Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default New Pots & Pans

My favorite 3.5 qt saucepan became increasingly wobbly on my smooth
top range. Why, I do not know, as all the obvious reasons/causes
couldn't have occurred, nevertheless, the pot was 13 years old and
used a lot and had to be replaced.

I decided I wanted an All Clad pot, as I really did not want to play
around with a crappy pot (I have spent so little on pots and pans in
my life that I really "deserved" this treat.) and so I priced it all
over, including on eBay and was impressed with its cost. By the time
it was shipped or had tax locally, it was going to set me back *well*
over $100, more likely closer to $125 with serious shopping, and I
balked.

So I went to Costco and saw their made in Italy, 5 ply stainless set
for $199. Did I need new pots and pans? No, but the kids are within a
year or three of (God willing, please...) their own apartments and my
older stuff will find a new home or two then. I bought the set with
part of my nifty Costco/AmEx rebate check.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...&browse= &s=1

Ok...so I have this beautiful set now and no where does it say
"dishwasher safe." It does casually mention hand washing before use
and talks about being careful to add salt to a pot AFTER the water has
boiled so no pitting occurs. Weird, I'm thinking. I put any stainless
steel into the dishwasher and have never had a problem with anything
scratching or boiling with salt water and pitting, but I thought I'd
ask around here.

Anyone else have the set? Do you put them in the dishwasher? Do you
endanger them with every pot of pasta? Mine will go in the dishwasher
regardless, as I really believe this set will outlive me, but I am
curious to know what others think.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
snip
> Ok...so I have this beautiful set now and no where does it say
> "dishwasher safe." It does casually mention hand washing before use
> and talks about being careful to add salt to a pot AFTER the water has
> boiled so no pitting occurs. Weird, I'm thinking. I put any stainless
> steel into the dishwasher and have never had a problem with anything
> scratching or boiling with salt water and pitting, but I thought I'd
> ask around here.
>
> Anyone else have the set? Do you put them in the dishwasher? Do you
> endanger them with every pot of pasta? Mine will go in the dishwasher
> regardless, as I really believe this set will outlive me, but I am
> curious to know what others think.
>
> Boron

Congratulations!!! You did deserve a new set of pots and pans. I think
Consumer Reports just rated what you bought as an excellent value. The
admonition about pitting is nothing new, just a fact of life, so don't worry
about it. Have a lot of fun with the new stuff. (It makes you feel good to
have something new in the kitchen.)
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boron Elgar wrote:

<snip>

> Mine will go in the dishwasher
> regardless, as I really believe this set will outlive me, but I am
> curious to know what others think.

I would say "go for it". I have some SS pots and pans that the MIL gave
me that are from 19-dot, and they are still going strong - after being
much used and abused... If they are fairly good stainless steel, (and
judging by what you have said, they seem to be) there is not much that
will harm them.

Cheers
Cathy(xyz)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 08:36:06 -0700, "Janet Bostwick"
> wrote:

>"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
.. .
>snip
>> Ok...so I have this beautiful set now and no where does it say
>> "dishwasher safe." It does casually mention hand washing before use
>> and talks about being careful to add salt to a pot AFTER the water has
>> boiled so no pitting occurs. Weird, I'm thinking. I put any stainless
>> steel into the dishwasher and have never had a problem with anything
>> scratching or boiling with salt water and pitting, but I thought I'd
>> ask around here.
>>
>> Anyone else have the set? Do you put them in the dishwasher? Do you
>> endanger them with every pot of pasta? Mine will go in the dishwasher
>> regardless, as I really believe this set will outlive me, but I am
>> curious to know what others think.
>>
>> Boron

>Congratulations!!! You did deserve a new set of pots and pans. I think
>Consumer Reports just rated what you bought as an excellent value. The
>admonition about pitting is nothing new, just a fact of life, so don't worry
>about it. Have a lot of fun with the new stuff. (It makes you feel good to
>have something new in the kitchen.)
>Janet

Thanks, Janet...now, if there were only some way to get a new
*kitchen" as easily, I'd be happy.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boron Elgar wrote:

> Anyone else have the set? Do you put them in the dishwasher? Do you
> endanger them with every pot of pasta? Mine will go in the dishwasher
> regardless, as I really believe this set will outlive me, but I am
> curious to know what others think.

Stainless steel should be dishwasher safe. I have stainless steel
Lagostina pots (5) with lids. According to the specs, they are
diswasher safe but I wash them by hand. Reasons - my pots are out where
they can be seen so I want the full set there when not in use. I don't
want spotting. I also have ss fry pan with heavy copper plate bottom,
ss stock pots, and ss pressure cooker none of which go in the dishwasher.

> Boron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 15 Mar 2006 08:12:08a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Boron
Elgar?

> My favorite 3.5 qt saucepan became increasingly wobbly on my smooth
> top range. Why, I do not know, as all the obvious reasons/causes
> couldn't have occurred, nevertheless, the pot was 13 years old and
> used a lot and had to be replaced.
>
> I decided I wanted an All Clad pot, as I really did not want to play
> around with a crappy pot (I have spent so little on pots and pans in
> my life that I really "deserved" this treat.) and so I priced it all
> over, including on eBay and was impressed with its cost. By the time
> it was shipped or had tax locally, it was going to set me back *well*
> over $100, more likely closer to $125 with serious shopping, and I
> balked.
>
> So I went to Costco and saw their made in Italy, 5 ply stainless set
> for $199. Did I need new pots and pans? No, but the kids are within a
> year or three of (God willing, please...) their own apartments and my
> older stuff will find a new home or two then. I bought the set with
> part of my nifty Costco/AmEx rebate check.
>
> http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...hse=&topnav=&b
> rowse=&s=1
>
> Ok...so I have this beautiful set now and no where does it say
> "dishwasher safe." It does casually mention hand washing before use
> and talks about being careful to add salt to a pot AFTER the water has
> boiled so no pitting occurs. Weird, I'm thinking. I put any stainless
> steel into the dishwasher and have never had a problem with anything
> scratching or boiling with salt water and pitting, but I thought I'd
> ask around here.
>
> Anyone else have the set? Do you put them in the dishwasher? Do you
> endanger them with every pot of pasta? Mine will go in the dishwasher
> regardless, as I really believe this set will outlive me, but I am
> curious to know what others think.

Congratulations, Boron! I've been eyeing that set every time I go to
Costco, but I really don't need to replace any of mine yet, so I can't
justify the purchase right now.

My current set is similar in design except for the handles and I've had it
for ~15 years. I have routinely washed it in the dishwasher ever since I
bought it, and it has held up well. There is some very slight pitting in
my 6.5 qt stockpot because I tend to put salt into the water for boiling
pasta before the water is hot.

http://tinyurl.com/r6dwa

Enjoy your new cookware! You deserve it!

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 15 Mar 2006 17:12:47 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
<wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>On Wed 15 Mar 2006 08:12:08a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Boron
>Elgar?

>> Anyone else have the set? Do you put them in the dishwasher? Do you
>> endanger them with every pot of pasta? Mine will go in the dishwasher
>> regardless, as I really believe this set will outlive me, but I am
>> curious to know what others think.

>Congratulations, Boron! I've been eyeing that set every time I go to
>Costco, but I really don't need to replace any of mine yet, so I can't
>justify the purchase right now.

Thank you. IT sure does look pretty. Now I feel like I'm going to have
to cook!

>My current set is similar in design except for the handles and I've had it
>for ~15 years. I have routinely washed it in the dishwasher ever since I
>bought it, and it has held up well. There is some very slight pitting in
>my 6.5 qt stockpot because I tend to put salt into the water for boiling
>pasta before the water is hot.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/r6dwa

Those are lovely. They have curved lines like the Costco ones. I like
that.

>Enjoy your new cookware! You deserve it!

Aw, shucks. Thank you, sir.

Boron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Anyone else have the set? Do you put them in the dishwasher? Do you
> endanger them with every pot of pasta? Mine will go in the dishwasher
> regardless, as I really believe this set will outlive me, but I am
> curious to know what others think.
>
> Boron

I think that's a pretty good set. Enjoy

But while we're on the subject, I've never understood the science behind
not putting pots in the dishwasher, unless handles or other attachments are
the problem. Surly can't be the heat from the DW, as stove tops get much
hotter then that, Strong detergent? possible scratching... i donno.

Larry T.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 15 Mar 2006 09:30:11a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Boron
Elgar?

> On 15 Mar 2006 17:12:47 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Wed 15 Mar 2006 08:12:08a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Boron
>>Elgar?

>>> Anyone else have the set? Do you put them in the dishwasher? Do you
>>> endanger them with every pot of pasta? Mine will go in the dishwasher
>>> regardless, as I really believe this set will outlive me, but I am
>>> curious to know what others think.

>>Congratulations, Boron! I've been eyeing that set every time I go to
>>Costco, but I really don't need to replace any of mine yet, so I can't
>>justify the purchase right now.

> Thank you. IT sure does look pretty. Now I feel like I'm going to have
> to cook!
>>
>>My current set is similar in design except for the handles and I've had
>>it for ~15 years. I have routinely washed it in the dishwasher ever
>>since I bought it, and it has held up well. There is some very slight
>>pitting in my 6.5 qt stockpot because I tend to put salt into the water
>>for boiling pasta before the water is hot.
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/r6dwa

> Those are lovely. They have curved lines like the Costco ones. I like
> that.

Thank you. It was the curved lines that attracted me to my set when I
bought it, as well as to the Kirkland set. When you get used to using
them, I bet you won't want to return to straight-sided pans. When
stirring, things tend to stay in the pan better.

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-03-15, Boron Elgar > wrote:

> So I went to Costco and saw their made in Italy, 5 ply stainless set
> for $199.

I wouldn't worry about it. The Costco return policy is such that you
can return them for any reason at all, forever. A neat trick I
learned with my highly polish French SS cookware set, use oven cleaner
to remove any cooked/burned on grunge you may get from spatter or
boilover. Avoids scratching and dulling the polished exterior
surfaces with abrasive pads/powders.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boron Elgar wrote:
> My favorite 3.5 qt saucepan became increasingly wobbly on my smooth
> top range. Why, I do not know, as all the obvious reasons/causes
> couldn't have occurred, nevertheless, the pot was 13 years old and
> used a lot and had to be replaced.
>
> I decided I wanted an All Clad pot, as I really did not want to play
> around with a crappy pot (I have spent so little on pots and pans in
> my life that I really "deserved" this treat.) and so I priced it all
> over, including on eBay and was impressed with its cost. By the time
> it was shipped or had tax locally, it was going to set me back *well*
> over $100, more likely closer to $125 with serious shopping, and I
> balked.
>
> So I went to Costco and saw their made in Italy, 5 ply stainless set
> for $199. Did I need new pots and pans? No, but the kids are within a
> year or three of (God willing, please...) their own apartments and my
> older stuff will find a new home or two then. I bought the set with
> part of my nifty Costco/AmEx rebate check.
>
> http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...&browse= &s=1
>
> Ok...so I have this beautiful set now and no where does it say
> "dishwasher safe." It does casually mention hand washing before use
> and talks about being careful to add salt to a pot AFTER the water has
> boiled so no pitting occurs. Weird, I'm thinking. I put any stainless
> steel into the dishwasher and have never had a problem with anything
> scratching or boiling with salt water and pitting, but I thought I'd
> ask around here.
>
> Anyone else have the set? Do you put them in the dishwasher? Do you
> endanger them with every pot of pasta? Mine will go in the dishwasher
> regardless, as I really believe this set will outlive me, but I am
> curious to know what others think.

Why didn't you buy just the one pot you originally started out
wanting... I don't love All-Crap, I think they're over priced, and
multi-layer pot sides serve no purpose whatsoever, other than to
rationalize high price... no one cooks on the sides of a pot.

I don't have much faith in a set that gives so many pieces for so
little money... and I don't like that the pots you chose have those
bulged sides, pots with that configuration may be esthetically pleasing
to some but they tend to warp more readily than most... won't be too
very long and that bulge will transfer to the pot bottoms (cold formed
metal is under major stress) and you'll be right back where you
started, pots that rock on a flat top stove.

I'd be wary of the admonitions regarding salt, dishwashers, and
especially not to place them into an oven hotter than 500ºF.... that
is really wierd for all stainless pots with stainless handles, tells me
they know those pots are prone to warp.

I suggest you bring them back to Costco and choose something more
utilitarian... especially since you use a flat top stove and flat pot
bottoms are important.

I highly recommend this cookware, I have them myself:
http://www.bakedeco.com/dept.asp?id=171

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Person wrote:

>>Anyone else have the set? Do you put them in the dishwasher? Do you
>>endanger them with every pot of pasta? Mine will go in the dishwasher
>>regardless, as I really believe this set will outlive me, but I am
>>curious to know what others think.
>>
>>Boron

> I think that's a pretty good set. Enjoy
>
> But while we're on the subject, I've never understood the science behind
> not putting pots in the dishwasher, unless handles or other attachments are
> the problem. Surly can't be the heat from the DW, as stove tops get much
> hotter then that, Strong detergent? possible scratching... i donno.
>
> Larry T.

I think it is the detergent coupled with spotting on the surface when
dried in the dishwasher. I don't put mine in the dishwasher for reasons
explained in another reply. IMO they would take up a lot of room in the
dishwasher. I know my ss stock pots would never fit! Did you know that
your kitchen knives not regular eating knives, should never go in the
dishwasher as well because you can ruin the blade? Until I bought a
nice set of kitchen knives, I did not know this. My new set in
Cuisinart Stainless Steel Ultra edge with all in one ss handles meaning
no seam from blade to handle. They are always washed by hand
immediately after using.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boron Elgar wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 16:35:52 GMT, "Person" >
> wrote:
>

>>>Anyone else have the set? Do you put them in the dishwasher? Do you
>>>endanger them with every pot of pasta? Mine will go in the dishwasher
>>>regardless, as I really believe this set will outlive me, but I am
>>>curious to know what others think.
>>>
>>>Boron

>>I think that's a pretty good set. Enjoy
>>
>>But while we're on the subject, I've never understood the science behind
>>not putting pots in the dishwasher, unless handles or other attachments are
>>the problem. Surly can't be the heat from the DW, as stove tops get much
>>hotter then that, Strong detergent? possible scratching... i donno.
>>
>>Larry T.
>>

> I assumed scratching, but when I get going in a cooking frenzy, those
> pots and pans are going to get bonked and moved and plopped in the
> sink, etc...they have to stand up to a lot. I have never noticed any
> serious cosmetic damage to my pots and pans, some of which I have had
> for over 30 years.
>
> Behind my back the kids have, on occasion, put an aluminum pan or
> cookie sheet in the dishwasher & it gets grayed and dull, but an SOS
> scrubbing makes it sparkle again. Never had any problem with
> stainless, though.
>
> 'Boron

From experience, do not try to bleach aluminum cookie sheets! It turns
a nasty dull grey that eventually comes off with wear but looks just
horrible until it does.

PS. Nice set of pots
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 10:59:28 -0600, notbob > wrote:

>On 2006-03-15, Boron Elgar > wrote:
>
>> So I went to Costco and saw their made in Italy, 5 ply stainless set
>> for $199.

>I wouldn't worry about it. The Costco return policy is such that you
>can return them for any reason at all, forever. A neat trick I
>learned with my highly polish French SS cookware set, use oven cleaner
>to remove any cooked/burned on grunge you may get from spatter or
>boilover. Avoids scratching and dulling the polished exterior
>surfaces with abrasive pads/powders.
>
>nb

Their return policy is one of the reasons I buy as many of my
household goods there as possible.

I'll keep the oven cleaner in mind.

I wonder if that Dawn crud remover spray would work, too. It is really
great for the inside of a microwave (mine is SS inside) when something
explodes.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-03-15, ~patches~ > wrote:

> Does that really work without damaging the finish? My trick is to pour
> a generous amount of baking soda onto the bottom of the pot, cover with
> water, bring to a boil then let sit until cooled.

I'm talking about the shiny exterior finish that will be scratched or
dulled by any real scrubbing. Screw the interior. Hell, I've burnt,
scorched, discolored, and damn near melted my cookware multiple times.
I don't give a damn what it looks like on the inside. But, the
outside, which has a mirror bright finish, is the tricky part.

Whenever I cook something with a splattter factor (burgers, bacon,
etc), the grease splatters all over the stovetop and on the other
electric burners. I can clean the enamel stovetop, but not so the
grease on the burner coils. Usually, I heat up the coil alone and let
the grease burn off before putting a pan on it, but sometimes I'm in a
hurry and forget. When this happens, burning grease from the coil
will leave burnt fat grunge on my nice shiny finish. At first, I used
just soap and a soft sponge and a lot of rubbing to remove the
grunge. Then, one day, I tried some oven cleaner on a small spot.
Voila! Works perfect and does not damage the shiny finish, even with
repeated applications. Wish I'd discovered it sooner.

With a smooth induction top, you probably won't have this problem.

WARNING: Do not use oven cleaner on any pan that has exposed aluminum!!

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boron Elgar > writes:

>Anyone else have the set? Do you put them in the dishwasher? Do you
>endanger them with every pot of pasta? Mine will go in the dishwasher
>regardless, as I really believe this set will outlive me, but I am
>curious to know what others think.

My Calphalon pan said it would survive a dishwasher but it recommended
hand washing, so I just hand wash it. I've always got 1 or 2 things
that can't go in the dishwasher like wooden handled utensils or my grill
pan so I just wash the pan when I wash the others.
I don't have the set you do but I'd like to get some new ones. My
nonstick pans are getting wobbly, although I don't know why.

Stacia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
> My favorite 3.5 qt saucepan became increasingly wobbly on my smooth
> top range. Why, I do not know, as all the obvious reasons/causes
> couldn't have occurred, nevertheless, the pot was 13 years old and
> used a lot and had to be replaced.
>
> I decided I wanted an All Clad pot, as I really did not want to play
> around with a crappy pot (I have spent so little on pots and pans in
> my life that I really "deserved" this treat.) and so I priced it all
> over, including on eBay and was impressed with its cost. By the time
> it was shipped or had tax locally, it was going to set me back *well*
> over $100, more likely closer to $125 with serious shopping, and I
> balked.
>
> So I went to Costco and saw their made in Italy, 5 ply stainless set
> for $199. Did I need new pots and pans? No, but the kids are within a
> year or three of (God willing, please...) their own apartments and my
> older stuff will find a new home or two then. I bought the set with
> part of my nifty Costco/AmEx rebate check.
>
> http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...&browse= &s=1
>
> Ok...so I have this beautiful set now and no where does it say
> "dishwasher safe." It does casually mention hand washing before use
> and talks about being careful to add salt to a pot AFTER the water has
> boiled so no pitting occurs. Weird, I'm thinking. I put any stainless
> steel into the dishwasher and have never had a problem with anything
> scratching or boiling with salt water and pitting, but I thought I'd
> ask around here.
>
> Anyone else have the set? Do you put them in the dishwasher? Do you
> endanger them with every pot of pasta? Mine will go in the dishwasher
> regardless, as I really believe this set will outlive me, but I am
> curious to know what others think.
>
> Boron

Hello, Boron. I just read your post and all the answers. I bought this set
in July of last year. I've never put any of them in the dishwasher. I've
never had a set of stainless pans that I've liked so well. Before I bought
these, maybe 2 years previous, I bought a set of Kirkland "professional
pans - non-stick - the black ones -- made in Hong Kong -- I believe they
were $149 or $199. After using them a couple of years I decided I'd like
some stainless steel for higher temperature cooking, and when I saw these at
Costco I fell in love with them. They are absolutely wonderful.

However, since someone was saying about Costco's return policy and it has
always been perfect for me -- I am wondering about one of these pans, if it
is a defect. Well -- I will say it IS a defect. I noticed in the last few
months a dotted line (perhaps 4-6" now ?) around the middle of the smallest
pan. This line is not raised, it is more (I don't know if this is the
correct word to describe an indentation) 'bas relief' however minor. When
I just now took another look at it, and reading your posting that you have
new pans, and before your 30 days is up, I thought I'd let you know.

I'm not quite sure what to say to Costco. I don't know whether they would
tell me to contact the seller (isn't that Kirkland?) or they would replace
this one, or the whole set -- I have no idea -- but it is of concern to me
as I have a whole set of these pans that now I'm wondering, is all the
covering going to drop off -- a bit of hyperbole. I don't know if this
would show up in a photo, it might be hard to get a photo without flash --
and I'd have to work on the macro/micro (whatever setting that is on my
camera for closeups) to make sure it shows up. But I'd be willing to try if
you want to see it.

This isn't much help for you being so elated with your new pans -- I love
mine so much, too. Everythings cooks so fast, fast in them; no dripping
because of the tops (Wayne told me that). I fried chicken on top of the
stove (Cooks Illustrated suggestions) 5 min on one side, 3 on another and
then into the oven for 18 minutes at 450. Now this is a pan!

I was at Costco earlier tonight and I walked by the pans and I was so glad I
had bought them. But I'm glad I didn't put mine in the dishwasher because
of this problem; at least I know that I didn't cause it.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message

> Anyone else have the set? Do you put them in the dishwasher? Do you
> endanger them with every pot of pasta? Mine will go in the dishwasher
> regardless, as I really believe this set will outlive me, but I am
> curious to know what others think.

Have them. Love them. Dishwasher them all the time. Well, except for the
stockpot and the large frying pan -- both of which are too big for my
dishwasher.

I got the pots a while back -- I think close to 2 years now. I haven't
noticed anything happening to them due to dishwasher washing, but I have to
admit it would have to be pretty big or somehow interfere with how well they
cook for me to notice.

They're tools. I don't expect them to look pretty, I expect them to
function well. I don't care if there are tiny scratches on the outside.
Not that I know if there are -- I've never really looked.

Oh, I forgot -- I use that Dawn power spray stuff on them sometimes. But
only when they need it, which is pretty seldom. My general approach to
dirty pots is to stick them in the dishwasher. I don't even rinse them
first, although I do of course scrape them if they need it. If they aren't
clean after one go-around in the dishwasher (happens every now and then), I
run them through again on the next load. In the unlikely event they're
still not clean, I Dawn power-gunk them.

Anny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 00:50:35 -0500, "Dee Randall"
> wrote:

>> Anyone else have the set? Do you put them in the dishwasher? Do you
>> endanger them with every pot of pasta? Mine will go in the dishwasher
>> regardless, as I really believe this set will outlive me, but I am
>> curious to know what others think.

snip

>However, since someone was saying about Costco's return policy and it has
>always been perfect for me -- I am wondering about one of these pans, if it
>is a defect. Well -- I will say it IS a defect. I noticed in the last few
>months a dotted line (perhaps 4-6" now ?) around the middle of the smallest
>pan. This line is not raised, it is more (I don't know if this is the
>correct word to describe an indentation) 'bas relief' however minor. When
>I just now took another look at it, and reading your posting that you have
>new pans, and before your 30 days is up, I thought I'd let you know.

I'd take it back to Costco. If I remember tonight, I will dig out the
warranty and see what it says, but if it's lifetime, take it back.

>I'm not quite sure what to say to Costco. I don't know whether they would
>tell me to contact the seller (isn't that Kirkland?) or they would replace
>this one, or the whole set -- I have no idea -- but it is of concern to me
>as I have a whole set of these pans that now I'm wondering, is all the
>covering going to drop off -- a bit of hyperbole. I don't know if this
>would show up in a photo, it might be hard to get a photo without flash --
>and I'd have to work on the macro/micro (whatever setting that is on my
>camera for closeups) to make sure it shows up. But I'd be willing to try if
>you want to see it.

They are very accepting about such things, but I do not know if they
will take back just one pan...they might want to exchange the whole
lot of them

>This isn't much help for you being so elated with your new pans -- I love
>mine so much, too. Everythings cooks so fast, fast in them; no dripping
>because of the tops (Wayne told me that). I fried chicken on top of the
>stove (Cooks Illustrated suggestions) 5 min on one side, 3 on another and
>then into the oven for 18 minutes at 450. Now this is a pan!

WOO-hoo!

>I was at Costco earlier tonight and I walked by the pans and I was so glad I
>had bought them. But I'm glad I didn't put mine in the dishwasher because
>of this problem; at least I know that I didn't cause it.

The paperwork does not say the pots cannot be put into the dishwasher.
It avoids the topic altogether. Even so, a dishwasher might discolor
or scratch a pot, but it cannot damage it structurally.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 14:53:58 GMT, "Anny Middon"
> wrote:

>"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
.. .

>> Anyone else have the set? Do you put them in the dishwasher? Do you
>> endanger them with every pot of pasta? Mine will go in the dishwasher
>> regardless, as I really believe this set will outlive me, but I am
>> curious to know what others think.
>>

> Have them. Love them. Dishwasher them all the time. Well, except for the
>stockpot and the large frying pan -- both of which are too big for my
>dishwasher.
>
>I got the pots a while back -- I think close to 2 years now. I haven't
>noticed anything happening to them due to dishwasher washing, but I have to
>admit it would have to be pretty big or somehow interfere with how well they
>cook for me to notice.
>
>They're tools. I don't expect them to look pretty, I expect them to
>function well. I don't care if there are tiny scratches on the outside.
>Not that I know if there are -- I've never really looked.

I feel the same way.

>Oh, I forgot -- I use that Dawn power spray stuff on them sometimes. But
>only when they need it, which is pretty seldom. My general approach to
>dirty pots is to stick them in the dishwasher. I don't even rinse them
>first, although I do of course scrape them if they need it. If they aren't
>clean after one go-around in the dishwasher (happens every now and then), I
>run them through again on the next load. In the unlikely event they're
>still not clean, I Dawn power-gunk them.
>
>Anny

If the Dawn power gunk were a publicly traded company all by itself,
I'd buy stock in it.

Boron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I'd take it back to Costco. If I remember tonight, I will dig out the
> warranty and see what it says, but if it's lifetime, take it back.

> They are very accepting about such things, but I do not know if they
> will take back just one pan...they might want to exchange the whole
> lot of them.

I'm going to take it back. I measured the line and it is 6-3/4" long around
a circumference of 19-1/2". I'd better do it now, and I'll let them decide
what to do. Perhaps they can dig out a pan replacement out of the warehouse
of others that might have been returned. Hopeful.

> The paperwork does not say the pots cannot be put into the dishwasher.
> It avoids the topic altogether. Even so, a dishwasher might discolor
> or scratch a pot, but it cannot damage it structurally.

I scan most of my purchases and scan related sales slips. In this case, I
did. I looked through and did not see anything about dishwasher washing
either. One thing I did read, but more associated with my problem.

"Every Kirkland Signature product is guaranteed to meet or exceed the
quality standards of the leading national brands. If you're not completely
satisfied, your money will be refunded."

If this is the case, a possibility is getting my money refunded and buy the
set again.

We'll see. But I probably would have put this off to the point of no
return. I'm glad you nudged me.

I've called Costco Customer Service in the past, but it is not as easy
nowadays to get thru to them. But it would be a good question to ask them.

Dee Dee

> Boron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-03-16, Boron Elgar > wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 00:50:35 -0500, "Dee Randall"

>>However, since someone was saying about Costco's return policy and it has
>>always been perfect for me -- I am wondering about one of these pans, if it
>>is a defect.

Sounds like. Return 'em, the whole set.

> I'd take it back to Costco. If I remember tonight, I will dig out the
> warranty and see what it says, but if it's lifetime, take it back.

When I researched joining Costco, I made a big issue of their return
policy and questioned them at length. I finally joined based on their
policy, which is: You can return anything, anytime, for any reason. No
questions asked. Naturally, the cleark will ask why the return,
because he has to put something on the paperwork. But, I was assured
even if I just changed my mind about the color, all returns would be
accepted. The only exception to this policy applies to computers and
laptops, which have six month limit. Not computer monitors, just the
computer.

I say: Take it back!!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-03-16, Dee Randall > wrote:

> I'm going to take it back. I measured the line and it is 6-3/4" long around
> a circumference of 19-1/2".

Does the line look like rust? I'm wondering if the pan may have been
stressed or torn or welded. I noticed those overpriced Global knives
will start rusting where the handle is welded to the blade if left
in water too long.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 16:18:18 -0500, "Dee Randall"
> wrote:

>> I'd take it back to Costco. If I remember tonight, I will dig out the
>> warranty and see what it says, but if it's lifetime, take it back.

>> They are very accepting about such things, but I do not know if they
>> will take back just one pan...they might want to exchange the whole
>> lot of them.

>I'm going to take it back. I measured the line and it is 6-3/4" long around
>a circumference of 19-1/2". I'd better do it now, and I'll let them decide
>what to do. Perhaps they can dig out a pan replacement out of the warehouse
>of others that might have been returned. Hopeful.
>

>> The paperwork does not say the pots cannot be put into the dishwasher.
>> It avoids the topic altogether. Even so, a dishwasher might discolor
>> or scratch a pot, but it cannot damage it structurally.

>I scan most of my purchases and scan related sales slips. In this case, I
>did. I looked through and did not see anything about dishwasher washing
>either. One thing I did read, but more associated with my problem.
>
>"Every Kirkland Signature product is guaranteed to meet or exceed the
>quality standards of the leading national brands. If you're not completely
>satisfied, your money will be refunded."

Yes, I just checked here at home and that is exactly what it says. So
go on and take it back.

>I've called Costco Customer Service in the past, but it is not as easy
>nowadays to get thru to them. But it would be a good question to ask them.

Don't bother, just take it in the next time you shop. I have never,
ever had any problem with their customer service dep't. They seem to
go out of their way to please the customer. It is amazing. In my case
it has paid off for them because I buy everything I can there.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2006-03-16, Dee Randall > wrote:
>
>> I'm going to take it back. I measured the line and it is 6-3/4" long
>> around
>> a circumference of 19-1/2".

> Does the line look like rust? I'm wondering if the pan may have been
> stressed or torn or welded. I noticed those overpriced Global knives
> will start rusting where the handle is welded to the blade if left
> in water too long.
>
> nb

This dotted line around the pot has extended from about 3" when it first
started to about 6-3/4" now around the circumference of abt. 19-1/2". It
is mid-line half-way between the top and bottom of the pan. In the dots
there is a teensy bit of rust showing and these dots are slightly pitted.

Here is a picture, but you will really have to scrutinize it to see the
line, once you see it, you can figure out where it is, you can tell what I'm
talking about. I couldn't get it even without a flash to show up without my
camera showing up in the surface of the pan.
http://tinypic.com/rkbog2.jpg

Thanks Boron and nb for your support and advice about me taking it back. I
would've probably just let it go. But not now, my sales slip is sitting on
the table for 'things to do."

Yes, Costo has a fine policy on computers, too. I think I heard instead of 6
months, they raised it to 1 year. Could that be possible -- I don't think
so, but still --
I've been wanting a laptop for myself (a smaller weight one) DH has
confiscated mine -- the devil -- and I priced one at Micro, Inc. at $1,099
(I think that's the name) yesterday; went almost immediately to Costco where
I passed by and saw the same one $799. I won't buy it -- 2 reasons, I want
to search further -- and DH is doing taxes this week! Need I say more!
His mood is accordingly.

Looking again at the picture, the spots are indeed from my water and not
wiped clean well enough, but darned if I don't think these spots look a bit
rusty -- my running water is clear. Usually my spotting is clear. Hmmm.
I'll have to take some pictures tomorrow of my other pans to see if the
spots show up rusty, also.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 16 Mar 2006 08:10:54p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee Randall?

> http://tinypic.com/rkbog2.jpg

Dee, that's a VERY odd marking. I would most definitely take it back to
Costco, and i would let them replace either the one pot or the whole set.

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
28.19...
> On Thu 16 Mar 2006 08:10:54p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
> Randall?
>
>> http://tinypic.com/rkbog2.jpg

> Dee, that's a VERY odd marking. I would most definitely take it back to
> Costco, and i would let them replace either the one pot or the whole set.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright o¿o
> ____________________
>
> BIOYA

If they give me any flack, I'm going to print out the emails and plop them
down on their desk. No, they won't give me any flack, I know (fingers
crossed). They are always so nice to me, even if I think that they think
I'm making up an excuse -- so far I've not, the truth always is the best
policy; at least for me.

Yes, this is a strange situation/marking. Just can't figure it out. Must
have something to do with the layers.
Thanks, Wayne.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 22:40:48 -0500, "Dee Randall"
> wrote:

>"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
. 228.19...
>> On Thu 16 Mar 2006 08:10:54p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
>> Randall?
>>
>>> http://tinypic.com/rkbog2.jpg

>> Dee, that's a VERY odd marking. I would most definitely take it back to
>> Costco, and i would let them replace either the one pot or the whole set.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright o¿o
>> ____________________
>>
>> BIOYA

>If they give me any flack, I'm going to print out the emails and plop them
>down on their desk. No, they won't give me any flack, I know (fingers
>crossed). They are always so nice to me, even if I think that they think
>I'm making up an excuse -- so far I've not, the truth always is the best
>policy; at least for me.
>
>Yes, this is a strange situation/marking. Just can't figure it out. Must
>have something to do with the layers.

My husband, who was trained many years ago as a welder and knows his
metals, says there are any number of ways if might have happened. He
also says take it back and bets a quarter that Costco will not make a
peep.

Boron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 22:40:48 -0500, "Dee Randall"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
.228.19...
>>> On Thu 16 Mar 2006 08:10:54p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
>>> Randall?

>>> Dee, that's a VERY odd marking. I would most definitely take it back to
>>> Costco, and i would let them replace either the one pot or the whole
>>> set.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Wayne Boatwright o¿o

>>If they give me any flack, I'm going to print out the emails and plop them
>>down on their desk. No, they won't give me any flack, I know (fingers
>>crossed). They are always so nice to me, even if I think that they think
>>I'm making up an excuse -- so far I've not, the truth always is the best
>>policy; at least for me.
>>
>>Yes, this is a strange situation/marking. Just can't figure it out. Must
>>have something to do with the layers.

> My husband, who was trained many years ago as a welder and knows his
> metals, says there are any number of ways if might have happened. He
> also says take it back and bets a quarter that Costco will not make a
> peep.

> Boron

Hopefully they will not look sullen -- but DH can handle that.
It's would be a hard call to make as to whether to replace the pan or a
whole set. I guess I'd better get that figured out before I stand at the
desk return.

What does your DH say about the odds of happening to all the sets. Now
that's a manufacturing mystery.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 11:56:48 -0500, "Dee Randall"
> wrote:

>"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 22:40:48 -0500, "Dee Randall"
>> > wrote:
>>

>>>"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
2.228.19...

>>>If they give me any flack, I'm going to print out the emails and plop them
>>>down on their desk. No, they won't give me any flack, I know (fingers
>>>crossed). They are always so nice to me, even if I think that they think
>>>I'm making up an excuse -- so far I've not, the truth always is the best
>>>policy; at least for me.
>>>
>>>Yes, this is a strange situation/marking. Just can't figure it out. Must
>>>have something to do with the layers.

>> My husband, who was trained many years ago as a welder and knows his
>> metals, says there are any number of ways if might have happened. He
>> also says take it back and bets a quarter that Costco will not make a
>> peep.

>> Boron

>Hopefully they will not look sullen -- but DH can handle that.
>It's would be a hard call to make as to whether to replace the pan or a
>whole set. I guess I'd better get that figured out before I stand at the
>desk return.

Don't worry about that. If the rest of your pots are fine, why bother
with all unless they offer a full replacement and if the rest of them
develop problems, there is no question they will replace all.

>What does your DH say about the odds of happening to all the sets. Now
>that's a manufacturing mystery.
>Dee Dee

Boron

He thinks it could be something that the pot was next to or rubbed
against, such as cast iron, but that it is hard to tell exactly from
the picture. He said it could also just be a manufacturing flaw.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>>What does your DH say about the odds of happening to all the sets. Now
>>that's a manufacturing mystery.
>>Dee Dee
>>

> Boron
>>

> He thinks it could be something that the pot was next to or rubbed
> against, such as cast iron, but that it is hard to tell exactly from
> the picture. He said it could also just be a manufacturing flaw.

It started out about 3" and then has been continually expanding. I have
easy pull-out drawers in my cabinets and all my pots and pans have their
places on top of towels and never hit against each other, nor ever stacked.
I rarely use cast iron and don't keep them in my cabinets. They are down
stairs in the storage room.
Yeah, the picture is not great -- I took several, but all were impossible to
see well.
Thanks, again.
Dee Dee