Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default New Pots & Pans

On Wed 15 Mar 2006 08:12:08a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Boron
Elgar?

> My favorite 3.5 qt saucepan became increasingly wobbly on my smooth
> top range. Why, I do not know, as all the obvious reasons/causes
> couldn't have occurred, nevertheless, the pot was 13 years old and
> used a lot and had to be replaced.
>
> I decided I wanted an All Clad pot, as I really did not want to play
> around with a crappy pot (I have spent so little on pots and pans in
> my life that I really "deserved" this treat.) and so I priced it all
> over, including on eBay and was impressed with its cost. By the time
> it was shipped or had tax locally, it was going to set me back *well*
> over $100, more likely closer to $125 with serious shopping, and I
> balked.
>
> So I went to Costco and saw their made in Italy, 5 ply stainless set
> for $199. Did I need new pots and pans? No, but the kids are within a
> year or three of (God willing, please...) their own apartments and my
> older stuff will find a new home or two then. I bought the set with
> part of my nifty Costco/AmEx rebate check.
>
> http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...hse=&topnav=&b
> rowse=&s=1
>
> Ok...so I have this beautiful set now and no where does it say
> "dishwasher safe." It does casually mention hand washing before use
> and talks about being careful to add salt to a pot AFTER the water has
> boiled so no pitting occurs. Weird, I'm thinking. I put any stainless
> steel into the dishwasher and have never had a problem with anything
> scratching or boiling with salt water and pitting, but I thought I'd
> ask around here.
>
> Anyone else have the set? Do you put them in the dishwasher? Do you
> endanger them with every pot of pasta? Mine will go in the dishwasher
> regardless, as I really believe this set will outlive me, but I am
> curious to know what others think.

Congratulations, Boron! I've been eyeing that set every time I go to
Costco, but I really don't need to replace any of mine yet, so I can't
justify the purchase right now.

My current set is similar in design except for the handles and I've had it
for ~15 years. I have routinely washed it in the dishwasher ever since I
bought it, and it has held up well. There is some very slight pitting in
my 6.5 qt stockpot because I tend to put salt into the water for boiling
pasta before the water is hot.

http://tinyurl.com/r6dwa

Enjoy your new cookware! You deserve it!

--
Wayne Boatwright տլ