I think I can easily say the
people I choose to have as friends aren't a bunch of petty cocks. They've made
their choices either with religion or vegetarianism or whatever and I'm
certainly not one to question the validity of it. They're not 'hard to
please'. If cooking vegetarian ever becomes 'hard' or following muslem dietary
guidelines becomes 'hard' then I'll just stop all together. The hardest diet I
ever had to cook for was the atkins diet, that was difficult but not
impossible, even vegan dinners were easier.

My boyfriend is a vegetarian, I am not, for the most part I don't cook meat
when I make dinner or if I do I make sure he can either fend for himself or he
has a suitable alternative. I don't see him being pushy about it or being hard
to please, he's made his choice and his reasoning is not something i'd
question.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> IIRC you had mentioned a person who does not eat red meat so you cooked

something
> else for him. I have to wonder why he doesn't eat red meat. Some people
> generally avoid is because they believe it to be less healthy than other

foods.
> If that is his situation, the occasional serving is not going to hurt him.

If is
> is a matter of being squeamish I imagine that he has qualms about other

foods
> too. I don't want to have to deal with stuff like that, so I avoid having
> squeamish people for meals. I invite them for other gatherings.

I don't know why he doesn't eat red meat, it's really not my place to question
him and it's none of my business really. He doesn't eat red meat. Period. Who
the hell am I to put a plate of lamb in front of him and say "oh stop being a
baby and just eat it. I went through the effort to make it, you should just be
grateful I invited you."

Not my style. He was invited into my home because I enjoy his company not so I
could play baby napoleon with his meal.

> That's true. When I have Jewish friends over I don't serve pork or

shellfish. I
> realize that if they were strict and kept kosher they wouldn't be coming to

dine
> with us anyway, but I accept that there are some things they avoid. But

when I
> have my family over and it's peach season, we're having peach pie. The

nephew who
> is adamant about his dislike of peaches, and anything red, he is S O L. He

can
> bring his own dessert.

And I'd at least have ice cream or something easy on hand.

> Who is being strict about the menu? Someone is invited for a meal. When you

accept
> an invitation to dinner you should make the effort to be a gracious guest

and
> pretend that you like it or make up an excuse. IMO opinion the one who is

strict
> about the menu is the one who won't eat things.

I think it's perfectly acceptable to not like things. Like I said earlier, I
can't stand mushrooms. I can't stand them at all. I can't even chew them. I'm
not being a big baby, but if you put a plate in front of me, a meal covered in
mushrooms, I could not eat it. I couldn't even pretend to.

> My mother, two of my brothers and on of their wives love lamb. If the SiL

who
> doesn't like lamb is working shifts, I have my brother over for a lamb

dinner. If
> she is coming for dinner we have beef. I am versatile enough to accommodate

her,
> but I don't invite here when we are having something she doesn't like and

cook
> something different for her.

I rarely plan the menu until the guest list is set. That way i don't have to
say, "well I'd invite you but I'm making something you don't like". Or, like
with the lamb dinner, everyone who was coming liked that particular dinner
when I made it, my hairdresser's boyfriend doesn't eat red meat. So, instead
of telling my hairdresser that he could come but his boyfriend could only come
if he ate what I put in front of him or instead of telling them, "gee I'd like
to have you but you won't like what I'm making so don't bother" I just picked
up some mahi mahi and that was that. Easy enough. They were happy, I was
happy, dinner was lovely and no one felt like they had to pretend to be
gracious or thankful.

> Not at all. I cook dinners that I like and share them with my friends and
> relatives. If I am having something they don't like I don't invite them for

that
> meal. Those that don't like anything I prefer not to entertain at all.
>
>> Of course I say that rather tongue in cheek, but personally, I would never
>> deign to boss my guests around and tell them "eat it or hit the road you
>> ungrateful coelacanths!!!"

> :-) What can I say? I am willing to try just about anything. I accept that

when
> I am a guest I should be grateful for the meal and eat what is offered. I

realize
> that some people are not as adventurous. I prefer to not have to deal with

their
> squeamishness.

I like the challenge. I love to entertain and I love to feed people and making
a meal that will please all manner of people is fun.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> ~patches~ wrote:
>

>>So just a question to play devil's advocate, why take into consideration
>>your Jewish friends' dietary restrictions but not your nephew's. I
>>*know* you can cover all bases but having an alternative desert
>>available if only jello would not hurt you all that much, would it?

> We're talking a 30 year old who has a selection of close to a dozen different choices,
> plus fresh fruit, whines "There's nothing I like". When they came for Christmas this
> year I told his mother to bring something he likes.

Ok seriously Dave, this still wouldn't fizz me. I always have good food
on hand so it really is not a big deal. If it is fresh fruit and the
said guest has no allergies, he can choose not to partake much the same
I do. Most of our dinners don't include dessert other than fruit and
I'm sure if so desired he could find something he liked. I certainly
would not ask someone to bring something they like but that's just me
and in no way is meant to be judgemental as you know these people
whereas I don't so it is your call. I'm just saying that in my home I
will go out of the way. I know what is is like so it really doesn't
bother me and there is always something to eat here. You know, you do
bring up a valid point! How far is a host expected to go for a guest?
Now this has not been a problem yet but hey why not discuss this topic?

I will make non-alcoholic clones *if* I'm serving something alcoholic.
I will make lactose free milk available. I've even left off tomatoes in
wraps for those who don't like wraps. One way to deal with the issue is
to have all the fixings and let them assemble their own. For casual get
togethers this works really well. The other way to deal with it for
more formal get together is to either make two dishes of each or make
none of the offending dishes assuming you know the dietary restrictions
in advance, not always possible.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I'm sorry.
I hope this doesn't come across too cranky. I really don't mean to sound
angry. I think this is a good and valid thing to debate and i think both sides
have very valid points. I'm having a crappy morning and I think it's just
coming through in my writing. I think I'll just go make the boy leave the
house for a couple hours and I'll do the dishes or something to get my mind
off things.

So, again, sorry if I sound overly bitchy, I really don't intend to.

The Bubbo wrote:
> [...]

> that
>> meal. Those that don't like anything I prefer not to entertain at all.
>>
>>> Of course I say that rather tongue in cheek, but personally, I would never
>>> deign to boss my guests around and tell them "eat it or hit the road you
>>> ungrateful coelacanths!!!"

>> :-) What can I say? I am willing to try just about anything. I accept

that
> when
>> I am a guest I should be grateful for the meal and eat what is offered. I

> realize
>> that some people are not as adventurous. I prefer to not have to deal with

> their
>> squeamishness.
>>

> I like the challenge. I love to entertain and I love to feed people and

making
> a meal that will please all manner of people is fun.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> ~patches~ wrote:
>

>>Seriously, our local animal shelter is even worse. My postition is I
>>would hunt then humanely kill the animal *but* only if using for food.
>>A few years back and in a different house where we heated with wood a
>>squirrel somehow got into the wood burning stove. We were frantic and
>>called animal control because it was apparent the animal was suffering.
>> Their solution - leave it there until it dies then remove it. It took
>>2 days for the poor thing to actually die. I'm very pragmatic and
>>follow the law of the farm which is why this rabbit is gone. Our animal
>>shelter is a joke! It is now charging people $50 to drop off an animal.
>> The result is, and we are in a rural setting, people dropping of
>>animals they don't want on our front lawn.

> I live in the country too. When the local towns and cities started limiting the
> number of garbage bags you can set out each week and charging to use the local
> dumb people started dumping the stuff at the side of the roads around here.
>
> A friend of mine has a dog that was dumped in front of their house. She's a nice
> dog. What a prick it would take to dump a dog, or any critter.

Ok, this really is sad and I don't mean to dishearten anyone. I
mentioned the animal shelter conditons. We have an extremely strick dog
law here. A person can get a $150 fine if their dog does it's business
on someone's law. A stray dog on anyone's property is fair game to
whatever measures the owner of the property chooses to take. Shoot to
kill is the mantra. It really has curbed the dogs running at loose
thing. The same thing applies to cats. What it doesn't apply to is
drunk! We have one of the highest rates of drunk driving in our county.
I really wish they would do something serious about this but right
now, notta.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

~patches~ wrote:

> Dave Smith wrote:
>
> > ~patches~ wrote:
> >

> >>So just a question to play devil's advocate, why take into consideration
> >>your Jewish friends' dietary restrictions but not your nephew's. I
> >>*know* you can cover all bases but having an alternative desert
> >>available if only jello would not hurt you all that much, would it?

> > We're talking a 30 year old who has a selection of close to a dozen different choices,
> > plus fresh fruit, whines "There's nothing I like". When they came for Christmas this
> > year I told his mother to bring something he likes.
> >

> Ok seriously Dave, this still wouldn't fizz me. I always have good food
> on hand so it really is not a big deal. If it is fresh fruit and the
> said guest has no allergies, he can choose not to partake much the same
> I do.

It wouldn't??? What are willing to do to please a guest who is that finicky? We had a
Christmas pudding, mince meat tarts, brownies, short breads, fruit cake, plus a variety of
cookies, including some that his mother had made. There was a variety of fresh fruits. I
consider that a pretty good assortment of desserts.

> Most of our dinners don't include dessert other than fruit and
> I'm sure if so desired he could find something he liked.

One would expect. There were more than a dozen people and everyone else was able to find
something to their liking.

> I certainly
> would not ask someone to bring something they like but that's just me
> and in no way is meant to be judgemental as you know these people
> whereas I don't so it is your call.

I know there is no pleasing this guy. I gave up trying a long time ago. He is way too old to
expect to expect his finicky appetite be pampered, and I am too old to bother.

> I'm just saying that in my home I will go out of the way.

Host someone like that a couple times a year for 30 years, come to the conclusion that there
is no pleasing him and see how much longer you will be willing to indulge that behaviour :-)

> I know what is is like so it really doesn't
> bother me and there is always something to eat here.

For most people there would be enough to eat. Most people are easy to please, or they at
least have the manners to make it through a meal without pouting about how no one has
catered to them specifically.

> You know, you do
> bring up a valid point! How far is a host expected to go for a guest?

I thought so. :-)

> Now this has not been a problem yet but hey why not discuss this topic?
>
> I will make non-alcoholic clones *if* I'm serving something alcoholic.

I serve beer, wine, mixed drinks, soft drinks, juice. If I am whipping up a batch of
marguaritas or something like that, please don't expect me to whip up a non alcoholic
version.

> I will make lactose free milk available.

I am lactose intolerant. I can't remember ever liking milk. Maybe I did some time before I
learned to associate it with the pain and discomfort that it causes. I don't drink milk and
I see no reason to get a substitute for something I don't like. I don't know many adults
who drink milk when they go out. If someone brings a lactose intolerant kid, and they know
the kid will drink that soya based milk like product, they are welcome to keep it cold in my
fridge. I am not buying it on spec.

> I've even left off tomatoes in wraps for those who don't like wraps. One way to deal
> with the issue is to have all the fixings and let them assemble their own.

That should be safe. Tomatoes and lettuce are near the top of the list of things I need to
avoid, so I would probably leave them out. If someone serves me pasta with tomato sauce I
will have a small helping and easy on the sauce, and then I will deal with the side effects.

> For casual get togethers this works really well. The other way to deal with it for
> more formal get together is to either make two dishes of each or make
> none of the offending dishes assuming you know the dietary restrictions
> in advance, not always possible.

Hey, I never said that I refuse to adapt a meal to a guest's known food problems, other than
refusing to cater to vegans. They can stuff themselves on anything that fits into their
animal product free diet, as long as they get to the veggies before my wife smothers them in
butter. Just don't show up here unexpected and then get us to scour the cupboards for food
that fits your diet and that you like just as we are sitting down to eat with 15 other
guests. It ain't going to happen .... again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> ~patches~ wrote:
>

>> Seriously, our local animal shelter is even worse. My postition is I
>> would hunt then humanely kill the animal *but* only if using for food.
>> A few years back and in a different house where we heated with wood a
>> squirrel somehow got into the wood burning stove. We were frantic and
>> called animal control because it was apparent the animal was suffering.
>> Their solution - leave it there until it dies then remove it. It took
>> 2 days for the poor thing to actually die. I'm very pragmatic and
>> follow the law of the farm which is why this rabbit is gone. Our animal
>> shelter is a joke! It is now charging people $50 to drop off an animal.
>> The result is, and we are in a rural setting, people dropping of
>> animals they don't want on our front lawn.

> I live in the country too. When the local towns and cities started limiting

the
> number of garbage bags you can set out each week and charging to use the

local
> dumb people started dumping the stuff at the side of the roads around here.
>
> A friend of mine has a dog that was dumped in front of their house. She's a

nice
> dog. What a prick it would take to dump a dog, or any critter.

That just infuriates me, especially with dogs because they're so damned dopey
loyal to their owners even if their owners are total pricks. Both of my dogs
are from shelters, Ghengis was part of an unwanted litter and Maddie was
turned over after some pretty hefty 'suggestion' to her previous owners since
they were abusive and neglectful of her.

There are shelters for animals everywhere and leaving a family pet to fend for
himself in the wild or around busy streets is crueler than just having him put
down. Do these people imagine that the dogs enjoy being scared and lonely?
Hungry and subject to the elements? Constantly being threatened by traffic or
predators or whatever?

I can't imagine either of my dogs left on their own, it would break my heart.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

~patches~ wrote:

> Ok, this really is sad and I don't mean to dishearten anyone. I
> mentioned the animal shelter conditons. We have an extremely strick dog
> law here. A person can get a $150 fine if their dog does it's business
> on someone's law.

We have leash laws and poop and scoop laws here too, but they are not usually enforced.
I see people out walking their dogs carrying plastic bags and going through the motions
of cleaning up. I live in the country and my dogs sometimes go on the neighbour's lawn
and their dogs sometimes go on our lawn. Neither of us worries about it. The properties
are big enough that it is not a problem. I clean the parts near the house. Sometimes
it's my dog's and sometimes it is the neighbour's dog's crap. When I have a bushel of
crap to clean up in the spring an extra turn or two is no big deal.

> A stray dog on anyone's property is fair game to
> whatever measures the owner of the property chooses to take.

We have a similar understanding about our dogs running loose. Their dogs come and
visit here and my dogs go and visit there. We keep them away from the neighbours on the
other side who aren't dog people. The local dog owners have had a long standing
agreement to deal with each other if they have dog problems instead of calling animal
control. There has only been one problem dog and when the owner say it attack one of
our kittens they started chaining him up.

> The same thing applies to cats. What it doesn't apply to is
> drunk! We have one of the highest rates of drunk driving in our county.
> I really wish they would do something serious about this but right
> now, notta.

Does it have a high rate because they are more drunks, more drinking and driving
accidents or they are just more active in catching them?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I was lurking in this news group when i came across your post and my
guess is the little thing is hungry...I am guessing you are a very
thoughtful and nice lady and would not like to see any thing go hungry
so try planting clover in a patch where it can find it...i live in the
country and had to run the rabbits out of my drive= way so i could drive
but never had any damage from them. my husband says it is because we
have so much clover around... makes sense if they have enough to eat of
what they like they wont damage you i wish you luck.....

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Bubbo wrote:

> Dave Smith wrote:
>
>>~patches~ wrote:
>>

>>>Seriously, our local animal shelter is even worse. My postition is I
>>>would hunt then humanely kill the animal *but* only if using for food.
>>>A few years back and in a different house where we heated with wood a
>>>squirrel somehow got into the wood burning stove. We were frantic and
>>>called animal control because it was apparent the animal was suffering.
>>> Their solution - leave it there until it dies then remove it. It took
>>>2 days for the poor thing to actually die. I'm very pragmatic and
>>>follow the law of the farm which is why this rabbit is gone. Our animal
>>>shelter is a joke! It is now charging people $50 to drop off an animal.
>>> The result is, and we are in a rural setting, people dropping of
>>>animals they don't want on our front lawn.

>>I live in the country too. When the local towns and cities started limiting

> the
>
>>number of garbage bags you can set out each week and charging to use the

> local
>
>>dumb people started dumping the stuff at the side of the roads around here.
>>
>>A friend of mine has a dog that was dumped in front of their house. She's a

> nice
>
>>dog. What a prick it would take to dump a dog, or any critter.
>>

> That just infuriates me, especially with dogs because they're so damned dopey
> loyal to their owners even if their owners are total pricks. Both of my dogs
> are from shelters, Ghengis was part of an unwanted litter and Maddie was
> turned over after some pretty hefty 'suggestion' to her previous owners since
> they were abusive and neglectful of her.
>
> There are shelters for animals everywhere and leaving a family pet to fend for
> himself in the wild or around busy streets is crueler than just having him put
> down. Do these people imagine that the dogs enjoy being scared and lonely?
> Hungry and subject to the elements? Constantly being threatened by traffic or
> predators or whatever?
>
> I can't imagine either of my dogs left on their own, it would break my heart.

But if you live in a rural area it becomes a dumping ground for unwanted
pets and garbage. It is a sad fact but the people doing so really don't
care. I've picked up so many stray animals because of this. The animal
shelter is so overstretched they are charge if you drop off an animal
and recently they have taken to destroy on site. People here are forced
to deal with the problem and either releasing (something that could get
you fined depending on the animal) or destroying the animal. There
isn't a lot of choice. Some animals have bounties on them and seriously
a rogue dog is likely to get it's butt filled with buckshot. These
aren't my rules but some here need to understand that animal shelters
and what they think of as humane measures are not an option here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> ~patches~ wrote:
>

>>Dave Smith wrote:

>>>We're talking a 30 year old who has a selection of close to a dozen different choices,
>>>plus fresh fruit, whines "There's nothing I like". When they came for Christmas this
>>>year I told his mother to bring something he likes.
>>>

>>Ok seriously Dave, this still wouldn't fizz me. I always have good food
>>on hand so it really is not a big deal. If it is fresh fruit and the
>>said guest has no allergies, he can choose not to partake much the same
>>I do.

Ok Dave, if you don't mind I'm going to answer this in two parts. I
hope that is ok. I need time to digest what you wrote and put it in
perserpective without making a knee jerk response. Before I read your
response my reply would remain the same.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Margaret Suran > wrote:

> Victor Sack wrote:
> > Margaret Suran > wrote:

> *recipe snipped*
>
> >>Are you out of your mind? You cannot encourage the slaughter of
> >>little Bunnies. For all you know, someone will soon be eating
> >>Langoehrchen or Weisspfoetchen.

> > All that Playboy stuff in the trollop family newsgroup...

> You should talk, after wanting to kill those Bunnies!

Never said anything about wanting to kill 'em!

> >> Or how to kill Die Biene Maya, to get at her honey.
> >>For shame!

> > Die Biene Maja has always been completely useless and certainly never
> > even thought of producing honey.

> Bubba Vic, Oh, I misspelled her name!

This is not a spelling bee... Anyway, that drone doesn't deserve any
better.

> It was one of my favorite
> books. With your evil ways, I will not be surprised if you will post
> a recipe for deep fried honey bees. (

Tout ce que ton coeur désire! From
<http://www.fao.org/docrep/w0076e/w0076e19.htm>:

Garlic butter fried bees

1/4 cup Butter or cooking oil
6 cloves Garlic
1 cup Cleaned bees (larvae)

Heat the oil or butter over low heat in a frying-pan or pot. Slowly fry
the garlic so that in about 5 minutes it is slightly brown. Add the
insects and continue frying at the same temperature for another 10 to 15
minutes, stirring occasionally. Do not overheat or the garlic will burn.

And here is what they look like:
<http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b290/hmk/IMG_1051.jpg>.

Bubba Vic
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Victor Sack wrote:
> Margaret Suran > wrote:
>

>>Victor Sack wrote:

>>*recipe snipped*

>>>All that Playboy stuff in the trollop family newsgroup...

>>You should talk, after wanting to kill those Bunnies!

> Never said anything about wanting to kill 'em!

>>>Die Biene Maja has always been completely useless and certainly never
>>>even thought of producing honey.

>>Bubba Vic, Oh, I misspelled her name!

> This is not a spelling bee... Anyway, that drone doesn't deserve any
> better.
>

>> It was one of my favorite
>>books. With your evil ways, I will not be surprised if you will post
>>a recipe for deep fried honey bees. (

> Tout ce que ton coeur désire! From
> <http://www.fao.org/docrep/w0076e/w0076e19.htm>:
>
> Garlic butter fried bees
>
> 1/4 cup Butter or cooking oil
> 6 cloves Garlic
> 1 cup Cleaned bees (larvae)
>
> Heat the oil or butter over low heat in a frying-pan or pot. Slowly fry
> the garlic so that in about 5 minutes it is slightly brown. Add the
> insects and continue frying at the same temperature for another 10 to 15
> minutes, stirring occasionally. Do not overheat or the garlic will burn.
>
> And here is what they look like:
> <http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b290/hmk/IMG_1051.jpg>.
>
> Bubba Vic

When I stop crying, I will send you a nasty email. ( That picture
sure is disgusting!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bubba Vic wrote:

> Garlic butter fried bees
>
> 1/4 cup Butter or cooking oil
> 6 cloves Garlic
> 1 cup Cleaned bees (larvae)
>
> Heat the oil or butter over low heat in a frying-pan or pot. Slowly fry
> the garlic so that in about 5 minutes it is slightly brown. Add the
> insects and continue frying at the same temperature for another 10 to 15
> minutes, stirring occasionally. Do not overheat or the garlic will burn.
>
> And here is what they look like:
> <http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b290/hmk/IMG_1051.jpg>.

It's posts like this which keep me coming back to RFC day after day!

Looking at that picture, I see that the diner is using chopsticks, which
leads me to believe that the recipe is Asian in origin. However, butter is
not the cooking fat of choice in most Asian cuisines, so I wonder whether
this is some kind of French-Chinese fusion recipe.

I'm also curious about the term "cleaned" bees. Does this mean that the bee
larvae are simply washed, or is it a reference to gutting or otherwise
processing them?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Glitter Ninja wrote:

> She said that her daughter planned to be a veterinarian when she grew
> up and wanted to help animals, not eat them. What the hell is your
> problem? Someone who disagrees with you is ignorant? And that "no
> offense but <insert insult here>" crap is so damned condescending.

Immediately after that I wrote, "And that's okay. Kids are
supposed to be that way. It's that pesky knowledge thing that chases
us all out of the innocence garden of eden, eventually. "

To be clear about it so you can untwist your knickers, wanting to be a
vegetarian because she loves animals is the kind of thing innocent
little children say. When they grow up and learn more about animals
and about food most of them stop saying things like that. "Ignorant"
means "not knowing." I am ignorant about many things, it's not an
insult. The answer to it is to learn, it's not to get defensive.
-aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Kanter wrote:

> Do you know how beef cattle are terminated?

Yes, I do - I have seen it being done. What does that have to do with
her choosing to kill a pet rather than take it to the shelter where it
will be rehomed?

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> Of course they are under -funded. They insist on keeping animals around
> until they are adopted instead of putting them down sooner.
>
> At one place where I worked we had a big vicious dog hanging around for more
> than a week. The local Humane Society came several times to try to coax him
> into a cage. They ended up spending two full days. When they finally got
> the miserable mutt the girl came in to announce it and say how glad she was
> that they finally caught him. I asked why they didn't just shoot him. She
> was shocked and said they wanted to find a home for him. This was a big
> (120 lb. +) make dog who was vicious. No one was going to adopt him. Two
> and a half days of labour for two people plus the cost of feeding that cur
> until they finally accept that no one wants a dog like that.... no wonder
> they don't have money.

I can assure you that is the exception and not the rule. Most vicious
animals are euthanized after they are assessed as being vicious.
-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

~patches~ > writes:

>By your standards, not mine. I have found that city folk with less
>exposure to wild life and growing their own food often differ in opinion
>from those who do grow their own food.

I'm nowhere near "city folk" and I don't agree with the idea of
killing the rabbit, which I'm sure you already are aware of.
Look, it has already been bred, housed, and let go irresponsibly by
humans. We as humans have a responsibility to treat animals well, just
by virtue of having the power to do so. We're in charge here and we
have the choice to take care of those that can't take care of themselves
-- and animals definitely qualify. This poor rabbit is going to get
shot or eaten because of some jerk's actions, when he should be enjoying
a nice life in someone's house, being loved and taken care of.
And yeah, I do think the rabbit's life is more important than your
radishes or whatever. Sorry.
Do you live in the Midwest at all? I'll come get the rabbit if you
trap it or pay the humane society fees when you drop it off. Seriously.
Email me.

Stacia
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Glitter Ninja wrote:

> ~patches~ > writes:
>

>>By your standards, not mine. I have found that city folk with less
>>exposure to wild life and growing their own food often differ in opinion

>>from those who do grow their own food.

> I'm nowhere near "city folk" and I don't agree with the idea of
> killing the rabbit, which I'm sure you already are aware of.
> Look, it has already been bred, housed, and let go irresponsibly by
> humans. We as humans have a responsibility to treat animals well, just
> by virtue of having the power to do so. We're in charge here and we
> have the choice to take care of those that can't take care of themselves
> -- and animals definitely qualify. This poor rabbit is going to get
> shot or eaten because of some jerk's actions, when he should be enjoying
> a nice life in someone's house, being loved and taken care of.
> And yeah, I do think the rabbit's life is more important than your
> radishes or whatever. Sorry.
> Do you live in the Midwest at all? I'll come get the rabbit if you
> trap it or pay the humane society fees when you drop it off. Seriously.
> Email me.
>
> Stacia

Stacia, no I live in Ontario. I hadn't seen the rabbit in a couple of
days and the pepper trails show no disturbances. I was hoping it moved
on before my neighbours see it. He showed up about an hour ago and my
one neighbour is running around with his pellet gun. I haven't heard
anything so I'm assuming so far the rabbit is winning.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger > wrote:

> Bubba Vic wrote:
>
> > Garlic butter fried bees
> >
> > 1/4 cup Butter or cooking oil
> > 6 cloves Garlic
> > 1 cup Cleaned bees (larvae)
> >
> > Heat the oil or butter over low heat in a frying-pan or pot. Slowly fry
> > the garlic so that in about 5 minutes it is slightly brown. Add the
> > insects and continue frying at the same temperature for another 10 to 15
> > minutes, stirring occasionally. Do not overheat or the garlic will burn.
> >
> > And here is what they look like:
> > <http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b290/hmk/IMG_1051.jpg>.

> It's posts like this which keep me coming back to RFC day after day!
>
> Looking at that picture, I see that the diner is using chopsticks, which
> leads me to believe that the recipe is Asian in origin. However, butter is
> not the cooking fat of choice in most Asian cuisines, so I wonder whether
> this is some kind of French-Chinese fusion recipe.

Ha! The recipe and the picture are unrelated, the former being from
<http://www.fao.org/docrep/w0076e/w0076e19.htm>, the latter actually
from <http://www.candidhq.com/blogs/hannah/003587.html>. The latter is
indeed Chinese. There are also a couple good ones at
<http://pengsan.fotopages.com/?entry=143430>. All the pictures show
actual bees, not just larvae.

> I'm also curious about the term "cleaned" bees. Does this mean that the bee
> larvae are simply washed, or is it a reference to gutting or otherwise
> processing them?

This is explained on the Web site of the recipe...
<quote>
Since larvae defecate just before pupation, larvae and pupae should be
washed in clean water before further processing. Pupae will have clean,
empty intestines.

Another method (Schmidt and Buchmann, 1992) uses a small jet of water
from a laboratory wash bottle to remove individual larvae from their
cells. The author had reasonable success flooding one side of an
uncapped comb. All the cells were filled with clean water, and then the
larvae and pupae were shaken out [...]
</quote>

Bubba Vic

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"-L." > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Doug Kanter wrote:
>>
>> Do you know how beef cattle are terminated?

> Yes, I do - I have seen it being done. What does that have to do with
> her choosing to kill a pet rather than take it to the shelter where it
> will be rehomed?
>
> -L.

If it was a chicken and you knew how to prepare it for cooking, would you
take it to a shelter, or show it into the pot?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Kanter wrote:

> If it was a chicken and you knew how to prepare it for cooking, would you
> take it to a shelter, or show it into the pot?

If it was a chicken (or horse or cow or guinea pig) that had been
somones pet, I would take it to a shelter. If it was a wild chicken I
would leave it alone.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

~patches~ wrote:

> In your country, not mine

I don't know anyone who would argue that killing a healthy former-pet
is more humane than allowing it to live. That must be one ****ed up
country you live in.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"-L." > wrote in message
oups.com...

> ~patches~ wrote:
>> >

>> In your country, not mine

> I don't know anyone who would argue that killing a healthy former-pet
> is more humane than allowing it to live. That must be one ****ed up
> country you live in.
>
> -L.

In New York, the law really doesn't differentiate between pets or "other"
animals, in certain situations. Once an animal's off its property, it
becomes "wildlife". The definitions of "farm", "cultivated" and "wildlife"
in this law have been tested nicely in the courts, and precedent may now
include cute little bunnies, as well as your neighbor's stinking dog.

http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/d...ife/damage.htm

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote in message
> "Doug Kanter" > hitched up their panties and
> posted :
>

>> In New York, the law really doesn't differentiate between pets or
>> "other" animals, in certain situations. Once an animal's off its
>> property, it becomes "wildlife". The definitions of "farm",
>> "cultivated" and "wildlife" in this law have been tested nicely in the
>> courts, and precedent may now include cute little bunnies, as well as
>> your neighbor's stinking dog.
>>
>> http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/d...ife/damage.htm

> So you would cook and eat the neighbor's dog according to New York state's
> law?
>
> Michael

I don't know - I haven't tried it yet. But, my son has a friend in school
whose parents came here from Vietnam, and the mom is one hell of a cook.
When I was in Rome in the late 1960s, I saw dogs hanging in a butcher shop.
Maybe I'll query one of the ancient Italian ladies in my neighborhood.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Bubbo wrote:

> That just infuriates me, especially with dogs because they're so damned dopey
> loyal to their owners even if their owners are total pricks. Both of my dogs
> are from shelters, Ghengis was part of an unwanted litter and Maddie was
> turned over after some pretty hefty 'suggestion' to her previous owners since
> they were abusive and neglectful of her.
>
> There are shelters for animals everywhere and leaving a family pet to fend for
> himself in the wild or around busy streets is crueler than just having him put
> down. Do these people imagine that the dogs enjoy being scared and lonely?
> Hungry and subject to the elements? Constantly being threatened by traffic or
> predators or whatever?
>
> I can't imagine either of my dogs left on their own, it would break my heart.

I can imagine one of my dogs having that done to him, but not by me.
I got a dog from the pound on a rebound when I lost my last retriever. We went to
three local pounds and saw lots of nice looking dogs with bad habits. I then I
spotted "Harry". He was a huge pup and gorgeous. It was love at fist sight. He
was a 1 1/2 year old mutt that we were told was Irish Wolfhound but turned out to
be a Bouvier and German Shepherd mix. He is a beautiful dog, but he is stupid and
was totally untrained. He wasn't house trained, he went berserk anytime someone
walked down our road or a car pulled in the driveway. He wasn't leash trained.
When I put him in the kennel that my Labs had used years within an hour he had
worn a path around the inside edge and turned the entire thing to mutt by teh next
day.

I had to house train Harry. I had to leash train him. I had to get him to cut back
on the barking in the house, so sit, lay, stay, come when called. He learned. He
had never been trained. He must have driven his previous owner crazy. I almost
took him back to the pound. I

Harry has turned into a really nice dog. He learned to behave. He mellowed with
age. I now walk him without a leash and he will heel beautifully. Then I can set
him loose and he comes running back when called.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

-L. wrote:

> Doug Kanter wrote:
>
>>If it was a chicken and you knew how to prepare it for cooking, would you
>>take it to a shelter, or show it into the pot?

> If it was a chicken (or horse or cow or guinea pig) that had been
> somones pet, I would take it to a shelter. If it was a wild chicken I
> would leave it alone.
>
> -L.

If that chicken were damaging your garden or had the possibilty of
disease or since you have a kid, crapping all over your yard, would you
just leave it alone? So far the rabbit is still hanging out here but
the pepper seems to be keeping it out of the garden for the time being.
One of my kids gave it a nasty scare yesterday so perhaps that will be
more of an incentive to move along. And when I first posted about this
rabbit, I said it looks to have been someone's pet. I have no idea
whether it was or not. The point is you have a much different idea of
wild life than I do. Wild life that causes damage is either trapped and
releases at some distance or destroyed. That's the way it works here.
No one is going to drive a half hour one way with a trapped animal then
pay fees to drop it off. Sorry, it just isn't going to happen. The
person who lived in our house prior to us had 8 cats. All but one were
left behind outside. One by one all were either trapped or shot and not
by us. The same thing will happen to this rabbit. The difference is
rabbit is good eating so whoever traps or kills it will definitely cook
it up. It's just a matter of who does it. And before you ask, no I
don't shoot anything.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

-L. wrote:

> ~patches~ wrote:
>
>>In your country, not mine

> I don't know anyone who would argue that killing a healthy former-pet
> is more humane than allowing it to live. That must be one ****ed up
> country you live in.
>
> -L.

Yep, lets paint the whole country with the same paint brush I said
it appeared to be a pet, no way of knowing for sure. I also have no
idea whether it is healthy or not. Just because you don't eat meat,
doesn't mean other don't. That rabbit will make a dandy stew! <evil
grin> BTW, wild rabbits are caught and ate here all the time as are
musk rats, deer, moose, ducks and squirrels. If you think no one in the
US eats this kind of stuff, you are sadly in need of an education. I
hear tell you even had one criminal who ate humans Oh yes, as well we
have a bounty on foxes. Its shoot to kill and you get a reward for
doing that. I'm pretty sure that is the same as some places in the US.

I'm very pragmatic. My garden feeds us for most of the year. Rabbits
and gardens cannot co-exist. Humans are more important than animals so
the rabbit goes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 20 Mar 2006 07:50:34a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it ~patches~?

> -L. wrote:
>
>> ~patches~ wrote:
>>
>>>In your country, not mine

>> I don't know anyone who would argue that killing a healthy former-pet
>> is more humane than allowing it to live. That must be one ****ed up
>> country you live in.
>>
>> -L.
>>

> Yep, lets paint the whole country with the same paint brush I said
> it appeared to be a pet, no way of knowing for sure. I also have no
> idea whether it is healthy or not. Just because you don't eat meat,
> doesn't mean other don't. That rabbit will make a dandy stew! <evil
> grin> BTW, wild rabbits are caught and ate here all the time as are
> musk rats, deer, moose, ducks and squirrels. If you think no one in the
> US eats this kind of stuff, you are sadly in need of an education. I
> hear tell you even had one criminal who ate humans Oh yes, as well we
> have a bounty on foxes. Its shoot to kill and you get a reward for
> doing that. I'm pretty sure that is the same as some places in the US.
>
> I'm very pragmatic. My garden feeds us for most of the year. Rabbits
> and gardens cannot co-exist. Humans are more important than animals so
> the rabbit goes.

So why isn't it gone by now instead of discussing it ad infinitum?

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:

> "Doug Kanter" > hitched up their panties and
> posted :
>

>>In New York, the law really doesn't differentiate between pets or
>>"other" animals, in certain situations. Once an animal's off its
>>property, it becomes "wildlife". The definitions of "farm",
>>"cultivated" and "wildlife" in this law have been tested nicely in the
>>courts, and precedent may now include cute little bunnies, as well as
>>your neighbor's stinking dog.
>>
>>http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/d...ife/damage.htm

> So you would cook and eat the neighbor's dog according to New York state's
> law?

Well it would solve the problem of the dog running loose, wouldn't it?
I wonder if you would have to marinate it? Perhaps seeing their dog
rotating on your bbq spit would send a very clear message to the
neighbour without you having to say a word or even eat the dog

> Michael

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:

> "Doug Kanter" > hitched up their panties and
> posted :
>

>>I don't know - I haven't tried it yet. But, my son has a friend in
>>school whose parents came here from Vietnam, and the mom is one hell
>>of a cook. When I was in Rome in the late 1960s, I saw dogs hanging in
>>a butcher shop. Maybe I'll query one of the ancient Italian ladies in
>>my neighborhood.

> LOL... I'll tell you one thing, dogs hanging in a butcher shop would damned
> near do me in. There are just some things I'll never eat. Dog is one meat
> I've never, and will never, knowingly eaten. Actually I saw a show on dog
> as food years ago. IIRC it was Vietnam also. I was so disturbed by it I
> turned it off mid-show.
>
> Michael

The question would be whether the dog was fed on that fancy store bought
food stuff or was free range
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"~patches~" > wrote in message
> Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
>
>> "Doug Kanter" > hitched up their panties and
>> posted :
>>>In New York, the law really doesn't differentiate between pets or
>>>"other" animals, in certain situations. Once an animal's off its
>>>property, it becomes "wildlife". The definitions of "farm",
>>>"cultivated" and "wildlife" in this law have been tested nicely in the
>>>courts, and precedent may now include cute little bunnies, as well as
>>>your neighbor's stinking dog.
>>>http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/d...ife/damage.htm

>> So you would cook and eat the neighbor's dog according to New York
>> state's law?

> Well it would solve the problem of the dog running loose, wouldn't it? I
> wonder if you would have to marinate it? Perhaps seeing their dog
> rotating on your bbq spit would send a very clear message to the neighbour
> without you having to say a word or even eat the dog
>>
>> Michael

I'd feed it to my cat, to help her develop a taste for fresh dog. Her mouth
already waters when she sees the school bus go by - she's ready to big game.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doug Kanter" > wrote in message

> I'd feed it to my cat, to help her develop a taste for fresh dog. Her
> mouth already waters when she sees the school bus go by - she's ready to
> big game.

"to big game"??? Oh boy. FOR big game. That's better.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Kanter wrote:

> In New York, the law really doesn't differentiate between pets or "other"
> animals, in certain situations. Once an animal's off its property, it
> becomes "wildlife". The definitions of "farm", "cultivated" and "wildlife"
> in this law have been tested nicely in the courts, and precedent may now
> include cute little bunnies, as well as your neighbor's stinking dog.
>
> http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/d...ife/damage.htm

I don't care about laws. She knows this is a former pet. If that's
the case, the humane thing to do is shelter it.
-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

~patches~ wrote:

> If that chicken were damaging your garden or had the possibilty of
> disease or since you have a kid, crapping all over your yard, would you
> just leave it alone?

if you are talking about the wild chicken, there are ways to scare away
unwanted foul - one is to put a large beachball in your yard and let
the wind blow it around. Thsi also works well for ponds and swimming
pools.

>So far the rabbit is still hanging out here but
> the pepper seems to be keeping it out of the garden for the time being.
> One of my kids gave it a nasty scare yesterday so perhaps that will be
> more of an incentive to move along. And when I first posted about this
> rabbit, I said it looks to have been someone's pet. I have no idea
> whether it was or not. The point is you have a much different idea of
> wild life than I do.

Obviously.

>Wild life that causes damage is either trapped and
> releases at some distance or destroyed. That's the way it works here.
> No one is going to drive a half hour one way with a trapped animal then
> pay fees to drop it off. Sorry, it just isn't going to happen.

You all suck then.

>The
> person who lived in our house prior to us had 8 cats. All but one were
> left behind outside. One by one all were either trapped or shot and not
> by us.

That's really something to be proud of.

> The same thing will happen to this rabbit. The difference is
> rabbit is good eating so whoever traps or kills it will definitely cook
> it up. It's just a matter of who does it. And before you ask, no I
> don't shoot anything.

That's just a really assholy way to deal with an animal that you
believe to be a former pet. God forbid you should have some compassion
for other living creatures.

And yet people still wonder why this workld is so ****ed up...

-L.

rabbits, partly ot Stormmee Barbecue 75 19-07-2010 10:22 AM
Oh, No !!! Now I've Got Trouble With Rabbits !!! Mark Thorson General Cooking 50 24-09-2008 07:17 PM
Rabbits Dee Randall General Cooking 28 16-04-2006 11:01 PM
USDA calls Rabbits, chickens Beach Runner Vegan 3 08-08-2005 02:28 PM
What is so wrong with keeping rabbits in hutches? Ramset Recipes 3 07-04-2005 11:10 PM