Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Rabbits are dumb!

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> There are a number of ways to prepare bunny.
> My personal favorite is southern fried...

Poor widdle wabbit...how can you not look into those big sweet eyes and not
feel sorry...??? :-(

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gregory Morrow"
<gregorymorrowEMERGENCYCANCELLATIONARCHIMEDES@eart hlink.net> wrote in
message nk.net...

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
>> There are a number of ways to prepare bunny.
>> My personal favorite is southern fried...

> Poor widdle wabbit...how can you not look into those big sweet eyes and
> not
> feel sorry...??? :-(
>
> --
> Best
> Greg

It helps to first look at an entire row of lettuce that's been destroyed.
The, the rabbit simply becomes a target.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
~patches~ > wrote:

> I'd say 99% of our dinner meals are served with salad and always a
> couple of vegetable offerings. If I know specifically that someone is
> vegan or vegetarian, I will offer more choices. It's important to me
> that people feel comfortable in our home and I would be greatly insulted
> if anyone ever left my table hungry. To me, the meal is secondary to
> maintaining good family and friend relationships. The meal just helps
> to reinforce those relationships Doing something a little extra for
> people goes a long way. Make sense?

It does, and I do the same. However, unless the vegetarian is the
only guest, I won't make the whole meal around their food issues.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
(Glitter Ninja) wrote:

> sarah bennett > writes:
> >Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> People have free will, you know. If someone doesn't want to eat
> rabbits or cows or frogs for whatever reason, they shouldn't have to put
> up with your intolerance and insults about it.

And Patches shouldn't have had to endure the comments that if she was
a "nice," "decent" person she wouldn't eat the rabbit. It cuts both
ways.

> She said that her daughter planned to be a veterinarian when she grew
> up and wanted to help animals, not eat them. What the hell is your
> problem? Someone who disagrees with you is ignorant? And that "no
> offense but <insert insult here>" crap is so damned condescending.

Read for comprehension, aem wasn't talking about a person in this
thread. "There was a thread a day or two ago in which the poster
described _HIS_ ..." emphasis mine. As for condescension, tell that to
the veggies who inform all and sundry of the evils of what they are
eating and the PETA types who claim that Jesus was a vegetarian. In The
Man Who Ate Everything, vegetarians were described as failed omnivores.
I tend to agree. Either by God or through evolution, pick your origin,
humans were put at the top of the food chain. There are some amino
acids and some forms of vitamin B which are not available outside of
meat. Someone who fails to eat meat, because they can't stand the
thought of those poor little animals dying has been too far removed from
the food chain.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> In article >, (Glitter
> Ninja) wrote:
>
>> sarah bennett > writes:

>> People have free will, you know. If someone doesn't want to eat rabbits
>> or cows or frogs for whatever reason, they shouldn't have to put up with
>> your intolerance and insults about it.

> And Patches shouldn't have had to endure the comments that if she was a
> "nice," "decent" person she wouldn't eat the rabbit. It cuts both ways.

It's funny. I think I can see most "meativores" saying the same thing if they caught someone eating a dog or cat (I know someone who has eaten dog in Korea). Rabbits can be pets too.

> As for condescension, tell that to the veggies who
> inform all and sundry of the evils of what they are eating and the PETA
> types who claim that Jesus was a vegetarian. In The Man Who Ate
> Everything, vegetarians were described as failed omnivores. I tend to
> agree. Either by God or through evolution, pick your origin, humans were
> put at the top of the food chain.

humans aren't at the top of the food chain. Cougars are. They regularly hunt humans.

> There are some amino acids and some
> forms of vitamin B which are not available outside of meat.

you're gonna have to cite your sources on that one. Because there are entire cultures that have adopted the ethical idea that vegitarianism is the better way to live ... and by your reasoning, they should have died out.

> Someone who
> fails to eat meat, because they can't stand the thought of those poor
> little animals dying has been too far removed from the food chain.

There's a better way to get a vegitarian's goat: plants feel pain too. How would you like it if someone ate your entire torso?

Lena

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> In article >, ~patches~
> > wrote:
>
>> I'd say 99% of our dinner meals are served with salad and always a
>> couple of vegetable offerings. If I know specifically that someone is
>> vegan or vegetarian, I will offer more choices. It's important to me
>> that people feel comfortable in our home and I would be greatly
>> insulted if anyone ever left my table hungry. To me, the meal is
>> secondary to maintaining good family and friend relationships. The meal
>> just helps to reinforce those relationships Doing something a little
>> extra for people goes a long way. Make sense?

> It does, and I do the same. However, unless the vegetarian is the only
> guest, I won't make the whole meal around their food issues.

y'all assume that we've got sidedishes -- in my house that's a rarity. if you tell me you're vegan, i change the menu. Not that i'd _mind_ changing the menu, but it's gonna happen. Ain't no way my beef stew is gonna feed ya.

lena

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lena B. Katz wrote:

>>In article >, ~patches~
> wrote:
>>

>>>I'd say 99% of our dinner meals are served with salad and always a
>>>couple of vegetable offerings. If I know specifically that someone is
>>>vegan or vegetarian, I will offer more choices. It's important to me
>>>that people feel comfortable in our home and I would be greatly
>>>insulted if anyone ever left my table hungry. To me, the meal is
>>>secondary to maintaining good family and friend relationships. The meal
>>>just helps to reinforce those relationships Doing something a little
>>>extra for people goes a long way. Make sense?

>>It does, and I do the same. However, unless the vegetarian is the only
>>guest, I won't make the whole meal around their food issues.

> y'all assume that we've got sidedishes -- in my house that's a rarity. if you tell me you're vegan, i change the menu. Not that i'd _mind_ changing the menu, but it's gonna happen. Ain't no way my beef stew is gonna feed ya.
>
> lena

I'm not assuming anything just telling the way I do it, period. I know
others don't do it the same way. Not my problem. Even with stew I
serve salad. In fact on any given day we eat at least one and most days
two vegetable salads. I also have a crisper chuck full of veggies and
fruit baskets so whipping something together would not be a problem for
me. Those who don't eat as many veggies as we do might have a problem,
but then I'm not assuming that either.

BTW, your word wrap is off.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Victor Sack wrote:
> ~patches~ > wrote:
>

>>Any good recipes?

> Here is a very good recipe from Café de Fédérations in Lyons Patricial
> Wells published in her _Bistro Cooking_. I posted it some six years
> ago.
>
> Victor

Are you out of your mind? You cannot encourage the slaughter of
little Bunnies. For all you know, someone will soon be eating
Langoehrchen or Weisspfoetchen. Next, you will give out recipes for
cooking Bambi. Or how to kill Die Biene Maya, to get at her honey.
For shame!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lena B. Katz wrote:

>>In article >, (Glitter
>>Ninja) wrote:

>>>People have free will, you know. If someone doesn't want to eat rabbits
>>>or cows or frogs for whatever reason, they shouldn't have to put up with
>>>your intolerance and insults about it.

>>And Patches shouldn't have had to endure the comments that if she was a
>>"nice," "decent" person she wouldn't eat the rabbit. It cuts both ways.

> It's funny. I think I can see most "meativores" saying the same thing if they caught someone eating a dog or cat (I know someone who has eaten dog in Korea). Rabbits can be pets too.

Let's see, if you had a dog constantly getting into your garbage would
you stand by and do nothing? While I wouldn't eat it, I would do
something about it and I wouldn't be judgemental if someone else wanted
to eat it. In some cultures they do just it isn't acceptable here for
reasons I don't really care about. This rabbit is *interfering* with my
food supply! You can bet your bottom dollar I *am* going to do
something about it. Rabbit is good eating so if I decide to make rabbit
stew out of the little bugger oh well. My choice not yours or anyone elses.

>>As for condescension, tell that to the veggies who
>>inform all and sundry of the evils of what they are eating and the PETA
>>types who claim that Jesus was a vegetarian. In The Man Who Ate
>>Everything, vegetarians were described as failed omnivores. I tend to
>>agree. Either by God or through evolution, pick your origin, humans were
>>put at the top of the food chain.

> humans aren't at the top of the food chain. Cougars are. They regularly hunt humans.
>

>>There are some amino acids and some
>>forms of vitamin B which are not available outside of meat.

> you're gonna have to cite your sources on that one. Because there are entire cultures that have adopted the ethical idea that vegitarianism is the better way to live ... and by your reasoning, they should have died out.
>

>>Someone who
>>fails to eat meat, because they can't stand the thought of those poor
>>little animals dying has been too far removed from the food chain.

> There's a better way to get a vegitarian's goat: plants feel pain too. How would you like it if someone ate your entire torso?

Yes apparently carrots and other root veggies let out some type of
scream when they know they are going to be pulled. Goodness knows what
tomatoes do. We best just stick to bugs. I hear tell maggots stir
fried are quite good not that I have any experience with this
> Lena

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lena B. Katz" > wrote in message
7.28.1...

> I think I can see most "meativores" saying the same thing if they caught
> someone eating a dog or cat (I know someone who has eaten dog in Korea).

"Most". I think not. If new rules in our parks are any indication, more and
more people are realizing that dogs have no place in a polite society. They
train their humans to do things which, in any other context, would be
considered crimes. They were put here as a food source, and as handy targets
in shooting competitions.

> Rabbits can be pets too.

Do you really get much activity out of rabbits? I've never seen pet rabbits
do much other than sit there and twitch their noses for hours on end.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006, ~patches~ wrote:

> Lena B. Katz wrote:
>
>>> In article >,
>>> (Glitter

>>> And Patches shouldn't have had to endure the comments that if she was a
>>> "nice," "decent" person she wouldn't eat the rabbit. It cuts both ways.

>> It's funny. I think I can see most "meativores" saying the same thing if
>> they caught someone eating a dog or cat (I know someone who has eaten dog
>> in Korea). Rabbits can be pets too.
>>

> Let's see, if you had a dog constantly getting into your garbage would you
> stand by and do nothing? While I wouldn't eat it, I would do something about
> it and I wouldn't be judgemental if someone else wanted to eat it. In some
> cultures they do just it isn't acceptable here for reasons I don't really
> care about. This rabbit is *interfering* with my food supply! You can bet
> your bottom dollar I *am* going to do something about it. Rabbit is good
> eating so if I decide to make rabbit stew out of the little bugger oh well.
> My choice not yours or anyone elses.

"Interfering with your food supply" is now your criterion? Judging by
that, it's okay to eat newborns of the human variety (which my ethics
class assures me do not fit the psychological definition of what a human
is). If that's your position, that's fine. But stand by it, and see
where it leads...

*now I'm curious* is human good eating? (can someone find a good
anthropological study of headhunters or something...?)

>>> Someone who
>>> fails to eat meat, because they can't stand the thought of those poor
>>> little animals dying has been too far removed from the food chain.

>> There's a better way to get a vegitarian's goat: plants feel pain too.
>> How would you like it if someone ate your entire torso?
>>

> Yes apparently carrots and other root veggies let out some type of scream
> when they know they are going to be pulled. Goodness knows what tomatoes do.
> We best just stick to bugs. I hear tell maggots stir fried are quite good
> not that I have any experience with this

Not kosher. Try several varieties of locust!

Lena
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:

> "Gregory Morrow"
> <gregorymorrowEMERGENCYCANCELLATIONARCHIMEDES@eart hlink.net> hitched up
> their panties and posted
> nk.net:
>

>>OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>>

>>>There are a number of ways to prepare bunny.
>>>My personal favorite is southern fried...

>>Poor widdle wabbit...how can you not look into those big sweet eyes
>>and not feel sorry...??? :-(
>>

> My thoughts exactly. 'Specially since they live in the Hostas in the front
> of the house.
>
> Michael

Because those cute little eyes do a shit load of damage much like the
cute little eyes of bambi. Heck this thing has ate enough of my early
crop and herbs I won't have to season it or even serve it with veggies.
Somehow at the moment the idea of watching it spin on the spit would
give me great pleasure! Oh and if you are getting into eyes, I've
always loved the eyes of cows. They are beautiful yet I still eat beef.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lena B Katz wrote:

>>> It's funny. I think I can see most "meativores" saying the same
>>> thing if they caught someone eating a dog or cat (I know someone who
>>> has eaten dog in Korea). Rabbits can be pets too.
>>>

>> Let's see, if you had a dog constantly getting into your garbage would
>> you stand by and do nothing? While I wouldn't eat it, I would do
>> something about it and I wouldn't be judgemental if someone else
>> wanted to eat it. In some cultures they do just it isn't acceptable
>> here for reasons I don't really care about. This rabbit is
>> *interfering* with my food supply! You can bet your bottom dollar I
>> *am* going to do something about it. Rabbit is good eating so if I
>> decide to make rabbit stew out of the little bugger oh well. My choice
>> not yours or anyone elses.

> "Interfering with your food supply" is now your criterion? Judging by
> that, it's okay to eat newborns of the human variety (which my ethics
> class assures me do not fit the psychological definition of what a human
> is). If that's your position, that's fine. But stand by it, and see
> where it leads...

Good then your pyschology classes as well as ethics should have taught
you about slippery slope arguments which is of course what you just
presented. You have taken biomedical ethics, haven't you? I have so
your argument doesn't wash with me.

> *now I'm curious* is human good eating? (can someone find a good
> anthropological study of headhunters or something...?)

I think you would have to ask that Jeffery guy, Daumer (sp). I have
know experience eating human but I have licked on a cut to get it to
stop bleeding

>>> There's a better way to get a vegitarian's goat: plants feel pain
>>> too. How would you like it if someone ate your entire torso?
>>>

>> Yes apparently carrots and other root veggies let out some type of
>> scream when they know they are going to be pulled. Goodness knows
>> what tomatoes do. We best just stick to bugs. I hear tell maggots
>> stir fried are quite good not that I have any experience with this

> Not kosher. Try several varieties of locust!

Kosher is a matter of religion not taste and certainly not a matter of
ethics but personal choice. I doubt I would find locust here so I best
find something I can eat. Oh, I know, how about rock soup?

> Lena

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote in message
> ~patches~ > hitched up their panties and
> posted :
>>
>> Let's see, if you had a dog constantly getting into your garbage would
>> you stand by and do nothing?

> No, I'd slam the dog's owner. It's the dog's owner that is at fault. I
> detest people that blame housepets for what they do. They are animals for
> Gawd's sake.
>
> Michael

Sorry to burst your bubble, Michael, but the dog trains the human. The human
is conditioned to adjust to the needs of the dog, many of which involve
miserable routines like going outdoors when it's 3 degrees and snowing 8
inches a minute. Take the dog away and the problem is over. It's the dog's
fault.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 17 Mar 2006 03:20:28p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Michael
"Dog3" Lonergan?

> ~patches~ > hitched up their panties and
> posted :
>

>> Kosher is a matter of religion not taste and certainly not a matter of
>> ethics but personal choice. I doubt I would find locust here so I
>> best find something I can eat. Oh, I know, how about rock soup?

> Kosher is a religious preference. I'm a Gentile and love the taste. Rock
> soup? Whatever...
>
> Michael

Rock soup must be hell on your teeth!

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Kanter wrote:

> Sorry to burst your bubble, Michael, but the dog trains the human. The human
> is conditioned to adjust to the needs of the dog, many of which involve
> miserable routines like going outdoors when it's 3 degrees and snowing 8
> inches a minute. Take the dog away and the problem is over. It's the dog's
> fault.

True enough. The only dogs that fail at obedience school are those whose owners
didn't catch on to the idea that it is about teaching people how to train the
dog. I have been taking riding lessons for the last 3 years, equestrian
jumping, something I started 20 years past the age where most riders stop. They
don't teach you a lot about how to stay on. It's mostly about what to do that
will make a horse do what you want. It's all in their repertoire, but you have
to learn how to tell them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Margaret Suran > wrote:

> Victor Sack wrote:
> >
> > Here is a very good recipe from Café de Fédérations in Lyons Patricial
> > Wells published in her _Bistro Cooking_. I posted it some six years
> > ago.
> >

> Are you out of your mind? You cannot encourage the slaughter of
> little Bunnies. For all you know, someone will soon be eating
> Langoehrchen or Weisspfoetchen.

All that Playboy stuff in the trollop family newsgroup...

> Next, you will give out recipes for
> cooking Bambi.

Coming right up.

> Or how to kill Die Biene Maya, to get at her honey.
> For shame!

Die Biene Maja has always been completely useless and certainly never
even thought of producing honey.

Here is a nice recipe for tenderloin of Bambi. It is from the Time-Life
Foods of the World, _Recipes: The Cooking of Germany_.

Bubba

Pikante Rehfiletschnitten
Venison Tenderloin in Spiced Brandy Sauce

To serve 4

1/2 cup dry red wine
1/2 cup water
1 medium-sized onion, peeled and cut into 1/8-inch slices
2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots, or substitute 2 tablespoons
finely chopped scallions
A 2-inch piece of cinnamon stick
1 small bay leaf
1 whole clove
3 parsley sprigs
1/8 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper
2 pounds venison tenderloin, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
3 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup chicken stock
2 tablespoons brandy

In a small mixing bowl, combine the red wine, water, sliced onion,
shallots, cinnamon, bay leaf, clove, parsley, thyme, salt and a few
grindings of pepper. Arrange the venison slices in one layer in a
shallow baking dish and pour the marinade over them, turning the steaks
to moisten them thoroughly. Marinate at room temperature for at least 2
hours, turning the steaks once or twice.
Preheat the oven to 300°. Remove the steaks from the marinade and
pat them thoroughly dry. Set the marinade aside. In a heavy 10- to
12-inch skillet, melt the butter over moderate heat. When the foam
subsides, add the venison steaks and brown them for 2 or 3 minutes on
each side, regulating the heat so they color quickly and evenly and
without burning. Transfer the steaks to a shallow baking casserole or
baking dish just large enough to hold them comfortably in one layer, and
set them aside.
Strain the marinade through a fine sieve set over a bowl, pressing
down hard on the vegetables with the back of a spoon before discarding
them. Add the flour to the fat remaining in the skillet, and cook over
moderate heat, stirring constantly, until the flour browns lightly.
Gradually pour in the strained marinade, chicken stock and brandy.
Stirring constantly with a whisk, bring it to a boil, continuing to stir
until the sauce is smooth and slightly thickened. Taste for seasoning.
Pour the sauce over the venison steaks and bake in the middle of the
oven for 10 minutes, basting them occasionally with pan juices. Serve
at once, directly from the casserole, or on a large heated platter.
NOTE: In Germany the venison is browned in butter as described above.
Because butter alone burns easily, you may prefer to use 2 tablespoons
of butter combined with 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil. (Or just use
clarified butter. -VS)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Kanter wrote:

>> Rabbits can be pets too.

> Do you really get much activity out of rabbits? I've never seen pet rabbits
> do much other than sit there and twitch their noses for hours on end.

actually, yeah!
My aunt had a rabbit and a friend of mine has a couple. They're very playful,
they're goofy, they're affectionate. They're not necessarily bright but
they're fun and they learn things and they love to make up games.

My friend's rabbits will toss plastice bottle caps at me until they get my
attention then I must bounce them on the linoleum for them to chase and
retrieve. Goofy fun, i'm tellin ya!

Wouldn't trade in my dogs for rabbits, but I seriously considered getting one.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ranee Mueller wrote:

> He said he didn't cater to them, not that he didn't make vegetables.
> There is a difference. If someone who is vegetarian is coming to a
> dinner party, he would still make his main dish, whether it was meat or
> not, and make the other side dishes, and the vegetarian would have to
> navigate. We do this in our women's group and at church where there is
> a woman who was raised with weird meat phobias as a Seventh Day
> Adventist, and still eats only very limited meat products. Nobody
> brings all meat, but we don't keep meat dishes out because she is there.
>
> If someone has a religious reason, or if they have health reasons, I
> will accomodate. If someone dislikes something, I won't center the meal
> on it, but I won't go far out of my way to avoid it, unless he is the
> only person eating with me. Since the vast majority of vegetarians who
> aren't doing so out of religious obligation change their minds
> eventually, it is simply a food preference. If I have vegetable sides
> (which I always do) and a salad, rice/pasta/bread, then they are free to
> eat those. Unless, of course, it is a meal solely for that person. If
> they are lucky, they will show up on a Wednesday or Friday and we'll be
> eating meatless anyway. I won't cook vegan. There are some dishes that
> just happen to be vegan, like salad, but I won't make a vegan meal.
>
> Regards,
> Ranee
>
> Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.
>
> "She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." Prov 31:13
>
> http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
> http://talesfromthekitchen.blogspot.com/

Interesting, I am the exact opposite. If anyone is coming to dinner,
especially the first time I always find out if they have likes or dislikes, if
they are vegetarian, if they have dietary or religious needs. I always cater
to my guests.

I had a dinner part in september where I made rack of lamb, the boyfriend of
one of my guests doesn;t eat red meat so I made mahi-mahi for him. I had no
problem at all and in fact it made me more comfortable knowing that each of my
guests was eating what they liked and what they were happy with.

I'm definitely not saying your way or my way is right or wrong or whatever,
just interesting the different perspectives people have on serving guest.

oh, and I totally will cook vegan for my guests, i love love love the
challenge of it.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Interesting, I am the exact opposite. If anyone is coming to dinner,
> especially the first time I always find out if they have likes or
> dislikes, if
> they are vegetarian, if they have dietary or religious needs. I always
> cater
> to my guests.
>
> I had a dinner part in september where I made rack of lamb, the boyfriend
> of
> one of my guests doesn;t eat red meat so I made mahi-mahi for him. I had
> no
> problem at all and in fact it made me more comfortable knowing that each
> of my
> guests was eating what they liked and what they were happy with.
>
> I'm definitely not saying your way or my way is right or wrong or
> whatever,
> just interesting the different perspectives people have on serving guest.
>
> oh, and I totally will cook vegan for my guests, i love love love the
> challenge of it.
>
> --
> .:Heather:.

Here's how I do it at home -- this is not a typical day, but it is not
un-typical.
As we were cooking corned beef today, I knew that I was not interested, but
would eat a piece. I was not looking forward to it, but as the day wore on,
I realized that it would be late being ready. I used the opportunity when I
realized it would be late and DH started snacking to suggest that we have a
light late lunch. I told him what I would be making and he was not
enthused.

I made Dahi Bura from "The cooking of Calcutta" and served it with Jasmine
Rice. Wednesday I bought some nice looking Long Beans and had a recipe in
my file from about 1990 that I had not used. It called for all spices I
had on hand (6) and a 1/4 tsp chick-pea flour with a cup of yogurt to
thicken near the end. The yogurt was whole fat and the smallish curds were
delicious. DH prefers meat and will eat it endlessly, but likes most
everything.

With that lunch, we also had some new butter we'd never bought before. It is
Teksut Butter (made in Instanbul) and tasted almost like brie. I thought it
might be old/molded, but DH said it was not, just rich as all get-out.
(Has anyone eaten this butter?) We spread it on an Artisan whole-grain bread
with strong-ish tea at the end of the meal.

So today was sort of a compromise day for both of us and we both enjoyed it.
Usually 3 meals are not the norm, only two with a snack, but the Dahi Bura
was not a full meal, but quite filling and satisfying.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:

> ~patches~ > hitched up their panties and
> posted :
>

>>Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
>>

>>>"Gregory Morrow"
>>><gregorymorrowEMERGENCYCANCELLATIONARCHIMEDES@e arthlink.net> hitched
>>>up their panties and posted
hlink.net:

>>>My thoughts exactly. 'Specially since they live in the Hostas in the
>>>front of the house.
>>>
>>>Michael
>>>

>>Because those cute little eyes do a shit load of damage much like the
>>cute little eyes of bambi. Heck this thing has ate enough of my early
>>crop and herbs I won't have to season it or even serve it with
>>veggies.
>> Somehow at the moment the idea of watching it spin on the spit would
>>give me great pleasure! Oh and if you are getting into eyes, I've
>>always loved the eyes of cows. They are beautiful yet I still eat
>>beef.
>>

> You are evil and mean.

I'd say I'm being pragmatic.

> Michael

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Fri 17 Mar 2006 03:20:28p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Michael
> "Dog3" Lonergan?
>

>>~patches~ > hitched up their panties and
>>posted :
>>

>>>Kosher is a matter of religion not taste and certainly not a matter of
>>>ethics but personal choice. I doubt I would find locust here so I
>>>best find something I can eat. Oh, I know, how about rock soup?

>>Kosher is a religious preference. I'm a Gentile and love the taste. Rock
>>soup? Whatever...
>>
>>Michael
>>

> Rock soup must be hell on your teeth!

If you're hungry enough it will fit the bill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Bubbo wrote:

> Interesting, I am the exact opposite. If anyone is coming to dinner,
> especially the first time I always find out if they have likes or dislikes, if
> they are vegetarian, if they have dietary or religious needs. I always cater
> to my guests.

That's called being a gracious host and Emily Post would agree with
you...
-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

~patches~ wrote:

> Let's see, if you had a dog constantly getting into your garbage would
> you stand by and do nothing? While I wouldn't eat it, I would do
> something about it and I wouldn't be judgemental if someone else wanted
> to eat it. In some cultures they do just it isn't acceptable here for
> reasons I don't really care about. This rabbit is *interfering* with my
> food supply! You can bet your bottom dollar I *am* going to do
> something about it. Rabbit is good eating so if I decide to make rabbit
> stew out of the little bugger oh well. My choice not yours or anyone elses.

The humane thing to do is to live trap or catch the rabbit and turn it
into the humane society as you would a rogue dog or cat.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"-L." wrote:

> > Interesting, I am the exact opposite. If anyone is coming to dinner,
> > especially the first time I always find out if they have likes or dislikes, if
> > they are vegetarian, if they have dietary or religious needs. I always cater
> > to my guests.

> That's called being a gracious host and Emily Post would agree with
> you...

I was raised to be a good guest and to eat what is offered.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

-L. wrote:

> ~patches~ wrote:
>
>>Let's see, if you had a dog constantly getting into your garbage would
>>you stand by and do nothing? While I wouldn't eat it, I would do
>>something about it and I wouldn't be judgemental if someone else wanted
>>to eat it. In some cultures they do just it isn't acceptable here for
>>reasons I don't really care about. This rabbit is *interfering* with my
>>food supply! You can bet your bottom dollar I *am* going to do
>>something about it. Rabbit is good eating so if I decide to make rabbit
>>stew out of the little bugger oh well. My choice not yours or anyone elses.

> The humane thing to do is to live trap or catch the rabbit and turn it
> into the humane society as you would a rogue dog or cat.
>
> -L.

By your standards, not mine. I have found that city folk with less
exposure to wild life and growing their own food often differ in opinion
from those who do grow their own food. Those opinions differ further
when you consider some us hunt and fish for food while those that don't
eat meat tend to judge us. Not my problem but this is one bunny that
isn't going to hopping down the bunny trail if it keeps hanging around
my garden. With luck the heavy use of cayenne and powdered pepper will
encourage it to move on but I doubt it because there is a food supply.
Just so you don't think this is my attitude, my neighbours are exactly
the same and at least one will shoot it with a pellet gun if he catches
it in his garden. Oh and the human society charges you to drop off any
animal there not to mention it is a good half hour away. The rabbit
would be worth more to me in the stew pot
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> "-L." wrote:
>

>>>Interesting, I am the exact opposite. If anyone is coming to dinner,
>>>especially the first time I always find out if they have likes or dislikes, if
>>>they are vegetarian, if they have dietary or religious needs. I always cater
>>>to my guests.

>>That's called being a gracious host and Emily Post would agree with
>>you...

> I was raised to be a good guest and to eat what is offered.

Yes but sometimes things like food allergies or dietary restrictions
have to be considered. How would you handle that? I have food
allergies, am lactose intolerant, and at the moment am on a low copper
diet. I also don't eat refined sugar so that means I can't eat certain
things.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

~patches~ wrote:

> >>That's called being a gracious host and Emily Post would agree with
> >>you...

> > I was raised to be a good guest and to eat what is offered.
> >

> Yes but sometimes things like food allergies or dietary restrictions
> have to be considered. How would you handle that? I have food
> allergies, am lactose intolerant, and at the moment am on a low copper
> diet. I also don't eat refined sugar so that means I can't eat certain
> things.

I have some allergies and lactose intolerance to deal with too. I try to remember to
take some Lactaid with me when I go out. That helps. If I forget, then I try to limit
the intake of dairy. I can't eat nuts or citrus. It doesn't take much of that to
cause problems. I have some other food allergies but I can tolerate small amounts, or
tolerate the effects of it. My wife as a different st of allergies from mine. We are
not going to accept a dinner invitation and then give the host a list of foods they
cannot prepare for us.

I prefer to entertain those who are as willing to try things as I am. I like guests
who enjoy their food and are open to new experiences. I really prefer not to have to
bother with those who have have self imposed restrictions, and in my books, that
includes those who choose to belong to religions with dietary restrictions.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

>>>I was raised to be a good guest and to eat what is offered.
>>>

>>Yes but sometimes things like food allergies or dietary restrictions
>>have to be considered. How would you handle that? I have food
>>allergies, am lactose intolerant, and at the moment am on a low copper
>>diet. I also don't eat refined sugar so that means I can't eat certain
>>things.

> I have some allergies and lactose intolerance to deal with too. I try to remember to
> take some Lactaid with me when I go out. That helps. If I forget, then I try to limit
> the intake of dairy. I can't eat nuts or citrus. It doesn't take much of that to
> cause problems. I have some other food allergies but I can tolerate small amounts, or
> tolerate the effects of it. My wife as a different st of allergies from mine. We are
> not going to accept a dinner invitation and then give the host a list of foods they
> cannot prepare for us.
>
> I prefer to entertain those who are as willing to try things as I am. I like guests
> who enjoy their food and are open to new experiences. I really prefer not to have to
> bother with those who have have self imposed restrictions, and in my books, that
> includes those who choose to belong to religions with dietary restrictions.

I like to entertain period Food just happens to be part of that
entertaining so I don't mind if I have to make certain food allowances.
It's not really a big deal to me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Victor Sack wrote:
> Margaret Suran > wrote:
>

>>Victor Sack wrote:
>>
>>>Here is a very good recipe from Café de Fédérations in Lyons Patricial
>>>Wells published in her _Bistro Cooking_. I posted it some six years
>>>ago.

*recipe snipped*

>>Are you out of your mind? You cannot encourage the slaughter of
>>little Bunnies. For all you know, someone will soon be eating
>>Langoehrchen or Weisspfoetchen.

> All that Playboy stuff in the trollop family newsgroup...

You should talk, after wanting to kill those Bunnies!

>> Next, you will give out recipes for
>>cooking Bambi.

> Coming right up.
>

>> Or how to kill Die Biene Maya, to get at her honey.
>>For shame!

> Die Biene Maja has always been completely useless and certainly never
> even thought of producing honey.
>
> Here is a nice recipe for tenderloin of Bambi. It is from the Time-Life
> Foods of the World, _Recipes: The Cooking of Germany_.
>
> Bubba
>
> Pikante Rehfiletschnitten
> Venison Tenderloin in Spiced Brandy Sauce

*Recipe snipped, of course*

Bubba Vic, Oh, I misspelled her name! It was one of my favorite
books. With your evil ways, I will not be surprised if you will post
a recipe for deep fried honey bees. (

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote in message
> "Doug Kanter" > hitched up their panties and
> posted :
>
>> "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote in message
>>> ~patches~ > hitched up their panties and
>>> posted :

>>> No, I'd slam the dog's owner. It's the dog's owner that is at fault.
>>> I detest people that blame housepets for what they do. They are
>>> animals for Gawd's sake.
>>>
>>> Michael

>> Sorry to burst your bubble, Michael, but the dog trains the human. The
>> human is conditioned to adjust to the needs of the dog, many of which
>> involve miserable routines like going outdoors when it's 3 degrees and
>> snowing 8 inches a minute. Take the dog away and the problem is over.
>> It's the dog's fault.

> Sorry to burst your bubble, but it's never the dog's fault. The human
> takes the dog in. The dog is a dog.
>
> Michael

No. Like most people, you simply can't get your head around the word
"training", as applied to humans. Among other things, this comes from our
silly belief that we're somehow superior to other animals, so how could they
possibly apply conditioning to us. But, it happens. Most humans would never
dream of altering another person's property with garbage, or entering
someone else's property when they'd been asked not to. But, give someone a
dog and suddenly, they come up with all sorts of bizarre rationalizations
for doing both of those things, even to the point of dreaming that laws
against littering and civil trespass don't really mean what they say.

Humans do this because they HAVE to. If they don't get their dogs outdoors,
the dogs will crap & pee all over the house. If they keep the dog in the
yard, the result is usually a damaged lawn. So, because of the needs of the
animal, the humans are trained to transfer the obscenities to the property
of others.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Bubbo" > wrote in message
> Doug Kanter wrote:
>

>>> Rabbits can be pets too.

>> Do you really get much activity out of rabbits? I've never seen pet
>> rabbits
>> do much other than sit there and twitch their noses for hours on end.
>>

> actually, yeah!
> My aunt had a rabbit and a friend of mine has a couple. They're very
> playful,
> they're goofy, they're affectionate. They're not necessarily bright but
> they're fun and they learn things and they love to make up games.
>
> My friend's rabbits will toss plastice bottle caps at me until they get my
> attention then I must bounce them on the linoleum for them to chase and
> retrieve. Goofy fun, i'm tellin ya!
>
> Wouldn't trade in my dogs for rabbits, but I seriously considered getting
> one.

Hmmm....they certainly are fast when you're chasing them out of the garden.
Must be interesting indoors.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

~patches~ wrote:

> By your standards, not mine.

I can guaratee every Humane Society and animal shelter in the country
would agree with me.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> "-L." wrote:
>
>> > Interesting, I am the exact opposite. If anyone is coming to dinner,
>> > especially the first time I always find out if they have likes or

dislikes, if
>> > they are vegetarian, if they have dietary or religious needs. I always

cater
>> > to my guests.

>> That's called being a gracious host and Emily Post would agree with
>> you...

> I was raised to be a good guest and to eat what is offered.

but if my guests are uncomfortable then how can I be comfortable?
I mean it's not like I have guests that refuse to eat anything but boxed mac
and cheese, they are just as adventurous as i am with food, they just have
restrictions.

Generally speaking, it's not like I have the menu set before I invite people
over. None of us are kids being invited over to our friend's house for dinner
and graciously having to eat what their mom serves.

Why must we be so strict on the menu? Why no compromise? It's a menu, not a
matter of life and death, not a right or wrong. The way I look at it, the only
point you could possibly make to your guests by not being sensitive to their
preferences is that you don't necessarily want them to come over for dinner,
you just want to be the boss of them.

Of course I say that rather tongue in cheek, but personally, I would never
deign to boss my guests around and tell them "eat it or hit the road you
ungrateful coelacanths!!!"

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"-L." > wrote in message
oups.com...

> ~patches~ wrote:
>>
>> By your standards, not mine.

> I can guaratee every Humane Society and animal shelter in the country
> would agree with me.
>
> -L.

Do you know how beef cattle are terminated?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

-L. wrote:

> ~patches~ wrote:
>
>>By your standards, not mine.

> I can guaratee every Humane Society and animal shelter in the country
> would agree with me.
>
> -L.

In your country, not mine Our animal shelters are over run and under
funded. It seems like the funding is going to more important things
like humans. Go figure. Damn gov't can't get anything right!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Bubbo wrote:

> Dave Smith wrote:

> dislikes, if

> cater

>>>That's called being a gracious host and Emily Post would agree with
>>>you...

>>I was raised to be a good guest and to eat what is offered.
>>

> but if my guests are uncomfortable then how can I be comfortable?
> I mean it's not like I have guests that refuse to eat anything but boxed mac
> and cheese, they are just as adventurous as i am with food, they just have
> restrictions.
>
> Generally speaking, it's not like I have the menu set before I invite people
> over. None of us are kids being invited over to our friend's house for dinner
> and graciously having to eat what their mom serves.
>
> Why must we be so strict on the menu? Why no compromise? It's a menu, not a
> matter of life and death, not a right or wrong. The way I look at it, the only
> point you could possibly make to your guests by not being sensitive to their
> preferences is that you don't necessarily want them to come over for dinner,
> you just want to be the boss of them.
>
> Of course I say that rather tongue in cheek, but personally, I would never
> deign to boss my guests around and tell them "eat it or hit the road you
> ungrateful coelacanths!!!"

Agreed! If you want to boss your guests around and dictate what they
eat, why bother having them as guests? I want people to be comfortable
in my home and never leave my table hungry. For that reason, I will
take into consideration special dietary needs irregardless of the nature.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Bubbo wrote:

> but if my guests are uncomfortable then how can I be comfortable?
> I mean it's not like I have guests that refuse to eat anything but boxed mac
> and cheese, they are just as adventurous as i am with food, they just have
> restrictions.

IIRC you had mentioned a person who does not eat red meat so you cooked something
else for him. I have to wonder why he doesn't eat red meat. Some people
generally avoid is because they believe it to be less healthy than other foods.
If that is his situation, the occasional serving is not going to hurt him. If is
is a matter of being squeamish I imagine that he has qualms about other foods
too. I don't want to have to deal with stuff like that, so I avoid having
squeamish people for meals. I invite them for other gatherings.

> Generally speaking, it's not like I have the menu set before I invite people
> over. None of us are kids being invited over to our friend's house for dinner
> and graciously having to eat what their mom serves.

That's true. When I have Jewish friends over I don't serve pork or shellfish. I
realize that if they were strict and kept kosher they wouldn't be coming to dine
with us anyway, but I accept that there are some things they avoid. But when I
have my family over and it's peach season, we're having peach pie. The nephew who
is adamant about his dislike of peaches, and anything red, he is S O L. He can
bring his own dessert.

> Why must we be so strict on the menu? Why no compromise? It's a menu, not a
> matter of life and death, not a right or wrong.

Who is being strict about the menu? Someone is invited for a meal. When you accept
an invitation to dinner you should make the effort to be a gracious guest and
pretend that you like it or make up an excuse. IMO opinion the one who is strict
about the menu is the one who won't eat things.

My mother, two of my brothers and on of their wives love lamb. If the SiL who
doesn't like lamb is working shifts, I have my brother over for a lamb dinner. If
she is coming for dinner we have beef. I am versatile enough to accommodate her,
but I don't invite here when we are having something she doesn't like and cook
something different for her.

> The way I look at it, the only
> point you could possibly make to your guests by not being sensitive to their
> preferences is that you don't necessarily want them to come over for dinner,
> you just want to be the boss of them.

Not at all. I cook dinners that I like and share them with my friends and
relatives. If I am having something they don't like I don't invite them for that
meal. Those that don't like anything I prefer not to entertain at all.

> Of course I say that rather tongue in cheek, but personally, I would never
> deign to boss my guests around and tell them "eat it or hit the road you
> ungrateful coelacanths!!!"

:-) What can I say? I am willing to try just about anything. I accept that when
I am a guest I should be grateful for the meal and eat what is offered. I realize
that some people are not as adventurous. I prefer to not have to deal with their
squeamishness.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

~patches~ wrote:

> In your country, not mine Our animal shelters are over run and under
> funded. It seems like the funding is going to more important things
> like humans. Go figure. Damn gov't can't get anything right!

Of course they are under -funded. They insist on keeping animals around
until they are adopted instead of putting them down sooner.

At one place where I worked we had a big vicious dog hanging around for more
than a week. The local Humane Society came several times to try to coax him
into a cage. They ended up spending two full days. When they finally got
the miserable mutt the girl came in to announce it and say how glad she was
that they finally caught him. I asked why they didn't just shoot him. She
was shocked and said they wanted to find a home for him. This was a big
(120 lb. +) make dog who was vicious. No one was going to adopt him. Two
and a half days of labour for two people plus the cost of feeding that cur
until they finally accept that no one wants a dog like that.... no wonder
they don't have money.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

~patches~ wrote:

> > Of course I say that rather tongue in cheek, but personally, I would never
> > deign to boss my guests around and tell them "eat it or hit the road you
> > ungrateful coelacanths!!!"
> >

> Agreed! If you want to boss your guests around and dictate what they
> eat, why bother having them as guests? I want people to be comfortable
> in my home and never leave my table hungry. For that reason, I will
> take into consideration special dietary needs irregardless of the nature.

Pshaw. Maybe the power trip is the other way around, with squeamish eaters forcing
people to cater to them. That means it is they who are trying to be their host's
boss.

People like that may have their virtues and likely enjoy doing other things. Go out
for drinks or dinner with them, go to a hockey game or something. Jut don't have
them over for a meal if you know they are going to be hard to please.

rabbits, partly ot Stormmee Barbecue 75 19-07-2010 10:22 AM
Oh, No !!! Now I've Got Trouble With Rabbits !!! Mark Thorson General Cooking 50 24-09-2008 07:17 PM
Rabbits Dee Randall General Cooking 28 16-04-2006 11:01 PM
USDA calls Rabbits, chickens Beach Runner Vegan 3 08-08-2005 02:28 PM
What is so wrong with keeping rabbits in hutches? Ramset Recipes 3 07-04-2005 11:10 PM