Posted to rec.food.cooking
Boron Elgar[_1_] Boron Elgar[_1_] is offline

Default New Pots & Pans

My favorite 3.5 qt saucepan became increasingly wobbly on my smooth
top range. Why, I do not know, as all the obvious reasons/causes
couldn't have occurred, nevertheless, the pot was 13 years old and
used a lot and had to be replaced.

I decided I wanted an All Clad pot, as I really did not want to play
around with a crappy pot (I have spent so little on pots and pans in
my life that I really "deserved" this treat.) and so I priced it all
over, including on eBay and was impressed with its cost. By the time
it was shipped or had tax locally, it was going to set me back *well*
over $100, more likely closer to $125 with serious shopping, and I
balked.

So I went to Costco and saw their made in Italy, 5 ply stainless set
for $199. Did I need new pots and pans? No, but the kids are within a
year or three of (God willing, please...) their own apartments and my
older stuff will find a new home or two then. I bought the set with
part of my nifty Costco/AmEx rebate check.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...&browse= &s=1

Ok...so I have this beautiful set now and no where does it say
"dishwasher safe." It does casually mention hand washing before use
and talks about being careful to add salt to a pot AFTER the water has
boiled so no pitting occurs. Weird, I'm thinking. I put any stainless
steel into the dishwasher and have never had a problem with anything
scratching or boiling with salt water and pitting, but I thought I'd
ask around here.

Anyone else have the set? Do you put them in the dishwasher? Do you
endanger them with every pot of pasta? Mine will go in the dishwasher
regardless, as I really believe this set will outlive me, but I am
curious to know what others think.

Boron